PS4-The Order

Digital Comics Store for PSP Coming in December

Grace Chen's Avatar + Posted by Grace Chen on Aug 19, 2009 // Sr. Director, PlayStation Store

Hi Everyone –

You may have heard the recent announcement out of gamescom that digital comics for the PSP are coming to PlayStation Network (for the U.S.). This December, you will be able to purchase and download from over 1000 digital comics on PlayStation Store (on the PSP and Media Go). We’ve partnered with one of the leading comic publishers, Marvel Entertainment, to bring you the biggest names in comics, including Spider-Man, X-Men and the Fantastic Four. Now you are able to view graphic novels for bite-sized entertainment on demand and on the go.

Digital Comics on PSN

We’ll be adding an additional comics tab to the PlayStation Store for PSP, so you’ll see different storefronts for your PSP games, downloadable movies & TV shows, and for comics. Once you download a comic, you’ll read it through the digital reader for PSP which has an Autoflow feature that lets you zoom in and out and move from frame to frame on each page. It’s really a fantastic way to read and view the comics, because it keeps the integrity of the original print comic.

I’ll be back in December to give you a demo of the new “comic store” and the reader for digital comics and graphic novels.

Digital Comics on PSN

PAGE 1 2 3

+ BESTINTHEWEST on August 19th, 2009 at 6:03 am said:

wat

+ XxC-losxX on August 19th, 2009 at 6:05 am said:

Nice! Can’t wait :) One question remains, what’s the price? :D

Grace Chen's Avatar

+ Grace Chen on August 19th, 2009 at 12:37 pm said:

We\’ll be announcing prices for digital comics in the near future.

+ MainEv3nt_69 on August 19th, 2009 at 6:09 am said:

so no Canada?

Grace Chen's Avatar

+ Grace Chen on August 19th, 2009 at 12:38 pm said:

No Canada at launch.

+ JumpMan33 on August 19th, 2009 at 6:10 am said:

Too much epic PlayStation news in one day, it’s kind of hard to keep up.

Anyhow, I think this is a great idea and hope to more stuff like this in the psp’s future.

Also, are we going to able to view the comics we buy on the ps3 as well?

+ FE_RR on August 19th, 2009 at 6:11 am said:

this increase the possibilty to read pdfs on the psp???…that would be f k ng awesome!

+ SILV3R_ on August 19th, 2009 at 6:16 am said:

Great Canada is not part of North America again.

Question: Why let us take the “Survey” for this? Then finding out that Canada is not part of it ‘Yet’.

Same for Video. I know it’s something to do with Laws. But At least give us an update.

Europe getting the Video download soon and Canada still pending. (or did I miss something)

+ MiltonMafia on August 19th, 2009 at 6:18 am said:

@3
“You may have heard the recent announcement out of gamescom that digital comics for the PSP are coming to PlayStation Network (for the U.S.).”
Its in the first sentence.

I am Canadian. I don’t want to hear the other Canadians whining about it not coming to Canada. It will come when it comes. Same with the video service. You whiners are sounding like children. Shut up already.

GEEZ!

+ MiltonMafia on August 19th, 2009 at 6:19 am said:

@6
GET A LIFE. OR A BLOCKBUSTER MEMBERSHIP!

+ TheTwelve on August 19th, 2009 at 6:26 am said:

YOU GUYS RULE!!

Perhaps now I’ll be able to stop my house from slowly being taken over by comics, if I can have them in digital format.

Please make sure there is plenty of Iron Man, guys!

+ SOOPERGOOMAN187 on August 19th, 2009 at 6:28 am said:

WHY DOES SONY HATE CANADA?
ALSO MiltonMafia WHY BE A JERK ALL YOUR LIFE?

You know when you get down to it, there should be no reason why we can’t have the video store and the comic store. We get all the same tv shows and movies from you guys and alot of them are MADE HERE IN CANADA. What the Hell Sony.

NO LOVE FOR CANADA, Thanks for this update but MY PS3 will not be getting UPDATED FOR THIS USELESS GARBAGE UPDATE WHEN IT COMES OUT. Why should I bother, none of the Good Features are going to be available here. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE NORTH AMERICAN FREE TRADE ACT? Did somebody forget to see you your copy. I’ll fax it over today…

+ LokeSTL on August 19th, 2009 at 6:32 am said:

What a waste of time. Too bad resources don’t go to solutions that we need. Like:

1) PS2 Compatibility in the PS3.
2) PSP Compatibility in the PS3.
3) More games on your GAME CONSOLE & PORTABLE.

+ SPARDA on August 19th, 2009 at 6:34 am said:

This may get me back into reading comics. Nice additions for sure
My only question….is this limited to PSP only??? why not also make it sharable with the PS3??

Thanks

SPARDA

+ LokeSTL on August 19th, 2009 at 6:34 am said:

4) And getting Canada taken care of before the completely lose faith in the PlayStation brand.

+ MiltonMafia on August 19th, 2009 at 6:41 am said:

lol supergooman

Mission accomplished.

+ HanSolo on August 19th, 2009 at 6:48 am said:

will star wars comics be there?
and will this service be available to us forgotten canadians?

+ RandySore on August 19th, 2009 at 6:49 am said:

Super Cool, I guess readers in the Go are happy!

+ MGSTigerFox on August 19th, 2009 at 6:54 am said:

So, I suppose I have to ask this – but, will we be able to purchase any translated manga, perchance? =) THAT would be super incredibly amazingly sweet! =)

+ Dingdoo on August 19th, 2009 at 6:55 am said:

Ahem? CANADA?

+ Stoffinator on August 19th, 2009 at 6:59 am said:

Can you clarify what “US” is? Is that just the US or is that also what is known as North America?

+ allblu on August 19th, 2009 at 7:02 am said:

this is cool although i prefer manga.

any word on the music section? i really want the inFamous soundtrack but i don’t use itunes.

+ SpiritThief on August 19th, 2009 at 7:03 am said:

Lame. Give us a reader for use with our Marvel Digital Sub.

PS3 and PSP.

+ Deadmendocry on August 19th, 2009 at 7:04 am said:

Partner with DC Comics, bring it to Europe and consider me sold!

+ Jetup on August 19th, 2009 at 7:05 am said:

*kneels down*
Sony, will you marry me??
I can get my games, tv shows, movies, ps1 games, and now comics?????

You have filled my life
It’s like we click or something….

+ Stellore on August 19th, 2009 at 7:07 am said:

Hey thanks for the info Grace, I only have one question. If you already subscribe to Marvel’s online comics via marvel.com will the account carry over to the PSN network (meaning I won’t have 2 pay twice for the same content)?

Grace Chen's Avatar

+ Grace Chen on August 19th, 2009 at 12:44 pm said:

Hi. Marvel.com and PSN are two separate services, so there is no \”carry over\”. PSN digital comics allows you to download and view the comics directly on your PSP.

+ Jim777 on August 19th, 2009 at 7:09 am said:

I cant see the image :O

+ ptom_lover on August 19th, 2009 at 7:11 am said:

i don’t care too much about comics

but if you screw canada out of those apps
i’ll be very upset

+ hife on August 19th, 2009 at 7:18 am said:

Very cool feature. Ignore the complainers!

+ l_6R3ND3L_l on August 19th, 2009 at 7:20 am said:

Great Concept

but for PSP only?
why not have your collection on the PS3?

what format will they be in?
(lets hope it will be universal)

Hey Sony! give Canada the love they deserve!

+ ShaperOfForm on August 19th, 2009 at 7:23 am said:

Is the digital reader an application on the psp that supports a particular file type?
Like .cbz or .cbr file extensions?
Will we be able to put homemade comics on the reader similar to how we can put homemade movies and music on the psp?

+ IceCold on August 19th, 2009 at 7:26 am said:

This is interesting.

+ DonnyG on August 19th, 2009 at 7:27 am said:

This is really cool news. I used to be an avid comic book reader but the closest comic shop is now 45 minutes away. I hope this isn’t too expensive.

+ remanutd5 on August 19th, 2009 at 7:34 am said:

this is off topic but Jeff i hope we get all the GamesCon videos this thursday , i dont get it how others show all these great videos about PS3 exclusives and not even 1 here on the blog or in the store, man i just saw a GT5 gameplay video ..WOW absolutely STUNNING , Heavy Rain looks impressive too and Uncharted 2 is gonna be EPIC , i havent seen a GOD OF WAR 3 video yet but i do hope to see 1 today lol

+ Sindred on August 19th, 2009 at 7:35 am said:

This is really cool, too bad I read more DC comics than Marvel, so it will have to evolve into other companies before I fully support it.

+ jasoncourt on August 19th, 2009 at 7:37 am said:

Cool stuff. I’m very interested to see if this will be available on the PS3 via PSN as well.

+ CrystalX3D on August 19th, 2009 at 7:43 am said:

@29
I’m pretty sure the format won’t be cbz or cbr since those files are just zip/rar files with jpegs inside. There’s no information on the progression of the comic.

According to the video and description, these comics are optimized for the small screen, so they zoom in on each cell of the page in the correct order.

But yes, compatibility with cbr/cbz would be awesome.

+ KazeEternal on August 19th, 2009 at 7:45 am said:

@11
You’re being a little hard on the comic book section of the store. I can see this feature actually getting used by people on PSP or even PS3 when it releases and I think it’s good sony went out and made this happen. IT’s something the competitors don’t have and its useful.

I personally wouldn’t use it, but I can agree there are features that are getting money that BC with PS2 and PSP could be achieved with. HOME so far is a failure in my eyes. I don’t care if 7.4 million currently use it. It’s a waste of money and does very little to enhance the PS3 experience if at all. I would have had the money for this spent on the XMB or on other aspects of the PS3 (cross game chat and BC). Hell even improving their browser and contracting with Hulu for an XMB icon would have been awesome.

So if you need to point fingers HOME is the bad guy not this stuff.

+ ferniefern on August 19th, 2009 at 7:48 am said:

This is a great addition to the psp! Any chance for other literature to be available for the digital reader, you know for those of us not solely interested in comics?

+ mknightstalkerx on August 19th, 2009 at 7:49 am said:

sony getting better all the time.

+ Zezzler on August 19th, 2009 at 7:50 am said:

WTF!? Canada has to wait for this too!? THIS IS BLASPHEMY!!!!! PLEASE give me a good reason why we cant have this too!!! PLEASE? and if we cant have it now, will we ever get it?

just ridiculous…

+ zombie9 on August 19th, 2009 at 7:52 am said:

I was just thinking about this Funny :)

+ IZ779 on August 19th, 2009 at 7:53 am said:

Why the heck can’t Canada Get This!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Playstation
You’re a pal!!!!
(carcasm)

+ dulcediana on August 19th, 2009 at 7:58 am said:

Sony’s John Koller think we don’t want BC.

lets express some feedback and claim .

WE WANT BC!

copy and paste this.

+ Gr00v3r06 on August 19th, 2009 at 7:59 am said:

I thought this was PSP and PS3. :( It would be nice to have this work for both so I can choose when I’m at home or on the go.

+ cowboyd21 on August 19th, 2009 at 8:02 am said:

great news sony i may have 2 get a psp go

+ locobannans on August 19th, 2009 at 8:02 am said:

this is sick might make go back to reading comics. would be sick if they had manga

+ blackmajic13 on August 19th, 2009 at 8:05 am said:

@11:

Why worry about playing PS2 games on a PS3?? The system is made so you can play the newer games, not the older ones. If you want to play PS2 games, GET A PS2! (Or keep your old one in shape) And have you not seen all the exclusives and third-party games coming out this year and next?

+ Korbei83 on August 19th, 2009 at 8:08 am said:

Junk.

+ SOOPERGOOMAN187 on August 19th, 2009 at 8:11 am said:

I might just hav eto get an xbox now. atleast then I CAN BUY MOVIES IN CANADA!

Is that what you want Sony, for your loyal fans who have been buying Sony Branded product for 20 years to move over to Microsux?
My tv, my 2 short wave radios, my cellphone, my 2 computers, my Vaio laptop, 2 mini disc players, 1st anti shock disc man, 8 walkmans, a working BetaMax.

Should I now sell it all and invest in the competition?

It seems to me that you want me to give up on Sony otherwise us Canadians would have the exact same offerings as our Brothers and Sisters to the South, Yes America I mean You.

This is just an appalling state of affairs.

+ inuyasha5400 on August 19th, 2009 at 8:11 am said:

every ps3/psp should have every feature like every other one

+ SOOPERGOOMAN187 on August 19th, 2009 at 8:17 am said:

I bet no one in Canada gets a MAG Beta, so far ALL my American friends have…

PAGE 1 2 3