Minecraft PS4

Gamescom Virtual Booth Tour: MAG

Chris Morell's Avatar + Posted by Chris Morell on Aug 20, 2009 // Senior Social Media Specialist

On day one of Gamescom Cologne, even the jet lag of a 40-hour day couldn’t keep me from stumbling my way over to MAG in the PlayStation booth. There, I found Seth Luisi, Director of Development at SCEA, who walked us through a 128-player “Acquisition” mode Valor map that’s playable on the show floor.

Check out the video, and don’t forget that Qore subscribers will have the chance to get in on the MAG Official Public Beta on September 17!

153 Comments   1 Reply

+ Odoyle-rulez on August 20th, 2009 at 3:30 pm said:

wow really you are trying to screw us by making us get a sub to qore just to try it. i dont think so seth. no one trusts you anymore.

+ Senior_Gomez on August 20th, 2009 at 3:39 pm said:

I just bought a PS3 last night, and I got it because the good excusives started to pile up(avid 360 player here). One of the main games I want is this: MAG. I love campaigns, but this online mutltiplayer experience is exactly what I’m looking for: big maps, squads, platoons, vehicles. I just hope there are fyable helicopter and jets(with a dumbed down controller interface like the in the “Batle Field” series).

+ Senior_Gomez on August 20th, 2009 at 3:40 pm said:

@ Odoye-rulez: He said annual Qore subscribers PRIOR TO SEPTEMBER SEVENTEENTH. As in: if you sign up for Qore now, still no BETA.

+ CHAOTIC- on August 20th, 2009 at 3:53 pm said:

well im already a qore subscriber so ill be hitting playing the beta 24/7 when i get it although i have a few questions, ive heard a rumor that the qore subscribers will actually get it sep.7th and everybody else will get it on the 17th

+ Odoyle-rulez on August 20th, 2009 at 3:54 pm said:

uh senior gomez. having to sub period is bullcrap. if they think they can test the servers like that on a game so big they are sadly mistaken.

+ Killah28 on August 20th, 2009 at 3:56 pm said:

It’s not really Seth’s fault, it’s actually Sony’s fault Socom turned out so bad. It had a low budget and a new developer behind it. Zipper still owns Socom but they really had nothing more to do with Confrontation other than putting their logo on the box. But seeing how mag is, it makes me wonder what Socom “could” have been.
I bought my Ps3 knowing one day we would get the next great next-gen Socom game and even with the one we got I at least hoped that we’d get more/better post release support. We have so many FPS games on the market and Sococm was Sony’s bread and butter and they sold all the hardcore fans that put the Playstion online on the map. The Socom vets are the reason PSN exists today but we got screwed over. Modern Warfare 2 WILL be better than this game and Sony shot themselves in the foot for taking advantage of the Socom fan-base. MAG could be fun and great and lag free, but it’s still not Socom end of story.

+ Thrasher20 on August 20th, 2009 at 4:05 pm said:

This game I really want!

+ Hobbz- on August 20th, 2009 at 4:07 pm said:

@ #9 C-DaBurna-B

LOL… nice

+ befear on August 20th, 2009 at 4:14 pm said:

yaya ill get the mag beta before my brithday on the 18th!!

+ mike1318 on August 20th, 2009 at 4:14 pm said:

I was playing mag durring the demo :)

+ Jimal23 on August 20th, 2009 at 4:17 pm said:

MAG looks awesome. Wish I was in GAP though. Never got an invite.

+ pooksters on August 20th, 2009 at 4:20 pm said:

it looks like it’s going to be really good, espeacially with 256 people going at it, but what about those games that have only 20-30 people?? will there be smaller maps available, or will we be running around, shooting tumble weed??

+ Ninja-KiLLR on August 20th, 2009 at 5:15 pm said:

is there any other way to get the beta other then buying Qore supscribtion???

+ shelby07 on August 20th, 2009 at 5:16 pm said:

OMG, i wish i could get that beta… But i am very loyal to the ps3 and i love everything they do… THANKS GUYS

+ LN_MEXWARRIOR on August 20th, 2009 at 5:16 pm said:

SETH LUISI???? Really???

AFTER WHAT YOU DID TO SOCOM HELL NO IM NOT GETTING MAG!

+ dcelw540 on August 20th, 2009 at 5:19 pm said:

hey the 17 is my birthday can i get the beta as for a present? lol

+ trey4li4e17 on August 20th, 2009 at 6:09 pm said:

Ohhhh how come only Qore subscirbers get it… In Australia we don’t get Qore so can’t get into heaps of the things that they get… Maybe also include future betas with the Official Playstation Magazine Australia *hint hint*

Oh well mag looks awesome :)

+ C-DaBurna-B on August 20th, 2009 at 6:16 pm said:

Here’s a good one…

If you fix Socom Confrontation, I’ll buy MAG!!! Seriously we need about 13 more maps by Xmas SONY… get crackin!

+ Tommy-Cronin on August 20th, 2009 at 6:21 pm said:

grab a spine and start cracking crackkkk

+ KUSHman666 on August 20th, 2009 at 6:31 pm said:

DEATH TO SETH LOUIS FOR RUINING SOCOM!!!! dont let him ruin this game to >_>

+ stinkey on August 20th, 2009 at 6:49 pm said:

I noticed he’s not using a headset. so you can communicate your ideas,plans w/out using a headset?

+ WINNERS_CIRCLE24 on August 20th, 2009 at 7:03 pm said:

@11 jill you just said they have a chance to make it into the beta in hte paragraph above now u say everyone who is a sub to qore which one is it?

+ WINNERS_CIRCLE24 on August 20th, 2009 at 7:04 pm said:

@ 68 zipper didnt make slowcom confrontation that is slant six

+ WINNERS_CIRCLE24 on August 20th, 2009 at 7:06 pm said:

@9 confrontataion is slant six socom 2 and others were zipper get it right

+ bomba2812 on August 20th, 2009 at 7:17 pm said:

the people who think zipper made socom confrontation are idiots.

woooot i got invited into the beta

+ Indrux_12 on August 20th, 2009 at 8:15 pm said:

So will those of us already in the beta be able to continue participation when the public beta is released? If so will we keep our stats or will we have to redownload something?

+ Myke-Myke on August 20th, 2009 at 8:19 pm said:

Will MAG available to download over the PSN, will there be a bundle w/ the PS headset and will it be $39.99 like Socom?

+ John-Shooter on August 20th, 2009 at 8:27 pm said:

sorry after what happened with socom and r2′s beta im not buyin qore anymore

if im lucky i’ll find a site that gives codes away like i did with lbp beta .. way easier

i never recieved my qore r2 beta code and it took me like 2 weeks to recieve my socom beta code and i had like 4 days to play it

if i somehow do get into this beta i hope you guys dont do what naughtydog did and lock the beta to 1 system so i dont have to wait the stupid 24 hrs to play it on my other systems in my house

+ Hradekal on August 20th, 2009 at 8:31 pm said:

Hey Seth. You suck.

-A disgruntled SOCOM fan
(SOCOM 1 + 2 were perfect)

+ bc_r1da on August 20th, 2009 at 8:36 pm said:

only qore subscribers get in or do they jus get in way before every one else?

+ Ultra_Keyblade on August 20th, 2009 at 8:49 pm said:

I have a question. I’m annual subscriber to Qore. Do I have to get the code & download the public mag beta again If I’m already in the private beta?

+ Glock1973 on August 20th, 2009 at 9:16 pm said:

For all the haters out there. I feel your pain about Socom and the lies. I feel your pain that since you did not get beta code you are still stuck with broken games to play. All I can say is Zipper Has Followed The Socom shortcomings and IS MAKING a genre defining game. And if you do get the game have a dang headset and use it. You Will need it. Just runnig and gunnin won’t work. to big to go solo.

+ Glock1973 on August 20th, 2009 at 9:17 pm said:

Ultra… you will probably get code for both and lucky you may be able to share qore one with a friend. I don’t know but it seems like you may.

+ Army_of_Lefty on August 20th, 2009 at 9:21 pm said:

so if i get the annual subscription now i dont get in? and i heard the invites recently have been random by email. is this true too?

+ PERFECT-SHOOTER on August 20th, 2009 at 9:28 pm said:

i got my qore subscription on 8/2/08 thats last year august so i been a annual subscriber for a year now AN I LOVE QORE so far what i got from qore was TONS! of free home stuff over the year cool themes lots of free cool games like calling all cars an much more an best of all you get in on betas so far i been in the socom beta uncharted 2 an now m.a.g im buying my second year next week

+ Sniper5000 on August 20th, 2009 at 9:37 pm said:

MAG is looking good i am going to buy it

+ Glock1973 on August 20th, 2009 at 9:41 pm said:

They are somewhat random. I believe the register for a chance was more random than the actual you are in email. But the subscription is for the September release of “open” beta. Wich if you get it you are supposed to be “in” in September. Hope this will help too.

+ Element103 on August 20th, 2009 at 9:48 pm said:

Cant wait…EVERYBODY I GET MY PS3 ON SEPTEMBER 1st…(hopefully)

+ wasim007 on August 20th, 2009 at 9:52 pm said:

I am so pumped up for this game

256 player game only on PS3

+ wasim007 on August 20th, 2009 at 9:57 pm said:

looks awesome for a 256 player game

+ etur0 on August 20th, 2009 at 9:59 pm said:

@39 wrong there is allot on shooting in mag about 80% of it is and smaller maps lead to more spawn campers hell i don’t play online games if it doesn’t have more than 24 players playing any less is just boring

+ etur0 on August 20th, 2009 at 10:03 pm said:

@52 there are planes and choppers in mag but you can’t fly them

+ GibbilyNiga on August 20th, 2009 at 10:23 pm said:

wanna make a sale sony?

guarentee me that if i buy a subscription of qore that i will get into this beta

if i spend 25 bones on that show off i will get a beta?

+ gunner420 on August 20th, 2009 at 10:41 pm said:

oh yeah cant wait wooohoooo qore is gonna have a record year lol

+ Just4Socom on August 20th, 2009 at 11:57 pm said:

ahahahha for some reason when i look at this guy that lied to everyone with socom confrontation, now with his new wild hair look.

he reminds me of Ms Doubtfire.

+ ACDarkKnight on August 21st, 2009 at 2:49 am said:

If I read one more comment by idiots who don’t know that Zipper did NOT work on SOCOM for the PS3 it was Slant 6 my head is gunna explode. Do you guys know why people don’t take gamers seriously, it’s because you run your mouths off on message boards boycotting things you know nothing about, telling everyone how gay everything is and how bad a job people have done when you have done nothing yourself. I hope the people that have said the aforementioned things don’t buy MAG because I really want to enjoy it and not have to deal with all of you ass clowns. With that off my chest, this game looks awesome and I can’t wait for the beta! Zipper keep up the good work and dont worry about the uneducated comments. We all know you guys are working really hard making MAG the best warfare experience on the PS3 and I’m sure one day you will also show the way SOCOM should be done on the PS3 as well.

+ Racer3 on August 21st, 2009 at 2:56 am said:

From what I could see out of this video, if you put the visor of his repair tool on the left instead of the top, it looks just like the repair tool in Killzone 2. Not saying anything, but they look similar.

+ AlphaVirus2g on August 21st, 2009 at 6:43 am said:

I am just as excited as the next PS3 user but a part of me still wonders the time difference between COD4style killing mayhem and SOCOMMstyle time consuming objective hunting. I am not a huge FPS fan but if I am holding a gun in a game I expect to do some shooting; the video shows very little shooting.

I am still optimistic because of the large scale battles, but I hope the maps are scalable to the amount of people in the room.

+ superjunior76 on August 21st, 2009 at 7:44 am said:

Anyone else also think that the arm/weapon graphics/animations in the foreground look way below standard? Isn’t the player running a bit too fast? The HUD looks a bit messy…

End of bashing.
Still have my hopes up for this game.

+ StalkingSilence on August 21st, 2009 at 8:30 am said: