Uncharted 4

Jul 29

Demon’s Souls Pre-order Bonus Expands, Now Also Includes Full Soundtrack

Aram Jabbari's Avatar Posted by Aram Jabbari on Jul 29, 2009 // Manager of PR and Sales, ATLUS

Demon's Souls screenshot 1

Hey folks, AtlusA.R.A.M. here, and I’ve got some news to share regarding Demon’s Souls, the upcoming action RPG for PLAYSTATION 3.

Now, if you’re unfamiliar with Demon’s Souls, getting up-to-speed should be as easy as checking out the blogs we’re featuring in the official game message boards, hitting up the game’s official website, and checking out the great PlayStation Eye chat we had with the incredibly awesome Jeff Rubenstein.

As you may already know, we’re offering fans who pre-order either version of the game (Standard or Deluxe, at participating retailers only) a full-color, 40-page art book featuring sketches, designs, and renders that wonderfully show off the game’s gritty medieval aesthetic.  On its own, this is a pretty nice bonus (says the publisher offering it), considering it is being thrown in at no additional cost to the customer, but we’ve recently decided to take things a step further:

Demon's Souls Pre-order

Resist, if you dare.

In addition to the art book, fans who pre-order will now ALSO receive the game’s FULL soundtrack CD.  That’s right, we’re going to throw 24 tracks (about 71 minutes) of music into the pre-order bonus as well.  And if you’ve ever heard the game in action, you likely know that the music is haunting, atmospheric, sweeping, and orchestral.  Don’t worry, people who have already pre-ordered: the music disc is secured on the back inside cover of the art book, so you won’t miss out!

So, whether you reserve (at participating retailers) the Standard edition of the game, which would net you the game, art book, and soundtrack CD, or whether you upgrade to the Deluxe edition, which gets you the game, a 150+ page strategy guide, a collectible slip case, the game’s complete musical score, and a premium art book, you’re going to be getting a heck of a deal.

Demon's Souls Strategy Guide Sample

Sample from Official Demon’s Souls Strategy Guide

Of course, these extras are in addition to all the changes and enhancements coming to the North American release of the gaming, such as:

• All-new North American cover art
  • All-new North American online servers (which ensures a level playing field for newcomers)
  • An improved localization, which addresses many grammar/inaccuracy issues from the overseas version

Join us, won’t you, as we venture into the Kingdom of Boletaria on October 6th, 2009.  It’s going to be a tough battle to deliver the realm from evil, but hey, at least you’ll have a ton of free swag to comfort yourself if you happen to reserve your copy today.

Until next time, friends.

PAGE 1 2 3 4

+ OmegaArchetype on July 29th, 2009 at 10:07 am said:

I can’t wait for this game. I’ve got it pre-ordered and now I only need it to release.

+ poweredbyzen on July 29th, 2009 at 10:50 am said:

where’s the action figure?! decals?! stickers?! i want trophies too!

+ Onna76_NL on July 29th, 2009 at 10:54 am said:

I think I’m gonna give the game another chance, sold the Asian version, found it really boring to be honest, but you never know. Hated more games in the past which I totally loved during a second play time and those goodies are too hard to resist.

Still praying for a Persona 5 PS3 release here dear Atlus :-) *please, pppplease*

+ BlindsideDork on July 29th, 2009 at 10:57 am said:

I was a little concerned about the pre-order but now I have no problem double dipping on this game. Let’s just hope Atlus doesn’t tone the game down any…which reminds me, I should play some more tonight!

+ Nich Maragos on July 29th, 2009 at 11:21 am said:

No worries, the game hasn\’t been toned down in the slightest.

+ enormhi on July 29th, 2009 at 10:59 am said:

Will this game be also released in Europe? If so, when?

+ ghamdikh1 on July 29th, 2009 at 11:02 am said:

@Aram Jabbari OR Nich Maragos

1-is there any plans for Atlus to bring there ps1 games to PSN?

2-is there any plans for Atlus to bring there PSP games to PSN?

+ Anubis80 on July 29th, 2009 at 11:03 am said:

Well after reading this

“Aram Jabbari replied on July 29, 2009 at 10:57 am

There will be no friends lists or friend invites in the online cooperative play. It is not a separate mode you initiate, but rather, an integral component of playing the game.

Once you spend a few minutes experiencing how the online play is integrated into the game, you’ll understand why it is setup as such and why friend invites wouldn’t work.

Thanks for the question!”

I dont know if I will buy the game then. Sorry but I have played RE5 with random people and it really sucks that way. I like to play with my friends cuz then you can get things done without the other person being stupid and just killing themselves or whatever. I will pass on this game. Thanks for letting me know in advance.

+ Aram Jabbari on July 29th, 2009 at 11:24 am said:

We certainly want you to know as much about the game as possible before purchasing.

Let me describe for you a scenario that could never happen in RE5 but which will happen frequently in Demon\’s Souls.

You are currently in spirit form, meaning you were killed recently in the game and have yet to revive your body. Since offering your help to other players is one of 4 ways to get your body back (the others being defeating a boss in your own game, using a rare stone, or breaking into someone else\’s game and trying to defeat them), you create a soul sign and you are pulled into someone else\’s game (they will see an etheral statue of you in their game, along with how you\’ve been rated by other players in the past).

Assuming you\’re able to stay alive and help the host player defeat the boss in the region they are in (and during this, you are transported from your game to theirs), you will be awarded with soul points (more if you are rated well by the host, and since there is no incentive on the part of the host to lie, current worldwide trends for the game are for these ratings to be very fair and accurate), and you will also be revived, restoring your health to full capacity.

In this sense, and in the other aspects of online interaction with other people, there is a purpose, a genuine need in your own game for you to work with (or challenge) others.

Other games make you tread the same steps you would offline with a group of other players, but the rewards rarely change.

In Demon\’s Souls, some of your most rewarding experiences will be from the times that you reach out for help or break into someone else\’s game… it really makes for a one-of-a-kind online experience, and it\’s awesome that it comes as an exclusive to PS3 owners.

Hopefully you\’ll have a chance to check the game out and experience it for yourself when it\’s released.

+ bdavid81 on July 29th, 2009 at 11:03 am said:

Damn, oh well. Unless there’s any noticeable gameplay enhancements, such as new areas or bosses, I might just sell the sealed copy and keep the extras. :)

Thanks for the answer Aram!

+ bdavid81 on July 29th, 2009 at 11:05 am said:

@45 / Anubis80

Actually, what they say is very true. The people that buy this game are not going to be the annoying children randomly killing themselves. It’s a hardcore title, and anyone I’ve run into online has appeared to be playing as safely as they can, with no BS in the mix.

+ DKShadow on July 29th, 2009 at 11:05 am said:

I’m curious about a European release as well – should I preorder from the US or should I hold my breath? :)

+ Aram Jabbari on July 29th, 2009 at 11:27 am said:

Atlus U.S.A., Inc. is strictly a North American publisher. We cannot speak for any other region.

As far as we are aware, there are currently no plans for Demon\’s Souls to come to Europe.

Hopefully that will change, because it really is a unique, amazing experience and we\’d love for everyone to be able to try it out!

+ Anubis80 on July 29th, 2009 at 11:09 am said:

@47 bdavid81

That might be right now. Just wait until the game actually hits here in the US or anywhere else. I find it hard to believe that it wont happen. But I will keep my ears open from what my friends say about it. Thanks for atleast saying what you have experienced so far with the online part.

+ nycredude on July 29th, 2009 at 11:11 am said:

I have been playing the import version and I have also preordered the us version. I will give my import version to my brother so he doesn’t have to buy it. Will people with the us version be able to play cooperatively with people with the asian version?

+ Nich Maragos on July 29th, 2009 at 11:20 am said:

Unfortunately, no, the NA servers will be separate from the Asian servers to give US players a clean slate.

+ BlooodyCow on July 29th, 2009 at 11:12 am said:

@Aram Jabbari
I read and understand why there is not friend invite. What I do not understand is, why have online co-op if we cannot play with the people we want to? Have you ever tried playing online co-op with someone that just join your game just to screw you over? Have you ever played Fable 2 online with someone you do not know? They join your game and killed the guards, steal from shops and quit. When they leave, you have to pay all the fines. That not an enjoyable experience because you played with a complete stranger.

+ Nich Maragos on July 29th, 2009 at 11:25 am said:

The amount of \”griefing\” possible in Demon\’s Souls is very low. Apart from Black Phantoms, whose entire goal is to kill you, co-op players are working with you toward a specific goal for which they get a substantial reward–and if a co-op player starts acting up, there are ways to kick them out of your game. I think once you play it, your worries about playing with jerks online will disappear.

+ Aram Jabbari on July 29th, 2009 at 11:34 am said:

Hopefully we will be able to put together a video or more detailed explanation as to how the cooperative (and competitive) play works, because it is difficult to convey.

When you visit someone to help them, or when you invite someone into your game to help you, they do not get free reign. They are there as your guest to help you, and to get in return a chance at reviving their body.

There is context and meaning to their being there with you, and they have absolutely no incentive to do anything harmful in your game (nor can they, really). The game is built so that they are overwhelmingly incentivized to be valuable assistance for you (or you for someone else, should you be the one offering help).

Hopefully you can see the game in person before you commit and get a feel for it yourself. Trust us, there\’s a reason it\’s not designed like other games, and once you experience it, you\’ll be opened up to a whole new way of thinking about how online play can enhance and enrich singleplayer RPGs.

+ TRIX_BOL on July 29th, 2009 at 11:12 am said:

Any differences on how Demon’s Soul AI gameplay goes beyond other Action RGP titles?

+ Anubis80 on July 29th, 2009 at 11:13 am said:

@51 BloodyCow

Thats what I am saying too. It happened to me in a few games too like RE5 and Sacred 2.

+ MeltTech on July 29th, 2009 at 11:14 am said:

This game would be awesome if the Demon’s Soul didn’t already kill my PS3. To think that I had one of the elite launch 60gb that wasn’t going to die? Sony consumer services said in that the 2 mins that it was on, IT OVERHEATED?

I don’t have $150 laying around to get a refurb and they can’t guarantee I’d get mine back.

Sorry I won’t be picking this game up now :-(

+ BlooodyCow on July 29th, 2009 at 11:15 am said:

@47 bdavid81
I disagree. Hardcore gamers are worst than children. Some of them join your game just to screw you up.

+ BlooodyCow on July 29th, 2009 at 11:18 am said:

@53 Anubis80
In Sacred 2, I made my co-op game open so people that want the 4 player trophy or to play the game on the hardest difficulty can get those trophies. When they join my game, they would go around and start accepting all the quests and quit. Next time you know, I have a bunch of animals and people following me on the hardest difficulty. I stop playing Sacred 2 that day because it was going to take too much time to finish all those quest without failing any of them.

+ thegamer154 on July 29th, 2009 at 11:19 am said:

Thanks a lot!

+ CinderShadow on July 29th, 2009 at 11:21 am said:

European Gamer Disappointed to be Left in the Dark.

+ Anubis80 on July 29th, 2009 at 11:22 am said:

@56 BloodyCow

I have set it up to private/invite only now but at first I didnt. So I know what you mean when you get some retards to join you and then screw you over like that. This is why I will most likely pass this game up. I dont need or want to deal with that.

+ Nich Maragos on July 29th, 2009 at 11:29 am said:

I\’d also like to point out that co-op players can\’t join your game at random–there\’s no \”public\” option where anyone can waltz in.

When someone wants to play co-op, they have to first drop a Soul Sign, which indicates to other nearby players that they\’re available. Those players can check the Soul Sign to see that player\’s rating before allowing him into their game, and at the end of a session, you can leave your own rating for the people you played co-op with. There are a lot of safeguards in place to prevent that kind of griefing, which is what makes the system work so well.

+ reson8er on July 29th, 2009 at 11:22 am said:

Looking awesome!

Leave it to Atlus to meet and then exceed my expectations for Atlus Spoils!

A nice way to package a great game (from what I hear).

Day 1 buy, keep up the great work!

+ Crimsondramon on July 29th, 2009 at 11:25 am said:

Thanks for the reply Nich ^_^ I would consider getting the US version for the goodies and to play with my friends (with some co-ordination and blue-eye stones of course!)

+ BlooodyCow on July 29th, 2009 at 11:26 am said:

I only made my online co-op open once just so people can join and get those two trophies. Now it is almost impossible for me to complete all those quest without having a few of those animals or people die that are following me. That why I stop playing Sacred 2 and sold the game because some idiots that was a level 77 ruin the game for me. I was at level 86 when I first started on the hardest difficulty.

+ d10sfan on July 29th, 2009 at 11:27 am said:

Imported the game and its great. Lot of fun, wish that we could play with the people that bought it in US though.

+ Neil on July 29th, 2009 at 11:28 am said:

This is one of the very few games I’ve ever pre-ordered so far in advance. Thanks for the bonus. Atlus spoils.

Also, will we have the option to play this game in Japanese with English subtitles?

+ Nich Maragos on July 29th, 2009 at 11:33 am said:

No Japanese voice acting was ever recorded for this game, not even in the Japanese release. The high-quality English voices in Demon\’s Souls are the original actors.

+ ADR143 on July 29th, 2009 at 11:28 am said:

dam good bonuses

+ BlooodyCow on July 29th, 2009 at 11:30 am said:

@Nich Maragos
sorry Nich Maragos, but I already learned my lesson from playing Fable 2 (Xbox 360) and Sacred 2 (PS3). Playing co-op with stranger will ruin your experience of a game and might undone 100’s of hours of game-play time because they are idiots. I have nothing against you guys, but I do not understand why have online co-op if you are not allow to invite your friends.

+ Aram Jabbari on July 29th, 2009 at 11:40 am said:

Sorry for all the trouble you\’ve had in other games. Again, hopefully we can better and more concisely explain for you the ways in which the game has failsafes in place to prevent the fact that you don\’t know the people coming to your assistance from ruining the experience.

Thanks for being so curious about the game and asking so many questions!

+ Anubis80 on July 29th, 2009 at 11:32 am said:

Well thanks Nich and Atram. That explains a ton more about the online to me and makes me want to check it out. But unfortunately I cant get the better package deals there since my PS3 crashed and I have to some how come up with $150 to repair it. But thanks again for explaining it.

+ jdizzle84 on July 29th, 2009 at 11:33 am said:

Just wanted to commend Atlus and Aram for being so responsive to gamers on this blog. This is how all publishers should be if they decide to blog about their game here.

Goes without saying, I’m super hyped about this game and already have it preordered from Amazon! Great to hear that I’ll be getting a few new extras. Atlus is #1!

+ Kenshin71 on July 29th, 2009 at 11:34 am said:

Regarding online with friends, it is possible. You just have to do a bit of co-ordinating via XMB messaging ie. be in the same place at the same time and around the same level. Also one of you has to be revived and the other in soul form. You then summon your friend into your game and then go off and fight together.

It’s tricky to do though and you can only play together through a level if the boss hasn’t been defeated.

+ ghamdikh1 on July 29th, 2009 at 11:34 am said:

@Aram Jabbari OR Nich Maragos

1-is there any plans for Atlus to bring there ps1 games to PSN?

2-is there any plans for Atlus to bring there PSP games to PSN?

+ Direxnipe on July 29th, 2009 at 11:35 am said:

one thing you might like to know is that the player who joins you cannot hurt you (black phantoms can but thats a different story). if the player dies he just dissapears, it doesn’t affect you. so its almost impossible for the other player to mess you up. at the very worst he could just not do anything.

+ TheInfectedBy590 on July 29th, 2009 at 11:36 am said:

“I listed the participating retailers so far a few replies up, but the release date is October 6th. (Of this year.)”

Thnx for the reply! :) But isn’t there like a huge gaming drought in August and September? And Uncharted 2 is coming out a week after Demon’s Souls Oct 6 date, wouldn’t it be better to release this game(if it is already completed) ahead of time like they did with inFamous? (Please? :D)

+ BlooodyCow on July 29th, 2009 at 11:37 am said:

@Nich Maragos
Sorry, but a rating system will fail 50% of the time. Have you ever played NBA 2K7 online? My rating in that game was 2 out of 5 because I would win 8 out of 10 times by a 15+ points. While playing, I never shake my controller to distract them while they are shooting free throws or run up the score when I know the game is over when I am up 15 with 2 minutes left. I usually just like the 24 shot clock expire and turn the ball over. I never quit because I was getting my ass kick.
In demon souls, I can see the same thing happening. People are going to get jealous if you join their game and kill the boss when they want too. They can easily kick you out and give you a bad rating.

+ CRONIC_GAMER on July 29th, 2009 at 11:37 am said:

This is the first time i’ve seen art from the game this looks interesting is it online is there a campagn how many hours can we expect it to be . Sorry I’m carrying on so many questions. This game looks great……. To say the least.!!!!!!

+ mafia28 on July 29th, 2009 at 11:37 am said:

WOOOOOOOOO!!!! Thanks atlus you guys kickass

One lil question off topic, is persona psp gonna be on the psn store for those who will be getting a psp go?

+ LokeSTL on July 29th, 2009 at 11:41 am said:

Does Atlus currently have any other PS3 RPGs in the works for us in the US?

+ Gorvi on July 29th, 2009 at 11:42 am said:

I’m not sure I’ve seen this addressed anywhere, but will there be voice chat when you join another player’s game?

+ Aram Jabbari on July 29th, 2009 at 11:53 am said:

The game does not have voice chat functionality, although there is an emote system that will let you indicate things on a very basic level to your fellow adventurers.

+ Neil on July 29th, 2009 at 11:44 am said:

Who’s publishing the strategy guide? Will it be sold separately as well?

+ Aram Jabbari on July 29th, 2009 at 11:55 am said:

The strategy guide is ONLY available as part of the Deluxe Edition and will not be sold separately. We\’ll have more news about who we\’ve partnered with for the strategy guide at a later date.

+ BlooodyCow on July 29th, 2009 at 11:50 am said:

@ Nich Maragos & Aram Jabbari
Sorry that I may have sound like an ass or a cry baby, but experience from other games online co-op greatly influence my view on other online co-op games. This game was number 3 on my must have game this year behind Uncharted 2 and inFamous, but after reading that I cannot invite my friend or lack of voice chat in this game, I lost all interest in this game. I know there is text chat, but in the middle of battle, I do not want to stop and risk being killed just to message the person playing with me on what our plan is going to be or if I or he should use a certain spell while the other attack. Me and my best friend was greatly interest in this game because we both love JRPG and loved that fact that we both can play a JRPG in co-op. But after finding out that there is not buddy invite, we both lost interest in this game. If you guys ever release a patch for include voice chat and a friend invite system, then I would buy this game in a heart beat.

+ Voozi on July 29th, 2009 at 11:51 am said:

Preordered the Deluxe from Amazon. I assume they’ll be getting the soundtrack as well because they’re also offering the art book for preorder?

Thanks for expanding on the preorder bonuses. I sure love more free stuff =D

Oh and while ATLUS is here on the Blog…I’ll make the next off topic thing short and sweet.

+1 voice for Shin Megami Tensei Persona 5 for PS3 please =] (Or any other type of SMT, or even SMT 4! lol)

Thanks again ATLUS for your support of PS3. Can’t wait to see what you bring in the future.

+ Dragonzblaze on July 29th, 2009 at 11:54 am said:

going to preorder deluxe edition ASAP im looking 4 a challenge and this game looks very challenging cant wait 2 play it thanks atlus for localizing and extra goodies u guys rock

+ GGCAN on July 29th, 2009 at 10:08 am said:

Thanks Aram.

Is this available outside the US as well ?

I know many times it’s region specific, just wanted to know if Canada has this offer too ?

+ Nich Maragos on July 29th, 2009 at 10:37 am said:

Yes, the preorder bonuses (for either version) are available from amazon.ca and videogamesplus.

+ PullusPardusUS on July 29th, 2009 at 10:08 am said:

so its only on pre-order?
i really want it , but i can’t pre-order..

+ Aram Jabbari on July 29th, 2009 at 10:47 am said:

You\’ll have no trouble getting the Standard or Deluxe editions of the game, but the free art book and soundtrack CD are indeed pre-order bonuses, and are only available to people who reserve either edition of the game at a participating retailer.

+ Carl-G on July 29th, 2009 at 10:08 am said:

That looks nice ;P

+ Ruffday on July 29th, 2009 at 10:09 am said:

Wow I’ve never heard of this game maybe we could get an interview or something to find out more on it. I’d like to hear more

+ Violater on July 29th, 2009 at 10:10 am said:

I hope this game sells very well.

+ spunnups on July 29th, 2009 at 10:10 am said:

Ok guys….For anyone that’s played it…is it better than Oblvion?!?!? I sure hope so. There needs to be more games like it. From what i’ve seen, it looks better.

+ Ftwrthtx on July 29th, 2009 at 10:11 am said: