Final Fantasy XV

Aug 13

Aug 13

Smash Cars Coming to PSN August 20th!

Scott Hyman's Avatar Posted by VP of Publishing, Creat Studios

We’ve been teasing you about this for a while now. But we’re good at it, and we can’t help ourselves. Now you can relax… the teasing is finally over.

The response from the Game Developers Conference in March was great. The E3 reactions were even greater. And, finally, coming to PlayStation Network on August 20th, it’s SMASH CARS from TikGames / Creat Studios!

So, just what is Smash Cars? Why, it’s is our tricked-out single or multiplayer online RC toy car racing game. With real-time physics simulation and vehicle customization, players can twist and turn, grind and gear up, perform aerial tricks and stunts while racking up points as they knock friends off the track and race to the finish.

Everyone can download all the high-end action and six-player online multiplayer competition starting Thursday, August 20th for $14.99. TikGames and Creat Studios are very excited about this launch, ‘cause we know you will have a blast playing Smash Cars.

Now, I know what you’re thinking. A great action racing game at a great price might be cool, but… what about trophies? What about downloadable extras? What about a contest to win a convertible sports car? Here’s the deal:

• Trophies, trophies and more trophies. Rack ‘em up and brag to your friends.
  • Downloadable content is being discussed. Stay tuned to this here space.
  • Oh, please! We’re not giving you a car. We’ve already worked hard on a great game… sheesh!

Thanks so much to our fans for your support. We really appreciate all the kind words and helpful suggestions. Please share your thoughts about Smash Cars. We just know you’re gonna love it.

Add Your Own

TRIX_BOL said:

August 13th, 11:36 am

Just one question though for you Scott. Is the Sixaxis motion going to have any use in Smash Cars?

ghamdikh1 said:

August 13th, 11:36 am

@Scott Hyman

Read this OFFER AND gave me your opinion:

or this

or this

if you interested(Creat Studios) why not give it a try.

Patriotbball5460 said:

August 13th, 11:37 am

how many tracks are there in the game, also how many different cars/schemes are there?

August 13th, 11:41 am

The game takes place on one island with a variety of tracks, both on-road and off-road. There are dozens of track and race variations.

Jon_Mclane said:

August 13th, 11:37 am

why are you making new posts instead of replying to people? PS Blog n00b?

August 13th, 11:40 am

So, does this mean I now have to get trapped with you in Nakatomi Plaza, and spen Christmas away from my ex-wife, McLane?

radman123 said:

August 13th, 11:37 am

looks too expensive and why cant all games put split screen and online its so stupid. maybe a demo will change me

DANO69 said:

August 13th, 11:37 am

Look’s like hybrid of motorstorm and burnout paradise’s “MINI’S”….Witch is a good thing.

August 13th, 11:42 am

We like to think of our game as a little slice o\’ originality. But, to be compared to great games like that is quite a compliment. And we\’ll take it!

TwiztedR3DHead said:

August 13th, 11:38 am

WOOO thay looks like alot of fun just hope it wont take modnation racers over or somthing like that

Jack-Bauer-89 said:

August 13th, 11:39 am

Got the video working on Google chrome!

Consider this bought :D

August 13th, 11:43 am

Sa-weet! Consider yourself a fine, upstanding gentleman.

tagout said:

August 13th, 11:39 am

A combination of MotorStorm and Pure, huh? Not bad, but I only have $9.99 left on my wallet lol

August 13th, 11:44 am

But just think of all the action and excitement to come your way for five more dollars. Worth every penny, and then some. Especially when you can keep pushing other players off the edge!

poodude said:

August 13th, 11:40 am

Aren’t you the same guys that did Magic Ball? If so, I can’t wait for this!

August 13th, 11:46 am

Indeed we are. And Cuboid. And Mahjong Tales. And soon… Digger HD, Mushroom Wars and more! We loves us some PSN, and we really loves us some PSN gamers.

Jon_Mclane said:

August 13th, 11:43 am

Wanna stay alive, stay with me

August 13th, 11:45 am

Yippee ki-yay… whoops, this is a family blog!

cleversignin said:

August 13th, 11:44 am

please say online multiplayer (after college my gaming friends no longer live in the same state).

August 13th, 11:46 am

Online multiplayer. Online multiplayer. Online multiplayer. Online multiplayer. Online multiplayer. Online multiplayer. How about six player online multiplayer. Will that do?

Link01 said:

August 13th, 11:44 am

Yea, reminds me of Motorstorm… seems hi in price… don’t let MvC2 price get to you developer’s head now.

August 13th, 11:48 am

Nothing gets to our heads. We are as humble as it gets, and very, very appreciative of all of our fans.

cleversignin said:

August 13th, 11:46 am

*reads the article instead of just watching video* okay, never mind. I am sold.

August 13th, 11:47 am

Now THAT is what I am TALKIN\’ about. How cool is that video, eh? We\’re just honored that you like our efforts. We spend a lot of sleepless nights working away to make sure that you can have fun.

Mancubus77 said:

August 13th, 11:46 am

Awesome. A slightly overhauled mediocre PS2-game for 15 bucks. This is such a good deal.

August 13th, 11:50 am

I guarantee you that this is far, far from \”slightly overhauled\”. It\’s a very different and very fun game. But do as you will… we won\’t mind *sniff*.. go ahead and taunt away *sob*

hife said:

August 13th, 11:48 am

Will you reply to my comment too? (I’ve never seen so many replies!)

Anyway, looks like Excite Trucks HD! Awesome.

August 13th, 11:51 am

You know it! Here\’s your reply.

Seriously, we make an effort to participate in these blogs because we really value our customers. Creat and Tik are very devoted to PlayStation Network and we can\’t do what we do without you.

KosmoCrisis said:

August 13th, 11:48 am

I’d have to agree with anyone that said $14.99 is too much. $9.99 is about as much as I can afford, and there must be a demo if I’ve not heard about the game that much, at the very least.

For $14.99, it should support not only Trophies, also YouTube recording, messaging, tournaments, joining friends in-game, XMB music, A/V support for online play like Zen Pinball, and any other features the PS3 has that I’ve missed.

Moosehole said:

August 13th, 11:49 am

Thanks for giving the date AND price… a lot of people come here and forget to do that. Doesn’t make sense… if you want us to buy your game you might want to tell us how and when to get it lol.

Anyway, I have the utmost respect for both TikGames / Creat Studios you guys make excellent PSN games and I can’t wait to check this out next week. Keep ’em comin’!

August 13th, 11:52 am

The respect is mutual. And more is a-comin\’. Stay tuned.

Rylone1 said:

August 13th, 11:49 am

This looks so great! The flips and drifting really got to me.

August 13th, 11:53 am

If you like the flips, wait until you find some of the cool spots where you can get really airborne- as in see half the island airborne!

KamikazeBingo said:

August 13th, 11:50 am

You guys are gonna take all my money.

I’ve bought Mahjong, Cuboid, and Magic Ball, and will definitely get Digger HD and now Smash Cars as soon as they come out.

Haven’t heard, read, or seen anything on Mushroom Wars though, must have missed that somehow.

August 13th, 11:55 am

All your money? Well, please make the checks out to Scott Hyman…

More information about Mushroom Wars is coming. Think of it as if Miyazaki made a casual RTS…

Jim777 said:

August 13th, 11:53 am

Will we see any Home content, maybe launching ;)

also very cool to see you getting back to so many people on the blog :D

August 13th, 11:56 am

Thanks, Jim. As I mentioned above, we like to be accessible. PSN is imoprtant to us. Nothing for Home just yet, but there\’s a lot of discussion about it at Creat.

Das_Pike said:

August 13th, 11:55 am

UPDATE THE AVATARS!!!!!

daniel1908 said:

August 13th, 11:55 am

I love this game. Been playing it since PS2 Glory Days. Definitely going to get this next week Thursday, no questions asked!!! I do want to know one thing, does it have split screen multiplayer, and if so up to how many players? Great work Dev. Team of Smash Cars!!!!!!

August 13th, 11:57 am

Sorry, Daniel, no split screen. But the online multiplayer does support up to six players.

Korbei83 said:

August 13th, 11:58 am

A diminutive Pacific Rift on crack.

zooyork198 said:

August 13th, 11:58 am

I’m srry but i’m jus gunna wait 4 modnation racers.
I wud probably buy it if it were cheaper. Y is evry PSN title $15 now? It used 2 be $5-$10 with sum $15 titles here & there, but now they are all $15 :'(

ghamdikh1 said:

August 13th, 11:58 am

@Scott Hyman

CHECK comment NO:52

BG808s said:

August 13th, 11:58 am

Hm this looks like a poor mans Motorstorm, only you can get the full retail version of Motorstorm for just $3 more on Amazon, so…

PSN-God said:

August 13th, 11:59 am

$9,99 is usually for off-line PSN games, $14,99 is for on-line PSN games.

Guys! The servers these developers are putting together will cost them money, so they have to charge a little more for that.

I think people REALLY need to realize this.

cleversignin said:

August 13th, 11:59 am

I am liking the devs being so into interacting with us, even those of us that gripe about the price of a PSN game.
I know Titan has earned healthy respect by being so active on the boards and giving honest answers about glitches and issues w/ Fat Princess. I hope Tik will follow suit.

August 13th, 12:01 pm

Creat and Tik arevery committed to PSN, and we do everything we can to be as forthcoming as possible. Everyone is allowed to gripe. That\’s what the interenet is for! ;-) We\’ll keep working hard to make the best games we can for the best price.

KosmoCrisis said:

August 13th, 11:59 am

Home content would be cool too. Is there a campaign or single player element worth playing? Whose controlling the RC cars? Does that girl end up going to the hospital and if so, does she charge your insurance company? Can I upgrade my RC car insurance so I’m prepared? Do you have to maintain your cars between races (oil, fuel, air pressure)? I need to know!

August 13th, 12:03 pm

There is a single player element that allows you to unlock various chassis, bodies and customizations, as well as new tracks and lots and lots of Trophies. As for the girl, I have no idea about her insurance and I wouldn\’t dare ask her given the situation in D.C. right now.

Thrasher20 said:

August 13th, 11:59 am

Looks very good. Reminds me of a remote control version of MotorStorm

DANO69 said:

August 13th, 12:00 pm

I will say the stunts with the car’s seem a lil unrealistic … but I’m thinking possible “bike” dlc or something could fix that….hmmmm

And thanx for replying to our comments…Shows DEV. support for the future ..IMO

August 13th, 12:04 pm

The stunts lean more to FUN than simulation, Dan. There will be plenty of future support… keep an eye out.

KosmoCrisis said:

August 13th, 12:01 pm

@PSN-God

That’s not true. Plenty of online enabled games are online. Most recently Zen Pinball and The Punisher both have crazy feature sets and have online play including tournaments, all for $9.99. There are other titles too.

Poopookakabumbum said:

August 13th, 12:02 pm

Is this coming out on disc?

No disc – no sale.

dragonleader33 said:

August 13th, 12:02 pm

As as inspiring game creator myself currently in school learning how to make games, I must say this looks really well done. Cant wait to give it a go.

August 13th, 12:06 pm

Thanks, dragonleader33. Always cool to see new folsk come into our industry.

daniel1908 said:

August 13th, 12:02 pm

Quick reply. Thanks for the info. Smash Cars here I come…next week Thursday…now I can’t sleep

KosmoCrisis said:

August 13th, 12:03 pm

Given that Marvel vs. Capcom 2 is releasing on the PS Store today, I’m ass out next week for anything. Thanks alot Capcom, now I can’t play other devs games because everything has to be $14.99 now.

August 13th, 12:08 pm

Well, gundamman had an interesting suggestion at the start of the blog about ways to earn extra cash. But I promise you that Smash Cars is well worth it.

djsifer said:

August 13th, 12:06 pm

Looks awsome, i will buy this day 1.

August 13th, 12:09 pm

OK, class. Everyone please look at djsifer\’s work. See how well this is done? Simple. Precise. Knows a killer game when he sees it and commits right away. Let\’s have every gamer out there follow his example.

PSN-God said:

August 13th, 12:07 pm

Also, I think most gamers are spoiled nowadays. I mean an online game like this for S14.99 IS really cheap for a game on this caliber, especially when you consider the production value.

Just because it’s on PSN, doesn’t mean it has to be $9.99 or lower.

rafael_martines said:

August 13th, 12:07 pm

ohhhh! Finally, besides Marvel VS Capcom 2 (Today, finally too), Smash Cars AND Critter Crunch is another game I want! This game will have Platinum Trophy?

dragonleader33 said:

August 13th, 12:09 pm

No thank you, for bringing a quality title to good people who want to play good games!

PSN-God said:

August 13th, 12:11 pm

@KosmoCrisis,

Both games are developed by Zen Studios, and honestly speaking, I was surprised when I saw The Punisher for $9.99.

But maybe Zen Studios has some kind of ‘magic server’ for their games!?!

PullusPardusUS said:

August 13th, 12:12 pm

it seems im the only one that had this game on PS2, i feel proud !
it was FREAKING AWESOME!, and this is going to be an instant buy.

August 13th, 12:15 pm

If you liked the PS2 game, then this will make your brain explode. It pushes everything from the last game through a steroid-laced meat grinder!

daniel1908 said:

August 13th, 12:12 pm

Buying this Day 1.

August 13th, 12:16 pm

See how Daniel1908 learned from djsifer above? Good work, Daniel!

bob52 said:

August 13th, 12:12 pm

ur presentation is a lot like exitebots on wii. The stars,the tricks. Where did u guys get ur inspiration? Im looking forward to this

August 13th, 12:17 pm

I\’d have to talk to our designers about their inspiration. I know they love racing, stunts and action. Plus, they\’re a little bit crazy, so that may have something to do with it.

plaztiksyke said:

August 13th, 12:12 pm

First, can you tell us when the next content pack for Magic Ball will come out? My family and our friends have gotten all the trophies and are waiting for more! We can’t decide if a cowboy/wild west or alien theme would be best, but either will do nicely :) If the music in the XMB could be lowered a few decibels and the in-game music and sound effects get a bump in quality in the process, that would also be great.

I’m not too excited about Yet Another Toy Car Racing game. Does it render at 1080p native? Use FSAA? Are the audio assets 24-bit and/or lossless? For such a high-priced title in a genre PSN is saturated with, I hope that it’s competing on these technical merits to justify the higher price.

Also, thanks for the Cuboid updates, I’m working my way through them now. So difficult — some of them seem downright mean ;)

Keep up the good work!

August 13th, 12:19 pm

Sorry. You\’re going to have to wait in line with everyone else for more Magic Ball news. But stay patient.

Don\’t think of Smash Cars as Yet Another Toy Car Racing Game. Think of all the others as Not Quite Smash Cars Toy Racing Games.

starBlinky01 said:

August 13th, 12:13 pm

This really does look good. Although I am too cheap to spend 15 dollars, if it was 10 I would probably do it. hmmm. Maybe if you guys release a demo some time down the line I will try that and then decide.

It does look worth $15, but I am too cheap

PSN-God said:

August 13th, 12:14 pm

@rafael_martines,

Games below $20 price tag are not allowed to have Platinum trophies.

onlineatron said:

August 13th, 12:15 pm

Is the multiplayer Local or online?

August 13th, 12:19 pm

Multiplayer is online. Up to six players.

KhSam3 said:

August 13th, 12:15 pm

reminds me of the good ‘ol days of playing Hotwheels for PC. any chance of a giveaway?