PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Announcing: LittleBigPlanet – Game of the Year edition

Mark Valledor's Avatar + Posted by Mark Valledor on Aug 17, 2009 // Marketing Manager, SCEA

Morning all! Today, we’re pleased to announce the upcoming release of LittleBigPlanet – Game of the Year edition, which will ship to stores on September 8th for $59.99 with a “Sackful” of bonus content.

And while everyone unveils this type of news with a shiny new package front… grrrr… we wanted to be different and do the reverse…

LittleBigPlanet GOTY back

…and spend some time on the back of the box to talk about what’s in this “Game of the Year” version:

• First off, you’ll get the full award-winning LittleBigPlanet gameplay experience, or as we like to call it “Play Create Share” – ok, that was a bit to ‘infomercially’ (sorry), but you get the idea. Everything that made LittleBigPlanet one of the biggest games on the PS3 is in there.
  • Next, to give our new fans a taste of the over 1,000,000 user-generated levels available on the PlayStation Network, Media Molecule has hand-picked 18 extraordinary people to Create bonus levels specifically for the GOTY edition – complete with interviews with each creator. We loved how these levels turned out and hope you will to.

Paintball2 Tublerizer2- Cropped
Watermill2 - cropped Snow tank - cropped

LittleBigPlanet_AddOn-HistoryCostumePack_thumb_US LittleBigPlanet_AddOn-HistoryMediaPack_thumb_US LittleBigPlanet_AddOn-MonstersMedKit_thumb_US LittleBigPlanet_AddOn-MonstersCostumePack_thumb_US
LittleBigPlanet_AddOn-MGSCostumePack_thumb_US LittleBigPlanet_AddOn-MGSLevelPack_thumb_US LittleBigPlanet_AddOn-AnimalCostumeBundle_thumb_US

• Finally, as a peek at the next game in the “Play, Create, Share” family, a limited supply of LittleBigPlanet – Game of the Year Editions will include a special voucher code for the upcoming ModNation Racers Online Beta. This is your chance to play ModNation Racers before the game comes out in 2010. If you haven’t checked out ModNation yet, and you’re a big-time racing fan, always dreamed of creating your own track, or you’re into vinyl art – head on over to www.ModNation.com and register.
  • ModNation Racers

So to summarize the bonus content:

• 18 new levels made by players just like you
  • 7 different content packs
  • Exclusive access to the upcoming ModNation Online beta

All together, with bonus content valued at over $30, the award-winning experience and over 1,000,000 levels to play online, it’s a great offer for those that haven’t joined the LittleBigPlanet community yet…all bundled in one neat little ‘sack’.

LittleBigPlanet GOTY front

+ Antonisbob on August 17th, 2009 at 5:26 pm said:

when i say “Game of the year edition” i thought it was Fallout 3 news..lol

+ The_Wacker on August 17th, 2009 at 5:30 pm said:

at 101

LBP is GOTY whats the matter with you?

+ dinkin-flicka on August 17th, 2009 at 5:37 pm said:

I don’t think those that already have the game should get the DLC for free. That would be dumb. Everyone would just go around looking for (now cheaper) original copies of LBP and downloading the DLCs. But I do think there should be some sort of announcement where we can purchase the DLC bundle from the PS Store at a fair price point.

+ Jose345o on August 17th, 2009 at 5:39 pm said:

@56

I think it means that LBP will be getting PS Home compatibility

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on August 17th, 2009 at 5:52 pm said:

man..thats what dissapoints me about the game industry..those that support it in the beggining..dont get any credit..but those that wait till they hear its a great game get a better deal..seriously its got to stop..or atleast improve..WE XCLUSIVE FRIST DAY BUYERS had FAITH in the COMPANY and im sure we HELPED it GROW with our DONATiONS…i dont hink its fair..but watever..hopefully WE TRUE FAITHFULL FANS get a chance to get that MOdNaTion RaCerS BeTa CoDe ..only time will tell..:/

Mark Valledor's Avatar

+ Mark Valledor on August 17th, 2009 at 5:53 pm said:

Hey guys,

I’m taking notes of all the comments and will work on getting answers and post on a future Sack it to me. Stay tuned.

+ FE_RR on August 17th, 2009 at 6:02 pm said:

So, for the ones that got the game from day 1 means we need to pay $59.99 to get 18 extra levels?…it’s impossible, first pre-orders, then extra bonus content for the ones that didn’t catch the pre-orders…so this means if you want to get everything you need to buy the game 2-3 times, i’m talking games in general, but lbp it’s a good example…it’s unfair, hope i’m wrong…

+ Voozi on August 17th, 2009 at 6:10 pm said:

Can you go more in dept on the PlayStation Home support?

+ CSZ02 on August 17th, 2009 at 6:11 pm said:

Cool. Never got to purchase LBP awhile back, but will buy this one now that it includes the bonus content. Plus that Modnation Racers Beta is too good to ignore!

+ ixnine on August 17th, 2009 at 6:51 pm said:

I already have this game and almost all of the dlc, but I might have to get the new copy anyway, well, just because!

+ rcffan13 on August 17th, 2009 at 6:57 pm said:

I have a bunch of questions:
- Will we be able to buy the 18 levels on the Playstation Store in the future?
- What are the PSN’s of the creators of the 18 levels? I’d love to know.
- Will these 18 levels include costumes?
- Lastly, did I see a sackboy wearing a gasmask in the video?

+ Fransir on August 17th, 2009 at 7:15 pm said:

What about the guys and girls that bought the regular edition.Before the Game of the Year Edition.Do we get anything?

+ G-Force08 on August 17th, 2009 at 7:33 pm said:

I really want to get this edition, but I must know. Will I be able to use my current LBP game save data with this version of LBP?

+ Sponge-worthy on August 17th, 2009 at 7:38 pm said:

Given the frustration I am seeing in the posts, it definitely seems that SCEA misfired in rolling this out. The tone of the announcement seems to be along the lines of, “Thanks for loving LBP everyone! Now it’s time to double-dip! Cha-ching!”

As a previous poster noted, from the pre-order exclusive content offerings to special edition exclusive content offerings, more and more it seems that gamers are being frozen out from being able to acquire, at reasonable effort or expense, the total of available content for certain titles.

Nearly every major game release this fall/winter carries some sort of pre-order exclusive (sometimes several exclusives, spread around various retailers). Undoubtedly, some of those titles will also see ‘special’-type editions come down the pipe later on–presumably with more exclusive content included in the double-dip.

+ Sponge-worthy on August 17th, 2009 at 7:39 pm said:

(and to finish, apologies all)

The risk is, that many of us gamers will just have to throw up our hands, and live with the fact that we’ll never get to play all the ‘bonus’ content that may become available for the games we buy. And in that case, any incentive for us to keep our money out of the secondary markets disappears. Used games play just fine.

As I mentioned earlier, a reasonably-priced GOTY DLC pack would be great for everyone. Hopefully it will be announced soon.

+ ARM3D_CHAOS on August 17th, 2009 at 8:02 pm said:

cool

+ brent14 on August 17th, 2009 at 8:07 pm said:

I cannot wait for Modnation Racers. And I’m eagerly waiting for all of the announcements coming tomorrow. (Especially if there is a MM announcement!)

+ starBlinky01 on August 17th, 2009 at 8:13 pm said:

bigger announcement tomorow!?! Cant wait!! I bet its the big thing you guys have been working on for months and months. All you guys have released so far that interests me is the metal gear pack with the levels.

I hope you guys made new levels. I am guessing its like a whole new story mode to the game.

+ Da_iceman017 on August 17th, 2009 at 8:16 pm said:

I would only buy it if it upscaled to 1080i and since it doesn’t, even though I want it I refuse to buy it until theres a patch.

+ twooh on August 17th, 2009 at 8:26 pm said:

___

_____

Good thing I bought this title to support the devs on release day. Now I too can be screwed out of the extras. I guess my plans of buying LBP psp will not go as planned. Mm will be boycotted by me from here on out.

____
___

+ Wuggyboobeaufuf on August 17th, 2009 at 8:35 pm said:

Great! I can’t wait to see what gets censored in this version!

+ MrBeatdown on August 17th, 2009 at 8:39 pm said:

I hope those of us that bought the game already aren’t left out.

I think a bundle of all the content and entry into the beta would be pretty hard to resist for around $20. Or maybe a sale on all the included content with entry into the beta being to given out to people who buy, or have previously bought all the content.

Make it happen. Don’t leave us early adopters out in the cold.

+ linebeginstoblur on August 17th, 2009 at 8:41 pm said:

“Don’t worry…wait until tomorrow for “bigger” announcement.”

PS3 SLIM CONFIRMED.

+ baddblood on August 17th, 2009 at 8:54 pm said:

I m in love with this game :) i cant get enough of it , i have bought some levels and costumes packs , and sure got all free stuff and now i m planning on getting this one … no reason actually , just the cover is so cool and the game is a hell of fun , cant wait to get the Little psp version , cant wait to hear the BIG announcement ASAP it will blow the PLANET away , take cover :D

+ grimgard on August 17th, 2009 at 9:08 pm said:

Way to burn the customers who already have the game. You should give the “new content” to everyone who already paid $59.99 for the game.

+ midnightshade on August 17th, 2009 at 9:18 pm said:

Do you guys have jobs? Seriously? I buy everything day 1 and find it hard to belive you didn’t enjoy the year you got to play lbp. I remember when morrowind game of the year came out on pc, back in the day with 3 expansion packs. people weren’t whining then. You get 1st access, the price of things go down over time. If you wait you could be waiting a long time. Support the dev and buy day 1, your not being screwed your being immature and greedy by thinking the world owes you something. There have been game of the year editions and such for a long long time. Why is this any different. I really think its a select bunch of kids who feel that they need to comment on every ps-blog thread to try to get free stuff. I see it in every post, someone whining. Grow up, and have some fun playing lbp! I just got back into the game 2 days ago, and bought the history pack… I am having a blast again. Am I sour not in the least. The game is fun and i have enjoyed it for almost a year now. Seriously people, stop whining.

+ s8an1 on August 17th, 2009 at 9:25 pm said:

I was just thinking, why do we need 18 levels made by users just like us, if we have over 1 million of those? I want MM made levels!!

+ j2thaa on August 17th, 2009 at 9:29 pm said:

wow. im so getting this! day 1 purchase!

+ stlthriot on August 17th, 2009 at 9:32 pm said:

This sure is sad news for everyone that bought the game already and especially when it first came out. I’d sure love $30 of extra content AND ModNation Racers beta voucher! :)

+ jekoln on August 17th, 2009 at 10:09 pm said:

i’m one of the 18 that made levels for this game of the year edition, do you know if they plan on sending out copies of the game to the level creators?

+ XgargunoX on August 17th, 2009 at 10:19 pm said:

I would like a demo of this game I have no idea what it’s even about…. Cod waw and fat princess are the games I like

+ Errod88 on August 18th, 2009 at 12:04 am said:

Just in time for my birthday thanks media molecule and sony this is a my perfect birthday present I always missed out on betas…

+ Accuracy158 on August 18th, 2009 at 12:12 am said:

Sound cool but I would like the Killzone content too.

+ Wafi24 on August 18th, 2009 at 12:30 am said:

So, I’m guessing I’ll trade in my orginal copy of lbp pay a few more bucks to get this nice one. Also hopefully this bigger annoucment just won’t be overhyped, but i really cant wait to see what it is.

+ Wafi24 on August 18th, 2009 at 12:34 am said:

FF dlc

+ whatisdelicious on August 18th, 2009 at 1:30 am said:

PACK LBP IN WITH THE PS3
PACK LBP IN WITH THE PS3
PACK LBP IN WITH THE PS3

I seriously cannot say it enough. This should be the PS3′s pack-in game. It’s the WiiSports for PS3. They should be inseparable. You want to establish LBP as the PS3′s mascot? You should, and it’s easy.

Stop packing in Uncharted and Resistance and Killzone and whatever the new flavor of the week is. Pack in LBP with the PS3. For free. Yeah, that’s right. Absolutely for free. The more people with LBP now, the more people who will buy DLC, the more people who will buy LBP2, the more people will associate the two and parents will see the PS3 as a family thing.

So I say… one more time…

PACK LITTLEBIGPLANET IN WITH THE PLAYSTATION 3.

+ wbrinkman on August 18th, 2009 at 1:53 am said:

Will with the GOTY version released the ingame play/share/create counter finally work?

+ echogridlock on August 18th, 2009 at 2:45 am said:

Testing 123

+ SgtRufus on August 18th, 2009 at 2:53 am said:

Great game. However, the lack of developer support for anything but 1,000s of useless new skins AKA ‘costumes’ and silly ‘stickers’ killed it for me. Nothing new that actually impacted gameplay. No new developer made levels since the Metal Gear Solid levels months and months ago. 99% of the user made levels are garbage ‘heart for heart’ trophy levels that took 5 minutes to make. I don’t even think the ‘news’ section within the game has been updated in 6 months. So it was a great game, but the lack of updates made me sell it off recently.

+ spideyal on August 18th, 2009 at 3:10 am said:

I plan on buying this, even though I already own the game. The DLC makes it worth it. :D

Plus, getting Mod Nation Racers beta key is a big deal to me. I’ve been looking forward to this game. So stoked.

+ Netweb on August 18th, 2009 at 3:29 am said:

What about offer the old DLC on QORE?

+ robsammons on August 18th, 2009 at 3:30 am said:

i really don’t think this could be sold in the UK for the full £40 when i saw LBP the other day for £5 in a supermarket, which is a shame really but no one will buy this just for costumes.

+ radiantshadow92 on August 18th, 2009 at 4:14 am said:

i’m going to pick this one up for the mod beta, thanks sony ^_^

+ Miguel_Zorro on August 18th, 2009 at 4:40 am said:

So, as for this “limited number of ModNation Racers demos” – I have a pre-order for the LittleBigPlanet GOTY edition in right now. Does this mean I WILL get access to the ModNation Racers demo, or that I’ll have a random CHANCE at getting a ModNation Racers demo code?

+ MoneyMaker110 on August 18th, 2009 at 4:47 am said:

i’ve had the game since release and i got most if not all the dlc in the goty package. i might get this version just to show love for a game i think is great.

+ Tielo on August 18th, 2009 at 4:58 am said:

I’m with the guy who wrote this:

+ Cxplorer_Qc_Can on August 18th, 2009 at 5:33 am said:

cool!

+ ThaddeusK on August 18th, 2009 at 5:33 am said:

@119: Da_iceman017: Dude, 1080i sucks, 720p is WAY better. You need a new TV if it only supports 1080i, or buy a receiver that will re-encode it for you.

@105/146: And how would they give us bonus content that didn’t exist at the time? “We invented a time machine so we could go into the future and get some content for a special edition and a beta code for a game that we haven’t started yet”, That’s just crazy talk.

I think this is a great idea to get new players, and with new players comes new level designers, and with new level designers comes new levels. So everybody wins, quit being whiners :P.

+ Xervai on August 18th, 2009 at 5:53 am said:

@105

Donations? Do you not even understand how commerce works? You don’t donate money and get goods in return. It’s an exchange. You were compensated with their product, you did not donate money and happen to get a free gift. Get over it.

That’s an awesome deal for those that haven’t got into the LBP fun yet! Modnation Racers certainly is amazing. Here is to hoping for a beta chance! If not it’s a day one buy for me :D

+ synchronizerman on August 18th, 2009 at 5:56 am said:

I was hoping something else was going to happen. I’m not getting the same game again. I already paid for all but one of the packs (Not the costume packs). I was hoping online create mode would be released or something like that… Any chance that we can pay for the 18 new levels to add on to the original release as DLC?