PS3-TLOU Left Behind

PlayStation.Blog Goes Mobile

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Jun 29, 2009 // Sr. Social Media Manager

You may recall our short outage last week; we were messing around with the servers here at PlayStation Central Command. By doing [whatever it is the engineers have done], we’ve enabled some new functionality. Reading the comments, a few of you have figured it out – the PlayStation.Blog is now mobile compatible.

The next time you head over to the blog from your PSP, Blackberry, or iPhone (or probably whatever mobile device you’re running, assuming it’s newer than a Star-tac), you’ll see a specially formatted, easy to read (and load!) version of the Blog. You can even comment; now you can tell us what you think from the comfort of your office restroom!

There’s no special URL to go to, just hit up the normal http://blog.us.playstation.com address, and our patented Internet Gnomes will do the rest. Please let us know if you’re experiencing any compatibility issues, and we’ll flog the Gnomes a little harder. It’s ok, they deserve it :-)

PlayStation.Blog mobile

+ Slayer612 on June 29th, 2009 at 11:26 am said:

It does not seem to be loading on the PSP.

I will just play Rockband: Unplugged on my nice beautiful PSP while you people figure it out.

+ PHANTASMN707 on June 29th, 2009 at 11:26 am said:

Hey Jeff. What about the Palm Pre? No dice for it here, just the normal version (not that it’s a bad thing).

Are you sure there isn’t some special site we can type in like m.blog.us.playstation.com?

+ DeathroW22 on June 29th, 2009 at 11:40 am said:

Works great, I’m using it now :)

+ Zookey on June 29th, 2009 at 11:49 am said:

Congrats Jeff! Getting a blackberry in T-minus 13 days (ONLY 13 DAYS UNTIL BB STORM HITS VERIZON FTW) so this came just in time!

+ Zookey on June 29th, 2009 at 11:50 am said:

ack! I meant to say BB Tour, not BB Storm–sorry guys–I am getting a Tour hehe

+ igniteryan on June 29th, 2009 at 11:56 am said:

Doesn’t work on PSP 3000 for me.

+ KwietStorm on June 29th, 2009 at 12:02 pm said:

No wonder I kept seeing the new page. I thought there was a problem loading the full site. I don’t like this version. I would rather keep the full site. I didn’t see an option to do that. Is there one?

+ Oreamnos on June 29th, 2009 at 12:12 pm said:

Great news! I’ll have to try again later, because I just used my Blackberry & it said the page was unavailable due to overloading. Haha.

+ Lugoves on June 29th, 2009 at 12:28 pm said:

Looks good on Iphone . But looks fine in safari on iPhone too

+ xplosneer on June 29th, 2009 at 12:35 pm said:

Just wanted to point out that there is a mobile forum for use with the PSP, but I’m not sure if it was updated after we got PSN log-ins. It wasn’t great though, you could only see 5 topics at a time. That’ll be your next job Jeff.

+ XxozziexX on June 29th, 2009 at 12:45 pm said:

sweet

+ BareMetal on June 29th, 2009 at 12:47 pm said:

Jeff, this doesn’t work on my Palm Pre. It shows the full website. The Palm Pre also uses a WebKit browser (similar to iPhone). Can you please fix?

+ MAzing87 on June 29th, 2009 at 12:50 pm said:

Can the site be compatible with an LG Dare?

+ kmac0378 on June 29th, 2009 at 12:50 pm said:

I think you guys should look into offer an official PlayStation app for iPhone. There are no other video game apps out there and you could do a lot with this.

- Blog Updates
- Game Videos
- New Releases
- Upcoming Releases
- New Accessories
- Article Links “What We’re Reading”
- PodCasts
- Core or Pulse Episodes

I designed an app for my music site called NRT Mobile. It’s been live for about 4 1/2 months now and we’ve seen over 12,000 downloads. It’s FREE but you could easily charge for $1-2 an app like this if you provide good content.

And hey, I’d love to work with you on an Apple iPhone App. Why not put my info out there?

Kevin

+ Worm- on June 29th, 2009 at 12:58 pm said:

This is really awesome, always was waiting for the blog to go mobile!! Thank you so much.

I have a blackberry 8330 Curve, Verizon, and it starts to load and says running script and just seems to take forever to load. So any way to optimize the script??

On another note, what’s this I hear the MAG beta is only going to be in EU? This is obviously a massive game, and wouldn’t you think you would need a massive beta to truely stress test the servers? We need the beta here in the US!!

+ tearsofash on June 29th, 2009 at 1:02 pm said:

There’s no special URL at all? =\ So if my mobile device is too advanced, it will give me this blog, but it might not be advanced enough to actually handle it like a pro. I’m thinking of PSP and DSi here.

+ ZAANOS on June 29th, 2009 at 1:06 pm said:

Awesome that you guys are expanding.

I would like to see some sort of official integration of the PSBlog with the PS3 under Playstation Network in the XMB. So I can just leave a comment quickly as long as I’m signed in to PSN.

Also would like to see a sort of Playstation text chat room feature under Playstation Network. I know Playstation Home might serve as that but It’s just not the same when you see everyone gathering around a girl character desperately trying to get them to come to their apartment. I just want to see a simple text chat room.

Also would like to see more substance on the Profiles on PSN. Like being able to record a short video using the Playstation Eye with Eye Create and insert it into your profile and give people the option to play it when they view your profile.

+ LoveDoctor on June 29th, 2009 at 1:06 pm said:

I’ve never been more happy!!! Kudos Kudos Kudos. Is this also comming to the EU-blog?

+ JordanBlack68 on June 29th, 2009 at 1:10 pm said:

Just tested on my iPhone works great :D

+ Worm- on June 29th, 2009 at 1:15 pm said:

Ok 1 more issue. Trying to log-in to the psn network on my Verizon Blackberry 8330 I get, “Javascript: An error occured while executing a script.” So how can we log into the PSN from mobile to post responses?

+ JordanBlack68 on June 29th, 2009 at 1:20 pm said:

Any way we can view more comments on the page at a time and like go to the latest comments etc

+ OGWilson on June 29th, 2009 at 1:24 pm said:

Tested from my T-Mobile G1 with latest version of Android firmware. Looks great.

+ Munkeh111 on June 29th, 2009 at 1:34 pm said:

The most important thing to do now is to have auto-sign in on the PlayStation.coms, it is really annoying having to press sign in every time even though it remembers my password, so then I can go straight to my portable ID to update it

+ dawnofthedead on June 29th, 2009 at 1:41 pm said:

Nice! any plans on creating an iPhone app?

+ LoveDoctor on June 29th, 2009 at 1:47 pm said:

Last-comment-first option would be really helpfull for mobile readers I think..?

+ DeathbrinPSN on June 29th, 2009 at 1:49 pm said:

Great job you have done! I was quite surprised few days ago when opening the Blog as usual from my Symbian S60 phone – all of a sudden it’s gone mobile and became alot more comfortable indeed. Thank you.

+ element12436 on June 29th, 2009 at 2:00 pm said:

I am so happy with this. I was going to ask for something like this and it happened! Sony I must say thank you for this cool update and thank you for all the hard work :-)

+ BareMetal on June 29th, 2009 at 2:05 pm said:

This doesn’t work on the Palm Pre. Can you update/fix?

Both the iPhone and Palm Pre both use WebKit browsers, so it shouldn’t be much work to get it working on the Palm Pre.

Thanks

+ VehicleDestroyr on June 29th, 2009 at 2:09 pm said:

Little late here guys I found this out the first day after the outage.

+ SPOPS on June 29th, 2009 at 2:16 pm said:

On my Blackberry this works great on Opera, but not so great on the Blackberry browser. Was not even able to log in

+ cmargary on June 29th, 2009 at 2:17 pm said:

Really love it in my iPhone or iPod touch… Thanks

+ Invisibleman306 on June 29th, 2009 at 2:29 pm said:

when will the hulu problem be fixed cause it doesn’t load up like it did before?

+ walnoj on June 29th, 2009 at 2:36 pm said:

Thanks for the feature! Works fine on my Blackberry Curve!

+ Berae on June 29th, 2009 at 3:07 pm said:

This is great! thanks

Like some said.. it would be great to use Firefox instead of internet explorer on ps3.

Is it something we could look forward in a near future?

+ Spurvugle on June 29th, 2009 at 3:08 pm said:

Nice=)

+ SpyDudeFX on June 29th, 2009 at 3:23 pm said:

Two things, don’t forget about the rest of us non-iPhone users. BlackBerry, Android, Sidekick, Palm, Symbian, Windows Mobile to name a few. No sense in alienating other platforms.

I’m using a BB and can’t sign-in, we need a new login page that is mobile optimized. It seems to redirect to the standard page and it tells me my browser isn’t supported. There is an option to change my browser’s useragent to IE but it’s a pain having to do that each time I want to login.

+ SpyDudeFX on June 29th, 2009 at 3:24 pm said:

Do comments require approval?

+ PHANTASMN707 on June 29th, 2009 at 3:30 pm said:

ok Jeff. Just tried it out again on my new phone (palm pre :) ) and on the main page, everything shows up like in a normal desktop browser.

When I opened an article, the site changes to the mobile version, but just for that article. Clicking on the ps blog banner takes me back to the full site.

And finally, when I view the site while logged in from my phone, the site stays as the full version.

Ca we have an option to choose the mobile or the full version? Having a link down at the bottom to change versions would be great!

+ mcx on June 29th, 2009 at 3:39 pm said:

A dream come true. Now if all the videos were compatible to watch on the iPhone that would be perfect.

+ GAM3R_16 on June 29th, 2009 at 4:08 pm said:

Sweet! just what I was waiting for, you guys should make an app on the IPhone so we can view our trophies and freinds, I’d pay for an app like that!

+ Fusion_ID on June 29th, 2009 at 4:09 pm said:

My iPhone and now iPhone 3GS are loving the mobilesite. loads awesome and as another user said, an App would be awesome, but more so, a PSN App with friends and such would even be better yes?

+ steve86uk on June 29th, 2009 at 4:14 pm said:

It’s great to be able to get onto the blog on my iphone now. I too would love to see an app though. I don’t use the browser as much as I use applications for getting news from various sites, so a Playstation app would be very welcome, if you ever decided to do one.

+ SpeedRacer1955 on June 29th, 2009 at 4:23 pm said:

I would wonder how fast the PSPGo will be when it comes out since it has more onboard memory than the PSP Slim/Phat/3000?

I am trying this on my slim and it is “SLOOOOOOOOW”!!!

Time is as tagged 4:24pm PDT

+ gamemasta114 on June 29th, 2009 at 4:51 pm said:

Awesome, this will at least give me something to do when im out of the house with my phone. Thanks!!

+ sumpunk on June 29th, 2009 at 5:01 pm said:

Not bad. Pity the pic of the iPhone is chopped in half on my iPhone ;) other than that it loads up really fast and looks pretty good too.
Love ya work gnomes!!

+ Lawr- on June 29th, 2009 at 5:13 pm said:

This comes on the heels of the future PS-branded phone from Sony (sans Ericsson), LOL.

+ Sakimori_X on June 29th, 2009 at 5:17 pm said:

Schweet!!! Thanks, guys!

+ Happy_man on June 29th, 2009 at 5:18 pm said:

Okay, I have a HTC touch Pro using the Oprea browser, is there anyway to turn off the mobile view on this thing, because you know, I’m one of those few people who can read on small screens and like to also read the comments. Just a thought.

+ EPGPX on June 29th, 2009 at 5:18 pm said:

If you disable the Javascript, the mobil version of the blog will load faster. Also, I can confirm that you still can’t log in the mobil blog on the PSP to comment. What’s up with that? Covering your own products should be Sonys 1st priority and everybody else 2nd.

+ mitihalew on June 29th, 2009 at 5:32 pm said:

Posting from my iPhone. This is great. Thank u for doing this. I visit the blog all the time and now the load time on my iPhone is so much faster. Oh and if u guys make an app for the iPhone/iPod touch I would buy it in a heart beat.