PS4-The Order

New MAG Developer Diary — Command and Control System

Jill Webber's Avatar + Posted by Jill Webber on Jul 07, 2009 // PR Manager

This week we’re wrapping up “MAG Mondays”—the Zipper Interactive developer diary series—with the final video detailing the command and control system within MAG.

While MAG breaks new ground with 256 players and unprecedented online action, the game’s sophisticated command and control system involving eight-on-eight, squad-based combat allows each player to influence the larger battle and climb through the ranks to lead his or her own squad, platoon, and army.

Listen to the devs explain how it works in the video below:

We hope you’ve enjoyed learning more about MAG through this developer diary series. You can be sure we’ll be bringing more MAG information to the PlayStation.Blog in the very near future, so stay alert!

80 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ acestime on July 8th, 2009 at 1:45 am said:

this game keeps looking better and better to me. thank god its a ps3 exclusive.
defintly gonna buy this one

+ enormhi on July 8th, 2009 at 2:37 am said:

Looking forward to this game!

+ footballrule on July 8th, 2009 at 5:33 am said:

I love these diaries, keep up the good work!

+ almighty-slayer on July 8th, 2009 at 6:20 am said:

They guy asking for keyboard and mouse –

Um, no. Then the people using KB&M will have a mjor advantage over us with controllers. So, no. Never.

And people whining for a beta, i hope you don’t get it. This should have a proper closed beta for once instead of a publicity stunt. It needs properly testing

+ Gringo234 on July 8th, 2009 at 9:24 am said:

I know this might upset ignorant one way thinking people and of course the fans.

But if it’s not rated Mature and it doesn’t have realistic blood effects for a video game I can’t see my self playing it.

It’s just the way I’m sued to playing FPS games.

+ PFCFluffy on July 8th, 2009 at 9:39 am said:

Typical SONY… Soon Only Not Yet.

+ Thrasher20 on July 8th, 2009 at 9:57 am said:

Cannot wait! Will there be a beta?

+ Nynja on July 8th, 2009 at 11:16 am said:

MAG is looking HOT!

The frame rate is looking better along with the visuals. I like how Zipper is not changing the context sensitive command system that worked so well in the SOCOM series.

Any chance we can get more info on the control scheme(s)? Would like to know how far players will be able to customize the buttons. I know some people who would refuse to play a game entirely based on lack of custom control options in fear of it conflicting with any other game they may be deeply into.

+ Shooter4108 on July 8th, 2009 at 12:19 pm said:

this is sick

+ BoDy-RoT on July 8th, 2009 at 1:00 pm said:

@54

So your telling me that you dont have a USB Keyboard and Mouse hooked up to your computer right now that you could use? Give me a break man, and your absolutely right KB/Mouse is a HUGE advantage over the controller and for good reason, its a more accurate way to play a First Person Shooter.

Sony don’t listen to guys like this. The majority of us REAL FPS gamers, especially the ones that have come from the PC to the PS3 want KB/Mouse support. If some people don’t like it, oh well. They have the option to plug their KB/Mouse and play just like everyone else, or use their analog sticks and get owned.

+ Maverick10 on July 8th, 2009 at 5:15 pm said:

MAG>MW2
finally a good modern war game that is giving COD a run fo their money

+ CPU1 on July 8th, 2009 at 5:37 pm said:

No BoDy-RoT unless everyone is using a K/M then it’s unfair. What about us REAL gamers who prefer using a traditional controller. Is it just “too bad for you” because we don’t want to but a $800 mouse with 900,000 dpi of accuracy.
So NO keep the playing feild level with all controllers and let us show you that we are REAL gamers with our skills and the skills of our THUMBS!!!

+ captincraze on July 8th, 2009 at 7:18 pm said:

Wow this game looks great, but
if they want battles
of that size on the beta they’ll
probably make it an open beta to
keep constant numbers

Looks good :)

+ Bodyburn on July 8th, 2009 at 11:32 pm said:

Awesome, I can’t wait for this to come out. Hell I’ll die happy if I only play the beta.

+ lonewolf1994 on July 9th, 2009 at 6:13 am said:

i dont really know.. i think its going to be a lag fest.. al wait for the reviews but i think im ganna get mw2 over this..

+ Maluraq on July 9th, 2009 at 7:43 am said:

I hope this comes out as good of a shooter as it is a battlefield simulator. That is, I’m hoping for near-SOCOM level weapon and movement behaviour, not HALO style silliness.

There’s a lot of room for Resistance, Halo, Warhawk, etc. type shooters too, but for a battlefield experience of this size, I hope its a real military angle, not a silly arcade one.

+ Nynja on July 9th, 2009 at 10:16 am said:

@Body-Rot;

I used to play with keyboard and mouse, but games got boring. There’s no skill required for KB/M play. Scream all you want about your superior control setup, truth is it’s cheap.

Leave it out. If players want to ruin online game play by using a point and click method, let them go out and pay $100+ for the split-fish controller.

+ zooyork198 on July 9th, 2009 at 10:50 am said:

I cant believe ppl r saying give us beta or we will buy CoD MW2. How cud u evn put CoD & MAG in the same sentence!?
1 – CoD has a really gay online thats boring & not a fuk experience
2 – This is more than a FPS Online game. W/ this u dont just go out & kill ppl u ACTUALLY have 2 b smart about what you do.

It’s strategy.

Also i dont c CoD releasing a Demo or beta. So y threaten buying CoD ovr this????

Wud u wanna pay 4 a game w/ onlne that sux @ss, or wud u wanna pay 4 a game w/ online that kix @ss (aka MAG)

Imma buy MAG! F CoD

+ zooyork198 on July 9th, 2009 at 10:52 am said:

1 – CoD has a really gay online thats boring & not a fun* experience

It’s strategy.

Imma buy MAG! F CoD

*Srry bout error in 1st post

+ BoDy-RoT on July 9th, 2009 at 5:43 pm said:

@67

Thats exactly what I’ll do if Sony doesn’t listen to more then half of their gaming population and add KBM support. See you on the battlefield buddy.. I’ll be the guy running circles around all you controller users :)

+ ninjashooter on July 9th, 2009 at 7:51 pm said:

I am so happy right now, this is the first FPS game that has everything I ever wanted in a FPS, No matter what this game just moved up to 1st place in my list lol and on top of that they put so much work in the servers that its lag free, how awesome is that because at the MAG demo at E3.

+ TIMEoDEATH on July 9th, 2009 at 7:51 pm said:

This is the main reason Im building a gameroom, hell yeah !!!!!

+ The_Thunder_God on July 10th, 2009 at 12:09 pm said:

who wants a beta *raises hand*

+ Sgt_Swift_ on July 12th, 2009 at 3:53 am said:

*raising hand*

+ fathoody on July 13th, 2009 at 2:07 pm said:

I Want 2 play really bad id do any thing to play the beta

+ stationED3 on July 17th, 2009 at 1:39 pm said:

please please please tell me MAG will be 2 player or 4 player so I can play whith my cousens in split skeen pleasssse I wiil tolltaly get the game

+ rougex24 on July 23rd, 2009 at 2:38 pm said:

i think the game is just cool becuase theres just over 256 people who play in just one match witch is just kinda cool cant wait for the game to come out

+ nightstalker3609 on July 27th, 2009 at 5:56 pm said:

cant wait for this game, hope i can be part of the beta

+ jumpinjehosephat on July 27th, 2009 at 9:51 pm said:

how can i be a beta tester for mag?

+ IcEcReAm_KiLleR on August 5th, 2009 at 12:22 am said:

frimware: sony we need better avaters and we need in game music u need to read the blogs so u know what your coustumers whant also we need in game chat so we can create a chat the we can talk insted of write. u need to think about addin all of this stuff on the next upadte. if i was workin for u in updates people would be a lot happier. the gameing experince would be 100 times better than it already in HOW DO U GET MAG BETA

PAGE 1 2