No Man's Sky

Open Casting Call for “The Tester”

Kevin Furuichi's Avatar + Posted by Kevin Furuichi on Sep 03, 2009 // Executive Producer, PlayStation Network

Want a chance to work for PlayStation? Do you have the skills and determination to work as a game tester? Today we are announcing a new original program that will be created for the PlayStation Network called “The Tester.” This series of programs will follow a group of select gamers as they face-off in a series of elimination challenges designed to test their mental toughness, endurance, and video game knowledge as they compete for a job working as a PlayStation game tester. The winner of the new show gets a job working for PlayStation’s Quality Assurance department in San Diego, CA and gets the opportunity to work on some of the best PlayStation games.

Open casting for the series begins today.

If you’re interested, complete the online casting submission form and upload a short video explaining why you’re the perfect contestant for “The Tester” at www.us.PlayStation.com/psn/thetester. As you can imagine, this show will be sure to entertain so we’ll be back on the Blog when we have more to share.

PAGE 1 2 3

+ selfescape on September 3rd, 2009 at 4:02 pm said:

Can we have the update today please? Thank you.

+ selfescape on September 3rd, 2009 at 4:04 pm said:

Haha, speak of the devil.

+ Biggz124 on September 3rd, 2009 at 4:04 pm said:

SCEA you better update the playstation store today, or we’ll rage.

+ Blackxino on September 3rd, 2009 at 4:18 pm said:

“ou must be at least 21 years of age and legally eligible to work in and a current resident of the United States for consideration.” My UK gamers, don’t bother about this trash, it’s only for US:/

anyway why do we need this beta testing thing? Don’t forget that the XboX 360 is the beta testing console.
Ninja Gaiden 2
Castle Crasher
Lost Planet
Bioshock
Tales of Vesperia

all these games are moving on to the real next gen console.
More games coming to the Beast.

+ tsukasa1288 on September 3rd, 2009 at 4:19 pm said:

As entertaining as this sounds, I honestly don’t believe I would have the time to do something like this.

+ opshoesnilla on September 3rd, 2009 at 4:29 pm said:

“Get paid rock bottom salaries to play horrible games, receive crappy benefits, and work horrible hours with no chance of ever moving up or improving your career!”

+ CarmenSanD13go on September 3rd, 2009 at 4:33 pm said:

Alright I just sent it in. Good luck to everyone else trying to be a contestant too!

+ skyofdreams on September 3rd, 2009 at 4:34 pm said:

I live in SD, but I frankly don’t see why this should even be a reality show. 20-30k a year isn’t exactly my dream job.

+ Army_of_Lefty on September 3rd, 2009 at 4:42 pm said:

even if we arent old enough can we still do it for fun? i mean i dont have a video camera but is that the only way to compete? cause this sounds like something fun that will take my mind off of school for a bit

+ CarmenSanD13go on September 3rd, 2009 at 4:47 pm said:

It would be better than my current job and I’m barely making anything where I work. With the way the economy is I’d be lucky to even see $20,000 and some people say that I am lucky considering the unemployment rate.

+ SlaveSpawn on September 3rd, 2009 at 5:34 pm said:

I’d love to be a contracted tester but… I don’t own a video or web cam so that automatically disqualifies me which is super lame :(

+ poweredbyzen on September 3rd, 2009 at 6:26 pm said:

i’d love to move to san diego – great weather! define “video game knowledge” and “mental prowess.” to be honest, i don’t even know princess peach’s first name! is it “princess?” meh. i just know i love video games! i’ve stamina and dexterity – just don’t make me play street fighter; i suck at it! hahaha! ;D

+ TwiztedR3DHead on September 3rd, 2009 at 6:33 pm said:

Sony good luck ill watch though iwanna do this

+ Cloud_911 on September 3rd, 2009 at 8:51 pm said:

ill sign up if i get to test out Veronica Belmont, Audrey Cleo, or Chirstina Lee…. if u catch my drift… lol too bad this aint in canada eh

+ Spartan698 on September 4th, 2009 at 1:11 am said:

I was too late! I didn’t get home from work in time. FAIL :(

+ Onna76_NL on September 4th, 2009 at 4:17 am said:

Is this for US only? I mean for US residents only?

+ Onna76_NL on September 4th, 2009 at 4:21 am said:

Damn you need to be a US resident :( Working for PlayStation is really like a dream and I’d love to work in the US.

+ zeke2040 on September 4th, 2009 at 8:08 am said:

jeff, i would like to ask a question… do you have to have some experience on testing first to get the job or you just have to be over 21..? also would this project be kinda like the real world from the Mtv show, but only for the sony if you understand what i mean.. any feedback would be great..

Kevin Furuichi's Avatar

+ Kevin Furuichi on September 4th, 2009 at 4:25 pm said:

No previous testing experience is necessary. There really won\’t be game testing in the show and the contestants will be living together between the challenges.

+ Onna76_NL on September 4th, 2009 at 9:19 am said:

Why are you refering to Jeff? Blog is written by Kevin ;)

+ Celtcub on September 4th, 2009 at 3:37 pm said:

Wow. SOny is scarping the bottom of the barrel on this one. I worked for Sony/PS Online in Redwood City Ca. It was as easy as calling Nelson Staffing and saying “Hey, I want to be a game tester”. It’s not about “l33t’ gaming skillz, it’s bout being able to find flaws in software. The fact that it’s a video game shouldn’t even matter. QA is QA. Are they going to air a competition between the people to see who can write a big in the correct format?? How exciting!

This is a sad, SAD little thing Sony is doing. And to the winner – Congrats, you now have a slave wage job with mandatory overtime and working weekends. Welcome to the Gaming Industry! I want the cameras to continue to roll when the “reality” of this sinks in… now THAT would be a show.

+ Celtcub on September 4th, 2009 at 3:39 pm said:

Corrected: (What no EDIT!?! Wth?)

Wow. Sony is scraping the bottom of the barrel on this one. I worked for Sony/PS Online in Redwood City Ca. It was as easy as calling Nelson Staffing and saying “Hey, I want to be a game tester”. It’s not about “l33t” gaming skillz, it’s bout being able to find flaws in software. The fact that it’s a video game shouldn’t even matter. QA is QA. Are they going to air a competition between the people to see who can write a bug in the correct format?? How exciting!

+ inmoney on September 4th, 2009 at 11:20 pm said:

lol fail will not pay the rent probly 9/hr or something

+ JOE_LADY_JAYE on September 7th, 2009 at 12:08 pm said:

this sucks because I’m turning 21 September 22nd and i don’t know if I’ll be able to sign up for this…i would love to be a tester…and the simple fact that I am a girl and if I did make it to the show I would love to be the underdog and show some of these boys up…someone please help my confusion :)

+ Chalcedony on September 7th, 2009 at 8:09 pm said:

I would totally do it, if it wasn’t out in San Diego… 2-3 hour commute if so, and if won… That’s a loooong drive =P

May just enter for the hell of it, gotta love the Playstation! =P

+ AlexNStacy on September 9th, 2009 at 10:10 am said:

I ve allready put my video in and I am hopeing and praying to be selected , its going to be a fantastic show its being producee from the people at 51 minds, same people the make vh1 ‘s shows , so you know there are going to be outstanding prizes !!!!!!!!!!! not just a job ,

+ Riptide9 on September 11th, 2009 at 8:44 am said:

When is the deadline? Did it already pass???

+ Shortyrock918 on September 23rd, 2009 at 11:07 am said:

Hey Kevin! I just wanted to know when will you guys let people know what Sony think about the audition videos? I sent mine in about 3 weeks ago and I keep checking my email going crazy? Also, I see there is no official dead line. Is it a dead line?
Thanks!