Paragon

Sep 04

Sep 04

Q-Games Update: Star Dust, Dynamic Themes & Our Favorite Little Tikiman…

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar Posted by President and Executive Producer, Q-Games Ltd.

PixelJunkies Monsters Dynamic Banner

Hey PixelJunk fans,

Well, Q-Games has been busy again, and not just on PixelJunk. You may have noticed some new additions to the PlayStation 3’s XMB (Xross Media Bar) with the latest firmware update to version 3.00.

Well, we’re behind the “star dust” and if you haven’t noticed it yet, you’re in for a nice surprise. We wanted to implement something like the beginning of the movie Gattaca but they wouldn’t let us go quite that far, so we settled on the subtle but pretty dust effect you can see now. If you shake the Wireless Controller, you can move them about a bit, as if they are being carried by eddies in the wind.

Also, there are these new things called Dynamic Themes, and we’re proud to say that this is a system we were involved in developing. Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) wanted to spice up the background a bit and static pictures just didn’t cut the mustard. So we collaborated with them to make a system where developers can display what they want and animate and move them around. This definitely adds a little life to the PS3’s background so be sure to try it out.

PixelJunk Monsters Dynamic Theme

In fact, go ahead and download our PixelJunk Monsters Dynamic Theme which is now available for $2.99 on the PlayStation Store. Soon you’ll have the little Tikiman running around amongst the trees behind whatever it is you are doing in the XMB. This is actually the very first theme ever made with the system because we used it to test out the features!

So go for it and grab a bit of PS3 history for yourself.

Oh and one more thing…PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe is coming to PSP very soon featuring a brand new island, more maps, new monsters & towers. We’ll have more info on that later!

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3

Korbei83 said:

September 4th, 2:17 pm

Hey Dylan. How’s PJ Shooter coming along?

reeninge said:

September 4th, 2:18 pm

So Q-Games was responsible for the only part of FW3.0 that was optional? That’s funny. By the way, Eden and Monsters are great games. Thanks.

SPOOKULA209 said:

September 4th, 2:18 pm

I bought the LBP because my son liked it but 2.99 is too much, 1.99 or 0.99 would be good. I just hope the avatars don’t cost too much either.

Korbei83 said:

September 4th, 2:19 pm

Oh.. not fair that devs can turn off that obnoxious ticker.

Tr3p1dat10n said:

September 4th, 2:19 pm

Or you can go to the Japanese PSN store and download the free Afrika theme.

Also when I tried signing into the blog it took me to a page saying the destination doesn’t exist anymore. Obviously I could come back here but it was freaky. Any chance on it coming back to the blog or the post you were trying to reply to?

SPOOKULA209 said:

September 4th, 2:22 pm

I got the Afrika theme day one

Big-Bad-Boss said:

September 4th, 2:23 pm

The dynamic themes are one of the best features of 3.00. I’m patiently waiting for a God of War or MGS type theme.

ZAANOS said:

September 4th, 2:28 pm

Q Games please convince SCE to have dynamic avatars for PS3!! Also want to see an option to upload a short clip using the PlayStationEye to my profile. So people can view it if they like. I think that would make the profiles much more interesting.

Jeigh said:

September 4th, 2:29 pm

Ah, my dear friends at Q-Games have delivered unto me yet another fun feature for the PS3. I get the feeling you’ll be getting guff over fw3.00 due to the excessive zeal of some readers who aren’t so great at reading, but I’m very grateful for this. You guys just keep on doing what you’re doing and I’ll keep on buying what you’re selling. =)

(Ahem, no matter what grudge I may or may not hold over the titles of certain things… Sorry, had to throw it out there one last time, but I’m letting it go as of now, given that the game itself is clearly gold.)

SOOPERGOOMAN187 said:

September 4th, 2:31 pm

I got an Idea, every time someone Purchases one of your games and everybody else’s, you get a Free Dynamic Theme with it.

Should be a prerequisite like Trophies….

SOOPERGOOMAN187 said:

September 4th, 2:35 pm

Oh yeah, I just bought Yours and Pain. Because you two companies are PEOPLE WHO LISTEN TO US! unlike most of the rest…

inf3ernus said:

September 4th, 2:35 pm

I hope all dynamic themes for free…
It’s too much for a theme to be $3.. T_T

XreptarX said:

September 4th, 2:38 pm

Hey I was just wondering if there is any chance of the new content being introduced in PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe will be available for the PS3 version as DLC. I would love some new content for my favorite PSN game!

NITROWOLF_2 said:

September 4th, 2:39 pm

Can we have video previews instead of photo previews on the store? I mean its hard to tell whats actually moves in some of those previews we got.

hife said:

September 4th, 2:41 pm

Well Q-Games, I would just like to say that I am very pleased with the star dust (though I wish I could manipulate it a little more). You also get my respect for your role in the dynamic themes.

Can’t wait for Shooter.

enewtabie said:

September 4th, 2:42 pm

Hey Dylan,
Is it possible that we’ll see a dynamic theme for shooter alongside release of the game. Also,is there a announced date for shooter?

Anubis80 said:

September 4th, 2:43 pm

Cool idea but for $2.99 thats a game add on for a cool game instead. I will pass. I understand work and effort went into these but if you guys lowered your price $1.00 more people would buy them.

TA_REK_FULL_CiLP said:

September 4th, 2:44 pm

Firmware 3.0 is awesome and I love dynamic themes… Really Nice, I was just wondering if you were ever going to release some software for users to create their own cool themes…? Moreover I wanted to know if the dynamic themes were actually vids in the backround, because these themes user created themes on what is possible if they are vids equals awesome!!!

Here are the urls lol, let me know what you think.

Final Fantasy theme http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HVLP6IgkeI

Killzone 2 theme http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRCfar6qpqs

GOD 3 theme http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yMC2bq7e5M

Modern Warfare 2 theme http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0lRZqwYiH8

Just wanted to share with you and get a little info… Thanks love you guys and girls…

Draicus said:

September 4th, 2:46 pm

Absolutely love the PixelJunk Monster dynamic theme. It’s great.

Legendary--- said:

September 4th, 2:46 pm

Dear Dylan,

Is a PSP-Format of Qore coming anytime soon?

That would make Qore better than an Official Printed Magazine.

Legendary--- said:

September 4th, 2:47 pm

Nevermind, My Mistake. =D

Sigmakan said:

September 4th, 2:52 pm

I’ve downloaded this theme and I really like it. However, I have one major issue with it:

The folders under the game category are the default icons so they do not match the rest of the theme at all. Now normally this wouldnt be a big deal, but considering we are now paying money for these themes I was wondering if this will be fixed.

Thanks! Love your games!

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar

Dylan Cuthbert said:

September 5th, 4:20 am

I\’m not sure we can customise those folder icons – but if we can we\’ll do make sure to do it in a future theme.

xKOROSHIYAx said:

September 4th, 2:56 pm

While dynamic themes are very nice, $2.99 is a bit much for a cosmetic change to the XMB. They shouldn’t be more than $0.99 each.

You’d get far more sales, because most people will just think “it’s only a buck, what the hell, might as well”. It’s also a good way for people with only $1-$2 in their PSN wallet to grab a few extras with it.

stlthriot said:

September 4th, 2:56 pm

So, I am curious, obviously the Star Dust theme is in realtime but when it comes to the LBP and Monsters one, are they movie elements just placed around or are they actual objects, perhaps even made out of polygons, etc?

I definitely want to see more like the Star Dust one, reminds me a lot of the PSP music visualizer. :D Speaking of which, I wish the Star Dust one responded more to the music and that it maybe cycled colors and not just purple. :)

Oh, and you guys need to make one that is similar to the PS2 crystal clock! :D With the refractions and reflections and all that pretty stuff!

THE_LIGHT_05 said:

September 4th, 2:56 pm

PAIN, High Velocity Bowling and Pixel Junk. FOR. THE. WIN.

NelsonXVCT said:

September 4th, 2:59 pm

“Star Dust”?
YES! A Super Stardust HD Dynamic Theme?!

onisat said:

September 4th, 3:00 pm

Hey thanks for the dynamic themes and pixel junk monsters.

Essence07 said:

September 4th, 3:03 pm

$3 for a short video that loops in the background? Yeah…no thanks. Especially when TV shows are only $2.

ExPresident said:

September 4th, 3:09 pm

I won’t be downloading a dynamic theme for $2.99, who thought of that price?

I can get TV episodes for that or even the add-on pack for Magic Ball. Are you kidding me?

kdiep said:

September 4th, 3:11 pm

oh i forget that you guys actually developed the XMB. nice work q’s! love your products.

KillerBread said:

September 4th, 3:12 pm

oh yer im sorry did you forget about the EU as YOU WOULD MAKE MORE MONEY RELEASING THE THEME IN THE EU how hard is it to understand

gekko1986 said:

September 4th, 3:13 pm

Love Gattaca I’ve got it on blu, but I’m not paying $2.99 for any theme. When can we get some PJ Shooter news?

Ghost_Shrimp said:

September 4th, 3:22 pm

Yeah I’m not paying $3 bucks for a theme… Can’t wait for Shooter though, getting that day one.

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar

Dylan Cuthbert said:

September 5th, 4:22 am

Remember that we\’ll be lucky to sell even a few thousand themes and so the cost of developing the theme (3-4 weeks of coder/artist time, checking, testing etc) will still far exceed any money we make from it.

KazeEternal said:

September 4th, 3:24 pm

while cool and all…..

what are the odds of us getting Nariko standing in the background poised for combat with the wind blowing through her hair and other little cool effects. I really enjoy Heavenly Sword, but with Ninja Theory gone off to do their own thing and Sony seemingly sweeping the game under the rug it doesn’t seem likely.

Wanted DT’s (Dynamic Themes):
*Heavenly Sword
*MGS4
*Resistance 2
*Uncharted 1 or 2
*Killzone 2
*God of War
*Final Fantasy Versus XIII
*Crazy PlayStation Logo-esque thing that demonstrates the DT’s and is freely distributed no charge.

Stinkinmushroom said:

September 4th, 3:38 pm

Buying this, cause i’m a fan of PJM.

PS: I’ll also buy one of Pixeljunk Eden. please make one

Pulseman said:

September 4th, 3:38 pm

I agree with @3 and everybody else! $2.99 is too much for a useless, repetitive, non interactive piece of crap called “dynamic theme”. Way to go greedy Sony!

I swear, you keep taking this greedy path and I will never buy a PS or any other Sony product again.

Developers spend at least a year to develop a PSN downloadable game and it sells between $4.99 – $9.99 and you expect us to pay for a dynamic theme that took 1 week(2 weeks max) to make for $2.99? I don’t think so.

The same can be said on useless game add-ons that cost 5.99 and up while it is clear that they should have been part of the final product. Street Fighter 4 costumes pack, I am looking at you!

KazeEternal said:

September 4th, 3:46 pm

@35
You call them greedy, I call it distributed cost.

We don’t pay directly for PSN and as a result sony has to find other avenues to continue the free nature of the PSN.

Sure maybe 1.00 or even 50 cents for a theme is fair, but those extra dollars can go a long way to adding new features to the PSN.

Also these themes aren’t worthless, someone has to out the time and effort into not only providing assets for it, but also supplying the code for any special easter eggs, timers, and mechanics they add to those themes that triggers all that stuff. They look nice and well worth the time put into them. I would gladly blow 2.99 on theme knowing that it supports my favorite developers, the PSN, and my agenda.

So stick it.

Crimson_Ryan said:

September 4th, 3:48 pm

So, are you guys going to fix the friends list or what? Normally, I could just zip through and find a friend, now I have to carefully look for him. And you guys have also taken the sleek XMB and turned it blocky because of this.

Wollan said:

September 4th, 3:48 pm

Good effort implementing the software needed for animating backgrounds. Practically a OS first (considering it’s actual polygons and scripting).

I have a small annoyance though.

I like my XMB classic (just the wave) so that’s what I have it set for. Whenever I exit a game/movie back to the XMB I see the glitter again for like a second before it completely remembers. I would have liked it to come back ‘clean’ if you will.

Keep up the good work.

RandomEarthling said:

September 4th, 3:50 pm

I love Monsters and Eden and want to support you guys as much as I can but I just can’t get behind $2.99 for a visual effect. To be honest, I’m usually playing games and not just looking at the XMB so it would be wasted on me.

Thanks for the tip on shaking the controller to make the sparkles move. Can’t wait for Shooter either!

Powie said:

September 4th, 3:53 pm

$3.00 for a theme is a bit pricey. Try a max of $1.49. OR better yet free, you know as a thank you to your fans.

D-Squad3 said:

September 4th, 3:54 pm

Me want free dynamic themes.

warSUCKS said:

September 4th, 4:00 pm

2,99 ist too expensive for a Theme!!!

Please publish some free dynamic Themes.

BTW: Did anyone knows, when premium avatares will be released?

Pulseman said:

September 4th, 4:00 pm

From my experience as a gaming engineer myself, I can estimate how much effort is put into these kind of projects. And believe me, not that much. To me its a rip off and I stick with my previous comment. Thanks.

BigBoss712 said:

September 4th, 4:00 pm

Thanks for the theme preview, your new game is looking great.

NEJI64 said:

September 4th, 4:01 pm

its messed up i may not own a Dynamic Theme. @35 you people need to stop blaming Sony for THIRD PARTY COMPANY prices.

T3mpr1x said:

September 4th, 4:03 pm

This is a cool feature. How about a dev kit for regular users? Charge say $100 for it and then we can create our own dynamic themes. This wouldn’t be a full-fledged dev kit of course. Maybe have a user-created store or something.

Pulseman said:

September 4th, 4:10 pm

@45 I don’t think the pricing is set by third party companies because every dynamic theme has a 2.99 price tag. It looks like they are following the “recommended pricing” set by Sony.

plaztiksyke said:

September 4th, 4:13 pm

I’d really like to see a PJ Shooter dynamic theme where tilting the controller ends up pouring lava/water onto other pools of lava/water, and shaking the controller resets the stage.

Seeing those awesome fluid dynamics as part of the XMB would be totally worth $3, especially with high-quality audio effects.

Hopefully we see something like this closer to Shooter’s release date :)

ynp7 said:

September 4th, 4:13 pm

How do you create the dynamic themes and is there any chance customer user themes will be a possibility? If not, can you let us know who to talk to about becoming a licensed dynamic theme developer?

PAGE 1 2 3