GTAV PS4

PlayStation Eye Chat: Shatter for PSN

Chris Morell's Avatar + Posted by Chris Morell on Jun 26, 2009 // Senior Social Media Specialist

Man, somehow we missed the incredibly cool upcoming PSN game, Shatter, at E3. Thankfully, the kind folks at developer Sidhe agreed to participate in the PSB’s first-ever video interview using the PlayStation Eye. And considering the company resides down in New Zealand (insert generic Flight of the Conchords quip here), it’s just about the only way to get them talking in-person.

Shatter is like Arkanoid on steroids…and we mean that in the most positive way. Here, Managing Director Mario Wynands talks about the game’s slick graphics, power-ups and unique push/pull gameplay that makes this PSN game the real deal.

And what do you think of the PS3 Video Chat format via the Eye? Drop a comment and let us know…it could be a great way to conduct interviews with folks from across the globe.

+ jqtaxpayer on June 26th, 2009 at 4:10 pm said:

Shatter? Doesn’t that sounds a little too close to [DELETED]? I don’t know, pardon my French, but it’s not the name I would’ve picked, folks…

+ DTXSFC on June 26th, 2009 at 4:17 pm said:

I think it’s a great idea to keep the Playstation Eye format. Anyway you gotta represent!

+ pscoolman on June 26th, 2009 at 4:19 pm said:

Loved the PS Eye idea its looks really cool and you guys should do all of your interviews like this you know so then you wont have to make all these arrangements for a meeting place for a face to face interview. And Jeff one question, will you guys plan to make the rumored Playstation Cloud soon

Thanks in Advance!!
Loved the PS Eye idea

+ katsuo7171 on June 26th, 2009 at 4:32 pm said:

lol pause it at 6:27 chris was about to fall asleep. :P

Anyways I like the idea of the video chat over the PS eye. Is there anyway that you can randomly select people with PS eye’s on the blog to also sit in and ask questions? You know like G4?

Overall good, but Chris’ Audio was harder to hear.

+ StargamerX on June 26th, 2009 at 4:44 pm said:

Cool interview. You guys seem to be adding a lot of cool features to the Blog.

*A feature I would like to see is PlayStation Blog integration on the XMB!

+ StargamerX on June 26th, 2009 at 4:45 pm said:

Cool interview. It seems you guys are adding a lot of cool features.

*A feature I would like to see is PlayStation Blog integration into the XMB!

+ DoomnY on June 26th, 2009 at 4:47 pm said:

Can someone write word from movie, time 1:24? I don’t know this word and what does it mean. Cannot find in dictionary.

Chris Morell's Avatar

+ Mario Wynands on June 26th, 2009 at 5:51 pm said:

I said \”Breakout\” and \”Arkanoid\” around that time which are the example retro games the dev team played as kids which Shatter was inspired by.

+ Delriach on June 26th, 2009 at 4:47 pm said:

I notice I page 2, there is a “Add Reply” button under every single comment…. O_o

Chris Morell's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on June 26th, 2009 at 10:29 pm said:

Yeah, there\’s been some weirdness since we\’ve switched over to the new server system. Hopefully this\’ll be fixed by Monday.

+ ILOVEPLASTATION3 on June 26th, 2009 at 4:54 pm said:

Hmmm on the second page, it says “Add Reply”…i doubt we are suppose to be able to do this. lol

Also sorry if someone already said this.

+ ILOVEPLASTATION3 on June 26th, 2009 at 4:56 pm said:

WHY AREN’T MY COMMENTS SHOWING UP! lol

I noticed the same thing 108

+ ILOVEPLASTATION3 on June 26th, 2009 at 4:57 pm said:

why aren’t my comments showing up??? :(

+ Blackxino on June 26th, 2009 at 5:01 pm said:

give us a keyword for the Playstation Cloud!

“The keyword is in the method”

+ PHI_aXiom on June 26th, 2009 at 5:09 pm said:

Voice Chat is a very nice chat
I thought it was funny how he was wearing an official PlayStation blue tooth advertisement?

+ mastrofallz on June 26th, 2009 at 5:11 pm said:

I wish we can add replys. :(

+ mastrofallz on June 26th, 2009 at 5:11 pm said:

WHERE ARE MY COMMENTS!?

+ JPMCH on June 26th, 2009 at 5:21 pm said:

Well I don’t know where do I can ask this, but can someone tell me when is the Zombie Apocalypse Release Date?

+ The1stMJC on June 26th, 2009 at 5:25 pm said:

Gotta do all interviews like this it is great to see and it shows the power of the PS3.
Sadly there are some people that either don’t know it can do that or never use it.

oh and Shatter has been on my radar since e3. can’t wait it looks like it can become my new gaming drug

+ freakzilla149 on June 26th, 2009 at 5:41 pm said:

This would be a great way for the EU blog to get interviews with US devs.

OFFTOPIC: I think it would be nice to see some info on highly anticipated multiplatform games.

+ starBlinky01 on June 26th, 2009 at 5:47 pm said:

this was a reaaally good idea! I found the guy kinda hard to listen to though, hes really monotone. But I am sure he’s also not use to doing very many interviews.

But really sweet idea man, love to see more like this. One every week at least! Its great because it also advertises the PS3s video chat feature, which I am sure is underused.

Chris Morell's Avatar

+ Mario Wynands on June 26th, 2009 at 5:54 pm said:

Ha! Nope, I do a lot of interviews, just monotone normally I guess :)

Laid back NZ style or something.

+ starBlinky01 on June 26th, 2009 at 5:51 pm said:

wtf happened to my comment!?

ugh. Anyways, I forgot to talk about the game in my reply, and it looks really cool!!

Hope its $4.99, we need more $4.99 DLC on PSN.

+ footballrule on June 26th, 2009 at 5:54 pm said:

That is good advertisment

+ Silent_Gig on June 26th, 2009 at 5:54 pm said:

I love games like this and i also love supporting developers like you guys, so definitly a day one buy.

Any word on a UK release?

Chris Morell's Avatar

+ Mario Wynands on June 26th, 2009 at 5:55 pm said:

We haven\’t announced release dates as yet, but hope to do so soon.

The UK release should be very close to the US release. Hopefully on the same day even.

+ PullusPardusUS on June 26th, 2009 at 5:59 pm said:

woah i can reply now!
thanks Chris!

+ cnn93 on June 26th, 2009 at 6:13 pm said:

how fast is the internet you got in the “blog-o-shpere”?

cause that looks like amazing!

+ Scrucifix on June 26th, 2009 at 6:24 pm said:

Very interesting. Will pick it up when it becomes available…

+ NewYork214 on June 26th, 2009 at 6:38 pm said:

im about 80% sold off of just this lil video interview. i love these games. i played these so much when i was young.

+ Lokiroo420 on June 26th, 2009 at 6:43 pm said:

Glad to see the devs take the time to interact with the community, big points around these parts! Bought Gripshift back when it came out, anything new for Gripshift in the future, trophies always lead to sales.

Chris Morell's Avatar

+ Mario Wynands on June 26th, 2009 at 6:53 pm said:

We actually had a patch for GripShift ready to go last year that would have added new stuff such as different weapons, better matchmaking etc (it didn\’t have trophies though). Unfortunately, as we are not the publisher (SOE is) we were not able to push the patch out, and SOE didn\’t seem interested for some reason.

With Shatter, we are self publishing, so we\’ll be able to add content and make improvements on our own if it makes sense to do so.

+ Herbyg on June 26th, 2009 at 6:47 pm said:

I am loving the Eye interviews very cool.

+ rbanke on June 26th, 2009 at 7:10 pm said:

Just wanted to say, GripShift was one my first PSN games 2 years ago and still holds a place high on my list of all time great games, so many hours out of that game :)

I’ve been following the news about Shatter and i’ll be supporting Sidhe day one.

Any chance for a 3, 2, 1, GO! in Shatter? ;)

+ Lokiroo420 on June 26th, 2009 at 7:11 pm said:

Understandable, thanks for the reply!

+ rbanke on June 26th, 2009 at 7:12 pm said:

Just wanted to say that GripShift was one of the first PSN games I bought 2 years ago. It still holds a high place on my all time favorite games list.

I’ve been following the news about Shatter for a bit now, and will be picking this one up day one.

Any chance for a 3, 2, 1, GO! soundbyte in Shatter? ;)

Chris Morell's Avatar

+ Mario Wynands on June 26th, 2009 at 7:19 pm said:

Heh, the 3-2-1-GO sound sample from GripShft has been the placeholder sound effect during development on the other driving games we have worked and are still working on. I think it is driving the dev teams a little crazy :)

+ bravo9zero on June 26th, 2009 at 7:14 pm said:

When can we expect more news on the “PS cloud” feature?
A Sony hardware Dev already confirmed Its real and in development on n4g.com ;)

Plus he leaked specs of the ps3 slim.

+ Tommy-Cronin on June 26th, 2009 at 7:15 pm said:

Is it online or split scrren or full screen 2 player, it would be crazy if it did.

+ LpSquall on June 26th, 2009 at 7:15 pm said:

For the next video make sure to hide the menu to make it have a clean look. Watch the beginning of the clip to see what I am talking about.

Overall a great interview. Very creative.

+ bravo9zero on June 26th, 2009 at 7:17 pm said:

When can we expect more news on the “PS cloud” feature?
A Sony hardware Dev already confirmed Its real and in development on n4g.com ;)

Plus he leaked specs of the ps3 slim.
Sounds great.

+ bravo9zero on June 26th, 2009 at 7:17 pm said:

Why don’t my comments show up :(

+ VenomXv on June 26th, 2009 at 7:21 pm said:

Wow, I love the idea of doing interviews via PS eye using the PS3. It really encourages people to go out and get a PS Eye. I already have brought mine with eye of judgment. Awesome interview. That game looks like a lot of fun.

+ DoomnY on June 26th, 2009 at 7:22 pm said:

@Mario Wynands
I ment the word between 1:24 and 1:25. Something like “siomra”?. I am not english native man so don’t know so many words. Don’t even know what does it mean.

Chris Morell's Avatar

+ Mario Wynands on June 26th, 2009 at 7:35 pm said:

I think you mean \”genre\”? That means the class, group, or style of game.

+ VenomXv on June 26th, 2009 at 7:23 pm said:

Defintely the best and most convenient way to conduct interviews.

+ starBlinky01 on June 26th, 2009 at 7:24 pm said:

Since we are talking about GripShift now.. I must say, I liked the game, it was quite fun. But my issue with it was the levels only lasted about 20-30 seconds or so, then the menus and loading screens took about 45 seconds each time you beat a level. So for every 5 minutes of gameplay, you had to wait 10 minutes of menus and loading. Thats what killed the game for me.

If you ever make another one, please fix the loading issues.

Just had to get that off my chest.

Cant wait to play your newest game.

Chris Morell's Avatar

+ Mario Wynands on June 26th, 2009 at 7:38 pm said:

Yeah, we didn\’t discover that problem until after release. I\’m guessing you have a 20GB PS3 unit? The drives on those were quite slow, a lot slower than the 60GB PS3 units and development PS3 units.

We did a quick turnaround patch which reduced the loading times quite a bit on 20GB PS3 models, so if you never grabbed that check it out. It doesn\’t completely solve the problem, but it makes it a lot better.

+ Lokiroo420 on June 26th, 2009 at 7:32 pm said:

Jeff you might want to address or tell everyone to stop posting twice, it is taking the blog a minute or two to show comments, although they do eventually show up.

+ eaglefan129 on June 26th, 2009 at 7:44 pm said:

Can you guys do this with us?

+ eaglefan129 on June 26th, 2009 at 7:46 pm said:

Can you guys do this with us? Somehow you got this on the internet is there tech at Sony or wherever this might be?

+ eaglefan129 on June 26th, 2009 at 7:46 pm said:

sorry sorry where is the edit thing?

+ Jeigh on June 26th, 2009 at 8:43 pm said:

@ Mario
Whoa, you guys went through all the trouble of creating a patch and they didn’t want to bother implementing it? You must have been pissed. (I wanted to elongate the ‘i’ in that last word, but English is terrible in terms of intonation in writing.)

The game looks damn good. Also, consider this post 100,000 votes for “Aye” on in-game music. Not that I’m going to immediately skip over the game’s music: 90 minutes of soundtrack is impressive, especially consider that it’s a downloadable title.

Hope to hear from you guys again soon. :)

Chris Morell's Avatar

+ Mario Wynands on June 26th, 2009 at 8:51 pm said:

Yeah, we weren\’t very happy about it. We had a few guys work on the patch on our own dime for over a month to fix up, add, and improve a number of things. Disappointed we couldn\’t get it out there.

We\’ll be releasing new media soon, so you\’ll get to hear more of that soundtrack in the near future.

+ ChrisTiffer on June 26th, 2009 at 9:26 pm said:

Much prefer the immediacy and personality of this PS Eye chat (and seeing as you guys are PS3, it defeintely makes sense to promote its functionality!) to reading an interview.

+ zyxses on June 26th, 2009 at 9:38 pm said:

Looks like a lot of fun. Just the sort of thing I like playing. Those sneaky Kiwis? ;)

Image how cool it would be to watch each other play using the Eye? Hint, hint! -_-

+ zyxses on June 26th, 2009 at 9:40 pm said:

My comment didn’t show up?

+ bobloblaw06 on June 26th, 2009 at 9:42 pm said:

Now this is how people should do things, nice new ideas(eyetoy interviews) and someone who actually replies to posts

Good job to all

+ Sarges24 on June 26th, 2009 at 9:57 pm said:

Absolutely F’n BRILLIANT!!

I’ve been hoping for an Arkanoid type game. I used to love the version with the shiny blocks. :D But this TOPS that Hundred Fold! I’m absolutely sold and can’t wait to see this title release… Compelling price? $5 I call it a steal, $10 I’m sold. Just hope it has some substance and that they don’t want to keep feeding us $5 add-on packs. ;)

Chris Morell's Avatar

+ Mario Wynands on June 26th, 2009 at 10:05 pm said:

Well, it certainly won\’t be over $10, so it sounds like we have at least 1 sale :)