No Man's Sky

PlayStation 3 Firmware (v3.00) Update

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Aug 18, 2009 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

Hi everyone, PlayStation 3 (PS3) firmware update (v3.00) adds a number of great new features that we’re excited to share with you. The latest update incorporates changes that improve navigation on your PS3. First, you’ll notice some cosmetic changes to the design of the XMB (Xross Media Bar). We’ve enhanced the look and feel of the XMB so that it’s easier and even more intuitive to use. We’ve also added network improvements and personalization options to help enhance your PS3 experience.

Additional highlights from update 3.00 include:

• “What’s New” – The “Information Board” will be replaced with a “What’s New” section, which allows you to enjoy interactive PlayStation news every time you start the PS3 system. Located under the PlayStation Network icon, “What’s New” displays the latest and greatest game, video, PlayStation Network and PlayStation news and releases, as well as your recently played games, in a sleek, new animated format.
  • Status Indicator – In the top right corner we’ve added an indicator bar, which displays your user icon, friend icon, the number of friends you have online and a small message icon to let you know if you have any new messages. The indicator also includes a scrolling ticker that features the latest news from PlayStation Network. In addition, when you press the PS button, the battery life indicator will no longer cover up the clock.
  • Friends List – Now your PlayStation Network friends will appear in a slightly redesigned format on your Friends List. Also, messages will now be viewable from each of your friends’ respective profiles.
  • PlayStation Store Shortcuts – We’ve added a handy shortcut icon to the PlayStation Store under both the Game and Video categories so you can access the latest content quickly and easily.
  • Personalization – Personalize your PS3 with new dynamic custom themes and avatars. Dynamic themes as well as free and premium avatars will be available through PlayStation Store. A dynamic theme takes your screen to a whole new level as it incorporates animated objects into the background.
  • Trophies – Showcasing your hard earned trophies just got better. Update 3.00 gives game developers the ability to modify how they display trophies for add-on content. Base and add-on game trophies will continue to be combined into a single list so you can see where you stand in a game as a whole. Within that list, trophies will be broken out into subcategories—base trophies and add-on trophies—that way, you can easily view the percentage of your base game trophy collection, and separately track your trophy progress in add-on packs. Look for this enhancement to be included in upcoming games.

To get a preview of what’s coming in update 3.00, check out the video below:

We’re looking forward to releasing firmware update 3.00 soon. As always, we appreciate your feedback.

1,986 Comments

PAGE 1 38 39 40

1951

+ USER4DEMO on September 6th, 2009 at 9:20 pm said:

and chuck her in the floppy disk drive for readable content and do a disk cleanup when im done

1952

+ USER4DEMO on September 6th, 2009 at 9:22 pm said:

i wipe the god damn floor with your mothaz 1080p progressive booty like a microsoft broomstick then i run a disk cleanup

1953

+ USER4DEMO on September 6th, 2009 at 9:22 pm said:

on that high def azz

1954

+ malvadesa on September 7th, 2009 at 8:11 am said:

PS2 was a great console with superb games and I was surprised how Sony kicked Nintendo out of the world. So I’d bought PS3 instead of Xbox360 because the games and believing Sony would kick Microsoft out of the world too but I am very disappointed now… I invested 500 bucks on a great console but with awful firmware and the updates and XMB are so flaw… Xbox360 has a worse hardware but its community features and easily interface addicted its owners… WAKE UP SONY!! DO UPDATES FOR WHO PLAY GAMES!!

1955

+ malvadesa on September 7th, 2009 at 8:15 am said:

PS3 firmware 3.0 = Windows Vista

1956

+ MQCA on September 7th, 2009 at 9:04 am said:

Let’s be honest, Sony are only interested in making money – not in making their customers happy. This update sucks!
Premium themes and premium avatars! who cares? (other than the Sony bank manager).
Cross game chatting and the option to play your own audio whilst playing a game – now they’re features people want. But then, Sony won’t make any money out of that will they!

It’s garbage Sony, fix it! :o(

1957

+ teriyakitexas on September 7th, 2009 at 9:46 am said:

Extra store shortcuts? When I scroll over to games, the Playstation store is not what I want to come up first. At least give us the option to turn it off.

1958

+ thuglove68 on September 7th, 2009 at 10:58 am said:

come on sony get on the ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1959

+ USER4DEMO on September 7th, 2009 at 2:26 pm said:

like i said earlier on page 39…this has been a disgraceful update and has become the downfall of sony computer entertainment inc. their products no longer entertain/satisfy anyone because the whole sony team are acting as there are only 5 year old kids living in this world

1960

+ sPiN-dIzY on September 7th, 2009 at 2:54 pm said:

I’d like to know when the patch for this update comes out. freezes and crashes a few times a day

1961

+ izhkul on September 7th, 2009 at 3:04 pm said:

I own ps3 a year and half now and use it as a media center and BD player.

I started to think about selling PS3 and buying PC with Linux and BD-RW.

Reason is simple – PS3 soft dev. is moving not in the direction I would like.

I have couple of requests I consider urgent for people like me:

1. Can you make streaming .WMV playback? .flv playback is OK, but .WMV network broadcasting is more common. And, what about Silverlight format?

2. Very short one — REMOVE THE SCROLLING TICKER IN V3, PLEASE!

1962

+ zyxses on September 7th, 2009 at 6:08 pm said:

How hard is it to update the browser? It’s an absolute disaster and it needn’t be.

So many website compatibility issues makes it a nightmare to use.

As for update 3.0? I think the people have spoken. Maybe the tastes of the West should override those of the local (Japanese) market. SONY don’t really need more bad press. SONY can say they “listen” to us all they want… it’s actions we need.
Three years and still no cross-game chat? I don’t think SONY/PS3 can
handle it!?

I can live with 3.0, but I’ve never seen so much SONY hate for an update. I wonder if SONY know where they are heading because I’m lost?

1963

+ Ivxxoni on September 7th, 2009 at 6:24 pm said:

I updated the day 3.00 was released and I haven’t had any problems at all. Furthermore, I was actually happy to get dual audio out (HDMI + Fiber optic)as an option. It’s an era of evolving technology, people. Primatives didn’t complain when fire came along and wasn’t all they thought it should be. If the PS3 isn’t making you happy, stop playing with fire.
And quit crying!

1964

+ FARKEN1337 on September 7th, 2009 at 11:00 pm said:

Whilst these updates bring us nifty new features “..litterally ‘Glitter’” which most people find amusing and such, but what about people who want “real” updates like AD2P Compatibility and USB Audio Out!! These features would actually be GREAT for people with USB Gaming Headsets and or AD2P Compatible Sony Headphones with Mic like the Sony DB21GBT Headset.

1965

+ Meat_Samich on September 8th, 2009 at 5:41 am said:

Are you serious SONY??? This update BLOWS! All in all most people want a GAMING SYSTEM! You did nothing for the gamers. No multiple sign in on the same console still??wtf?? We still cant use our own avatars?LAME! No music while gaming? Weak friends list with no options. Still can only put a whole 10 letters in your status comment.. CMON, these little things are a must in a gaming system! How can sony be so blind to what the gamers want! This update was ALL ABOUT MONEY and Advertising! Good job Sony, im sure you will have 500,000 more views an hour on the PS store. :( Its a sad time to have a ps3. The Multiple user sign in and Friends Network for xbox is making sony look like beginners!

1966

+ Meat_Samich on September 8th, 2009 at 5:47 am said:

Seriously… look at that cheesy avatar. Looks like a green turd. Why cant we use our PS Home avatars? THATS HOW IT SHOULD BE YOU IDIOTS! Why can i not sign in with a friend onto the same ps3 and run a game of Nazi Zombies with our names on, collecting trophies? BS!!! I had faith in Sony to get Sh!! going but this update has killed the it.

1967

+ tocobilly on September 9th, 2009 at 4:43 am said:

Last night i updated the Firmware and i thought: “WTF”.

What is going on? It just looks ugly and seems very uncomfortable. Why such a big type? Why not have the option to make it smaller? Why Boxes around every friend? Why a frame around the Infos in the upper right corner? It just takes all the air out?

I don´t understand it and i don´t like it. The Design before was so elegant.

PLEASE: include an option in the next update, that we can choose between old and new firmware.
PLEASE.

1968

+ elpepo17 on September 9th, 2009 at 1:25 pm said:

I Currently Own A PS3 And Have Many Different Themes. Sometime The Plain White Font Becomes Hard To See. I Was Just Wondering If There Is Any Way You Could Make It So Users Could Change Their Font Colour. I Am A Huge Fan Of Sony, So I Know You Guys Are Capable Of Virtually Everything. Anyways Just A Thought On A Potential Update.

1969

+ Mazda_18 on September 9th, 2009 at 5:15 pm said:

I Like the update but will we have to pay for the new avatars?
coz i would really like a prototype avater :)

1970

+ GUNSOFDAPATRIOTS on September 9th, 2009 at 10:49 pm said:

3.0 is HORRIBLE

UGLY GREY FRIENDS BOXES

Oversized font and icons

Purple start up screen

WTF SONY

1971

+ jn76 on September 10th, 2009 at 12:27 am said:

Not to happy about not being able to turn off the ticker (3.0) on the upper right hand corner…but everything else is awesome. Also.. Is there any chance on the next firmware update they add the ability to add a secondary parental control passwords with { square, triangle, circle, X ,up,down,left,right,L1,R1,etc }… that doesn’t show up on the screen. Currently every time I want to turn on/off the parental control passwords, everyone has to leave the room.-

1972

+ Soulreaver1001 on September 10th, 2009 at 6:58 am said:

I would like see a update that gives the PS3 subport for nitflix, I heard rumors of sony working a deal.

1973

+ CitizenInsane91 on September 11th, 2009 at 6:22 am said:

Sorry for posting here, but there’s no way to post on official european website and ‘contact us’ on US website is bugged.

Regarding firmware 3.0:

1) Grey background for friend list is taking up so much unneccesary space and is visually so unappealing ==> Transparent background was much nicier and coherent with all other icons!

2) I really don’t like the text to disappear for unselected elements ==> white blinking text for selected element and grey text for others was just fine.

3) “Clock, online friends, messages, etc..”. It is so eye attracting, clock information is repeated twice (analog and digital), unnecessary avatar of myself + big and unappeling white rectangle ==> I would had prefer something more toned down / faded out which is only visually constrasting for new events (e.g. new messages, friends connecting, etc…)

Hope you won’t mind too much as, like any customer, I’m only writing for complaining, not when things are going fine! ;o

1974

+ Janglez on September 12th, 2009 at 5:31 pm said:

I have a few questions im not sure have been asked before regarding music on PS3. I was curious as to why when i play music on my PS3 and and scroll over to the Playstation Store and click on it my Music stops ? i noticed also when i click on a friends name to view there trophy card or in any part of the settings in the XMB the music also stops any idea’s why this happens?

1975

+ Janglez on September 12th, 2009 at 5:47 pm said:

Next BIG update should have .

1. multiple simultaneous profile sign in – “whats the point of having multiple accounts, multiple controllers and multiplayer games without being able to in sign a second profile for your friend ? “

1976

+ DJplute on September 12th, 2009 at 8:37 pm said:

Downloaded music: you use to be able to play music and still search the XMB – you guys took that away.. why? bring it back!!!!

1977

+ RealDraken on September 13th, 2009 at 7:32 am said:

My girlfriend just commented, without me having said anything about the new update, “why are the icons and text so big blurry and ugly?”.

This is pissing me off every time I turn on my PS3 and I’ve found another new “feature”: the names of files and folders above and below the one highlighted disappear after a couple of seconds. Which idiot came up with these braindead design ideas??
It makes it harder to navigate through collections because you have to keep moving to be able to see the list. STUPID!!!

If these issues aren’t resolved or firmware rolled back to 2.8 in the next week, I think I’m going to have to quit using my PS3 as a mediacenter and build a small PC with BD drive instead. Sony are you listening? You are going to be bleeding customers if firmware 3.0 is not removed ASAP!!

1978

+ linear_logic on September 13th, 2009 at 8:49 am said:

Unfortunately, with firmware 3.0, the game Uncharted keeps freezing and isn’t playable… I hope someone is working on a fix.

1979

+ DogtownRaptor on September 13th, 2009 at 12:27 pm said:

erm guys i not sure if ur aware but thanks to this suppossedly i cnt play uncharted or motorsport!!!! i really want to get rid of this firmware as it reallly doent make all that much difference a chat which i carried over into game, so two players can talk n play seperate games at the same time wud be gd but this……well i has caused my ps3 to freeze hundreds of times!!! yh bigs thanx guys great job! :/

1980

+ Ashy828 on September 13th, 2009 at 4:38 pm said:

dont know if this has been said… (to lazy to read all comments) but 3.0= worst cuz cant use white controller… >:(

fix it Sony…

1981

+ technolinguist on September 13th, 2009 at 7:20 pm said:

I use my PS3 mainly as a Blu-Ray player, and this firmware update has made all my movies unplayable. Anyone have an idea how to fix it? Also, is it possible to revert to the older version of the firmware?

Thank you.

1982

+ ayembee on September 14th, 2009 at 7:18 am said:

ouch. this update has completely broken several major features (and the UI decisions are utterly baffling) :(

sound! how can you break the sound in GAMES on a gaming console? if i turn it on i get the opening orchestra tune-up sound, but if i then launch a game i get… NO SOUND. if, instead of launching the game straight away, i waggle the menu from side to side for 5 seconds or so the sound comes back and i can then launch the game. no idea how that one got past quality control, but it’ more than a little amateurish to say “before launching the game on your $500 console, ‘scroll the XMB menu from side-to-side until sound comes back before launching the game’”

media server functionality — TOTALLY AND UTTERLY BROKEN. worked like a charm until this update. now it only shows folders, but no files!! and on earth is with the vanishing text on the UI?? obviously nobody who knows anything about interface design was allowed actual input here, or that idea would have been unceremoniously squased on the head with no mercy…

i hate to say it, but this is an awful, awful update. clearly the development process is in URGENT need of quality control improvements to stop crap like this actually getting out in the wild.

1983

+ Gincairn on September 14th, 2009 at 9:45 am said:

I must be one of the few who actually like this update,

I prefer the friends/messages box at the top as it was always by sheer fluke that I found out I had a message.

I like the new look friends list as it saves me having to highlight each of my friends to tell me what game they’re playing.

I’m not worried about the ad ticker as I was used to the original scroller that was there anyway.

Dynamic themes are a nice way of showing off the XMB (loving the Wipeout one)

If I had to gripe about it at all, the only thing I don’t like is that the original playstation 3 splash screen when starting a game has been removed, now it just cuts to black and I’m still at that stage where it feels like something has gone wrong with the game at that point.

I’ve had some minor freezes on a couple of games and some slowdown on fallout 3 but I know this will all be patched soon so I don’t see any reason to complain.

Lastly I would have liked to see the Internet Radio software make it to the PS3 but that’s not a big deal as I still have a PSP and/or winamp for these things.

All in all I think it’s a nice update Sony team, thank you.

1984

+ MrKazuomi on September 14th, 2009 at 7:36 pm said:

PS3 Firmware 3.01 is available!

1985

+ RealDraken on September 15th, 2009 at 7:49 am said:

#1984: A step on the way for the uncharted gamers perhaps, but unfortunately does nothing with regards to the major design flaws…

1986

+ vault24 on September 16th, 2009 at 6:56 pm said:

where are the new avatars as stated?

PAGE 1 38 39 40