No Man's Sky

PSP Firmware (v6.00) Update

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Sep 09, 2009 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

Hi everyone, PSP (PlayStation Portable) firmware update (v6.00) will be available soon. This is a minor update, but here’s quick head’s up on what to expect.

• For those of you looking to customize your XMB (XrossMediaBar), a few new colors will be added under the Theme Settings. These new theme colors can be used on PSP models 2000 or after (PSP-2000, 3000 and N1000).
  • A security patch has been added.
  • [Network Update] has been renamed as [System Update].

As always, we look forward to reading your feedback.

217 Comments

+ BILLYGOLDEN78 on September 10th, 2009 at 7:01 am said:

Typo on #95.
Obviously i meant to say “….the PS3 experience has been anything but satisfying”

+ SnapperBait on September 10th, 2009 at 7:04 am said:

Dont’t do it, you know what’s going to happen. 3.0 and now 6.0 for PSP, I would wait and come back here to see the backlash that 6.0 will bring.

+ Tjoeb123 on September 10th, 2009 at 7:08 am said:

Um…wow. I’m sure you guys can do better than this.

To those asking about trophies – it has been officially confirmed by Sony that there will be NO trophies on the PSP.

But an in-game XMB and game sorting options would’ve been nice.

Oh, and I’m guessing that the N1000 is aka the PSP Go?

+ HouseMorton on September 10th, 2009 at 7:16 am said:

5.5 to 6.0 is a minor update? What a Sony way to handle things…

+ HypnoticMonkey on September 10th, 2009 at 7:17 am said:

What’s with all the talk of PS3 firmware here? This is a blog about PSP f/w 6.0 and not another chance for you to whine about a free update.

+ ndw4 on September 10th, 2009 at 7:20 am said:

6.00 is supposed to be good for psp way to disapoint have you ran out of new ideas for it

+ Tjoeb123 on September 10th, 2009 at 7:21 am said:

Oh and I was also hoping to have the ability to copy games to my MS (officially, even with security on it) by now…

+ Korbei83 on September 10th, 2009 at 7:38 am said:

I won’t be updating.

+ DaRkS1LeNc3 on September 10th, 2009 at 7:59 am said:

this is BS, i’m going to have to upgrade to a PSP-3000 at some point now because these simple-ass features getting put into FW updates don’t frikin work on PSP-1000 series.
How could the new XMB colors not work on a PSP-1000 series XMB, thats f-in bull.

you know sony, there are people that still only use the PSP-1000 because they don’t feel like buying a new PSP every year.

+ mockingb1rdblue on September 10th, 2009 at 8:05 am said:

if you didnt spend so much time focusing on the minority of people running custom firmware by releasing security patches ALL THE TIME, you could put your efforts into making a REAL update, with features that users WANT. ive read a lot of good suggestions on this thread already, but i dont think i saw anyone say “thank you for the security update! i feel much safer now that my wallpaper can have a few new colors waving behind it!1!”

+ kolobear on September 10th, 2009 at 8:17 am said:

Why aren’t the new theme colors available on PSP 1000 machines?

+ jimmy903 on September 10th, 2009 at 8:26 am said:

Still waiting on more Avatars for the PSN. Make it happen soon, please.

+ trance_code on September 10th, 2009 at 8:27 am said:

nice …

+ andrewz067 on September 10th, 2009 at 8:35 am said:

i just upgraded my PSP, and the FW seems OK, but it has just a few minor characteristics…and no XMB modifications at all

after cheking the 6.00 characteristics…a just went back to 5.00 XX-X :-P so i can keep playing ;-)

+ Zookey on September 10th, 2009 at 8:40 am said:

Epic Kittens!

I have pretty much accepted that the above phrase will now be my ‘That’s Exciting!’ catchphrase….

+ RuthlessEd on September 10th, 2009 at 8:42 am said:

Sony desperately needs a lesson in how to manage customer expectations.

Sony embarrasses themselves a little more everyday.

+ LiKuidFox on September 10th, 2009 at 8:47 am said:

Are you guys seriously crying over a number? Because you think it should be 5.56 and not 6.00? I don’t think it matters what the number is; you’d still complain about the inclusion of the update.

Sony can’t seem to please anyone anymore. Most of you are too spoiled by these updates that you now expect so much from Sony. Half of you whine about how these features suck. The other half want them but have a PSP-1000 model.

Firmware updates are NOT a requirement by Sony or any other company. The only real reason for firmware updates is to fix any problems that may lie within the built-in software. Sony is just nice enough to try and keep their systems fresh, and I commend that.

On topic, this appears to be a nice little update. Thanks for the head-up, but unfortunately, my charger is missing, and I have to get a new one; won’t be able to update for a while!

+ Destiny89 on September 10th, 2009 at 8:50 am said:

Will it work on my psp 1004?

+ Viprdude on September 10th, 2009 at 8:58 am said:

Fix the PS3 firmware. Stop slacking SONY

+ Pelt_Hunter on September 10th, 2009 at 9:01 am said:

Okay so Trine is shipping on PC today, without Steam. Tell me we are also getting Trine on the PSN update today. It’s been very quiet about what will be the release this week, let’s hope Sony is finally going to please the fans or I’m just buying the $20 boxed copy for PC…

+ madness23 on September 10th, 2009 at 9:03 am said:

Good news but I would like more PSP functionality for my PS3 before my iPhone completely takes over as my portable device. I’d like to see a portable playstation site for my friends list or an advanced version for remote play to access and message friends list while playing my PS3. Also, remote play for Qore is way overdue.

+ CaptainMacTavish on September 10th, 2009 at 9:15 am said:

WTF LOL it took sony 3 months for this update WOW thanks for the [DELETED] update!!!! where the hell is the friends list????

+ EventStatus on September 10th, 2009 at 9:19 am said:

Atleast they’re giving us a heads up, which is nice of them. As for comments, I was hoping sometime down the line we would be able to download our old PS1 games into our psp, via PS3 as a middle man. (hard disc games/ legally)

I don’t want to pay 10 bucks for FF7 on PSN, just to play it on my psp, since I already own the disc. I understand they can make money bringing them back out via digital download, but seriously, what about the rest of us who want to play our already purchased PS1 games, on our portables?

I’m not complaning and I understand it’s an option/ privilage to be able to download to psp. I’m just hoping sony would open this option up. I would love to play games like xenogears, parasite eve and vagrant story on my PSP, on the way to work.

+ CaptainMacTavish on September 10th, 2009 at 9:24 am said:

I thought 6.00 was going to be huge and amazing ,so i cant still believe that it took them 3 months to add 3 more colours we didn’t ask for.

+ TechXero on September 10th, 2009 at 9:28 am said:

Meh, it’s probably mainly about the security update to try to keep people from using CFW on the PSN. BTW if you install recovery mode on you psp phat then you can enable slim colors on your phat. I personally prefer CXMB to the XMB.

+ munchkin92 on September 10th, 2009 at 9:30 am said:

thats not fair to have theme colors just for the 2000 and up where is the love for the 1000 phat?

+ mgsfoxhound2 on September 10th, 2009 at 9:32 am said:

why is the new colors not going tobe added to the psp 1000 versions?

+ TechXero on September 10th, 2009 at 9:33 am said:

SONY tries to encourage people to buy the newer versions of their product even if you have an older one. They also discourage CFW and any form of Homebrew.

+ Sekoku on September 10th, 2009 at 9:47 am said:

So, the one new “feature”/customization option I want I can’t use because I own a PSP-1000?

Thanks, Sony. But I’ll stick with Colored Fire Walls.

+ KSPRAYDAD on September 10th, 2009 at 9:58 am said:

@120

Trine is officially announced for the EU at least for one of Sept 17th or 24th. According to the EU blog.

+ nastybigun on September 10th, 2009 at 10:00 am said:

garbage and more garbage,as expected u see we the small fries don’t matter at all that is y the 4th iteration of the console is smaller and still no 2nd analog stick.bigger flash what does it mean,hmmm,bluetooth who cares like bluetooth is some miracle technology.so custom firmware is wrong y because they offer better options than the company who manufactures the system.this world belongs 2 the greedy conglomerates and we the lil people r just buyer’s and servants.WHERE IS THE PS2 PSP AT?GIVE US SOMETHING WORTH UR NONSENSE.

+ Khronicol on September 10th, 2009 at 10:01 am said:

Wow! OMG! So many disgruntled PS peeps about a simple update. Bla bla “fix 3.0 first” Bla bla “1000 is useless now” Bla bla “Forcing me to buy a new system!” Bla bla “F— U Sony” Bla bla “I won’t Update for something so useless!” Bla BLA BLA!!!!
OMG STFU!
I know most of us PS fanboys are a whinny bunch expecting the world (what do you expect when we play with such power) but, HOLY Jebus!
Thinking it has any comparison to 3.00 is just … Different systems=different updates.
Who cares what number it is? Realy? C’mon!
They don’t make you buy a new system. It’s called technological progress! You can’t expect them to cram a PS3 into the palm of your hand all at once! Just be proud to support the most Future friendly system on the market in the PS3.

And there is my whinny B****fest for that post. Here it goes buried in the depths of cyberspace.

+ nastybigun on September 10th, 2009 at 10:02 am said:

ALSO IF U GUYS DON’T KNOW THEY’RE CHARGING MORE 4 A NEW SYSTEM THAT COST LESS 2 MAKE THAN IT’S PREDECESSOR,IF I’M WRONG I HAVE NO PROBLEM SAYING SO BUT I DON’T THINK SO.

+ nastybigun on September 10th, 2009 at 10:10 am said:

ONE LAST THING GIVE UP BETTER DEMOS 4 THE PSP

+ TechXero on September 10th, 2009 at 10:13 am said:

I’m not going to ever buy another SONY game system unless they A) allow homebrew on the system 2) another amazing hacker (DAX) makes CFW for it. I’m currently using a PSP 2000 with CFW 5.50 Gen-B2. I also have a 3000 but I never touch it cause it can’t do much, it only plays psp games and crap like that.

+ C0D31020 on September 10th, 2009 at 10:20 am said:

What about a friends list on the xmb, just like the one on ps3… I can’t take my ps3 everywhere, but it would be nice to take my friends list with me and chat on it just like the ps3.
If you add this onto the psp you will make the psp more appealing to a wider audience. We live in a online social networking world, why can’t the psp keep up?

+ C0D31020 on September 10th, 2009 at 10:22 am said:

Make the psp a portable version of the ps3, and it would be alot better!

+ CrystalX3D on September 10th, 2009 at 10:23 am said:

PSN friends list please

+ mafia28 on September 10th, 2009 at 10:28 am said:

Hey Eric Lempel,

You should conider hiring this guy to make the friends list awsome, heres the link:

+ triple_lei on September 10th, 2009 at 10:29 am said:

Well said, #46 (EvoAnubis). I think I’m going to add you to my PS3 friends list just for that comment.

Now that this firmware allows us to sort games with the Square button (like the PS3), why not let us edit the “Information” tab so we can make our own folders for our games (like the PS3)?

+ mafia28 on September 10th, 2009 at 10:29 am said:

sorry i meant to say consider.

+ JDWRudy25 on September 10th, 2009 at 10:46 am said:

@SarshelYam

Yes, im not alone then. It bothers the heck out of me that i cant organize my PSP downloads like i can on PS3

+ jeep_2003 on September 10th, 2009 at 10:57 am said:

there was a game called diabolo (sp.) for the psOne. Psp please!

+ Nynja on September 10th, 2009 at 11:01 am said:

Hey Eric, have you seen this? This is a design that many people approve of, just look at the rating.

How about it, is it possible?

+ MastahKillah82 on September 10th, 2009 at 11:22 am said:

So people that have the original PSP , like me, will not get the custom update ? WOW, THANKS SONY!!! WTF , Now I have to buy a new PSP because you guys won’t make updates to the original PSP… NOOBS

+ CaptainMacTavish on September 10th, 2009 at 11:43 am said:

sony should make big updates that come out every 4-5 months,We don’t want stupid little UPDATES nobody wants theres no features on anyone of the psp updates just security and more security but i think even sometimes its just notting but the just change the number example (5.01) wtf LOL

+ ace5987 on September 10th, 2009 at 12:04 pm said:

wow…. pretty lame update! Why doesn’t sony listen to the people and get a real update out already… This is what we should be getting for PSP (Things that can actually be done realistically):
[SYSTEM]
-dynamic themes in XMB
[MUSIC]
-ability to create and edit playlists
-more visualizers
-background music while browsing web, changing system settings (other than the ones that will interfere with music in the background), viewing the playstation store.
[VIDEO]
-if no preset thumbnail is up, system will create one (can be turned off in system settings)
[GAME]
-ability to organize DLC’s in folders and move it up and down as the user wishes.
[NETWORK]
-Information Board should def get an update because its empty most of the time
-(not much of an update on firmware but just on the playstation store) MORE DEMOS in the playstation store!

+ ace5987 on September 10th, 2009 at 12:05 pm said:

That was just realistically what sony should be doing, NOW the features that will make me download it and never go back to CFW (purely emulators and homebrew apps)
-All the above mentioned
-background music in game
-in-game XMB
-Update the web browser to be like opera for mobile phones… so much better
-flash video in web browsing. (need memory stick for the temp data)
-A kit given to the users so they can make homebrew games and apps!!!!- THIS WOULD BE A CFW KILLER SONY! NO PIRATES since dark alex and everyone creating custom firmware is to run homebrew (or so they say) No reason for them to create CFW.

+ ChaseHammerJ on September 10th, 2009 at 12:06 pm said:

this was a big waste of development all for a security update to try and stop the hackers shesh great show of skill there. might as well just stop updating network oh sorry, system updates and actually give consumers what really matters in quality games. updates do zero good if the is no reason to even turn it on….sorry its the truth.

+ Shy_Guy92 on September 10th, 2009 at 12:27 pm said:

Friends List???????????
Oh well its free and Ill download it and give it a try.