PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

Uncharted 2: gamescom’s Best Console Game!

Arne Meyer's Avatar + Posted by Arne Meyer on Aug 31, 2009 // Community Strategist, Naughty Dog

Like UNCHARTED

Just last week, one of our Senior Character Artists, Hanno, and I hopped on a plane to head over to Cologne, Germany, to work at Europe’s biggest videogames show, gamescom. It turns out that we absolutely had no idea what we were getting ourselves into.

2009-gamescom-psblog-5

This was the first European show for Hanno and myself, as we had never been to the Leipzig Games Convention in the previous years. We weren’t prepared at all on how huge gamescom was – not only in importance, but in sheer physical size. There were four different halls at the Koelnmesse where games were being shown and EACH hall was about the same size of an airplane hangar. The PlayStation booth was probably one of the biggest booths we’ve ever seen and was split into four main sections representing racing games, family games, social entertainment and an 18+ area.

We were looking forward to going to Germany since we were hand-carrying over something really special with us – a fresh set of Blu-ray disks that would allow anyone at gamescom to have the first hands-on gameplay ever with the single player campaign of UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves! After we got all of our stations setup, we took some photos of the booth and over the next two days had the chance to take even more photos and video to give you an idea of what it was like for us down on the show floor.

2009-gamescom-psblog-16 2009-gamescom-psblog-14

We kicked off the week attending the PlayStation press conference, which was filled to capacity and then some, where SCEE President Andrew House introduced a brand new trailer for UNCHARTED 2 which we put together just for gamescom. Then, Hanno and I spent the first two days of the show with a very full slate of back to back interviews with European press and some US press. You can read some of the interviews here.

We also set aside some time for behind-closed-doors meetings with press, which we used to demo a brand new area of the game where Nathan Drake and a Tibetan companion, Tenzin, must work together to explore and overcome a variety of obstacles inside a frozen cave deep in the Himalayan mountains. We caught a few articles about these demos here.

The rest of the days, gamescom was open to the public and hundreds of thousands of people attended to check out all the games being shown. As you can see from the gamescom Flickr page, there were TONS of attendees throughout the public days.

Over the weekend, we were extremely proud to learn that we were awarded the gamescom 2009 Award for Best Console Game! There was some tough competition at the show by some excellent games coming out this year and early next year, so winning this award means a lot to us at Naughty Dog.

Of course, this won’t be the only time we’ll be giving our fans a chance to get hands-on time with our single-player campaign. This weekend, PlayStation and Naughty Dog will be at the Penny Arcade Expo 2009 in Seattle and we’ll be bringing the single-player campaign code you may have heard about from gamescom and the Fan Expo in Canada!

80 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ wywern209 on August 31st, 2009 at 3:23 pm said:

DEFInitely getting this for xmas!

+ moyayo on August 31st, 2009 at 3:25 pm said:

uncharted one is still one of the best looking games ive ever seen… this is going to be amazing

+ Antonisbob on August 31st, 2009 at 3:26 pm said:

lol, why is there a Fiat 500 painted camoflauge?

+ chimera_general on August 31st, 2009 at 3:31 pm said:

Arne, are you able to give us a UK/EU release date for the game yet? I hope it isn’t as long a delay as it was between UDF.

Also, what is the song on this video clip? It is great!

+ PullusPardusUS on August 31st, 2009 at 3:47 pm said:

what were the competitions on best games ? can you guys tell?

+ Crotin on August 31st, 2009 at 4:06 pm said:

Good job guys! The gamescom people got it right. IGN gave to Mass Effect…no taste at all sigh..

+ Thrasher20 on August 31st, 2009 at 4:22 pm said:

Awesome and unique ways of promoting!

+ shadow2797 on August 31st, 2009 at 4:52 pm said:

Do you think you guys could put that trailer on the PS Store?

+ CRONIC_GAMER on August 31st, 2009 at 4:53 pm said:

Man the first was a sleeper hit but when I finally came around to buying it I was floored can’t wait for the second one I hope it keeps that what is going to happen kind of feel to it !

+ jBat17 on August 31st, 2009 at 4:59 pm said:

this game is GOTY for sure.. back to back ps3 exclusives as GOTY: LBP 08, Uncharted 09.. maybe lakers will also win back2back.. lol

@39 Pretender2545
batman is a good game. buy it now, platinum it, then trade it in in oct for uncharted 2

+ djspinal on August 31st, 2009 at 5:08 pm said:

omg. most hardcore vw ever!

+ Gambit07 on August 31st, 2009 at 5:33 pm said:

Congrats guys on your award, also I just got my GF hooked to Uncharted, she can’t stop playing! on easy of course. U2 is a day 1.

+ Antonisbob on August 31st, 2009 at 5:46 pm said:

its not a VW, Beetles are longer and slighly wider, its an italian car Made by Fiat called the Fiat 500.

+ NDGO on August 31st, 2009 at 5:50 pm said:

are you guys coming to TGS. I was able to get my hands on UC 1, please let me play it UC2

+ ADR143 on August 31st, 2009 at 6:57 pm said:

dam cant w8

+ DEJAVU_323 on August 31st, 2009 at 7:01 pm said:

congrats……can’t wait…for UNCHARTED 2

+ Comando148 on August 31st, 2009 at 8:06 pm said:

I would like to know when a release of a demo will come out on the PSN. The only thing that I’m not to sure about is the multiplayer but I heard it was great. I know that there is a lot of people out there that are excited about the game. Congatulations on the award. Looking forward to more news on the game.

+ jazzyrider on August 31st, 2009 at 10:22 pm said:

Crap – PAX is sold out and I’ve been too busy to check it out till the last minute. Is there going to be a meet up like last year? I wonder if they’ll be handing out lucky day passes.

+ KingFrak on September 1st, 2009 at 12:41 am said:

Yahhhh UNCHARTED FTW

+ Pomato-EX on September 1st, 2009 at 5:49 am said:

The wait for Uncharted 2 is driving me crazy.

+ RavageHeitaro on September 1st, 2009 at 9:07 am said:

I can’t wait to try out the online co-op, heard great things about it :)

+ ooopsUdied on September 1st, 2009 at 1:33 pm said:

i wanna ps3 soooooooooooo bad, but pleze experienced gamers, i need to know what MANDATORY GAMES i need to get for it. i love sony, and i hate xbox with a literal passion.

+ dudex123wako on September 4th, 2009 at 10:09 pm said:

bring the epicness NOW!!!!!!

1 month,1 month1 month1 month1 month1 month1 month1 month1 month1 month1 month1 month1 month1 month, wait,, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait

+ XScreamingEagleX on September 6th, 2009 at 1:10 am said:

you know what. i been trying to decide which to get.

most my clan mate going to get MW2 and that si why i want tog et Mw2.

but…

f— it. im getting uncharted 2 no matter what!

this game looks damn….*speechless*

PURE OWNAGE!!

+ SoopaMan2K on September 6th, 2009 at 10:34 am said:

This game is going to be a FLOP!

Fantastic
Long
Over
Played

+ maxter1 on September 6th, 2009 at 5:46 pm said:

Naughty Dog, congradulations, Uncharted Drakes Fortune was and still is the best game i have ever played. I would not need any other games excpet that one. It was funny, exciting, suspenseful, and pretty much the best game ever. I know that Uncharted 2 will be the best game ever, good luck in these final days of putting it all together. Thanks again Naughty Dog for making my day, hopefully i can win one of those special editions of Uncharted 2: Amoung theives posibly one of the biggest achievements in gaming history. Im going to buy this first thing, but im planning on winning the Treasure Hunter Edition and being lucky for once in my lifetime

+ maxter1 on September 7th, 2009 at 9:58 am said:

Naughty Dog, congradulations, Uncharted Drakes Fortune was and still is the best game i have ever played. I would not need any other games excpet that one. It was funny, exciting, suspenseful, and pretty much the best game ever. I know that Uncharted 2 will be a completely knew experience and taking Uncharted: Drakes Fortune as the best game ever, good luck in these final days of putting it all together. Thanks again Naughty Dog for making my day, hopefully i can win one of those special editions of Uncharted 2: Amoung theives posibly one of the biggest achievements in gaming history. Im going to buy this first thing, but im planning on winning the Treasure Hunter Edition and being lucky for once in my lifetime.

+ Shift41 on September 7th, 2009 at 3:58 pm said:

Epic!!!!!

+ macdonaldvin76 on September 7th, 2009 at 6:17 pm said:

preordered my copy … booked the day off work … n’ working my way through Uncharted Drake’s Fortune again while i wait for 10/13/09

+ SoopaMan2K on September 8th, 2009 at 6:18 am said:

Man, I can’t wait. The MP demo coming up will make the wait a little easy.

PAGE 1 2