PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

Gran Turismo PSP — Your Questions Answered

Chris Morell's Avatar + Posted by Chris Morell on Jul 14, 2009 // Senior Social Media Specialist

Gran Turismo PSP - Replay 1

Last week we gave you 3 and a half minutes with Polyphony Digital’s Kazunori Yamauchi on Gran Turismo PSP. That’s not enough, you said! So as promised, we fired off your questions to the game’s US Producers, Chris Hinojosa Miranda and Taku Imasaki, and below are their responses.

Also, we know you have a lot of questions about Gran Turismo 5, and we’ll be calling for those soon. But for now, we’re just focused on GT PSP.

Could we expect any compatibility of Gran Turismo PSP with Gran Turismo 5 (like Resistance: Retribution with Resistance 2)? – TRIX_BOL

Polyphony has always pushed the hardware boundaries of every console it’s been released on…and while this isn’t really answering your question, it does leave it open for you to imagine the possibilities.

Is GT PSP going to have DLCs (such as new cars, tracks, etc..)? – TRIX_BOL

We’re planning on having 800+ cars right out of the box, which is pretty much a lifetime’s worth of racing (I’m still unlocking cars from GT4). With that sort of breadth and reach of options, having DLC would be like tossing water into the ocean.

Will cars get damaged on GT PSP? – TRIX_BOL

Damage? No. 800+ cars, 35 tracks, on-the-go awesomeness, and a lifetime’s worth of racing, yes.

Will we see Porche, Lamborghini in the PSP version? – wbrinkman

Our car selection is pretty broad — there is a lot of candy, that’s for sure — but as far as flavors, you’ll just have to wait a bit more.

Will there be a downloadable demo of Gran Turismo for the PSP? – grashopper

We wish we can provide one, but at this time, there are no plans. We are focusing our efforts on Gran Turismo and GT5.

It appears that the AI car count is 3 cars on track. Counting you, there would be 4 cars in the race. Wouldn’t it have been better to drop the framerate of the game from 60 to 30 and increased the car count? – grashopper

We went through many experiments but came to the conclusion that having three opponents gives you the best portable racing experience while maintaining the Gran Turismo level of quality.

Cmon fellas…GT5 Prologue update? Eh, eh? Custom soundtracks? Maybe trophies, a lobby system? Screenshot function? – FoomMan

Sorry FoomMan, we’re around the bend and down the straight: the team’s main focus at this point is making sure GT PSP (and GT5) are in your hands.

126 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3

+ CondorMcG on July 14th, 2009 at 9:03 am said:

So basically they said nothing at all…

+ SpiritThief on July 14th, 2009 at 9:05 am said:

So what I suppose to get out of this. Besides, we got nothing to say but we are working hard?

+ SpeedRacer1955 on July 14th, 2009 at 9:07 am said:

With no car damage in PSP is that to say that the console version will not have damage. If that is the case then I will have to rethink the any purchase since car damage is included in most of the competitions offerings and makes the driving experience more like a “racing simulator” than an arcade game.

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on July 14th, 2009 at 9:08 am said:

man..SONY sure knows how to ruin good games.:/..SOCOM got horrible developers..and now GT5 is taking 4ever!!!…well..guess u gotta have ALOT of patients with SONY..i know i do..an it does certainly pay off.

+ Korbei83 on July 14th, 2009 at 9:19 am said:

Reasonable answers, but not very exciting ones.

+ Stoffinator on July 14th, 2009 at 9:20 am said:

Kind of useless answers I’d say. Nice that they took the time to answer them, but maybe this should of waited until they could of actually told us something useful.

I really really hope GT5 has damage on all cars and not just racing ones. Its time GT catches up with the times.

+ Sadaiyappan on July 14th, 2009 at 9:21 am said:

GT5 HAS to have damage because they showed damage in the trailer. It seems likely that damage will only be there for certain races (like only rally races) or only offline races.

+ enewtabie on July 14th, 2009 at 9:23 am said:

I can’t imagine people were expecting damage on the PSP version? It hasn’t been in any other version of GT before or on the PS2 versions,but would show up now?
Now GT5 is a different story.

+ Calendaros on July 14th, 2009 at 9:23 am said:

GT5 is going to get trashed by Forza 3. Maybe if Polyphony didn’t waste time with garbage cars, fixed the damn physics and AI, and stopped releasing $40 demos, they would actually have a chance to make a decent product.

+ Sygoomei on July 14th, 2009 at 9:25 am said:

Weak. You guys at the blog just convinced me not to buy GT PSP with this blog update.

I see others are now questioning whether there will be car damage in GT5 as well now. I bought Prologue but found it TERRIBLY disappointing. Too few cars I can deal with; but the lack of tracks and lack of updates made it a total waste of HD space.

If Polyphony is listening to these first few comments (and I hope they are) then they should take a look at DiRT. DiRT managed to get REAL cars and still have damage. Not only that, but damage that affected your driving. If Polyphony can’t get their act together to include REAL damage, not just graphical changes that don’t affect gameplay, they’ve lost ALL of my support.

Good luck releasing PS1 games with updated graphics Polyphony. WEAK!!

+ ShotgunSean on July 14th, 2009 at 9:25 am said:

is gt5 at least gonna have trophies? since prologue wont or custom soundtracks at least?

+ enewtabie on July 14th, 2009 at 9:25 am said:

@9
Forza 2.5 you mean?
I have 840 out 1000 on Forza 2 and nothing has been mentioned making F3 “awesome”
Good try though!

+ ShotgunSean on July 14th, 2009 at 9:26 am said:

btw if you guys dont know already you should check out the E3 trailer it hints that gt5 will have car damage

+ dong29 on July 14th, 2009 at 9:29 am said:

I found the lack of support for Prologue to be dissapointing. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but for some reason I thought there would be additional functionality added via DLC or patches.

I’m still looking forward to GT5.

+ FE_RR on July 14th, 2009 at 9:30 am said:

te only thing that i don’t like it’s the fact of just 3 opponents…5 opponents was already too poor, but 3?…

+ hyperslug on July 14th, 2009 at 9:31 am said:

that was kinda lame

+ Enforcer_X on July 14th, 2009 at 9:32 am said:

I am hoping for Lamborghini!
Also I would like them to rethink their stance on DLC.
What happens when new cars come out?
Is the 2012 “Whatever” going to be in the game?
Probably not and I am not really keen on waiting another 5 or 6 years for GT6 so I can race with a new car or cars on a new track or tracks.

+ tearsofash on July 14th, 2009 at 9:36 am said:

Polyphony probably listens, but their translator is probably conveying to them the wrong thing like at E3.

+ ICU-KILLA on July 14th, 2009 at 9:38 am said:

I am mad that it has no damage

+ zombie9 on July 14th, 2009 at 9:39 am said:

Hey I want to know if they will be any PSP to PS3 conetivity beteen GT PSP and GT5 PS3? Remote play any thing. Be able to trade cars from PSP to PS3. Also a PSP used as a rear view mirror for driving in GT5? any thing like that?

+ luizcab on July 14th, 2009 at 9:41 am said:

Not a big fan of the genre, but I have prologue and I do expect GT5 and GT PSP to be the most beautiful racing games in the market.

More power to you, Poliphony.

+ Grognard66 on July 14th, 2009 at 9:43 am said:

The rest of the industry passed GT by many years ago. This game may have been decent 4 years ago, but it’s feature set is too out-dated to matter anymore.

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on July 14th, 2009 at 9:44 am said:

There wasn’t really any new info……at least give us a car and track list please.

To all whiners about damage:

WE ALREADY KNEW THERE WOULD BE NO DAMAGE IN THE PSP VERSION AND WE ALREADY KNOW THERE WILL BE DAMAGE ON GT5. WE JUST NEED TO KNOW MORE DETAILS ON DAMAGE IN GT5 AS MAYBE IT’LL BE LIMITED TO RACING CARS.

+ Slant_Sux on July 14th, 2009 at 9:51 am said:

As pretty as it looks, the GT franchise was eclipsed many years ago — and has done nothing to catch up.

They need someone new at the helm, with a willingness to break new ground.

+ Ruffday on July 14th, 2009 at 9:51 am said:

I probably won’t be able to get the S class license, never could. The main question that should’ve been asked is,” when is it coming out?”

+ station3fever on July 14th, 2009 at 9:51 am said:

Well i always loved gt i still have all copies, so will i buy it for PSP? yes. Will i buy it for PS3? yes, i have that steering wheel and it’s getting a bit dusty so i’ll need gt5 lol. Damage would have been nice but, i know the man loves his cars so i respect that.
Hey Chris if your a fan i’ll see you at the starting line——— :)

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on July 14th, 2009 at 9:52 am said:

@22

LOL sure, that’s why Prologue, a demo, sold close to 4 million copies worldwide right? You’re clueless dude.

+ Bloody_Marcel on July 14th, 2009 at 9:54 am said:

I could have answered those questions myself.

+ spunnups on July 14th, 2009 at 9:57 am said:

I don’t think these people understand that this was about PSP version and not the PS3 version. I’m not surprised by any of these answers, the PSP is already coming packed with content and should easily be one of the best looking games on the handheld.

+ h0tp00p on July 14th, 2009 at 9:57 am said:

Worst Q&A ever.

Half answers for most of these questions and the answers they did give are disapointing. I particularly like the answer on GT5P: no further support. When it came out they acted like they would be fine tuning all the time… discussed a damage update etc. Now that they have my money, they’ll “focus on GT5″. Lame.

I used to be the biggest GT fanboy ever created. 4 and 5P were huge let downs though. They have the same “just not as fun as it should be” feeling as Forza. I’ll wait to pick up GT5 used thanks.

+ TerryVSL on July 14th, 2009 at 10:00 am said:

LOL!

Xbots trolling a GT thread.

It must be humiliating to have a PSP GT game have better graphics than that crappy little GT wannabe Forza on the RRoDbox.

Don’t fret Xbots, the PS3 is getting a price cut this year and you’ll be able to play GT along with the rest of the world. Stop wasting your allowance on 50 dollar a year fees for laggy P2P online gaming would help you save up for a PS3 even faster.

+ SpeedRacer1955 on July 14th, 2009 at 10:00 am said:

Well it is a handheld version and since it also fits on the PSP 3000 it has to restrict memory allocations, but it does feel like a Trophy dash with only 4 cars at one time. But them is the cards that have been dealt so that they can fit it onto the older PSP’s I don’t think the PSPGo would have that problem so that should have made them create a different version in code. Like if you have a go the software recognizes the installed hardware and then modifies the parameters to fit it, like more cars in the race etc., but it is dependent on the graphics engine and if the engine is the same for both PSP’s then that will decide the code.

+ SpeedRacer1955 on July 14th, 2009 at 10:01 am said:

And as far as damage comment when you see the video the damage was so negligible that it would not have affected driving physics, if that is the only damage that is coming then it is not worth it for a full size game when I can get Dirt2 Grid and other games that do have “REAL” damage. The damage needed in GT5 is to create a penalty system that is closer to real life that it makes punting cars into walls and off track really penalties to the person initiating the offensive behaviour. The current penalty system that is in GT5 is more of for teaching you how to drive a car fast rather than racing incidents type of learning. This is especially apparent in the Online races. It is why I have not played Prologue for a few months.

+ nickert0n on July 14th, 2009 at 10:02 am said:

Gran Turismo since the original has an always will be my favorite racing game(s) period. Please release 5 soon!!! Also I will be buying GT:PSP day one ;-)

Thank you Polyphony for the memories had and too come.

+ almighty-slayer on July 14th, 2009 at 10:02 am said:

Did they actually answer any of those…?

+ norm01 on July 14th, 2009 at 10:04 am said:

For the questions about trophies and custom soundtrack for GT5, I’d be surprised if they don’t have those features. GT5 has been in development so long and it’s one of Sony’s prized IP’s. Expect it to be in there. Motorstorm: Pacific Rift has them, I wouldn’t expect GT5 not to. Besides, trophies are pretty much mandatory now for PS3 games.

+ MarinoBrea on July 14th, 2009 at 10:06 am said:

So he only answer like…nothing…and like we even care…

Polyphony, read my lips:

G-R-A-N T-U-R-I-S-M-O 5

We know enough of GT PSP, it’s portable and it’s on sale October 1st. That’s enough, we get it, we love it , we’ll buy it. Now where’s the ^%%^%%$$ GT5 for PS3!!!

+ h0tp00p on July 14th, 2009 at 10:12 am said:

@31 Really? Do you think GT PSP is going to be better than Forza? You’re outta your friggin mind. You’ve only got 1 analog stick and two shoulder buttons. Plus it only runs on a non HD screen.

People like you make the rest of us PS3 fans look ignorant. Asking for your favorite PS3 games to be higher quality, doesn’t make you an xbot. Quite the opposite actually.

+ daddychaddy on July 14th, 2009 at 10:15 am said:

DANM IT!!!!!! WE WANT A DEMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ daddychaddy on July 14th, 2009 at 10:16 am said:

WE WANT DEMO!!!!

+ daddychaddy on July 14th, 2009 at 10:16 am said:

WE WANT DEMO!!!!!!

+ daddychaddy on July 14th, 2009 at 10:17 am said:

YOU PUT DEMO OUT AT E3 SO WE WANT IT TO!!!!!!

+ TwiztedR3DHead on July 14th, 2009 at 10:18 am said:

this means nothing to me how sad

+ alex0026 on July 14th, 2009 at 10:18 am said:

I got such a negative feeling from this game after reading the post.

I hope (for the sake of the buyers) those 800+ cars are more than re-skinned cars with more speed. I understand the PSP haves limits but come on, my nokia cell phone could do better than that. >_<

+ Cerberus_Hunter on July 14th, 2009 at 10:20 am said:

“having DLC would be like tossing water into the ocean.”

hahaha :D

GT PSP looks incredibly good but i skipped GT5P for GT5 and i’ll be doing the same for this one.

I want the whole thing(GT5) or nothing… :)

+ joostin on July 14th, 2009 at 10:21 am said:

I am digging the love for the PSP. I found myself playing Resistance Retribution till 3 last night. Can’t wait for a great PSP racing game. I have heard GT5 is ready anytime now…any chance on a release date confirmation?

+ camaro300zx on July 14th, 2009 at 10:22 am said:

I want to delete my trophies!! Why Can’t I when I no longer have the game?? Trophies are ridiculous. Alot of people want to delete their Trophies but can’t, it should be an option to keep, not mandatory. (Trophies – Worst Idea Ever!!!)
It’s Wasting space on my HD

+ TerryVSL on July 14th, 2009 at 10:24 am said:

” Do you think GT PSP is going to be better than Forza? ”

LOL!

It already does…

Running in a higher resolution doesn’t fix Forza’s crappy lighting model.

It is funny though to see the Forza fanboys stuck with trying to claim Forza 3 is obviously better than GT PSP because of the resolution, but then at the same time try to brush off the huge resolution advantage GT5/P has over Forza…

That’s what happens when you have a company that sucks with console hardware design rush console hardware out the door like Microsoft did with the 360. But, hey!, at least 360 fans will always have those old fake Epic Gears of War marketing shots to cherish.

+ steve86uk on July 14th, 2009 at 10:25 am said:

Thanks for wasting 5 minutes of my time with that.

+ WestSiide on July 14th, 2009 at 10:26 am said:

I would get this game when/if I ever get a pSp.

PAGE 1 2 3