Overwatch

Jun 23

Jun 23

PS3 Firmware (v2.80) Update

Eric Lempel's Avatar Posted by SVP, PlayStation Network

Hello, I just wanted to provide everyone with a head’s up that the next PLAYSTATION 3 system software update (v2.80) will be coming soon. The playback quality of some PLAYSTATION 3 format software has been improved.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 14

DoomnY said:

June 23rd, 4:47 pm

Sony ur ancient soft gives us nothing. When we get simple mp3 during the game on both platforms for example? When we get cross game VOICE chat?

ShadowTalyis said:

June 23rd, 4:48 pm

Man I hope there are some new features seriously my playback is fine here is my list on what should be included!
1. some new Visualizers like the planet earth visualizer.
2. Party voice chat.
3. Trophy level by our name.
4. VIDZONE for all regions.
5. Trophy support in HOME.
6. ingame music for all games.
7. online trophy level rankings.
8. smooth in game internet browsing
I mean come on Sony I swear wasn’t the last update the same thing!

TerryVSL said:

June 23rd, 4:48 pm

Twitter???

Xbots are so desperate to sit around in the F-ing Playstation Blog trying to brag about…Twitter???

LOL!

Every PS3 has a browser dimwit. The PS3 has Twitter and every other thing on the web since November 2006.

Go back to crying over the fake Metal Gear Solid game Kojima disowned and waiting for your EyeToy ripoff coming out in late 2010.

Thunder626 said:

June 23rd, 4:48 pm

The playback quality of some PLAYSTATION 3 format software has been improved.

This is getting OLD. Don’t get me wrong I think it’s great that you’re updating the system. But I think it’s silly that I have to go to another site later to find out what the update does. Can you please just treat us like adults and provide the info here. I don’t know about the rest of you but I thought this was the place to get the latest and greatest PlayStation news.

grundmoon said:

June 23rd, 4:48 pm

owwwwww =(
I love new frimwares… but stuff like this… is just sad =(

KatanaKing said:

June 23rd, 4:49 pm

I remember the 23rd of march when i first recived my PS3, then every month a firmware update, some small, some big, but usually once a month. Then the big announcement that Sony was going to stop with the monthly FW updates and concentrate in beter updates but with a latger timespace between them. Well until now i am still waiting for the quality FW updates, again another minuscule update which doesn;t add anything worth having, just improves playback of some PS3 software…….wow, is that the best the developers at Sony could come up with, fixing bugs which should have been fixed before releasing the product to the general public???

Another month = another crappy FW update

SilverPR said:

June 23rd, 4:51 pm

Be more especific…. like what kinda software or games are we talking about?

KatanaKing said:

June 23rd, 4:52 pm

Something else that has fallen to my attention. If there is are any FW announcement, no one ever replys to our postings…???

Strange

Eric, feel free to prove us wrong.

xG-ei8ht said:

June 23rd, 4:53 pm

Eric Lempel // Director, PlayStation Network Operations.

Could you please ask the Firmware team to add AD2P support for AUDIO out. I want to listen to music and movies and play games using my SONY STEREO WIRELESS HEADPHONES.

Thankyou.

BlooodyCow said:

June 23rd, 4:53 pm

@Erasure242
Smoke signals? No dude, this update allow to send braille message during games. Helen Keller would be proud of Eric Lempel and the work he is doing

TerryVSL said:

June 23rd, 4:54 pm

“When we get cross game VOICE chat?”

OMG!!! This is absolutely a TOP PRIORITY!!!

DoomnY must be able to be play My Pretty Pony and chat with his buds who are all playing Barbie’s Horse Adventures!

You can do this right now on teh Xbox!!! Where are you Sony???

nutellapr said:

June 23rd, 4:54 pm

“Firmware 2.80 coming soon, does very little” – Joystiq

This is the kind of crap press the PS3 gets with one liner press release. Amateurs.

PheeePS said:

June 23rd, 4:54 pm

I didnt realise that some of the PS3 software did not work correctly to be fixed by this firmware…. :D

Erasure242 said:

June 23rd, 4:57 pm

@TerryVSL… It is people like you that makes the Sony fan-base community look bad with sour grape posts like that. When did this become a 360 issue? Last time I checked everybody was using twitter so if someone suggests it there is nothing wrong with it. And you are bashing a MGS game that is also coming out for the PS3. Last interview I read Kojima WILL be involved… So if your going to bash a game on the other system your basically bashing the upcoming PS3 version as well.

tetsou9shima said:

June 23rd, 4:58 pm

Boy you’d think Eric would get the hint after 163 comments all asking for the same thing. Read slowly Eric. Can you please give us more information. Thanks

PheeePS said:

June 23rd, 5:01 pm

I wonder if he just copied and pasted from the previous firmare post for 2.76

“Hello, I just wanted to provide everyone with a head’s up that the next PLAYSTATION 3 system software update (v.2.76) will be coming soon. This is a minor update that improves the playback quality of some PS3 format software.”

LoL

PhillyPhreak said:

June 23rd, 5:01 pm

@ comment 26 – Grow the hell up, nancy.

armorw said:

June 23rd, 5:02 pm

Hello !

Voice chat in games and software support of PS2 games in the next update should be great please.

TakiFuGu said:

June 23rd, 5:03 pm

I don’t think there any new features added with this update. Oh well. Some day will be able use our own photos as our PSN Avatar.

Netweb said:

June 23rd, 5:03 pm

Guys, Sony!!!
Help Me!

I have YLOD and i bought another PS3..
But i can’t download anything what i bought from PlayStation Store, because in the dead consola i was sharing for 5 systems… can i request a request to Sony to desactive my sharing?

station3fever said:

June 23rd, 5:04 pm

Here we go again :(
Security patch!!!!!

floppy72 said:

June 23rd, 5:05 pm

STOP WITH THIS MINI USELESS UPDATES ( WITH THE HIGH RISK EVERY TIME OF BREAKING THE PS3 )

BRING ONLY ONE BIG UPDATE ( SERIOUS UPDATE WITH BIG IMPROVEMENT )

AND ANOTHER THING

DON’T FORCE ME TO UPDATE TO PLAY ONLNE .

I WANT TO CHOOSE TO UPDATE OR NOT AND PLAY ONLINE WHATEVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(_*_) FLOPPY72

ReCo-77 said:

June 23rd, 5:06 pm

very nice
Thanks ,, ~

AaronF said:

June 23rd, 5:06 pm

Vaguest release note ever.

Erasure242 said:

June 23rd, 5:07 pm

LOL @ BlooodyCow

jasondorsey2001 said:

June 23rd, 5:07 pm

I hope this fixes the online issue, cause sometimes I’m able to log in, but sometimes not & when I’m not I’m getting that DNS error.

DNAgent said:

June 23rd, 5:07 pm

I think every firmware update should at LEAST include some avatars for your PSN profile. We’ve had the same avatars (Altair, Haze, Resistance, etc.) for a while now.

Nero-_-25 said:

June 23rd, 5:08 pm

I getting tired of these crap updates. Microsoft gets Last.fm, Facebook and Twitter, netflix and we get this crap. Come on sony get appletv or apple itunes for the ps3. You guys are losing badly.

quiomar01 said:

June 23rd, 5:10 pm

wouldn’t it be better to hold off on these minor updates and tag’em along with the bigger ones? Just a thought. Unless, somehow this minor update is needed to prepare the system for a bigger one.

warmachineMPT said:

June 23rd, 5:12 pm

Nice new update…. I hope its not only about what you wrote there …… MORE AVATARS would be nice….what about more video format support I like been able to play all my video files in my big screen tv =)

DKShadow said:

June 23rd, 5:12 pm

Small updates are great, but please do tell us what they do. Making changes means you’ve initially made a list of to-do’s for the update, so it shouldn’t be too hard to simply show us which ones you’ve done. Thanks.

eaferrari24 said:

June 23rd, 5:14 pm

YESSSS! I love this update thanks!! I LOVE YOU SONY

jdude95 said:

June 23rd, 5:15 pm

darn I was expecting more…..I bet there will be some big ps3 changing update in like fall or something…something that will make it way better just how in game xmb did…It’s been a while since one of those updates…Anyways just little minor improvements are good too I guess…

Stoffinator said:

June 23rd, 5:15 pm

Eric, the man of few words.

iComet said:

June 23rd, 5:16 pm

U
S
E
L
E
S
S

nutellapr said:

June 23rd, 5:16 pm

I encourage everyone to give this a 1 star rating now!!

ONE STAR
ONE STAR
ONE STAR
ONE STAR

harryboy3264 said:

June 23rd, 5:18 pm

Wow, are Sony too lazy to add something that people actually want? Are you guys too uncreative to get some ideas? God. Things I want:
1. Twitter on the information board.
2. In-Game voice chat.
3. trophy room in Home.
4. Allow you to change your PSN name.
5. Move the battery icon.
Other than that, PS3>360 :P

Nero-_-25 said:

June 23rd, 5:19 pm

U
S
E
L
E
S
S

angelcoma said:

June 23rd, 5:19 pm

Wow I seen some of the dumbest comments on here, no one they ignore everyone.

I like the people that say “OMG WE ARE GAMERS SONY GIVE US GAME UPDATES,” last I checked, improving PS3 software is good for gamers and everyone else. Last time it made the XMB load a ton quicker.

The ‘OMG WE SHOULD GET FACEBOOK APP,’ there is a web browser on PS3 already. I swear PS3 fanboys want EVERYTHING Xbox gets, next thing they will complain they want Red Ring of Death on PS3.

I agree, I wish it had more details in the post. TSH TSH!

MEsoJD said:

June 23rd, 5:21 pm

No Video? must not be a special update but thann again the last update with video intro was undewelming. Whatever its all still appreciated.

Tracidic said:

June 23rd, 5:22 pm

What did they ninja in this time?

S-E-G said:

June 23rd, 5:22 pm

i’m really shocked that they are already up to 2.80, it looks more like we are at 1.00 feature wise, so we’re getting a new firware and there’s also an update to the blog coming, hmmm let me guess, we will be able to post messages on this blog directly from the ps3 or HOME.

Tezasaurus said:

June 23rd, 5:25 pm

Sony: Here’s a firmware update, it fixes some stuff. *shrug*

Thanks for the no-information. Just say what it does if you insist on doing so many small firmware updates (that still require a large download over a network that has pretty random download speeds).

Dravonic said:

June 23rd, 5:25 pm

FINALLY!

Have been waiting for an update for quite some time.

Hopefully it will also have something else than playback quality improvements.

Destiny89 said:

June 23rd, 5:26 pm

Woow whenever there is the word ( update) everyone start posting comments :P

mushroomwig said:

June 23rd, 5:27 pm

@127

I love how you put “We just want to make the ps3 better”

1) You make it sound so easy, do you have the slightest idea about programming?

2) Who is “we” exactly? You’re not doing anything to make the PS3 better, you’re only giving people stupid ideas for updates that will never happen because;

i) The PS3 doesn’t have unlimited memory

ii) It takes a LOT of time to implement only a SMALL ammount of things on your list.

Please, learn programming and come back with a new list.

ThaLuser said:

June 23rd, 5:28 pm

I hope this update doesn’t break the Ubuntu installation on my PS3.

Nero-_-25 said:

June 23rd, 5:28 pm

@188

Are you also going to defend Sony for not giving us new avatars. They havent added avatars for a year or two now. Sony is just plain lazy

Dorian_D said:

June 23rd, 5:32 pm

All I want is in-game chat!! Bascially one friend could be playing one game and the other can be just surfing on the interwebs or an other game. PLEASE!!!

S-E-G said:

June 23rd, 5:34 pm

hmmm, PS3 firware update and a blog update, hmmm, i’m guessing we will be able to post on this blog from the PS3 or from HOME and the PSN ticker will be replaced by a live blog ticker.

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 14