PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

PlayStation Eye Chat: Critter Crunch for PSN

Chris Morell's Avatar + Posted by Chris Morell on Aug 05, 2009 // Senior Social Media Specialist

When you last saw Critter Crunch, it was probably at E3 when Capybara‘s Nathan Vella walked us through the game’s basics on the show floor.

Well Nathan is back, along with fellow Capy compadre Kris Piotrowski, to talk much more in-depth about Critter Crunch. Specifically, the duo describes the puzzle game’s versus /co-op modes and their power-ups, how the foodchain mechanic works and the robust single-player adventure more. Plus, there’s nice chunk of in-game footage included in the video.

And yes, there’s plenty more barf, too. Strategic, rainbow-colored barf, if you will.

PAGE 1 2

+ Thrasher20 on August 5th, 2009 at 11:58 am said:

Nice to see that you are doing more of these interviews Chris :). Who knows you might outdo Jeff Rubenstein! LOL. Thanks you Chris, you the man! Will look more into this game

+ Chris Morell on August 5th, 2009 at 12:03 pm said:

Shhhh! Jeff hears all!!! No seriously, thank you…

+ soulrend on August 5th, 2009 at 12:01 pm said:

Cool! Hope to see this, and Crystal Defenders soon!

+ Fnook on August 5th, 2009 at 12:01 pm said:

Can’t wait for this.. It looks ultra FUN!. ^_^

+ ghamdikh1 on August 5th, 2009 at 12:04 pm said:

@Nathan Vella

Read this OFFER AND gave me your opinion:

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/26/gdc09-sony-encourages-ps n-exclusivity-with-pub-fund/

or this

if you interested why not give it a try.

+ Nathan Vella on August 5th, 2009 at 12:39 pm said:

Ok ghamdikh1, here is my opinion:

Sony should be commended for creating something like the Pub Fund. While we didn\’t use it for Critter Crunch, it\’s still very much on our (and many other independent developers\’) radar.

In short, Pub Fund is great!

+ Shin-Ra on August 5th, 2009 at 12:08 pm said:

I bought the iPhone version and the only thing I really don’t like is the less than fully responsive controls so this with dpad control and all the new content announced will do very nicely. :)

+ Kris Piotrowski on August 5th, 2009 at 12:13 pm said:

Hey Shin-Ra, don\’t worry; The d-pad has transformed Biggs into super ultra responsive critter slaying machine. Touch controls can get a bit… iffy, especially when you start to break a sweat.

+ guitain on August 5th, 2009 at 12:09 pm said:

What an awesome way to make interviews!
It really makes me want an Eye xO

This game looks really fun, and the rainbow barf is really hilarious!
The iPhone/iPod Touch-game is really great, and this looks to be so much better! I can not wait!

One question: Multiplayer(Co-Op and 1-on-1)… Is that on- and offline?

+ Kris Piotrowski on August 5th, 2009 at 12:14 pm said:

Hey guitan, multiplayer is both on and offline.

Doing this interview was weird and fun. Technology is wonderful.

+ starBlinky01 on August 5th, 2009 at 12:09 pm said:

bought this for iPhone and beat it and loved it and still play it, this might be one of the best games of 2009. And I am talking about the iPhone version. I am buying this day one no matter what.

When I saw this video on the blog this morning I screamed!! I might be the biggest fan of this game ever, I swear to god I am more excited for this game then anyone!!!

+ Kris Piotrowski on August 5th, 2009 at 12:16 pm said:

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We\’re also pretty excited.

+ Shin-Ra on August 5th, 2009 at 12:09 pm said:

Is that a blow up doll behind the chair in the background?! :x

+ Kris Piotrowski on August 5th, 2009 at 12:17 pm said:

Ummm… That\’s our mascot, Hank Hudson…

+ zombie_56 on August 5th, 2009 at 12:12 pm said:

yo lol theirs a blow up doll in the background lol

+ Ejsponge61 on August 5th, 2009 at 12:15 pm said:

I love these interviews, but why is the menu bar at the bottom every time? But any way, I’ll definitely be getting that demo and, if I like it enough, get the game.

+ starBlinky01 on August 5th, 2009 at 12:16 pm said:

@5 really? I thought the iPhone controls worked perfectly. In my opinion I think its the best controlled iPhone game out there.

Btw I wonder if the barf mechanic was inspired by two girls one cup?

+ skynidas on August 5th, 2009 at 12:17 pm said:

This game looks really fun, when is coming out?

+ thegamer154 on August 5th, 2009 at 12:20 pm said:

Come on! Just release the game already. Well, not really, keep working on it and make it great. Though is there offline multiplayer? They did say split screen though that does not mean offline multiplayer. Oh wells, really looking forward to it and most likely going to buy this game too. Thanks a lot!

+ Kris Piotrowski on August 5th, 2009 at 12:31 pm said:

hey hey, just to mention again: Multilayer can be enjoyed both online and offline via friend on your couch.

About the release date: AS SOON AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE:) For real. Right now we\’re doing things like:
    -increasing fun
    -adding additional colored pixels
    -cranking up the wow

+ Shin-Ra on August 5th, 2009 at 12:21 pm said:

Cutscenes, adventure map and demo – nice.

+ Neil on August 5th, 2009 at 12:22 pm said:

When I hover my cursor over the currently playing video, the video stops.

+ marcelino18 on August 5th, 2009 at 12:27 pm said:

is ps3 better than exbox360?

+ marcelino18 on August 5th, 2009 at 12:33 pm said:

hellow

+ Incubuster on August 5th, 2009 at 12:33 pm said:

I’d love to be playing this …. like right now.

+ dreu81 on August 5th, 2009 at 12:36 pm said:

Ooh make sure to add as many additional colored pixels as possible. i have a big tv. and if you could jazz it up a bit too, that’d be great. just make sure it pops!

+ Shin-Ra on August 5th, 2009 at 12:39 pm said:

Can you store multiple power-ups for later use or does the latest one overwrite the one you had? If you can store many, is there a different button for each powerup or do you cycle through?

+ Onna76_NL on August 5th, 2009 at 12:40 pm said:

Speaking of PS Eye, why aren’t there more PS Eye games coming to the PSN / PS3? Eye Pet is coming but then what? In the beginning there were several PS Eye games coming to the PSN to promote the PS Eye but since then my PS Eye is collecting dust which is really unfortunate. Next year of course we’ll be getting the Motion Wand, but it’ll be fun to have more game specifically meant for the PS Eye only, like on the PS2.

@8 ROTFLOMA _O_ Classic!

I really looking forward to this game, its always exciting to see new games in the PSN store :-)

+ deafwing on August 5th, 2009 at 12:40 pm said:

ya delete my comment … thnks .. makes the rubber guy in the bg even more suspect :p but ya … this game was ace at e3 and I’m looking forward to it.

+ acerazer1 on August 5th, 2009 at 12:41 pm said:

If you release this while I still have $10 on my wallet, I will buy it.

+ zombie_56 on August 5th, 2009 at 12:46 pm said:

contact interactions studios i need a new chicken invaders for psn

+ whiskey_14 on August 5th, 2009 at 12:46 pm said:

online is a selling point, you guys are smart! also it’s always nice to see devs replying to the peeps on here

can we play our own music?

+ caffeinatedkid on August 5th, 2009 at 12:49 pm said:

Is that a graph comparing $$ and problems in the background?

+ Kris Piotrowski on August 5th, 2009 at 2:12 pm said:

Yes it is. There are 3 more secrets in the background…

+ drdre74 on August 5th, 2009 at 12:49 pm said:

is there anyway we can get a 3D critter that goes on your Home space avatars head like a hat lol! I own the iphone game and loved it. Very addictive even though I suck at the Time levels. Can’t wait for this to drop.

+ Kris Piotrowski on August 5th, 2009 at 12:51 pm said:

Haha, great idea! We\’d love to do some stuff for Home, we\’re just not sure what yet. But yeah, perhaps? Maybe? Hopefully?

+ luizcab on August 5th, 2009 at 12:53 pm said:

I never get tired of repeating… these PSEye interviews are the best idea you guys had lately!!

Please, keep them coming and as a plus pick a user from time to time to join the interview and throw one or two questions. More that that would be overkill!

+ Kris Piotrowski on August 5th, 2009 at 12:58 pm said:

If this happens, I nominate marcelino18. He has a question I think he really wants to ask us:)

+ Jon_Mclane on August 5th, 2009 at 12:58 pm said:

Maybe Jeff could pick up some parenting tips from this game for his new born

+ Gr00v3r06 on August 5th, 2009 at 1:00 pm said:

I really like the eye video chat interviews. Way to continue to use the technology.

Also great looking game. I really am looking forward to this one. It really seems a lot of care goes into this. Please make it feature complete with Home game launching and in custom soundtrack support.

+ WantAPopsicle on August 5th, 2009 at 1:00 pm said:

Is that rock band in the background?
Anyways good looking game.

+ dehumanizer_666 on August 5th, 2009 at 1:00 pm said:

Man i can’t want to get my hands on this game, hopefully it’ll be released VERY soon cause i can’t wait any longer!!

+ Capt-Fury- on August 5th, 2009 at 1:03 pm said:

the real question is…where is my Biggs avatar ;)

+ Nathan Vella on August 5th, 2009 at 1:13 pm said:

Avatars and other fun things will hopefully be ready shortly for your consumption.

+ drdre74 on August 5th, 2009 at 1:07 pm said:

Who would win in a fight between Bigs and Sackboy? lol LBP Critter Crunch levels! Make it happen.

+ starBlinky01 on August 5th, 2009 at 1:08 pm said:

Coop actually looks really fun! I was skeptical, but yeah it looks cool. Btw can you pass through the other character when playing coop? Or is each player like a wall for the other player?

Also when are you going to be sending me the game so I can beta test for you?

+ Nathan Vella on August 5th, 2009 at 1:17 pm said:

Biggs & Smalls can pass through each other freely (because they are family), so you\’re not at all limited in movement.

+ drdre74 on August 5th, 2009 at 1:08 pm said:

Meant to ask before but after the games release anyway you’ll be going back in and updating the Iphone version with some of the things that are in this new PS3 version and also does the game work with remote play on the PSP?

+ xaos on August 5th, 2009 at 1:12 pm said:

I think that the key question raised by this is why is there a plastic blow-up guy behind them? Unheralded member of the dev team or something more sordid?

+ Nathan Vella on August 5th, 2009 at 1:29 pm said:

As Kris mentioned above, that is our mascot Hank Hudson… who also stars in Critter Crunch (you can see him in the clips of the cutscene).

He has a very, very powerful mustache.

+ Kris Piotrowski on August 5th, 2009 at 1:47 pm said:

He has been with us since day one. He\’s the best!

+ Neverendin on August 5th, 2009 at 1:14 pm said:

Critter Crunch needs to evolve with an expansion that would make the game similar to Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure. Who wouldn’t want to play through a platformer where you take control of Biggs?

This game isn’t even out yet and I’m thinking about an expansion! Regardless, day one.

+ jasondorsey2001 on August 5th, 2009 at 1:16 pm said:

I’m happy to hear this. Say would it be possible to put it out for psp?

+ StalkingSilence on August 5th, 2009 at 1:18 pm said:

Nice job “directing” the PSeye video, Chris. I liked seeing the change of camera view. oh, uh, cool game too!

+ xI-Red-Ix on August 5th, 2009 at 1:21 pm said:

@29

ME!!!

oh wait you mean that RRoDBOX?

no thanks

BTW critter crunch looks good, will check it out

+ BlooodyCow on August 5th, 2009 at 1:22 pm said:

does this game have in-game music? If not, make it happen.

This has to be the weirdest game I ever seen in my 15 years of gaming. Will be getting it alone on that factor.

+ Kris Piotrowski on August 5th, 2009 at 1:53 pm said:

There\’s something that happens at the end that is… umm… also weird.

+ DryvBy on August 5th, 2009 at 1:31 pm said:

Is there a way to get my PS Eye to be that clear and non-blocky?

+ DTXSFC on August 5th, 2009 at 1:35 pm said:

Barf up! Will we get trophies and DLC for this? Will there be a barf off challenge?

+ Nathan Vella on August 5th, 2009 at 1:42 pm said:

You\’ll definitely be getting Trophies, and we are really hoping to do some awesome DLC.

There is a (rather difficult) Trophy focusing on barfing…

+ KidCommando on August 5th, 2009 at 1:37 pm said:

@23

I think Sony is focusing on the motion wands for use with the PSEye. The games that were released for the Eye when it first came out were limited. They could have spend more money on making games only for the Eye, or they could take that money along with a little more time and focus on the wand/Eye combo.

The Eye worked decent at launch, but the wands will perfect the possibilities. Think of the Eye and Eye games as market research with the final product utilizing the wands. Trust me, you will be happy to have your Eye and dusting that thing off in the future because it will be used.

I’m sold, looking forward to the technicolor barf!

+ piro_z on August 5th, 2009 at 1:43 pm said:

awesome I didn’t know this was on I pod I’m gonna download the lite version and try it out =D

+ BlizzleJazzle on August 5th, 2009 at 1:51 pm said:

That puke looks more delicious than any puke I have ever seen! Seriously! And that man in the background is soooo handsome, like a movie star!!

+ kassatsu on August 5th, 2009 at 1:55 pm said:

Kris, your name is pretty awesome, but we all know “Chris” is much cooler.

- A Chris

+ Nathan Vella on August 5th, 2009 at 2:00 pm said:

hey kassatsu… we are talking here and on gaf at the same time. What a wonderful world of technology we live in.

+ mightyplay on August 5th, 2009 at 2:01 pm said:

i really like this new format for these videos

PAGE 1 2