Farpoint

Aug 04

Aug 04

Military Madness: Nectaris Coming to PSN

Kyle Vincent Tunison's Avatar Posted by Designer, Backbone Entertainment

Hello, Playstation Blog!

I am extremely excited to be here today to re-announce Military Madness: Nectaris to the world! I say “re-announce” because the game was first brought to the public eye several months ago, but at the time, the game could only be talked about in terms of bullet points. Now, I’m the lucky guy that gets to blow the lid off of the latest incarnation of the greatest turn-based strategy franchise of all time.

Military Madness 1

Believe it or not, the original Military Madness (called Nectaris in Japan) was released all the way back in 1989 for a magical little system called the TurboGrafx-16. While the system wasn’t all that successful, the game itself became a cult hit. Why? Not only did it introduce gamers in the States to the exciting turn-based strategy genre… but it was both really fun and really deep (and thus ends our three sentence history lesson).

As mentioned above, Military Madness is a turn-based strategy game. This means you and your opponent(s) take turns moving your squads around the battlefield and having them attack each other. There are over 20 different types of units that can make up your squads, each with their own unique advantages and disadvantages. Also, there are over a half-dozen different terrain types, which can drastically alter a squad’s defensive properties and mobility. So, knowing the terrain is just as important as knowing your troops.

In Military Madness, there is no economic system. No money. No unit production. You can capture factories to steal squads and use those same factories to repair damaged squads, but should a squad be completely destroyed… it’s gone for good. Military Madness isn’t about resource management. It’s about tactics. It’s about decisive military action. It’s about making smart decisions and punishing your opponent for making careless ones.

Military Madness 2

Another thing Military Madness: Nectaris is all about: value! We’ve got tons of content that should keep you busy for dozens of hours. In fact, it’s like you get two games worth of content in one!

First off: the single player experience. The game comes with all 32 classic missions from the original TurboGrafx-16 version of the game (that’s 16 missions for the normal campaign and another 16 for the advanced campaign). The single player component of the game is essentially a remake of the spectacular original game. Of course, we’ve got the prerequisite spiffy new graphics and built-from-the-ground-up AI. While the first missions will go quickly, I feel comfortable saying that you can expect to spend 20 to 30 hours in the single player campaign alone.

And then there’s the multiplayer! I wish I could go into more detail about this here… but there’s just no room (in this post, anyway). For now, you’ll have to settle for a quick overview. We support (deep breath): online and local play (where players can share a single controller or use separate controllers) for up to four players!; 10 original multiplayer maps, designed specifically for either 2, 3, or 4 players; AI-controlled opponents; scoreboard matches with competitive settings; 10 Vehicle Upgrades and 10 Support Abilities for the brand-new and highly versatile Commander squad; free-for-alls and team games; and all the other bells and whistles you’d expect from a modern online game (voice chat, invites, etc.). Even after putting well over 100 hours into the multiplayer game, I’m still having tons of fun with it and I can’t wait to test my skills online against all of you!

Finally, we’ve got the most comprehensive manual you’ll find on a downloadable title that will help you understand all the ins and outs of the game. And, of course, trophies (yay)!

Military Madness 3

While I’ve covered a lot of ground here, there’s plenty more to talk about. But I want to make sure I’m talking about what you want to hear! Leave your questions in the comment section! Next post, ever-lovable Jeff Rubenstein will be asking me your questions over the wondrous Playstation Eye… and I’ll be on the other end answering them.

Hasta la vista, dear readers…

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

darkwing75 said:

August 4th, 9:03 am

wow used to play Nectaris, day 1!

ADR143 said:

August 4th, 9:08 am

man it looks good cant w8 for the playstation eye interview.

does this game have online?

Kyle Vincent Tunison's Avatar

ktunison said:

August 4th, 11:06 am

We sure do!

zombie_56 said:

August 4th, 9:10 am

looks good

NJz-Greatest-420 said:

August 4th, 9:11 am

yea looks pretty fun

Malicious_Wolf said:

August 4th, 9:13 am

Yes it has online, didn’t you read the post?

Craazy said:

August 4th, 9:16 am

Release date? or rough estimate possibly?

Kyle Vincent Tunison's Avatar

ktunison said:

August 4th, 1:44 pm

Summer 09 is as specific as I can get at the moment… but we\’re in the home stretch!

ZAANOS said:

August 4th, 9:19 am

Very nice guys thanks for bringing this to the PS3 I look forward to playing it.

Will the game support PS Eye for multiplayer games? Will you guys have unlockable items for PlayStation Home? Will it support custom soundtracks? Will it have a replay feature and YouTube Upload?

Kyle Vincent Tunison's Avatar

ktunison said:

August 4th, 1:42 pm

Unfortunately, we are not supporting these features. These things would all be really cool to support, but we wanted to put our focus elsewhere (like smooth online play, voice chat, etc.).

gswaan said:

August 4th, 9:22 am

I still have the card for this game, which i can play on my turbo express.

Hellman said:

August 4th, 9:23 am

Looks good any time line when this is going to be released?

adolson said:

August 4th, 9:23 am

Hudson are my freaking heroes, seriously.

I’ve been wanting this since before it was even announced.

PLEASE consider bringing Star Soldier to PS3 and PSP! Please! I’ll even take the TG-16 releases of the Soldier games and my all-time favorite VSS, Blazing Lazers!

Please.

I love you.

Also, please revive Neutopia on the PS3 – we could use a good Zelda competitor!

BlooodyCow said:

August 4th, 9:29 am

“As mentioned above, Military Madness is a turn-based strategy game”
Stop reading right there :(
I hate RTS, but I love classic remakes of games I never got a chance to played or games I loved as a child.

calibus2000 said:

August 4th, 9:34 am

Never played this before but i do enjoy a good strategy game. Would have been nice if you included a small video of the game in action. Will there be demo available when released? No demo, no sale!

Kyle Vincent Tunison's Avatar

ktunison said:

August 4th, 11:13 am

If you give a click on the first link in the blog entry above, it will take you right to the game\’s website where you can view a trailer for the game (including plenty of gameplay footage)! Enjoy!

Kyle Vincent Tunison's Avatar

ktunison said:

August 4th, 1:54 pm

Absolutely! There will be a demo that will come out around the time of the game\’s release. If you have any doubts, try before you buy (but be warned, you\’ll probably end up buying)!

Aggie_CEO said:

August 4th, 9:34 am

o_O

adolson said:

August 4th, 9:37 am

@11 – read again – TBS is not the same as RTS…

Enforcer_X said:

August 4th, 9:39 am

@2 ADR143
Can you read?
Please re-read the post in its entirety this time.

@11 BlooodyCow
It’s not an RTS it is turned based.
Do you even know what RTS stands for? Real Time Strategy. This is clearly not an RTS now is it?

I will check this out looks pretty cool!
Thanks for the update and info for those of us that can and do read.

Daniel_Gonzz said:

August 4th, 9:39 am

Looks awesome!

Is this coming out this week?

Jon_Mclane said:

August 4th, 9:41 am

I loved the Turbografx 16 and military madness was one of my favorites but backbone broke my heart with Gunstar heroes already.

I guess my question would be if they’ve learned from Gunstar Heroes and will make sure the online works this time.

Kyle Vincent Tunison's Avatar

ktunison said:

August 4th, 11:15 am

After you play your first match online, I have no doubt your heart will be mended!

BlooodyCow said:

August 4th, 9:45 am

@14 adolson
@15 Enforcer_X

Sorry about that, I forgot to add TBS also. I just hate strategy games in general

Gorvi said:

August 4th, 9:45 am

Any price/date info yet? I’ve never played the original but have heard great things, I look forward to hearing more on this.

Zezzler said:

August 4th, 9:50 am

Will there be any local multiplayer via Split-screen (using multiple controllers)?

Kyle Vincent Tunison's Avatar

ktunison said:

August 4th, 11:19 am

You can play a 4 player game with one controller (if you don\’t mind passing) or four (if your friends don\’t wash their hands)! The choice is yours!

redknight4 said:

August 4th, 9:53 am

is there going to be a playable demo available at the time of release or prior to release of the game on psn.

NeCrom-X said:

August 4th, 9:55 am

Wasn’t this on 3DO also cause I think I have it for that. I’ll have to dig it out of the closet and see.

Neil said:

August 4th, 9:58 am

Is the original Turbografx-16 game included or are the original maps just remade?

hife said:

August 4th, 9:59 am

Neato. Will keep my eye on it.

reson8er said:

August 4th, 10:00 am

As an owner of the original (bought when released no less) turbo chip version, I can say that this is truly a great game. I spent many an hour trying to beat the last stage. And boy when I did, it was a feeling of accomplishment I rarley feel when beating a game now a day.

I also tried the PlayStation(1) version, and found it lacking.

So my question is this: Is Backbone trying to recreate the feeling of the original game (w/enhancements) or the newer of the 2?

Thanks and looking forward to hearing more.

Spectreman78 said:

August 4th, 10:21 am

* Military Madness is pure strategy. It is a great game and I´m happy that are now in PSN.

SteveO1683 said:

August 4th, 10:31 am

Sweet. All this talk about turn-based strategy makes me wish you guys would release the PSOne classic X-Com!

Chipper said:

August 4th, 10:34 am

I missed the Military Madness games. I was more of a Battle Isle and History-line: 1914-1918 player. either way I do love these types of games. I just wish I still had my friend from back then. We use to play these types of games for days without sleep.

I am really looking forward to hearing more on this game.

Kyle Vincent Tunison's Avatar

ktunison said:

August 4th, 11:23 am

If you are a fan of turn-based strategy, you\’ll love MM. As a fan of the genre myself I was totally psyched to get to work on this title.

Just remember to get 4 hours of sleep for every 20 hours of gaming. :)

tobz1000 said:

August 4th, 10:36 am

PSN is beginning to make me a very poor man.

Kyle Vincent Tunison's Avatar

ktunison said:

August 4th, 11:24 am

Amen to that.

StalkingSilence said:

August 4th, 10:49 am

Hm… backbone entertainment has been in the news this week, but not for this game… Care to comment on the other one?

TheInfectedBy590 said:

August 4th, 10:51 am

Will there be a demo? :)

StalkingSilence said:

August 4th, 10:55 am

TurboGrafx-16 classic games are on the way – nice when these are re-made for the PSN so we can get trophies… but almost rather keep the originals so we can play them on PSP as well. That being said, will this game support Remote Play? Come on, it’s less than 8MB of RAM!

TwiztedR3DHead said:

August 4th, 11:03 am

it looks pretty interesting

Enforcer_X said:

August 4th, 11:06 am

@18 BlooodyCow
I like strategy games but I totally suck at them.

Korbei83 said:

August 4th, 11:09 am

Remember that demos go a long way.

NESGamepro said:

August 4th, 11:24 am

I have the original on TG16 and still works like a charm. Love this game, instant buy for me.

tosun01 said:

August 4th, 11:34 am

Looks promising. Given that I like a good turn based strategy game and I like to support indie games at psn, think I´ll give it a try!

IrishPete333 said:

August 4th, 11:37 am

Looks like this will be a very cool game! With online and local multi-player, I think this will be a day 1 purchase for me.
PSN is really starting to heat up, keep on bringing the good games to us!

Torgo said:

August 4th, 11:39 am

Can’t wait. Military Madness (Nectaris) is my favorite strategy game ever!

Thrasher20 said:

August 4th, 11:50 am

Nice. Sounds like Command & Conquer

Kyle Vincent Tunison's Avatar

ktunison said:

August 4th, 1:51 pm

Command & Conquer is an awesome series! But just to clarify: C&C is RTS (real-time strategy) and MM is TBS (turn-based strategy).

Frostquake said:

August 4th, 11:59 am

I still pop this in my Turbo Express for a run down memory lane. I hope this will be as great as the cult classic. It is looking like a day one purchase for me…Hint Hint: Make sure all those little pesky bugs are out, so no frustrations on day one buy!
Thanks for bringing back this classic!
psn:frostquake

Rakis said:

August 4th, 11:59 am

Sweet. Next on my list of wants is the TG16 games to come to the US PSN store like they did in Japan. I’d quadruple dip for this game and the Ys series.

I still occasionally play it on my aging TurboExpress – and I hope the 2nd/advanced campaign isn’t broken like in the original.

Also would be spiffy cool if my PS1 save file from Nectaris unlocked an extra…. or if the passwords for the TG16 version did something too…

How’s about a graphical update to Blazing Lazers next?

ShadowOfEden said:

August 4th, 12:02 pm

Totally awesome. I love turn based strategy games. I love them so much that when I’m not playing them (the genre doesn’t get that much attention these days), I’m working on the development of my own map editor, mainly for turn based strategy games, but really, it could be used for any games with a 1/2 view ratio of a battlefield. Announcements like this just gives me even more motivation. Worse thing is, I make games for a living, then find the time to make games in my free time.

ADR143 said:

August 4th, 12:06 pm

any speculation on how much this is and when is coming?

plaztiksyke said:

August 4th, 12:13 pm

Will there be local co-op *without* splitscreen?

Will we be getting new, but classic sounding music (a la Bionic Commando Rearmed)? 24-bit DTS music and sound effects?

The TG16 and Jaguar both has some really awesome games on them; I’m glad to see their depths being plumbed to bring high-quality versions to a new generation! (Hopefully Tempest/Space Giraffe or GridRunner make it on soon as well!)

Kyle Vincent Tunison's Avatar

ktunison said:

August 4th, 2:00 pm

Though we support up to 4-player online and off, we do not support splitscreen. Since this is turn-based strategy game, we just give the player whose turn it is control over the screen (except in online, where you can control your view even when it is not your turn).

ahngee said:

August 4th, 12:14 pm

i hope they include the original game too… it’ll bring back some fond memories.

BSC94 said:

August 4th, 1:20 pm

the game looks very fun. Is it coming to psp too?

Maitre said:

August 4th, 1:55 pm

I saw on your site that military madness was comming on xboxlive and wiiware too will it be possible to play cross platform

killall-q said:

August 4th, 2:01 pm

I like the lack of an economic system. Building tanks and giving birth to soldiers on the battlefield is so fake!

Frostquake said:

August 4th, 2:13 pm

BIG QUESTION:
Will there be continued support of this game with New Maps and Down Load Content coming for it?? Or is this just a Once Release to the Wild?
Thanks