PS4 - Transistor

EyePet in Stores on November 17

Erin English's Avatar + Posted by Erin English on Aug 28, 2009 // Product Marketing Manager

Hi everyone! We have been talking about EyePet for quite some time now, and I’m happy to let everyone know that we now have a US release date for all you pet lovers who are anxious to get their hands-on EyePet. Just in time for the holidays, EyePet will be available in stores across North America beginning on November 17 for $39.99. For those of you who don’t have a PlayStation Eye, we will be offering a special bundle for $59.99, which will include EyePet and the PS Eye.

If you aren’t familiar with EyePet, it’s basically all the fun of owning a pet without the mess! Featuring next generation augmented reality, EyePet delivers an interactive lifelike, virtual pet right into your own living room using the PS Eye. He will respond and relate to movements in your own world. Pet him, and he will purr. Tickle him and he will laugh. Roll a ball to him and he will chase it. You get the point.

EyePet Screen 1

EyePet is also customizable, letting you modify fur length, color and pattern, as well as the ability to outfit your pet with more than 250 unique collectible items. Using the included “Magic Card,” owners can also bring drawings and objects to life by simply sketching things like an airplane or car, and make them your pet’s own three-dimensional toy.

EyePet Screen 2

Describing it is one thing. Seeing it is another. Please check out the video featuring Developer Nic Doucet giving a demonstration as to how EyePet works.

We’ll have more to come on EyePet between now and November. So make sure to check back with us here on the PSBlog.

+ ILOVEPLASTATION3 on August 28th, 2009 at 4:49 pm said:

Great game for kids! :)

+ hife on August 28th, 2009 at 4:59 pm said:

I’m definitely not the target demographic for this, but I’ll be getting it anyway!

+ aone_09 on August 28th, 2009 at 5:01 pm said:

Looks cool but there is only one issue! With xbox’s new interactive camera sytem on the horizon with so much more software that comes with it on the horizon is PS3 making a large enough leap forward with this seemingly very childish pet? Using the camera in everyday console-use to me would be more beneficial! Hypothetically like using it in shooters or even just turning on the console with a certain hand motion Hmmm? The possibilities!

+ KazeEternal on August 28th, 2009 at 5:06 pm said:

40 dollars is a bit much for a technology demo

+ wouldugo on August 28th, 2009 at 5:09 pm said:

Are there any plans to release this as a PSN download? I think this is very well suited for that type of release because this seems like the type of game that people would play for a few minutes daily. Furthermore, I assume that the majority of PS3 owners are young men, and I think this appeals to people who could be considered secondary PS3 users (e.g., children, girlfriends, and wives). I think people would be more interested in buying this if they could easily play it and not have to switch discs to do so.

I assume part of the reason you have not mentioned any PSN release is because of your ties to game retailers. But I think this game would sell much more if customers were given the option of downloading it (especially with firmware 3.0′s “what’s new” section, which could advertise this game and link directly to its PSN store page).

+ poweredbyzen on August 28th, 2009 at 5:17 pm said:

looks like more fun family time! :D

+ StrykerIsland on August 28th, 2009 at 5:19 pm said:

Buying this for my kids for Christmas. They love the trailer, I’ve watched it about a billion times.

+ Sindred on August 28th, 2009 at 5:22 pm said:

Very nice guys. Seriously, when MS showed the Natal, I couldn’t understand the reason why people were so amazed. Yes, it is great concept and yes, it does what it does well, but 4 years ago I was entertaining a bunch of kids in school with the PS2 and EyeToy, doing things that the Natal can only do somewhat better.

Now with the playstation eye that technology has been available for 2 years already, but here is the catch. Not enough people know about it because Sony doesn’t push it enough. Market this little guy for the Holidays showing all the things you just showed us and people will be wowed well before Natal comes out.

+ LRGKING on August 28th, 2009 at 5:23 pm said:

Hey!
Thats my birthday!
Sweeet!

+ jipmg on August 28th, 2009 at 5:29 pm said:

that video makes me want to get my kitten and play around with it

+ remanutd5 on August 28th, 2009 at 5:38 pm said:

lol my little nephew is gonna love it

+ mafecto on August 28th, 2009 at 5:52 pm said:

ha! you guys beat microsoft to project natal already! nice!

+ SkyNet003 on August 28th, 2009 at 5:55 pm said:

Creepy… :S

+ czakhary on August 28th, 2009 at 6:00 pm said:

Pretty cool

+ tetsou9shima on August 28th, 2009 at 6:16 pm said:

My kids can’t wait for this game. Looks great. They ask me almost everyday if it’s going to come out tomorrow.

To all you tough guys who secretly want this game. Just get it and say you needed the pseye for the new motion controller. We won’t tell anyone. Just think, after killing hundreds of people on COD you can take a break and take care of your little pet. :D

+ MoneyMaker110 on August 28th, 2009 at 6:19 pm said:

nice bundle, i might pick up two. one for my ps3 and anther for my brother and his kids. i’ve been wanting the pseye. i’m thinking it’s not download only because it needs that card.

+ gamemasta114 on August 28th, 2009 at 6:36 pm said:

Wow, thats one of the coolest and most innovative things i’ve ever seen in a game.

+ CherylRose on August 28th, 2009 at 6:43 pm said:

Yay! I already have a playstation eye. Finally a good game I will buy for it.

+ BigBoiBalu on August 28th, 2009 at 7:11 pm said:

I’ll get it. My kids will love it. Great job

+ Solbaid on August 28th, 2009 at 7:24 pm said:

even though i love this idea and have been awaiting it since last year when it was first shown its a tad disappointing for the price tag which has deterred me from actually getting this now and they could make it a psn game and do something like Marvel vs Capcom 2 and just make a case w/ a code and put the card in it but i just cant see paying $40ish for this and i agree with some others the ps eye is starting to feel like the eye toy to me and its just collecting dust

Erin English's Avatar

+ Erin English on August 31st, 2009 at 11:37 am said:

Stayed tuned for more games that use the PS Eye, this is just the beginning…

+ Keebzerz on August 28th, 2009 at 7:37 pm said:

Could they not create a better quality video than this?

+ brent14 on August 28th, 2009 at 7:44 pm said:

Looks great. It seems the PS3 caters to all age groups. My nephews will surely get this for Christmas.

+ QCVic on August 28th, 2009 at 7:57 pm said:

You know what I’m getting it for both reasons. I have nephews that I would like to show and I want to mess around with this myself. Never too old to have fun. $40.00 is a great price for something interactive like this.

+ cheifhung2low on August 28th, 2009 at 8:55 pm said:

r they gonna have dlc for other animals like dogs and cats or just that monkey lookin thing?

+ piro_z on August 28th, 2009 at 9:01 pm said:

39.99 for me :)

+ Midgetguy on August 28th, 2009 at 9:20 pm said:

My lil’ brother is really excited about this game! And… to be honest, I kind of am too! haha

Seriously, it looks like a lot of fun!!!!

+ GooDer_gAMe on August 28th, 2009 at 9:45 pm said:

I actually have a question, will we be able to have any different animals other than that monkey looking thing?

I am actually interested in this game because I would like to see how my pet bunny and dog react to this little animal, since they occaisionally like to watch me play games as well.

+ FredNation on August 28th, 2009 at 9:52 pm said:

OMG! I can’t wait till it comes out!

+ GuitarinGuy89 on August 28th, 2009 at 9:57 pm said:

FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS!!

+ Ramses_13 on August 28th, 2009 at 10:44 pm said:

just use my PS Eye as my mic, can’t imagine buying this game, but maybe if I was 14 years younger, (23). Wish there was an over the shoulder FPS for the PS Eye, that would be awesom.

+ RenorMirshann on August 28th, 2009 at 11:00 pm said:

Testament music in the background really fits the presentation of this cute little pet ;)

+ JumpMan33 on August 28th, 2009 at 11:17 pm said:

I believe this is a PSN download title, at lest that what it says on the box art.

But you still need the magic card so I think it well be like MvC2 where you buy a box with the download code inside.

+ BOVICE47 on August 28th, 2009 at 11:20 pm said:

i sence animal abuse on a whole new lvl lol

+ Kirkpad on August 28th, 2009 at 11:40 pm said:

Woah after seeing the video, the game has a lot of potential. I’m interested in seeing more.

+ x-champ-x on August 28th, 2009 at 11:41 pm said:

looks pretty cool, i’ll probably buy it. Where was this video shot from though?

+ WINNERS_CIRCLE24 on August 29th, 2009 at 12:28 am said:

is EyePet ps2 eye toy B/C???

+ Jakeman14 on August 29th, 2009 at 12:57 am said:

So going to get this game but just wondering will it have trophies?

+ JeNeI on August 29th, 2009 at 1:18 am said:

I’ll buy it too,but the game only,because I already have a PS Eye.

+ Ahmed-assassin on August 29th, 2009 at 2:57 am said:

My little brother is already saving his money for this

+ Carl-G on August 29th, 2009 at 2:58 am said:

STUNNING :P

+ TheRealDeal5150 on August 29th, 2009 at 3:09 am said:

Wow! Definitely getting this!

+ lonewolf1994 on August 29th, 2009 at 3:47 am said:

I still think this game should have been a playstation store type game… this game looks great, but like hell im spending 50-70 euros on it :/

+ ChizelMonkee on August 29th, 2009 at 5:12 am said:

I thought it was pretty kool at first, but then the cleaning/bath really made me smile. Very nice. Hope my kids will like it too (and won’t fight over it) How about the option to do two pets!

+ JeNeI on August 29th, 2009 at 5:40 am said:

Will be magic card will be shipped with the game?Also what is the price of the game without PS Eye,because I already have one?

+ Netwave on August 29th, 2009 at 7:11 am said:

Great game. Positively buying for my daughter. It’s great to see the eye-toy being utilized. I think this technology is underated even by Sony. I think they should do more games like this utilizing the eye-toy.

+ ADR143 on August 29th, 2009 at 7:35 am said:

i got ps eye def going 2 check this out

+ Sereal_Killer on August 29th, 2009 at 8:04 am said:

@93
read a little better next time for price info…

+ m1ndz_ on August 29th, 2009 at 8:10 am said:

i have the eyetoy cam but there isn’t enough support for it on the ps3 other then sending a pic in burnout paradise and some weird psn games :) but this looks cool i might pick it up

+ tiger7758 on August 29th, 2009 at 8:19 am said:

So can my pet die? Or is it like Nintendogs where they cant die ever…

+ TheGuardianFID on August 29th, 2009 at 8:58 am said:

I’m 35 and have no kids and I want this game, the tech is just too impressive not to give it a try, SOLD!!! :D