No Man's Sky

Announcing: LittleBigPlanet – Game of the Year edition

Mark Valledor's Avatar + Posted by Mark Valledor on Aug 17, 2009 // Marketing Manager, SCEA

Morning all! Today, we’re pleased to announce the upcoming release of LittleBigPlanet – Game of the Year edition, which will ship to stores on September 8th for $59.99 with a “Sackful” of bonus content.

And while everyone unveils this type of news with a shiny new package front… grrrr… we wanted to be different and do the reverse…

LittleBigPlanet GOTY back

…and spend some time on the back of the box to talk about what’s in this “Game of the Year” version:

• First off, you’ll get the full award-winning LittleBigPlanet gameplay experience, or as we like to call it “Play Create Share” – ok, that was a bit to ‘infomercially’ (sorry), but you get the idea. Everything that made LittleBigPlanet one of the biggest games on the PS3 is in there.
  • Next, to give our new fans a taste of the over 1,000,000 user-generated levels available on the PlayStation Network, Media Molecule has hand-picked 18 extraordinary people to Create bonus levels specifically for the GOTY edition – complete with interviews with each creator. We loved how these levels turned out and hope you will to.

Paintball2 Tublerizer2- Cropped
Watermill2 - cropped Snow tank - cropped

LittleBigPlanet_AddOn-HistoryCostumePack_thumb_US LittleBigPlanet_AddOn-HistoryMediaPack_thumb_US LittleBigPlanet_AddOn-MonstersMedKit_thumb_US LittleBigPlanet_AddOn-MonstersCostumePack_thumb_US
LittleBigPlanet_AddOn-MGSCostumePack_thumb_US LittleBigPlanet_AddOn-MGSLevelPack_thumb_US LittleBigPlanet_AddOn-AnimalCostumeBundle_thumb_US

• Finally, as a peek at the next game in the “Play, Create, Share” family, a limited supply of LittleBigPlanet – Game of the Year Editions will include a special voucher code for the upcoming ModNation Racers Online Beta. This is your chance to play ModNation Racers before the game comes out in 2010. If you haven’t checked out ModNation yet, and you’re a big-time racing fan, always dreamed of creating your own track, or you’re into vinyl art – head on over to www.ModNation.com and register.
  • ModNation Racers

So to summarize the bonus content:

• 18 new levels made by players just like you
  • 7 different content packs
  • Exclusive access to the upcoming ModNation Online beta

All together, with bonus content valued at over $30, the award-winning experience and over 1,000,000 levels to play online, it’s a great offer for those that haven’t joined the LittleBigPlanet community yet…all bundled in one neat little ‘sack’.

LittleBigPlanet GOTY front

+ TheRealHades on August 17th, 2009 at 3:50 pm said:

I totally agree that this is a slap to all of us who paid and supported LittleBigPlanet from day one. We’ve been spending money on the DLC as well as creating the million plus levels that let you advertise these huge numbers, yet it is people who had no care for the game before getting the bonuses. Yes it will snag new people offering people $90 worth of game for $60. But this is just upsetting to people who paid $90 for game and DLC to make this game huge enough for you to offer this. True fans get screwed here.

+ TwiztedR3DHead on August 17th, 2009 at 3:51 pm said:

I want modnation racers

+ Solid-Snake-Eyes on August 17th, 2009 at 3:51 pm said:

Will the the 18 new levels be made available to people who already bought the original edition of LBP? I think it’ll be pretty uncool if they aren’t.

+ Ausohoj on August 17th, 2009 at 3:52 pm said:

Awesome! An even bigger announcement to come tommorow! Sweet! now for the checklist:

Modnation racers Beta voucher? Check.

18 new levels made by some of the greatest levels in Lbp history? check.

Content i would like but already bought but is a good deal for people who haven’t bought this game yet? check.

A huge announcement coming tommorow? check.

+1 sold copy of the GOTY edition? check.

+ katsuo7171 on August 17th, 2009 at 3:52 pm said:

This ModNation stuff is all just a ploy to get users to buy your game twice. I’m not falling for it. ;)

+ Jon_Mclane on August 17th, 2009 at 3:52 pm said:

why does it say ps home in the feature list? I don’t remember this game having any home integration

+ Ausohoj on August 17th, 2009 at 3:52 pm said:

shoot. i meant greatest LBP level creators. I hate typos.

+ Capt-Fury- on August 17th, 2009 at 3:53 pm said:

is the save file of the regular edition compatible with the GOTY edition?

+ Berke-h on August 17th, 2009 at 3:55 pm said:

This is great news, I somehow never had the chance to purchase LBP, even though it felt very compelling. Now, this makes the deal for me. Thank you MM!

+ Ryukofdeath on August 17th, 2009 at 3:56 pm said:

Really, your going to make me buy this version too…Hey if i put this disk in will it load my Original LBP Saves? If so, then im trading in my Two lbps for this one tommarow

+ niall077 on August 17th, 2009 at 3:57 pm said:

cant wait to see how SCEE put the PSN bubble on that box art

+ OneEightyTwo on August 17th, 2009 at 3:57 pm said:

Great deal, this game changed gaming.

+ jqtaxpayer on August 17th, 2009 at 3:57 pm said:

Cool. Can’t wait for an opportunity for us early adopters (I actually got a pre-release copy, thanks to the power of the internet) to get into the Modnation Racers beta.

+ Shin-Ra on August 17th, 2009 at 4:03 pm said:

If the Game of the Year Edition starts a new trophy list, are all the trophies the same?

+ onlineatron on August 17th, 2009 at 4:04 pm said:

Silly me…

I bought the game last year in order to support the developers and Sony. I should have know my support would go un-rewarded….

Silly Silly me…!!!!!!1

+ Gr00v3r06 on August 17th, 2009 at 4:04 pm said:

Love this game glad to see it is getting a 2nd round on the release. When will the Play Create Share points work?

+ DARK_JAK_911 on August 17th, 2009 at 4:07 pm said:

So only people with the GOTY edition can play the hand picked GOTY levels? I’m doubting this can be true. Can you give me a reply Mark?

+ TheRootBeerKing on August 17th, 2009 at 4:07 pm said:

And yet I still probably won’t buy this game. Though the mod nation racers beta is mighty tempting! Still I’m just not sure I’d enjoy Little Big Planet, I heard along ago the controls weren’t very tight so that worries me. If only there were a demo for this game…

+ Kchow23 on August 17th, 2009 at 4:08 pm said:

The same style of characters from ModNation Racers possibly replacing the Home characters and the PSN avatars? now that would be a dream come true :)

+ Dice_for_Death_ on August 17th, 2009 at 4:08 pm said:

Guess I’ll hold off my purchase until they becomes available.

+ poweredbyzen on August 17th, 2009 at 4:10 pm said:

i already have the game AND the add-ons! so many games coming out in september, i’m not sure if this one will be on top of my list. basically, it’s full price for ModNation beta. there’s a recession in my bank account right now, in case Sony is curious. :\

+ Dice_for_Death_ on August 17th, 2009 at 4:11 pm said:

Thankfully, I’m not a “true fan” who is supposedly “getting screwed” by the pricing of this version of LBP; I’m an enthusiast is who capitalizing on A) holding off on getting the game for all these months, and B) Telling myself there’d be a version akin to this, knowing it would sell enough to warrant this product.

Feels good, man.

+ IronFistedChamp on August 17th, 2009 at 4:12 pm said:

Hopefully you actually advertise it this time…

+ triple_lei on August 17th, 2009 at 4:13 pm said:

What a bunch of whiners.

You wanted the game on day one, and you paid full price for it. Nothing wrong with paying a premium for enjoying something (much) earlier.

Maybe I should check on the recent “Greatest Hits” topic to see if you all were whining there too. I bet it goes something like:

“WAAHH!! I paid $60 for Uncharted, but now it’s $30? What gives?? And who cares if you were trying to gain more fans this way? I’m going to go back in time to warn myself.”

+ Shin-Ra on August 17th, 2009 at 4:19 pm said:

If you don’t like superior, cheaper models of things coming out later:

Don’t buy games, computers, hi-fi’s, tv’s, cars etc etc.

The “I supported you from the start!” comments are a joke. You always pay a premium to get things first and it’s not like you haven’t been given a bunch of free DLC and feature upgrades already. And they’re still not finished.

+ ADR143 on August 17th, 2009 at 4:21 pm said:

dam good deal! hopefully i can get in the modnation beta.

btw SONY or MM can u guys put out LBP planet avatars in PSN? is a shame we dont have any and all other great ps3 exclusive games

+ almighty-slayer on August 17th, 2009 at 4:21 pm said:

Announcement? We knew about this months ago, sorry Sony :P

+ Micheal_Bluth on August 17th, 2009 at 4:23 pm said:

I wonder if they’ve held back on full DLC levels (like MGS pack) so that they didn’t have to include them in this edition for free.

+ Ultranium on August 17th, 2009 at 4:23 pm said:

Good deal. It’s too bad that i already bought LBP and the MGS packs.

+ STMaraj on August 17th, 2009 at 4:24 pm said:

How much will the original edition cost????? I really want this game but the price is too high for me.

+ ozmafire101 on August 17th, 2009 at 4:26 pm said:

Sony, since I have the original copy, if I get this am I gonna have to start all over getting everything or will my save file work with the GOTY edition?

+ toology01 on August 17th, 2009 at 4:27 pm said:

About these 18 new levels created by community designers. Were these levels overlooked by Media Molecule? In other words can we expect the same level of polish and creativity as MM developed levels?

+ onlineatron on August 17th, 2009 at 4:32 pm said:

Modnation Racers is one of my most anticipated games, yet being the fool I am I bought the game day 1 in order support Mm and the developers.

So no beta or free content for me =(

+ MrCaine on August 17th, 2009 at 4:35 pm said:

its u losers that WILL pay for this that are screwing it up. us, more intelligent ppl know us Day 1ers are getting screwed. and if the ‘less smart’ ones would catch on, we wouldn’t be getting screwed over. now, losers, u can stop with ur nasty psn messages like im gonna read them. but u make it easy to know who to block. so, intelligent ppl, lets not stand for this anymore.

+ lobotomies4free on August 17th, 2009 at 4:37 pm said:

thanks for putting it all on the disc instead of just throwing in vouchers. It’s nice to be able to play it all at a friend’s house

+ SkyNet003 on August 17th, 2009 at 4:42 pm said:

If you don’t want to be “screwed”, wait a year, like we “losers” did.

+ jamerica on August 17th, 2009 at 4:48 pm said:

Awesome! I’ll telling my friend about this…

+ Dice_for_Death_ on August 17th, 2009 at 4:49 pm said:

I’m actually kind of jazzed for ModNation Racers, now that I’m thinking about LBP GOTY and the beta voucher. Kind of… excited.

+ cronqvist on August 17th, 2009 at 4:52 pm said:

I already own LBP, but I´m very tempted to get the GOTY edition.

+ VincentVendetta on August 17th, 2009 at 4:53 pm said:

You know, I could buy this new edition for the Beta and the 18 levels, but I still have my original LBP that I bought on day 1. AND I WILL STAY LOYAL TO IT! BACK OFF SONY! I SHALL NOT BE TEMPTED BY YOUR OFFERS! FREEEEEEDOOOOOM!

+ zooyork198 on August 17th, 2009 at 4:58 pm said:

now i have a really gud reason 2 get LBP. Gr8 bundle & beta 4 Modnation!!!

+ PullusPardusUS on August 17th, 2009 at 4:59 pm said:

hey MM, what do you guys think about Modnation Racers?, it must be pretty awesome to have others take inspiration from you.

will we see a sackboy character in there?
maybe riding a toolbox or something made of nuts and bolts

+ JimmyHACK on August 17th, 2009 at 5:00 pm said:

LBP should seriously be a free pack-in game with ps3 hardware by now.

+ Canuck4Life on August 17th, 2009 at 5:04 pm said:

By “limited supply”, do you mean that all copies of the game for a certain period of time starting at launch will include a voucher for the beta? Or will some copies have vouchers and some not?

Looking forward to your announcement tomorrow!

+ roseofmayix on August 17th, 2009 at 5:05 pm said:

Lol..So if all this DL content is included with the game for free, why are those of us that already own the game having to pay for the content in the store still?

There seriously better be a plan to give us this content for free. Otherwise this is a swift kick in the teeth for those of us who have been playing LBP to death this past year. :[

+ Sponge-worthy on August 17th, 2009 at 5:12 pm said:

A reasonably priced GOTY downloadable pack would be nice for the rest of us who already own the game, thus giving you license to put “GOTY” on the packaging in the first place. Hmmm?

+ IceColdKilla44 on August 17th, 2009 at 5:19 pm said:

Awesome. Now anyone who hasn’t gotten LBP yet really has no excuse. I mean come on; Game of the Year!

But hey, come on now Sony, 18 new levels and ModNation Racers Beta…you’re not gonna leave all of us faithful day 1 LBP buyers behind…are you?

+ mustbehiggy on August 17th, 2009 at 5:22 pm said:

This is pretty sweet because now I think I’ll finally get my brother to buy it, who lives in another country so we can finally play together. However, I also feel like I was just ripped off at the same time. I payed for lots of DLC and this game nearly a year ago, and now he’ll get it for the same price but with all the DLC AND extra levels. I hope the levels come to everyone else eventually.

Man, this is just like the force unleashed.. the sith version has added content and most people already have the game who are gonna buy it anyway. Game companies need to start giving long time customers benefits not just throw benefits out to try getting the n00bs involved. Only good thing I see here is that more people get the game and hopefully more levels are made =) YAY!

+ lyfestory on August 17th, 2009 at 5:24 pm said:

im among those who’d like to know why those of us who already bought the game left feeling left out on the free stuff.. those of us who have supported the game from the beginning.. but i still feel somewhat cheated from buying the PS3 at $600, getting absolutely nothing free… go figure…

+ TRIX_BOL on August 17th, 2009 at 5:24 pm said:

This is a good deal, I have to concede LBP is a well worth title. Bespoke I have my copy since first day, this edtion is fantastic!

So many things bundled up in a single disc. Plus one gets a ModNation Racers beta voucher, LBP just keeps getting better and better. Can’t waint till tomorrow’s annauncement!