PS3-TLOU Left Behind

Military Madness: Nectaris Coming to PSN

Kyle Vincent Tunison's Avatar + Posted by Kyle Vincent Tunison on Aug 04, 2009 // Designer, Backbone Entertainment

Hello, Playstation Blog!

I am extremely excited to be here today to re-announce Military Madness: Nectaris to the world! I say “re-announce” because the game was first brought to the public eye several months ago, but at the time, the game could only be talked about in terms of bullet points. Now, I’m the lucky guy that gets to blow the lid off of the latest incarnation of the greatest turn-based strategy franchise of all time.

Military Madness 1

Believe it or not, the original Military Madness (called Nectaris in Japan) was released all the way back in 1989 for a magical little system called the TurboGrafx-16. While the system wasn’t all that successful, the game itself became a cult hit. Why? Not only did it introduce gamers in the States to the exciting turn-based strategy genre… but it was both really fun and really deep (and thus ends our three sentence history lesson).

As mentioned above, Military Madness is a turn-based strategy game. This means you and your opponent(s) take turns moving your squads around the battlefield and having them attack each other. There are over 20 different types of units that can make up your squads, each with their own unique advantages and disadvantages. Also, there are over a half-dozen different terrain types, which can drastically alter a squad’s defensive properties and mobility. So, knowing the terrain is just as important as knowing your troops.

In Military Madness, there is no economic system. No money. No unit production. You can capture factories to steal squads and use those same factories to repair damaged squads, but should a squad be completely destroyed… it’s gone for good. Military Madness isn’t about resource management. It’s about tactics. It’s about decisive military action. It’s about making smart decisions and punishing your opponent for making careless ones.

Military Madness 2

Another thing Military Madness: Nectaris is all about: value! We’ve got tons of content that should keep you busy for dozens of hours. In fact, it’s like you get two games worth of content in one!

First off: the single player experience. The game comes with all 32 classic missions from the original TurboGrafx-16 version of the game (that’s 16 missions for the normal campaign and another 16 for the advanced campaign). The single player component of the game is essentially a remake of the spectacular original game. Of course, we’ve got the prerequisite spiffy new graphics and built-from-the-ground-up AI. While the first missions will go quickly, I feel comfortable saying that you can expect to spend 20 to 30 hours in the single player campaign alone.

And then there’s the multiplayer! I wish I could go into more detail about this here… but there’s just no room (in this post, anyway). For now, you’ll have to settle for a quick overview. We support (deep breath): online and local play (where players can share a single controller or use separate controllers) for up to four players!; 10 original multiplayer maps, designed specifically for either 2, 3, or 4 players; AI-controlled opponents; scoreboard matches with competitive settings; 10 Vehicle Upgrades and 10 Support Abilities for the brand-new and highly versatile Commander squad; free-for-alls and team games; and all the other bells and whistles you’d expect from a modern online game (voice chat, invites, etc.). Even after putting well over 100 hours into the multiplayer game, I’m still having tons of fun with it and I can’t wait to test my skills online against all of you!

Finally, we’ve got the most comprehensive manual you’ll find on a downloadable title that will help you understand all the ins and outs of the game. And, of course, trophies (yay)!

Military Madness 3

While I’ve covered a lot of ground here, there’s plenty more to talk about. But I want to make sure I’m talking about what you want to hear! Leave your questions in the comment section! Next post, ever-lovable Jeff Rubenstein will be asking me your questions over the wondrous Playstation Eye… and I’ll be on the other end answering them.

Hasta la vista, dear readers…

PAGE 1 2

+ Silent_Gig on August 4th, 2009 at 2:20 pm said:

DO WANT

+ Silent_Gig on August 4th, 2009 at 2:23 pm said:

Uk release?

+ xKOROSHIYAx on August 4th, 2009 at 3:08 pm said:

I love Military Madness, one of my favorite games of all time. If Backbone messes this up, I will never forgive you guys. Your track record this gen has been quite poor overall, I REALLY hope this is a turn for the better in the way you guys handle classic remakes.

Kyle Vincent Tunison's Avatar

+ ktunison on August 4th, 2009 at 4:08 pm said:

Our goal with MM:N was to take what fans like you loved about the original and expand on that. We wanted to add to the MM experience without taking away what made it so great in the first place.

Keep the faith, Koroshiya! When the game comes out, I think you\’ll be a Backbone believer again.

+ king_a-j on August 4th, 2009 at 3:19 pm said:

I hope there will be a MW2 demo on psn before the release!!!

+ BigBoss712 on August 4th, 2009 at 3:31 pm said:

sounds great, gameplay video soon?

+ Thrill_Kill on August 4th, 2009 at 3:50 pm said:

Its nice that more people can enjoy the great game that is Military Madness. But the one on PSOne sucked, can you guys please just give us the real deal? The one from the Turbo Grafx 16 is much more fun to play. :) And since Japan PS3 is getting PC Engine games, when are we going to see them?

+ emjayx on August 4th, 2009 at 4:07 pm said:

I don’t get why there’s not an option for either using 1 controller or 4 controller, I’m sure you can easily deactivate the other 3 controllers while another person is controlling it.

Kyle Vincent Tunison's Avatar

+ ktunison on August 4th, 2009 at 4:21 pm said:

Sorry for the confusion on this guys.

\”Controller Share\” is just an option for those who don\’t have extra controllers. Each player can use a separate controller if you want!

+ Spathis on August 4th, 2009 at 4:57 pm said:

ktunison is there mouse and keyboard support for this? You guys should put it in if you wanna attract the PC crowd for this game. Its one of the reasons Command and Conquer and End War didn’t do so well on the PS3 and Xbox. Trust me a little effort will make you alot of money.

+ Nynja on August 4th, 2009 at 5:13 pm said:

omg…. i LOVED this game back on the TurboGrafx16!!!!

YES YES YES YES!!! Gotta HAVE this.. Can’t wait for the PS3 release.

Any chance we’ll see a PSP version to? I guarantee 1 sale!!

+ midnightshade on August 4th, 2009 at 6:53 pm said:

Ah fond memories… being the only kid on my block at 12 years old in 1989/90 with a turbo-grafix-16 and a stack of futuristic hu-card credit card rom games… those things were so futuristic. I had so many and this was one of them. All my friends used to love to play it when i brought the system over…unfortunatly it got stollen. For a system that wasn’t bought much it sure turned heads..

This game was great! I am a big fan of turn based strategy (right behind rpgs in my list of genres) I was shocked to see this on here today. I didn’t think anyone would ever remake the tg-16/pc-engine games… I am glad i was wrong. Will be picking this up day 1.

Sony your console is making me broke. My wife is going to kill you…i mean me…lol..

+ KILLZONE79 on August 4th, 2009 at 7:31 pm said:

Is this full HD 1080p or 720p?

+ Soild_Nat on August 5th, 2009 at 1:59 am said:

I think this has been asked before but is this coming to Europe and the UK?

I don’t remember the original but this certainly sounds like the type of game me and some friends would love.

Although this may not have a simultaneous release worldwide please give us a hint that this is coming to Europe at some point!

+ TERWALLACE on August 5th, 2009 at 6:24 am said:

I still own this game, still play this game, still love this game. And when this comes out, I will own it all over again! Thanks!

Also, will unit balance stay the same? Or will there be some tweaks?

+ hxa155 on August 5th, 2009 at 7:46 am said:

It looks very interesting. I might give it a try.

+ afdgsfdgnb on August 5th, 2009 at 9:35 am said:

When it comes on a disc, I’ll consider buying it. Not before then.

+ breadeater on August 5th, 2009 at 4:48 pm said:

Huge Nectaris/Military Madness fan, and although the first game is my fav, I REALLY want to see Neo Nectaris get a remake/re-release as well! Many updates were made in Neo Nectaris over the original! :D

+ armybob on August 5th, 2009 at 7:02 pm said:

As a huge fan of the original will there be an option for the original music? I’m assuming not but that would be awesome! The music brings back so many memories.

Thanks

+ breadeater on August 5th, 2009 at 8:48 pm said:

Oh yah, and while you’re at it, bring that Android version over to iPhone already! ;)

+ redi2play on August 6th, 2009 at 1:12 am said:

Thanks for bringing backing what is my favorite TG16 game of all time! I can’t wait!

+ parallaxing on August 6th, 2009 at 5:22 pm said:

I’ve played almost every version of Military Madness for every platform its been released on.

One of my favorites is Neo Nectaris for the PC-Engine Super CD-ROM² (or Turbo Duo) format, released in 1994. It’s a true sequel to the original. Neo Nectaris was recently modified and released as Military Madness 2 for Verizon cellphones!

I also recommend checking out the freeware Win95 port of the original Nectaris. It’s got mouse support and much better audio than the original game on PC-Engine/TurboGrafx-16/Wii VC. Download it here http://nfggames.com/games/nectaris/Nectaris_Win95.rar

Anyway, I can’t wait to play the new remake this year.

+ HawkEyes1 on August 9th, 2009 at 4:14 am said:

Nice I hope we get what Asia has! Finally!! Sweet but Wheres Y’s Book 1-2 along with Devils Crush! these games are very hard to find now..I should know because I have them put away! there OOP..

+ CMEFADE on August 19th, 2009 at 12:10 pm said:

It’s sad, but I still play this game from time to time. I can’t wait until this game is released. I think it is the best turn base stategy game of all time!

+ spronin on August 25th, 2009 at 11:44 pm said:

Kyle, I need to know. One of the best things I loved about the TG16 original was the AI. Since its said to have been built from the ground up, has it changed? Is the game too easy now? Are there difficulty settings that actually change how the AI thinks or just changes a luck factor?

Kyle Vincent Tunison's Avatar

+ Kyle Vincent Tunison on August 27th, 2009 at 11:27 am said:

Hey… since you need to know, spronin, I need to tell. :)

Because the AI is built from the ground up, it is going to be different from the original. Some aspects will make it more difficult, but those will be balanced by aspects that will make it easier as well.

It\’s harder because we have removed many (if not all) of the AI exploits that were present in the original game. It\’s easier because the combat outcomes have been tweaked to ensure that smart decisions are much more likely yield favorable results (so losing because of a \”bad roll\” is far less likely). Also, you can save at any time during a mission, which makes it a bit more forgiving.

You can\’t pick different AI levels for the campaign (as in the original), but against bots in the multiplayer levels, you can. Harder AIs are smarter, there is no modification to the \”luck factor\” on different difficulties.

Also, just like in the original, I think you will find the best opponent to be another human player. I hope this answers your question!

PAGE 1 2