LittleBigPlanet 3

Gran Turismo PSP Cover Revealed

Stephanie Yoshimoto's Avatar + Posted by Stephanie Yoshimoto on Jul 31, 2009 // Senior Product Marketing Manager

Hello, GT fans and car lovers. As revealed yesterday on MotorTrend.com, the Corvette ZR1 was chosen by Gran Turismo producer and series creator Kazunori Yamauchi to grace the cover of the first Gran Turismo game to make its way to the PSP.

GT PSP Packfront

Dubbed the “Blue Devil” by the team at GM, the ZR1 is GM’s most powerful production car ever, sporting a 6.2L V8 pumping out 638hp and a 0-60 time of 3.3 seconds. Motor Trend was able to get the ZR1 to an incredible top speed of 200.5mph, did the quarter mile in 11.2 seconds finishing at 130.5mph, and raved about its performance.

GT PSP ZR1 shot 1

GT PSP ZR1 shot 2

So, everyone else loves the ZR1, but why was it picked for the cover of Gran Turismo’s PSP debut? Well, who better to explain that than the man behind GT himself, Kazunori Yamauchi.

“This spring I visited Detroit a few times, mainly to see the factories of the Big 3, and their museums and archives.

What I came to realize in those visits, was that the designs and mechanisms of American cars, in all eras over the years, have always been aimed towards a bright new future that all little kids dream about, and just
seeing them makes your heart race.

I found that when I’m surrounded by these generations of American cars, it just simply makes me happy.

There is a different experience in European car museums. In Europe I am more enveloped by a humbling, almost holy experience, in awe of the existence of the Automobile that was born out of practicality, and usually
appreciate its rich, diligent history of engineering in silent respect.

And so I’ve really come to realize more and more lately, that “American Cars have always been looking straight into the future, and have always been full of dreams – and quite wonderful after all.”

With all the automotive industry in the world at a crisis, I know that North American automakers are especially in a very difficult situation, and I understand the background and the reasons behind this.

And I can easily envision these things affecting our works as well. After all, as you well know, the game Gran Turismo is a video game that grew thanks to the insight and vision of the automotive industry, and in effect
nurtured by its kindness, in its very womb.

And that’s why I wanted us to make something, that could cheer up those in the industry.

Many GM cars representative from the Autorama days have really helped build the foundations of my adoration and sense of value for cars. And something that had always been deep within my heart over the years, is the long line
of Corvettes;

As long as I’ve known in every era, even from when I was a very small child, the Corvette has always been one of the coolest cars around.

And that is the reason why the newest Corvette ZR-1, was selected for the package cover of Gran Turismo for the PSP that is planned for release.

Also, there’s a fun little bit at the ending of this PSP version Gran Turismo, that is in concert with this package image of the Corvette.

I hope you’ll look forward to its release..”

GT PSP ZR1 shot 3

GT PSP ZR1 shot 4

And to close off the work-week with a bit of an international flare, here’s a Japanese commercial for Gran Turismo, featuring two of the world’s best three-lettered racing machines on one of the world’s most challenging tracks. Check out the video below and let your eyes feast on the future of handheld racing. Extra kudos points for anyone that can tell us what cars and track we’re talking about…and if you need some extra HD help, the video is also available for download (for free) on PSN.

So mark it on your calendars: Gran Turismo, on UMD and PSN this October 1. More than 800 cars, 35 tracks, a lifetime’s worth of racing.

+ my_katamari on July 31st, 2009 at 4:49 pm said:

GRAN TURISMO FOR LIFE!! I;ve got the games, Steering Wheel AND Stickers!!!!

+ Kamahl_rg on July 31st, 2009 at 4:55 pm said:

great car and great game… im probably getting it as well as GT5 when it comes out…

+ anonymouszombie on July 31st, 2009 at 5:01 pm said:

Love me some ZR1.

+ poweredbyzen on July 31st, 2009 at 5:11 pm said:

not a fan of racing games but this one might make we wanna try it, especially since it’s on the psp. i love my psp!

+ midnightshade on July 31st, 2009 at 5:24 pm said:

I love my psp too!! Going to be snatching this up day 1, with the GO and some AC: Bloodlines, LBP-portable, motorstorm ,FF Dissidia, Persona , and Disgaea 2 portable… Yeah My wallet will be hurting this fall and that’s only for psp… I got the ps3 to stack up on too… Ah the joys of game collecting.

Anyway this game is going to be freaking awesome. To the haters, if you don’t like portables then why did you come on the thread? Just to hate? Why would you not want a portable gt? Those screens most definatly are replay shots, but they are shrunk down so you can’t see any jaggies… PSP has better graphics then ps2 so it will look good. And the fact that only 4 cars on a track is why the cars look so good. They had a choice to either tone down the graphics and have many cars on screen or ramp up the graphics and make it look phenomenal… I am glad they chose the latter. Way to go Polophony and all the haters can gtfo!

+ Thrasher20 on July 31st, 2009 at 5:38 pm said:

Daaaaamn that looks so freeking promising!

+ SHINSPIKES on July 31st, 2009 at 6:02 pm said:

Hmm, never thought I’d see a corvette on the cover. Great car though. Better have the C6R in it as well. But, this ZR1 isn’t the “Blue Devil”. That title belongs to the Fairlady Z. The real devil, “the Devil Z”.

+ theBedBurner on July 31st, 2009 at 6:11 pm said:

Are these in-game screen shots?

+ SkyNet003 on July 31st, 2009 at 6:14 pm said:

We want to see some real PSP screenshots, please.

+ extravegant on July 31st, 2009 at 6:25 pm said:

i know this is going to be a fantastic game for the psp… but i’m still waiting for the crown jewel in GT5… can we just now if its gonna be out this year? at least that way i can buy some other racing game since theres gonna be at least 2 out this holiday season.

+ WestSiide on July 31st, 2009 at 6:36 pm said:

will purchase off the ps store!

+ D-Squad3 on July 31st, 2009 at 7:31 pm said:

GT5…where is it?

+ ZAANOS on July 31st, 2009 at 7:34 pm said:

Awesome cover guys! The car is a perfect choice! I am really looking forward to picking this up! Ignore by PlayStation brothers’ crude comments. GT on PSP is a big deal!

+ jlch777 on July 31st, 2009 at 7:48 pm said:

I ONLY WANT GT5!!!!I ONLY WANT GT5!!!!I ONLY WANT GT5!!!!I ONLY WANT GT5!!!!I ONLY WANT GT5!!!!I ONLY WANT GT5!!!!I ONLY WANT GT5!!!!I ONLY WANT GT5!!!!I ONLY WANT GT5!!!!I ONLY WANT GT5!!!!I ONLY WANT GT5!!!!I ONLY WANT GT5!!!!I ONLY WANT GT5!!!!I ONLY WANT GT5!!!!I ONLY WANT GT5!!!!I ONLY WANT GT5!!!!I ONLY WANT GT5!!!!I ONLY WANT GT5!!!!I ONLY WANT GT5!!!!I ONLY WANT GT5!!!!I ONLY WANT GT5!!!!I ONLY WANT GT5!!!!I ONLY WANT GT5!!!!I ONLY WANT GT5!!!!I ONLY WANT GT5!!!!I ONLY WANT GT5!!!!

+ MrTalKaLot03 on July 31st, 2009 at 8:11 pm said:

Look’s GreAT But they keep showing Gran Turismo PSP when is the Ps3 Gran Turismo going to come out ???

+ Ejsponge61 on July 31st, 2009 at 8:40 pm said:

now all i need to know is the price

+ TwiztedR3DHead on July 31st, 2009 at 8:48 pm said:

and thats a nice ass cover

+ x3x1x on July 31st, 2009 at 9:09 pm said:

Thanks for the shout out to Detroit, very cool!

Really looking forward to this game. Don’t think I’ve ever had a “day 1″ PSP game, but this surely will be.

+ KwietStorm on July 31st, 2009 at 9:20 pm said:

Seeing as I won’t have any use for the UMD, will there be any way to buy the digital versions of all the games coming, but still get a “copy” of the empty game cases?

+ VenomXv on July 31st, 2009 at 10:19 pm said:

that cover defines slick

+ Direxnipe on July 31st, 2009 at 10:25 pm said:

@KwietStorm
most likely. they did it with Patapon 2, im sure they’ll do it with GT PSP as well. but it will cost you a little bit more. (oh, just so you know, you buy the case with a voucher for the game in stores if you want the case)

+ BlooodyCow on July 31st, 2009 at 10:35 pm said:

@50 Folkenhellfang
To be honest, I do not know much about cars :)
And yes, I do take the bus.

+ bdgamer on July 31st, 2009 at 11:26 pm said:

Can’t wait for the game!

+ zombie_56 on July 31st, 2009 at 11:56 pm said:

THEIR is not way the psp can handle these graphics

+ KwietStorm on August 1st, 2009 at 12:13 am said:

@Direxnipe
Yea, thanks, I know about Patapon. What I wanted to know wasn’t specifically about GT though. I meant for all future PSP releases. Since they’ll still be releasing games for the fat PSP anyway, I wanted to know if I can buy the digital version(s) and still get a case somehow.

+ Mobstylez on August 1st, 2009 at 12:14 am said:

Nice!

+ Gurbachan on August 1st, 2009 at 2:29 am said:

Really awesome!!!! Amazing, wonderful.. just play it once you will really like, that’s my experience!! :)

+ Grannd on August 1st, 2009 at 3:54 am said:

Too bad I won’t get it in my hands, I’ll be downloading the game from the PSN Store on october first!

+ awsome_robot on August 1st, 2009 at 8:17 am said:

nice cover, usually gt covers are simple with very few colors or details.

+ phinnv8 on August 1st, 2009 at 9:28 am said:

Looks great but wish it was GT5 news we were hearing about. I guess that game has been forgotten.

+ laZardo on August 1st, 2009 at 9:39 am said:

You sure GM didn’t pay you guys to put the ZR1 on the cover? Because promoting their cars in this game is much-needed publicity given the hard times they’re in.

+ SpeedRacer1955 on August 1st, 2009 at 10:19 am said:

I will be getting a new PSPGo for this game and others so that it will play better. As for the game is the hood damage that was shown at E3 real car damage, for example if I bounce off a competitor in the game will it damage the fender and cause tire rub and other damage to driving characteristics or is it just for show in the video to placate those who want more realism in the game since they claim it is “The Real Driving Simulator”!

+ niall077 on August 1st, 2009 at 10:38 am said:

looks great.

should hold me over until GT5 is released around Christmas (2015)

+ VegaC18 on August 1st, 2009 at 10:47 am said:

I believe that the pictures are made with the PSP.There must be a photo mode like in GT4.It’s the only way i can see why it looks awesome for a PSP.

Ether way I’m still buying it.

+ King0fHearts2007 on August 1st, 2009 at 11:37 am said:

All this News about Gran Turismo for the PSP make’s me think that we will be getting that before GT is done for the PS3.

+ HongoXIII on August 1st, 2009 at 12:24 pm said:

Looks nice. I will probably be picking this one up. I’ve been needing a good PSP racer that I can put some time into.

+ onlineatron on August 1st, 2009 at 1:14 pm said:

Safe to assume they arn’t PSP pics.

With the countless questions asking whether they are or not I would assume if they were we would have had someone answer them bragging that they are.

+ gold5225 on August 1st, 2009 at 3:03 pm said:

I am buying this and the PSP GO! on Day one!

+ EmperorKorea on August 1st, 2009 at 3:14 pm said:

no online? why does the psp even have wifi?

+ WNDRTWN1 on August 1st, 2009 at 3:29 pm said:

Nice!!! But, what I really want to know is there gonna be a PSP Go and Gran Turismo PSP bundle that would be awesome!!!

+ Erdie on August 1st, 2009 at 4:28 pm said:

800 cars in my pocket. Can’t wait.

+ Snamaro on August 1st, 2009 at 8:36 pm said:

I WANT A BUNDLE OF PSP GO WITH Gran Turismo like with a redeem code PLEASE SONY!!

+ BSC94 on August 2nd, 2009 at 8:18 am said:

nice cover for the game. :)

+ Chrysus on August 2nd, 2009 at 9:47 am said:

Please tell me that this is only the US cover of the game… I smell sponsorship money.

+ ADR143 on August 2nd, 2009 at 10:22 am said:

me want grand turismo 5

+ sscoolChea on August 2nd, 2009 at 11:05 am said:

@ everyone who has a problem with GT coming to the psp .

Why should you care ? GT5 is coming to the ps3 so why not let people who also has a psp play it while there taking a dump. Just be happy fools that were GT games finally….

+ Feisar on August 2nd, 2009 at 5:24 pm said:

Stephanie Yoshimoto definitely sounds mega-hot.

+ Roguejedi5 on August 2nd, 2009 at 7:04 pm said:

Since this is the cover for the u.s. release, will the european one be different? Or for that matter any other country?

+ steve86uk on August 3rd, 2009 at 2:24 am said:

With this and Forza 3 I will be getting my fix big time in October with racing/driving simulators.

+ razairc on August 3rd, 2009 at 6:08 am said:

yo im a very big fan of gran turismo i have every gran turismo existing from the first to the last and i cant wait to play gran turismo on my psp