Until Dawn

Jul 29

Demon’s Souls Pre-order Bonus Expands, Now Also Includes Full Soundtrack

Aram Jabbari's Avatar Posted by Aram Jabbari on Jul 29, 2009 // Manager of PR and Sales, ATLUS

Demon's Souls screenshot 1

Hey folks, AtlusA.R.A.M. here, and I’ve got some news to share regarding Demon’s Souls, the upcoming action RPG for PLAYSTATION 3.

Now, if you’re unfamiliar with Demon’s Souls, getting up-to-speed should be as easy as checking out the blogs we’re featuring in the official game message boards, hitting up the game’s official website, and checking out the great PlayStation Eye chat we had with the incredibly awesome Jeff Rubenstein.

As you may already know, we’re offering fans who pre-order either version of the game (Standard or Deluxe, at participating retailers only) a full-color, 40-page art book featuring sketches, designs, and renders that wonderfully show off the game’s gritty medieval aesthetic.  On its own, this is a pretty nice bonus (says the publisher offering it), considering it is being thrown in at no additional cost to the customer, but we’ve recently decided to take things a step further:

Demon's Souls Pre-order

Resist, if you dare.

In addition to the art book, fans who pre-order will now ALSO receive the game’s FULL soundtrack CD.  That’s right, we’re going to throw 24 tracks (about 71 minutes) of music into the pre-order bonus as well.  And if you’ve ever heard the game in action, you likely know that the music is haunting, atmospheric, sweeping, and orchestral.  Don’t worry, people who have already pre-ordered: the music disc is secured on the back inside cover of the art book, so you won’t miss out!

So, whether you reserve (at participating retailers) the Standard edition of the game, which would net you the game, art book, and soundtrack CD, or whether you upgrade to the Deluxe edition, which gets you the game, a 150+ page strategy guide, a collectible slip case, the game’s complete musical score, and a premium art book, you’re going to be getting a heck of a deal.

Demon's Souls Strategy Guide Sample

Sample from Official Demon’s Souls Strategy Guide

Of course, these extras are in addition to all the changes and enhancements coming to the North American release of the gaming, such as:

• All-new North American cover art
  • All-new North American online servers (which ensures a level playing field for newcomers)
  • An improved localization, which addresses many grammar/inaccuracy issues from the overseas version

Join us, won’t you, as we venture into the Kingdom of Boletaria on October 6th, 2009.  It’s going to be a tough battle to deliver the realm from evil, but hey, at least you’ll have a ton of free swag to comfort yourself if you happen to reserve your copy today.

Until next time, friends.

+ RemyVJA on July 29th, 2009 at 10:11 am said:

This is harsh. Evaluate me.

+ Crimsondramon on July 29th, 2009 at 10:11 am said:

Playing the game right now XD Too bad I’m gonna miss out on these free goodies though :)

Would be nice if you guys could scan the NA cover for me to put on my Asian copy, this cover freaking rocks! Also, will the Artbook and soundtrack be sold seperately too? Really want those too ^_^

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

+ Nich Maragos on July 29th, 2009 at 10:38 am said:

The artbook, soundtrack, and strategy guide will not be available separately. You\’re just gonna have to pony up for the US version if you want \’em!

+ spunnups on July 29th, 2009 at 10:11 am said:

You know what, screw it, i’m getting this. I support PS3 exclusives before anyone else. What am i thinking?!?

+ BlooodyCow on July 29th, 2009 at 10:13 am said:

Will you guy implement friend invite in the online co-op? That is the only reason I am not guying this game. What the point of having an online co-op game if I cannot play with my friends on my buddy list?

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

+ Aram Jabbari on July 29th, 2009 at 10:57 am said:

There will be no friends lists or friend invites in the online cooperative play. It is not a separate mode you initiate, but rather, an integral component of playing the game.

Once you spend a few minutes experiencing how the online play is integrated into the game, you\’ll understand why it is setup as such and why friend invites wouldn\’t work.

Thanks for the question!

+ BenderUnit22 on July 29th, 2009 at 10:18 am said:

Us Europeans missing out again… Bring this damn game to Europe.

+ Jeigh on July 29th, 2009 at 10:19 am said:

Well, dammit, that IS hard to resist. Consider me stabbed. A year ago I don’t think I even knew what this game was, but over the past couple months it’s risen to the top of my interests like a supermodel knocking on my front door. Thanks for this- very cool, indeed. (And Jeff IS amazingly awesome- hurray for the Lord of the Blog. :P )

+ onlineatron on July 29th, 2009 at 10:19 am said:

Would love this game to come to the UK……..Could always import it though =D

+ bdavid81 on July 29th, 2009 at 10:21 am said:

Sounds great. I’m loving the import so far. I fully paid off my deluxe edition pre-order yesterday at EB Games.

Question, will save files from the import be compatible on this release? It’d be great..

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

+ Aram Jabbari on July 29th, 2009 at 10:59 am said:

Saves will not be compatible between the two versions. Sorry about that!

+ THE_LIGHT_05 on July 29th, 2009 at 10:21 am said:

don’t import. we use a different system thing to you. we use NTSC you use in europe PAL.

+ ghamdikh1 on July 29th, 2009 at 10:22 am said:

+ SP1NAL on July 29th, 2009 at 10:22 am said:

seems to me a game like this is a no-brainer… it has aesthetic armor/equipment, and plays to my inner hunter/gatherer rpg lust… it’s a personal check-list to all i want out of a now-gen rpg… its all i can do to satisfy my urge not to import this… with atlus’ bountiful add-ons for pre-order, and the fact that its cheaper with extras than importing the norm, its making the wait unbearable. ill stick to scouring forums for any images, info and hours on hours of drooling on youtube. thanks for bringing this stateside, atlus! and your taste in rpgs!!

+ DonnyG on July 29th, 2009 at 10:23 am said:

looks cool

+ Maguss on July 29th, 2009 at 10:24 am said:

Is this anywhere we pre order or does it have to be a gamespot/eb games?

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

+ Nich Maragos on July 29th, 2009 at 10:40 am said:

Any major retailer. The confirmed list so far includes GameStop/EB, GameCrazy, GameFly, Wal-Mart (online only), Buy.com (online only), GoGamer.com (online only), amazon.com and amazon.ca, and Videogamesplus (online only.)

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

+ Aram Jabbari on July 29th, 2009 at 11:02 am said:

The promotion is not exclusive to any one store, and the list of stores participating may grow from now until launch. Just be sure wherever you\’re pre-ordering, online or in stores, that you verify that they are in fact participating in the promotion.

+ Nynja on July 29th, 2009 at 10:24 am said:

Excellent. Already plan on picking this game up. How much will the Deluxe Edition cost?

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

+ Nich Maragos on July 29th, 2009 at 10:41 am said:

The Deluxe Edition with slipcase and strategy guide is $69.99.

+ jBat17 on July 29th, 2009 at 10:25 am said:

no improvements on the game itself?.. maybe because it is already perfect..

still, some improved textures/graphics would be nice.

i pre-ordered the Deluxe already. can’t wait.

+ Kxpuc on July 29th, 2009 at 10:28 am said:

If i didn’t like the game so much that i imported it, would have picked this up

+ LokeSTL on July 29th, 2009 at 10:28 am said:

Uggghhhh…..Not a big fan of “action RPGs”, I prefer the real thing. But what else am I gonna play this year after I’m done with Cross Edge? It’s a long friggin’ wait for WKC and an even longer wait for FFXIII. Crap…okay….you win. Not really what I’m looking for, but close enough. Pre-ordering this puppy on Amazon. Thanks Atlus for sticking your neck out on this one. See you gamers on the servers this October. :-) Let’s do this!

+ NightHawk17 on July 29th, 2009 at 10:29 am said:

I already pre-ordered the deluxe edition on amazon a few weeks ago, so will the cd be added to my deluxe edition?

oh yeah i imported the game, most of us importers are glad Demon’s Souls is getting the recognition it deserves :P

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

+ Nich Maragos on July 29th, 2009 at 10:42 am said:

Yes. The CD will be attached to the art book, so any existing preorders will automatically get the soundtrack too.

+ Gorvi on July 29th, 2009 at 10:44 am said:

Are there a limited number of pre-order bonuses? Is there any way for us to guarantee that we get the bonus, or maybe to word that better, is it possible to pre-order and not get the bonus because they’ve run out? Is there a “best” place to pre-order so as to ensure we do get the bonus? This stuff is so cool I really want to make sure I get it. :)

+ jakebonz on July 29th, 2009 at 10:44 am said:

Totally worth the double-dip. My only question is will it mess with my Import/Asian version trophies? Will it continue to add to them much like Singstar does or will it create an all-new record of trophies for the US version?

+ Toppled_Dynamo on July 29th, 2009 at 10:45 am said:

Now THAT’S how you do a preorder bonus!

+ bdavid81 on July 29th, 2009 at 10:45 am said:

Let’s try this again to see if I can get an answer. :)

Will our save files from the English work with this version?

+ OverlordSpike on July 29th, 2009 at 10:47 am said:

atlus, your so mean =\..but if there is any game that i would buy twice it would be this master piece

+ bdavid81 on July 29th, 2009 at 10:48 am said:

Whoop, typo. It should be clear enough, but I was asking:

Will save files from the English Import be compatible with this version?

Regardless, I’ve paid for the deluxe version in full, but I’d still like to know if I need to restart the game or just continue leveling.

+ INTVGene on July 29th, 2009 at 10:47 am said:

Already imported the game, but just letting you guys know that this is my Game of the Year so far. Nice deluxe edition stuff.

+ depward on July 29th, 2009 at 10:31 am said:

Can always count on Atlus for some sweet preorder swag (along with regular swag w/ games).

Very cool… thanks!

+ Kaorobean on July 29th, 2009 at 10:33 am said:

Wait, Aram’s post makes it sound like the art book and soundtrack that come with the Deluxe edition are different from the regular edition. Is that true? Already have the Deluxe preordered but it would be nice to hear :).

Also, is the guide an in-house project at Atlus or are you having another company do it? I hope it’s Doublejumpbooks. Their guides are awesome.

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

+ Nich Maragos on July 29th, 2009 at 10:44 am said:

No, the art book and soundtrack are the same for both the Deluxe and regular editions.

The guide is not produced in-house, but I think you can expect an announcement about our partner for it before too long.

+ Keeng on July 29th, 2009 at 10:36 am said:

I’m totally buying this game.

+ Belmonth on July 29th, 2009 at 10:38 am said:

Great! I couldn’t decide which one to get but after seeing this I imediatly preorder ASAP the deluxe edition, thanks Atlus!

+ ProjectSiK on July 29th, 2009 at 10:39 am said:

I wonder how many Atlus n00bs are buying this game

+ TheInfectedBy590 on July 29th, 2009 at 10:39 am said:

Which are these ‘participating retailers’?
Also, has there been an official release date?

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

+ Nich Maragos on July 29th, 2009 at 10:44 am said:

I listed the participating retailers so far a few replies up, but the release date is October 6th. (Of this year.)

+ bdavid81 on July 29th, 2009 at 10:40 am said:

$69.99 US / $79.99 CDN

We Canadians get screwed. :( Fortunately, I came into a little extra cash this week, so my pre-order is paid in full.

+ jBat17 on July 29th, 2009 at 11:42 am said:

for all the complaining about co-op (or pvp), just sign out of psn or turn off your ps3’s internet connection when playing this game and you should be fine.

but yeah, it would be a cool feature is you can invite your friend.

+ Kenshin71 on July 29th, 2009 at 11:55 am said:

Must say it’s a shame the servers will be region locked. I thought this kind of thing disappeared in 2006. It’s 2009, people play online with people all over the world and have people on their PSN friend’s list from many countries, other regions. I have friends from the US, Europe, Japan, Australia, everywhere. The online co-op is restricted to players around the same level so I can’t see why it would be a problem to have global servers.

+ DMPrince on July 29th, 2009 at 11:56 am said:

is Best Buy one of the retailers? if not. contact them!!

+ Mounce- on July 29th, 2009 at 11:57 am said:

Think there’s a chance that even MORE things could be added to those who Pre-order, or decide to get the Deluxe edition? Without sounding greedy? Haha XD Maybe a badass poster for peoples’ rooms! That’d be an AWESOME idea.

I loved the cover art for the previous versions of the game of the knight on the ground against the wall, I think that or something similar would be an awesome piece to add to a fans’ collection, so whenever they play the game at night, or try to go to sleep, they can look at it grimly and its haunting nature while playing the game Wouldn’t you?

I’ve already Pre-ordered the game, since maybe around, July 10th? I am just begging that PS3 Slim comes out before its release! So I can have a PS3 to actually play it on….

+ KamikazeBingo on July 29th, 2009 at 12:06 pm said:

I was wondering, since the Asian saves won’t be compatible with the US version, if the trophy list will also be separate from the Asian one?

Would I be able to gain a brand new batch of trophies, or would whatever I grab on the US version simply add up on the ones I got on the Asian version?

I ask because there are a few games where if someone was to play both the Import and Local versions, they would have two separate trophy lists on their account.

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

+ Aram Jabbari on July 29th, 2009 at 12:12 pm said:

The North American version will have a separate trophy list, although each of the specific trophies will mirror those from the Asian/Japanese releases of the game.

So, to answer your question, you WILL be able to gain a brand new batch of trophies. :)

I hope that answers your question.

+ iExile on July 29th, 2009 at 12:06 pm said:

Pre-ordered and paid in full since weeks ago. Demon’s Souls and Uncharted 2 in the same month? I’ll be in gaming heaven.

+ Direxnipe on July 29th, 2009 at 12:12 pm said:

did you see my comment? its #72. it might make you feel a little better about the game.

+ Zezzler on July 29th, 2009 at 12:13 pm said:

Does Atlus have any other ps3 RPGs in the works at the moment? i really love all of them and hope to see some SMT games on a ps3 one day.

+ sam_i_jam on July 29th, 2009 at 12:14 pm said:

My interest is definitely there for this title.

Looking forward to the hands-on impressions from various media outlets.

Aram, great job on handling the questions and comments posed on this forum.

Jabbari. Is that Persian?

+ KamikazeBingo on July 29th, 2009 at 12:21 pm said:

Yes! Brand new batch of trophies for me it is then, I’m gonna go ahead and order the Deluxe Edition. It’s my Game of the Year so far, so I think Atlus definitely deserves my support by not only releasing it here, but also adding tons of bonuses for us.

By the way, for those complaining about region-locked servers, you really need to understand the co-op before complaining about something like this. It’s really not a loss at all, in fact, if it makes the online experience smoother we’re all better off for it.

+ mixedkidbx on July 29th, 2009 at 12:22 pm said:

hey more free stuff is always a bonus in my eyes.

+ Kane22_ on July 29th, 2009 at 12:25 pm said:

My biggest problem i see in DS is no voice communication i really talking to friends or anyone i’m playing with. having co-op with no voice communication is a really big blow but i’m still getting the game. atlus i hope u know what u guys r doing cause this will definitely turn heads the other way.

+ Jer1ch0 on July 29th, 2009 at 12:35 pm said:

I agree with a lot of the comments on confusion over the multiplayer. It seems a lot like the Mercenaries 2 multiplayer where people could simply hop in and assist you in missions. A narrated video showing it in action would probably explain a lot and would be appreciated!

+ Jon_Mclane on July 29th, 2009 at 12:42 pm said:

I’m having such a hard time deciding what to get between this uncharted 2 or Ninja Gaiden 2. I’ll probably end up getting this one just cause I’m so desperate for a ps3 RPG, although I still haven’t beaten persona 3 or devil survivor.

+ stennex on July 29th, 2009 at 1:06 pm said:

This is da [DELETED]. can’t wait to try of this RPG.

+ shadowkiller11 on July 29th, 2009 at 1:08 pm said:

God damn it, i want this game in the UK oh well looks like an import will do then.

+ Gvghf on July 29th, 2009 at 1:16 pm said:

Hey Nich, quick question.

Will there be PlayStation Home support like in the Japanese Home where there would be a few Demon Souls Costumes for sale?

The feedback (at least from what I gathered) for the Armor over in the NA PlayStation Home has been great and a lot would want to purchase the Armor over here.

Thanks if you answer.

+ TerryVSL on July 29th, 2009 at 1:25 pm said:

Oct. 6?

That is only one week before Uncharted 2 launches? That’s going to hurt sales of this amazing game.

Move the release day up. This game doesn’t need a repeat of the Japanese launch fiasco where a massive underestimate of demand really hurt sales.