PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

PlayStation 3 Firmware (v3.00) Update

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Aug 18, 2009 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

Hi everyone, PlayStation 3 (PS3) firmware update (v3.00) adds a number of great new features that we’re excited to share with you. The latest update incorporates changes that improve navigation on your PS3. First, you’ll notice some cosmetic changes to the design of the XMB (Xross Media Bar). We’ve enhanced the look and feel of the XMB so that it’s easier and even more intuitive to use. We’ve also added network improvements and personalization options to help enhance your PS3 experience.

Additional highlights from update 3.00 include:

• “What’s New” – The “Information Board” will be replaced with a “What’s New” section, which allows you to enjoy interactive PlayStation news every time you start the PS3 system. Located under the PlayStation Network icon, “What’s New” displays the latest and greatest game, video, PlayStation Network and PlayStation news and releases, as well as your recently played games, in a sleek, new animated format.
  • Status Indicator – In the top right corner we’ve added an indicator bar, which displays your user icon, friend icon, the number of friends you have online and a small message icon to let you know if you have any new messages. The indicator also includes a scrolling ticker that features the latest news from PlayStation Network. In addition, when you press the PS button, the battery life indicator will no longer cover up the clock.
  • Friends List – Now your PlayStation Network friends will appear in a slightly redesigned format on your Friends List. Also, messages will now be viewable from each of your friends’ respective profiles.
  • PlayStation Store Shortcuts – We’ve added a handy shortcut icon to the PlayStation Store under both the Game and Video categories so you can access the latest content quickly and easily.
  • Personalization – Personalize your PS3 with new dynamic custom themes and avatars. Dynamic themes as well as free and premium avatars will be available through PlayStation Store. A dynamic theme takes your screen to a whole new level as it incorporates animated objects into the background.
  • Trophies – Showcasing your hard earned trophies just got better. Update 3.00 gives game developers the ability to modify how they display trophies for add-on content. Base and add-on game trophies will continue to be combined into a single list so you can see where you stand in a game as a whole. Within that list, trophies will be broken out into subcategories—base trophies and add-on trophies—that way, you can easily view the percentage of your base game trophy collection, and separately track your trophy progress in add-on packs. Look for this enhancement to be included in upcoming games.

To get a preview of what’s coming in update 3.00, check out the video below:

We’re looking forward to releasing firmware update 3.00 soon. As always, we appreciate your feedback.

1,986 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4 40

+ Plstcsldgr on August 18th, 2009 at 10:15 am said:

GREAT those dynamic themes are SICK. and the new avatars sweet we’ve been begging for those.

+ SPOPS on August 18th, 2009 at 10:15 am said:

Awesome!!!

+ TRIX_BOL on August 18th, 2009 at 10:15 am said:

Now a Calendar and notepad are in top of my wishlist. :)

+ GordyNYC on August 18th, 2009 at 10:15 am said:

Status bar though necessary looks kinda tacked on. Im glad we finally have a way to see if we have messages without having to go to the message box

+ poweredbyzen on August 18th, 2009 at 10:15 am said:

updates rule! :D

+ thuway on August 18th, 2009 at 10:15 am said:

When can we expect Cross Game Chat and voice messaging. To be honest, those are the only features I want. Thanks. Are they atleast being worked on ?

+ Bigrhyno on August 18th, 2009 at 10:15 am said:

I’d take in game party chat over all the features in this update combined.

+ SPARDA on August 18th, 2009 at 10:15 am said:

great stuff.

SPARDA

+ Stallone1993 on August 18th, 2009 at 10:16 am said:

Apparently the Friends list was revamped, how come it’s not shown?

+ ZIMZUM on August 18th, 2009 at 10:16 am said:

dude… dynamic themes? thats cool….
me thinks sony is starting to get it down…

good job

+ GAM3R_16 on August 18th, 2009 at 10:16 am said:

Thank You SONY YOU ROCK!!!!

+ Sekoku on August 18th, 2009 at 10:16 am said:

>> # Status Indicator – In the top right corner we’ve added an indicator bar, which displays your user icon, friend icon, the number of friends you have online and a small message icon to let you know if you have any new messages. The indicator also includes a scrolling ticker that features the latest news from PlayStation Network. In addition, when you press the PS button, the battery life indicator will no longer cover up the clock.

OH THANK GOD! END OF THE WORLD CONFIRMED SINCE SONY FINALLY FIXES THE CLOCK!

Also: PLZ 2 B TURNING OFF ADS like that stupid RSS feed under my friend/message status? If not, then I can just turn both of them off as I don’t want to see ads and the (clunky) friends tab does the work just fine.

>> # PlayStation Store Shortcuts – We’ve added a handy shortcut icon to the PlayStation Store under both the Game and Video categories so you can access the latest content quickly and easily.

Very nice.

Over all, upgrade.

+ ZAANOS on August 18th, 2009 at 10:16 am said:

WOW ERIC and Staff NICE!!!!JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow I’m completely blown away with the redesign!! Really!! Animated themes wow that Little Big Planet one looks amazing!!!

Something that would compliment the PS3 would be a live chat where random people could join and chat. You could have background themes of the games of the eras for each room. PS1,PS2,PS3,PSP talk.

+ Caemgen on August 18th, 2009 at 10:17 am said:

Excellent update…

BUT STILL NO CROSS-GAME VOICE/PARTYCHAT?!?

Why is this taking SO FREAKING LONG?

+ joostin on August 18th, 2009 at 10:17 am said:

This is a great addition to the firmware…dynamic themes is great. Been waiting for that one since it was announced in 2006 lol. Anyways, I hope there are some hidden features, but looking forward to september 1.

+ GameDreamer on August 18th, 2009 at 10:17 am said:

Kick ass! Great new features and fixes. Nice one, guys!

+ RichterNYR35 on August 18th, 2009 at 10:17 am said:

Whadda ya know, no cross game chat, i swear it is the one and only thing i ask for. Without it I have to rely on the awesome chat abilities of games like BF 1943

+ Delriach on August 18th, 2009 at 10:17 am said:

brilliant..

+ IGLOO05 on August 18th, 2009 at 10:17 am said:

Wow, these are some great additions for the firmware! What about cross game voice chat?

+ madcrabs on August 18th, 2009 at 10:17 am said:

That’s pretty cool. The only thing I can find to complain about is the PSN store icon under every catagory. Not sure I like that. Seems like store content should be in one spot.

+ ARog34 on August 18th, 2009 at 10:18 am said:

Woot! I love these free updates… keep them coming! :)

+ Atomika14 on August 18th, 2009 at 10:18 am said:

I want that LittleBigPlanet theme!

+ LukaX23 on August 18th, 2009 at 10:18 am said:

I <3 Sony!

+ lbmanuel1 on August 18th, 2009 at 10:18 am said:

I’ll keep asking, but, will we ever be able to delete trophies. Say i had a game didn’t like it and I gave it to someone or sold it. Can we delete the trophies from that game off the PS3. Weird I know, but it’s something I’ve always wondered.

+ ARog34 on August 18th, 2009 at 10:18 am said:

Omg, I might have been the first to read this, but look at the post board just EXPLODE!

+ Canuck4Life on August 18th, 2009 at 10:18 am said:

Fantastic job, guys! Great to see that you are continuing to support the PS3 so well.

Back to watching the live blog of your Gamescom conference!

+ Neil on August 18th, 2009 at 10:19 am said:

I love it!

+ TrueFFVIIFan on August 18th, 2009 at 10:19 am said:

Eric, when are you going to look into one obvious problem for video store: Subtitles? I would love to purchase these videos from PSN Video Store that have subtitles in them! Please get this done asap. Thanx!

+ Mobius_124 on August 18th, 2009 at 10:19 am said:

awesome update, cant wait for new Avatars!:)

now bring me voice messaging and Cross-game chat, and I will be a Happy camper!

+ TrueStoryGuy on August 18th, 2009 at 10:19 am said:

Terrific update, can’t wait to test out the dynamic themes and the “What’s New” section on the XMB.

+ emjayx on August 18th, 2009 at 10:19 am said:

YES CLOCK FIXED!!!!!!! where’s ingame chat? lol just kiddin

+ Gr00v3r06 on August 18th, 2009 at 10:19 am said:

Still would like Cross game voice chat.

+ issa3032 on August 18th, 2009 at 10:20 am said:

looks great but apparently cross-game chat will never be a reality :(

+ Kilo720 on August 18th, 2009 at 10:20 am said:

that a nice improvement but where cross game voice chat

+ HK1317 on August 18th, 2009 at 10:20 am said:

awesome love the update but i agree with revolutionary
PREMIUM AVATARS

+ StalkingSilence on August 18th, 2009 at 10:20 am said:

Does the analog clock spin when content is loading? That is an interesting implementation

+ EmperorKorea on August 18th, 2009 at 10:20 am said:

“In addition, when you press the PS button, the battery life indicator will no longer cover up the clock. ”

FINALLY. Now was that so hard?

+ HongoXIII on August 18th, 2009 at 10:20 am said:

Oh man. This is so great. I cannot wait!!! :D

+ dehumanizer_666 on August 18th, 2009 at 10:21 am said:

wouldn’t the dynamic theme cause the xmb to lag/not run smoothly?

+ alba17 on August 18th, 2009 at 10:21 am said:

Hey Eric, I have a legitimate question for you. Is this animated theme additions will be made available for regular users/customers (giving like the theme maker/sdk an update?) or that is only reserved to developers? I would love to make use of those news things but since you have premium themes rolling out I guess it’ll be limited to that, could you clear some light on this point?

Thank you!

+ Fatal_Bullet on August 18th, 2009 at 10:21 am said:

NICE LEMPEL AND PSN TEAM!

+ grumblybear on August 18th, 2009 at 10:21 am said:

Could the PlayStation Store have been mentioned any more?
Seems like this new XMB sure is focused on the store a lot. And premium avatars?

You finally give us firmware 3.0, and the most you can do functionality-wise is a status indicator in the corner? Everything else is just more ways to show off purchasable content.

+ DA_SHREDDER on August 18th, 2009 at 10:21 am said:

Want my opinion? This is got to be the dumbest firmware update Ive ever seen. Not only is it a slap in the face to us Hardcore gamers, but you keep on adding fuel to the fire that is now turning me more and more towards the 360 for all of my online needs. Cross game chat is the only thing we want right now. That should be your top priority.

I guess I can just disconnect my ps3 from the router and just hook it up to my bedroom tv? Playing single player games is all that my ps3 is good for at this point.

+ sxpacks on August 18th, 2009 at 10:21 am said:

“What’s New section” is a great idea
but not sure you need recently played games there.

Any update on the ability to add folders and organize your content?

+ lonewolf1994 on August 18th, 2009 at 10:21 am said:

no in game chat? :| this more looks like a 2.9 not a 3.0… come on

+ LicensedDealer on August 18th, 2009 at 10:21 am said:

Good update, but man I still want the in game voice chat and game invite.

+ mike3648 on August 18th, 2009 at 10:22 am said:

Meh-no cross game chat or backwards compatability. This is poor update. Waste of time

+ ski_bumm on August 18th, 2009 at 10:22 am said:

Absolutely wicked! The biggest problem I have with the PS3 is the difficulty messaging/communicating with friends. Friendsdidn’t even know that they’d received msgs from me weeks later!

Another great step that has me loving my PS3. I’d love to see even more improvments to the friends list, communication methods, and most of all inviting friends to games via XMB.

+ NeVeR__GoNe on August 18th, 2009 at 10:22 am said:

the best thing is about the more avatars

finally sony