PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Burn Zombie Burn! Patch and Home Space

Ollie Barder's Avatar + Posted by Ollie Barder on Jul 31, 2009 // Senior Games Designer, doublesix Games

Greetings! My name is Ollie Barder and I’m a senior games designer at doublesix, the studio behind the recent PlayStation Network exclusive Burn Zombie Burn! Along with other members of our studio, I worked a lot on the game’s scripting and level design. So when you see zombies and weapons spawn in lovely patterns and forcing you into choke points, that’s me.

We’ve also been hard at work at expanding the Burn Zombie Burn! universe since the game was released in March. With our new Home space, set in a themed graveyard, you can literally walk amongst the undead in the same way as you do in game. There’s also a cool maze populated with some zombies too. Naturally, there’s a selection of apparel available for purchase as well.

In addition to our new Home space, there’s also a patch out now that has YouTube and background music support. This means you can record in-game footage and then upload it to YouTube to show off your skills. Background music support means you can select music to playback in game via the XMB and the music you have stored on your PlayStation 3. Enjoy!

PAGE 1 2

+ snoopypup248 on July 31st, 2009 at 11:09 am said:

Awesome news! Love the game! :D

+ xfer on July 31st, 2009 at 11:10 am said:

Hmm, does the patch fix the controls?

+ Ollie Barder on July 31st, 2009 at 2:50 pm said:

The shooting mechanics we used in BZB were borne out of necessity due to the inclusion of melee weapons and, most importantly, that of the torch. Specifically, the torch allows you to run through non-flaming zombies unharmed but if you were able to change the direction of the torch pointed in relation to the way Bruce is moving you’ll get hit from behind. Dual stick controls work very well with shooting mechanics but when you start adding a variety of melee approaches (from baseball bats, to chainsaws and lawnmowers) its flaws become very apparent.

+ Letters2Kay on July 31st, 2009 at 11:10 am said:

Thank you for the patch (custom soundtracks are MUCH appreciated) and thank you for your hard work on one of my favorite PSN games to date. Can’t wait for the expansion! :)

+ reson8er on July 31st, 2009 at 11:10 am said:

This is great, thanks for supporting this great little game:)

Custom soundtracks are ALWAYS welcome. Looking forward to news on the expansion ;)

+ reson8er on July 31st, 2009 at 11:11 am said:

@ xfer

The controls are fine, care to elaborate?

+ X-CageRage-X on July 31st, 2009 at 11:16 am said:

The home space was great also, I did get the BZB T-shirt.

+ theNEONlobster on July 31st, 2009 at 11:17 am said:

i love this game. i hate the trophies, tho LOL

so, uhh, updates sound awesome but are you guys thinking about (*thinking*) online multiplayer? that would rock.

oh, and if you’re gonna reply.. what’s this i hear about “zombies in space” from the eu title screen?

+ Ollie Barder on July 31st, 2009 at 2:56 pm said:

\”In Space\” is the new DLC for BZB that\’s on the way. It features two new levels set inside an alien space ship.

As for online multiplayer, it\’s something that we\’ve talked about in the studio but the technical issues in essentially retrofitting an already finished game to work online are particularly significant for a studio of our size.

+ Seiven on July 31st, 2009 at 11:19 am said:

Sweet, can’t wait to try out the new features

+ LN_MEXWARRIOR on July 31st, 2009 at 11:19 am said:

AWESOME! Thanks for the In-game XMB music!

+ poweredbyzen on July 31st, 2009 at 11:19 am said:

just wanted to say thanks for keeping Home interesting all the time – i enjoy visiting!

+ Todd_Bridges on July 31st, 2009 at 11:26 am said:

More games should be doing the in game music support. With a title like this that is priced great and they do it. Nice Job Guys!

+ Tr3p1dat10n on July 31st, 2009 at 11:30 am said:

How many people can be in the maze at once? I tried to get in it yesterday to no avail.

Also, get that zombie costume (the walking one) on the store <.<

+ Maguss on July 31st, 2009 at 11:36 am said:

Thanks for the update, this is one of my favorite PSN games so far. I’m glad you guys are going to keep expanding this great game. Any word on some online multiplayer? Please please please!!!

+ VofEscaflowne on July 31st, 2009 at 11:36 am said:

Heck yeah, major thanks for in-game music support! Can anything be said about the “In space” mode that was added on the title screen but is still listed as “coming soon?”

+ VofEscaflowne on July 31st, 2009 at 11:38 am said:

Damn, that’s what the video was for… hah. Sorry :p Any price range on this then?

+ KILLZONE79 on July 31st, 2009 at 11:55 am said:

online multiplayer would be sweet! what do you think doublesix games?

+ Hellman on July 31st, 2009 at 11:56 am said:

Cool I might play this game again!

+ rafael_martines on July 31st, 2009 at 12:00 pm said:

What about Online Co-op!? C’mon doublesix!

+ Ymastr587 on July 31st, 2009 at 12:06 pm said:

Awesome news! BZB is always a big hit when I have the mates over, and even more so now that we can have some Pillar blaring in the backround.

+ Seafea on July 31st, 2009 at 12:12 pm said:

Where are Home Spaces? I’ve never been to one before.

+ KwietStorm on July 31st, 2009 at 12:20 pm said:

Too bad you can’t get in the maze.

+ melliflous on July 31st, 2009 at 12:24 pm said:

thats great ‘n al but what about in game private chat?

+ Anubis80 on July 31st, 2009 at 12:30 pm said:

This is such a fun game really. My brother and I made one saturday from like 10 am to like 1 am of just killing zombies between Burn Zombie Burn! and Resident Evil 5. It was a great day to be alive and not zombies. So keep up with the good work and updating this game.

+ recon_unleashed on July 31st, 2009 at 1:08 pm said:

hey what about online coop and a no gravity level would be cool.. will the add on have trophies?

+ Ollie Barder on July 31st, 2009 at 2:57 pm said:

There will be new trophies in the DLC.

+ PhantomMenace84 on July 31st, 2009 at 1:13 pm said:

Nice additions the YouTube support is great and I wish more games would support it or some other form of video recording software. I haven’t had a chance to get the game but I just might have to. Good work.

+ DJSOS202 on July 31st, 2009 at 1:18 pm said:

In Game XMB u say?so this means I can blast zombies while listening to dead pool-bodies?..YES!!

+ jackeduponmtdew5 on July 31st, 2009 at 1:23 pm said:

cool game love the new features. but hey need the youtube feature on alot of other games as well

+ EddyxMob on July 31st, 2009 at 1:43 pm said:

IN SPACE…..

AWESOME
Also Ollie Barder I want your Avatar

+ Ollie Barder on July 31st, 2009 at 3:00 pm said:

Hahah! Thanks, it\’s a parody of Katoki Hajime from Keroro Gunsou (as he heads up a lot of the Gundam kit and toy manufacture at Bandai these days – as well as being a brilliant mecha designer in his own right obviously).

+ will_orz on July 31st, 2009 at 1:47 pm said:

Ollie, your avatar wins. GUNDAM-MAN!

+ Enforcer_X on July 31st, 2009 at 1:53 pm said:

YES XMB MUSIC!
THANK YOU!

+ T3mpr1x on July 31st, 2009 at 1:59 pm said:

Well, custom soundtrack and YouTube support I think just sold me on the game – I’m gonna buy it when I get home from work!

+ Stoffinator on July 31st, 2009 at 3:16 pm said:

Great job on the game guys. Always fun going around killing zombies. Glad the game has worked out for you. I hope it met expectations?

+ Ollie Barder on July 31st, 2009 at 3:24 pm said:

Thanks and it\’s always nice to hear people talk about how much they like the game, as all of us at doublesix worked hard on it.

+ theNEONlobster on July 31st, 2009 at 5:41 pm said:

Ollie Barder replied on July 31, 2009 at 2:56 pm

As for online multiplayer, it’s something that we’ve talked about in the studio but the technical issues in essentially retrofitting an already finished game to work online are particularly significant for a studio of our size.

Why can’t more devs be that straight-forward? LOL Thanks a million! I’ll def. be getting that DLC!

+ Ollie Barder on August 1st, 2009 at 3:35 am said:

I do want to clarify that we do plan on having more online multiplayer games in the future though.

+ Thrasher20 on July 31st, 2009 at 5:51 pm said:

I think more multiplayer games should have YouTube sharing as well as custom XMB sound track. I also like the fact that it is getting its own Home space.

+ IcEcReAm_KiLleR on July 31st, 2009 at 6:42 pm said:

+ IcEcReAm_KiLleR on July 31st, 2009 at 6:43 pm said:

how do u get to in space? there needs to be 4 player co-op

+ RozeEagle on July 31st, 2009 at 6:58 pm said:

Ollie, do you know exactly how many free unlockable items are available through the BZB Home space? I tried the zombie maze multiple times, but only was awarded with one T-shirt which I earned only for completing the maze the first time.

+ Ollie Barder on August 1st, 2009 at 3:37 am said:

At present, you only get a free t-shirt for completing the maze. More free items will follow in future though.

+ ZAANOS on July 31st, 2009 at 7:41 pm said:

I checked out the update. Nothing like playing BZB while listening to Muse. :D Also about the Home Space can you open up the disco ball area? People end up entering the place by clipping through the walls why not just let them in LOL.

Like the other’s have said nice avatar! I was watching 0079 before I went to bed tonight and I have a Katoki Hajime Gundam Fix poster on my door! Wish a western developer gave the Gundam name justice maybe a Sony dev? *wink* *wink*

+ Ollie Barder on August 1st, 2009 at 3:42 am said:

There is a new PlayStation 3 exclusive Gundam game on the horizon, which looks like it could be very good (as it\’s developed by the same team that worked on the Blue Destiny games on the Saturn, which were thoroughly excellent). It\’s set in U.C. 0081 and bridges the gap between the original series/movies and Stardust Memory. Katoki is helming a lot of the game\’s mecha design too.

Anyway, apologies for that little outburst but if you\’re interested in knowing more I have a YouTube channel full of mecha gaming footage (most of it recorded by me on games I play):

+ The_FPS on July 31st, 2009 at 7:50 pm said:

@2 xfer:

I for one am excited to hear this game is not a 2 stick shooter, and will be picking it up today because of that. Not every game needs to have the same controls.

I am excited to hear there are many melee weapons too. There is nothing better than beating a zombie up with an old fashioned baseball bat!

+ dcelw540 on July 31st, 2009 at 7:54 pm said:

So how long will the dlc be? and i wanted to know if somebody get me a new game copy now i lost my other account from hackers and now he has everything!!! Thnx for the news though I loved the game!!

+ kc_chang on July 31st, 2009 at 9:26 pm said:

Nice job on the expantion, one question thou, is it an add-on (Up-grade) or do we have to buy the full “new” game???
PLs reply…
P.S. How much would it??? ($$)

+ Ollie Barder on August 1st, 2009 at 3:44 am said:

The DLC is a separate purchase from the core game, so you can still buy the core version of BZB if you want to also play the new DLC.

As for cost, it won\’t be very much at all but we\’re not able to go into pricing specifics at this time. Sorry.

+ bigdaddyellis40 on July 31st, 2009 at 9:49 pm said:

Dude I love the home space. Are you guys planing on puttinr more content in the zombies store. I would like to get the hair style for my avatar plus the jeans, a zombie costume with a full mask. and some more shirts would be sweet.
Kudo’s on the space and the new featurs in the game

+ bigdaddyellis40 on July 31st, 2009 at 9:50 pm said:

Dude I love the home space. Are you guys planing on putting more content in the zombies store. I would like to get the hair style for my avatar plus the jeans, a zombie costume with a full mask. and some more shirts would be sweet.
Kudo’s on the space and the new features in the game

+ bigdaddyellis40 on July 31st, 2009 at 9:52 pm said:

sorry for the double post you guys should have a edit option if you can delete the first one and this one after

+ Ostaf52 on July 31st, 2009 at 11:01 pm said:

Is this the first game to have in game music?

Its the first time i have heard about it since the update allowing game developers to put this in their games. Awesome. I am going to go jump on Home and go to the BZB space and ask around about this game.

If everyone says its awesome then I will check the price, and if I can, then I will buy it.

And then I will put a crap load of music on my PlayStation and play BZB while listening to Velvet Underground.

+ fox198 on August 1st, 2009 at 5:53 am said:

i am happy i bought this game i will now have 2 buy dlc keep up the good work

+ omar22nader on August 1st, 2009 at 7:21 am said:

Hey i have a question.
can you make Burn Zombie Burn to be free for one week like in rag doll kung fu?

please reply and thank you

+ Ollie Barder on August 3rd, 2009 at 3:09 am said:

There are no plans to offer BZB for free at this time.

+ HawkEyes1 on August 1st, 2009 at 12:19 pm said:

We want Mulitplayer thanx for the IN GAME MUSIC I HOPE ALL THESE GAMES WILL HAVE IT SOON NICE UPDATE!!!

+ javi2hotty on August 1st, 2009 at 7:04 pm said:

The patch sounds awesome! How do you get the patch? Do u just get an update?

+ Ollie Barder on August 3rd, 2009 at 3:10 am said:

Yes, as long as you\’re online and logged into PSN the patch download will start automatically once you start up BZB.

+ I2onnie on August 2nd, 2009 at 9:58 am said:

Too childish… whats the point of having a PS3 and playing a game with N64 grpahics…?

+ Ollie Barder on August 3rd, 2009 at 6:20 am said:

An N64 wouldn\’t be able handle the amount of zombies we have on screen (as in 100+). As for childish, not every game needs to go down the path of photo-realism.

PAGE 1 2