Driveclub

Open Casting Call for “The Tester”

Kevin Furuichi's Avatar + Posted by Kevin Furuichi on Sep 03, 2009 // Executive Producer, PlayStation Network

Want a chance to work for PlayStation? Do you have the skills and determination to work as a game tester? Today we are announcing a new original program that will be created for the PlayStation Network called “The Tester.” This series of programs will follow a group of select gamers as they face-off in a series of elimination challenges designed to test their mental toughness, endurance, and video game knowledge as they compete for a job working as a PlayStation game tester. The winner of the new show gets a job working for PlayStation’s Quality Assurance department in San Diego, CA and gets the opportunity to work on some of the best PlayStation games.

Open casting for the series begins today.

If you’re interested, complete the online casting submission form and upload a short video explaining why you’re the perfect contestant for “The Tester” at www.us.PlayStation.com/psn/thetester. As you can imagine, this show will be sure to entertain so we’ll be back on the Blog when we have more to share.

+ gus_xl on September 3rd, 2009 at 11:57 am said:

You should have one for game artists. That’s something I would watch. People just playing games, I can watch myself do that..

+ infamousXX87XX on September 3rd, 2009 at 11:58 am said:

u guys better have a good update today….like blood omen and hopefully trine

+ station3fever on September 3rd, 2009 at 12:08 pm said:

to far grrrr :(

+ Maakasukage on September 3rd, 2009 at 12:09 pm said:

To bad im all the way in Ontario, (Not that im complaining). But yeah To bad for me… I think I would be to young? Im 17? So not sure, I do alot of beat testings and pretty much can point out anything wrong with a game. Even if its finished product lol XD

+ Maakasukage on September 3rd, 2009 at 12:09 pm said:

beta*

+ Pelt_Hunter on September 3rd, 2009 at 12:10 pm said:

Yeah no moving to San Diego for me. In other news, can we expect to see the update sometime today? Preferably before I have to go to work at 5pm Mountain Time. I’m aching to spend the $16.44 I have sitting in my digital wallet of DOOM since buying Shatter a few days ago. Great lil’ game BTW.

+ Sekoku on September 3rd, 2009 at 12:14 pm said:

Work for Sony, sure. I’ll take it.
Do a reality for this, LOL NO. TOOTLES.

+ Enforcer_X on September 3rd, 2009 at 12:14 pm said:

@15 DarkFire45

Just as I suspected, not good enough to quit my current job and move to the west coast.

+ Enforcer_X on September 3rd, 2009 at 12:15 pm said:

@49 el-fury-86

HAHA Indeed, or at least testers that aren’t blind.

+ brianspardamart on September 3rd, 2009 at 12:17 pm said:

Hello to playstation software developers, THESE IS IMPORTANT. MY PLAYSTATION DOES NOT WORK. IT BEGAN ABOUT A LITTLE AFTER I UPDATED MY PS3 TO THE NEW 3.0 AND IT WAS WORKING FINE. BUT AS OF 12:13pm IT IS A DEAD STICK. PLEASE PLEASE REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE, NOTHING BAD HAS EVER HAPPEN TO MY PLAYSTATION 3 AND I NEED HELP. THE PLAYSTATION’S LIGHT IS FLASHING RED AND IM AFRAID THAT THIS WILL BE SONY’S VERSION OF MICROSOFTS RED RING PROBLEM. I DONT KNOW IF IM THE ONLY ONE WITH THIS PROBLEM. PLEASE RESPOND. I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!

+ GamerMoney on September 3rd, 2009 at 12:18 pm said:

one question…can we use ps eye to record the video…oh and by when is the deadline to sybmit a video?

+ GamerMoney on September 3rd, 2009 at 12:18 pm said:

i meand i meant submit…guess thats 2 questions

+ klubjunkee on September 3rd, 2009 at 12:19 pm said:

Surprise, surprise… Another cool contest available to US residents only.

I hate to be an @ss but if people don’t speak up, nothing changes. When will Canadian PS3 fans get more than one blog post a year with something relevant to our region.

+ Jer1ch0 on September 3rd, 2009 at 12:22 pm said:

Surprise, Surprise yet another initiative/contest only open to US residents. Sony is aware that Canada is part of North America right? It would be nice to see the PS Blog or Sony try just a little bit to have contests or content parity for the rest of the continent…

+ Paranoimia on September 3rd, 2009 at 12:23 pm said:

Do I want to work for PlayStation? Can’t think of anything I’d enjoy more.

Am I good enough to win this little compo? Almost certainly not.

And besides, I’m in the UK!

Still – good luck to all who enter!

+ Wild_Man_X on September 3rd, 2009 at 12:25 pm said:

What’s the pay like for a Sony game tester?

+ Jer1ch0 on September 3rd, 2009 at 12:25 pm said:

It’s funny as well that everytime Canada is shafted there are many, many comments about it but never any replies…except to say ‘that’s the rules’

+ AntDaGamer on September 3rd, 2009 at 12:25 pm said:

When is the deadline?

+ bahamutXr79 on September 3rd, 2009 at 12:25 pm said:

Damn I would soo try it, I actually live in San Diego too, its just that I go to college in Irvine lol so I’ll be there almost all the time. Sounds like fun though.

+ Qualitee on September 3rd, 2009 at 12:27 pm said:

I’ll help you test…The terms and conditions link doesn’t work. Tried Firefox and IE.

+ trapper12 on September 3rd, 2009 at 12:29 pm said:

@43

You sir are correct, but what I want to do is test out future updates and use them to see if there are any problems with additional features before it releases. Sorry if I wasn’t clear enough on the response.

+ krae_man on September 3rd, 2009 at 12:34 pm said:

A reality show where the winner gets to work 60 hour weeks making $10-$15/hour?

You have got to be kidding me.

+ LtFaku on September 3rd, 2009 at 12:36 pm said:

I Hope you do this in Argentina sometime, then I will sign up for this!

Meanwhile, good luck to all the challengers!

+ Robert-Ninja on September 3rd, 2009 at 12:38 pm said:

I did some games testing for PopCap in Ireland. It was okay – definitely not something I’m gonna make a video about, though.

+ DangerDegan on September 3rd, 2009 at 12:38 pm said:

terms and conditions box is messed up, wont allow you to agree. I tried IE and Firefox

+ Jeigh on September 3rd, 2009 at 12:40 pm said:

Kind of funny how a position like QA Tester gets so ‘glamorized’ because of the access to unreleased content. As I understand it, it can be one of the most tedious, frustrating and brain-wracking jobs in the industry, not to mention that there is no creative input from there, short of troubleshooting.

A competition for an entry-level position? Man, the economy really HAS gotten pretty bad, hasn’t it?

+ animepanda on September 3rd, 2009 at 1:09 pm said:

at least i’m not the only one stuck on the terms and conditions… oh booboo T-T

+ IceCold on September 3rd, 2009 at 1:10 pm said:

for some reason the mobile site is still not working for me.

But heck yeah I’m interested, only if you guys can match my engineering salary though.

+ Link01 on September 3rd, 2009 at 1:12 pm said:

I’m actually at UCF right now getting my degree in Computer Science. My goal is to work for you guys and this job opening seems just as good as making the engines themselves :). I just wish you had a station in Florida :(.

+ ExPresident on September 3rd, 2009 at 1:13 pm said:

SONY

Fix the login issue now that you’ve updated the BLOG with whatever changes you guys had to make. Once I login now it takes me to playstation.com rather then back to the blog!

Thanks

+ Maeroveck on September 3rd, 2009 at 1:21 pm said:

Oh no, another competition? Let the whoring begin…

+ dante4real on September 3rd, 2009 at 1:23 pm said:

Hey Kevin, when do you guys end the casting call? i just need a heads up if thats all right.

+ BlueSpeed9 on September 3rd, 2009 at 1:25 pm said:

Let me know when you’re planning a sequel called “The Software Engineer” — can’t really justify wasting a Computer Science degree doing QA. ;)

+ RudeAnimat0r on September 3rd, 2009 at 1:29 pm said:

This sounds pretty rad, but I’m going to PAX this weekend so was wondering when the deadline to apply was? Doesn’t say in the Casting Call post or on the registration page at PlayStation.com. Thanks.

+ Tielo on September 3rd, 2009 at 1:51 pm said:

I tested update3.0 and the store update.

Verdict: I didn’t like it…

+ Rene_Led on September 3rd, 2009 at 1:53 pm said:

No -_-

+ ShadowOfSkeith on September 3rd, 2009 at 2:04 pm said:

Would prior testing experience assist one in this endeavor, or would it detract, as it wouldn’t be as exciting to see someone who’s done this before competing against amateurs?

+ patsu on September 3rd, 2009 at 2:09 pm said:

I am interested to test for firmware upgrade, but don’t want to work for Sony. Is there a way ? I am volunteering because I am scared of future XMB changes. I want to prevent bad changes.

+ Conrad_Max on September 3rd, 2009 at 2:25 pm said:

Very interesting. Good luck with the program and for the people who accept this challemge. I think this would be a great job for very dedicated and hard core players.

+ starBlinky01 on September 3rd, 2009 at 2:26 pm said:

make sure you guys only hire like 2 people that are actually worth hiring and the rest should be people with tons of personality to create drama etc.

Thats how they make reality shows..

+ AKGermany on September 3rd, 2009 at 2:42 pm said:

I play games to actively avoid regular TV and its crappy reality shows. Now they’re coming to my home turf. I can’t say I like this, but then I guess I don’t have to watch.
Still this has the potential to be embarrassing like some of the other “gamer” related TV shows.

+ KillerBread on September 3rd, 2009 at 2:52 pm said:

shame i live in the uk lol

+ Gotti_G10 on September 3rd, 2009 at 3:04 pm said:

sent mine in, hope i get in!

+ BlindMango on September 3rd, 2009 at 3:06 pm said:

nice idea! good luck to the people participating.

+ B-RadGfromOV on September 3rd, 2009 at 3:09 pm said:

I’m only 17. bah, humbug.

+ ADR143 on September 3rd, 2009 at 3:20 pm said:

GL to all whos applying

+ POLYERGOS on September 3rd, 2009 at 3:22 pm said:

The person who wins this will have to beat the ladies off with a stick. A single analog stick. From the PSPGo.

+ CarmenSanD13go on September 3rd, 2009 at 3:48 pm said:

I keep trying to reformat my video from avi to mpeg4 and mov format but for some reason it keeps giving me problems. I’m trying to use Adobe Media Encoder CS4. Anyone have any ideas?

+ CH1983AG on September 3rd, 2009 at 3:49 pm said:

Wish I can enter but I don’t have a video camera.

+ hobb123 on September 3rd, 2009 at 4:00 pm said:

agh i wanted to do this but don’t have video to upload that sucks