No Man's Sky

It Only Does Family Togetherness

Peter Dille's Avatar + Posted by Peter Dille on Sep 10, 2009 // Senior Vice President, Marketing & PlayStation Network

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your amazing feedback on our new “It Only Does Everything” ad campaign. Kevin Butler has been busy pushing the new $299 PS3, not just on our blog but on some of your favorite TV programs, and the reaction has been fantastic.

I mentioned on my initial post that we have a huge campaign designed to show “Everything” the PS3 can do. And since you’re all PlayStation’s biggest fans, we’ll be debuting each one here first. Our next spot features Kevin Butler helping a desperate father connect with his kids by finding the best family-friendly entertainment. The ad is also timed to support the new “Game of the Year” edition of LittleBigPlanet, which shipped this week. The new edition of LBP includes everything from the first game plus more than $30 of bonus content, new levels and free downloadable content packs.

We hope you like this next installment of the campaign as much as you enjoyed the first two spots. Lots more coming, including ads that feature some of our biggest games like UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves and Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time. You’ll be hearing plenty more from me and Kevin Butler very soon…

Enjoy,

Peter Dille

+ Mattchewie on September 10th, 2009 at 1:21 pm said:

SWEET JESUS these commercials are hilarious. Keep it up Sony! Can’t wait for more!

+ Loy310 on September 10th, 2009 at 1:21 pm said:

Peter Dille, whoever came up with the idea for these new commercials, give them a pay raise.

These are some of the best PlayStation ads Sony have ever made in its history. Sony finally hit the nail on the head with these ads, and we love them. Keep it up please.

Peter Dille's Avatar

+ Peter Dille on September 10th, 2009 at 5:30 pm said:

Everyone in the marketing department agreed with your suggestion. Keep you posted on how that works out…

+ Kxpuc on September 10th, 2009 at 1:22 pm said:

i don’t know what it took to make that thing behind him with a mix of real and CG but awesome. the commerical rules too

+ Korbei83 on September 10th, 2009 at 1:25 pm said:

We ARE PlayStation’s biggest fans. We whine, moan and complain because we love.

+ Jeigh on September 10th, 2009 at 1:27 pm said:

It only does everything… except silence nerds on the internet who seem to be obsessed with Linux and having the ability to play games they’ll NEVER actually play again. Ask anyone who actually has it- you WON’T use it. Jesus, you whiny cheapskates have no idea how much firmware updates have done for this PS3. Buy a 60GB off the Internet if these things mean THAT much to you.

+ Heavenly_king on September 10th, 2009 at 1:29 pm said:

Nice adds, keep them coming XD.

+ Sylvrfonic on September 10th, 2009 at 1:33 pm said:

Sony….with good marketing?

End times are here…..repent!

+ xiked on September 10th, 2009 at 1:35 pm said:

haha, sooo good! SONY you have nailed the marketing! very good! I hope you spam the tv channels whit these ads as much as possible. VERY WELL DONE!

+ Erniejpan on September 10th, 2009 at 1:36 pm said:

Nice ad’s and great timing. I been seen The rumor monger on Family guy and South Park, thats great. ;)

+ spatsnaz on September 10th, 2009 at 1:39 pm said:

Great ad, loved it! :-)

+ wbrinkman on September 10th, 2009 at 1:39 pm said:

Fix the firmware first. And give the guys over the pond at SCEE a call to get their act together. Thanks

+ el-fury-86 on September 10th, 2009 at 1:42 pm said:

this nice and all but games need their own commercial to shine without having Kevin Butler(hes fine for the console ads tho)

Hopefuly the more Kevin dosent mean he will be on Ratchet and Uncharted commercials…but instead on the console features commercials.

+ Nynja on September 10th, 2009 at 1:45 pm said:

Sony is back…

’bout damn time.

+ KazeEternal on September 10th, 2009 at 1:46 pm said:

@104 Jeigh

Well this blows a hole in your theory, I own a 60 gig PS3 and I use BC, have linux installed, and most certainly hate the updates.

I’m not the only person I know who has a 60 gig and uses these features and I know plenty who would use them as well. So when you’re done getting that foot out of your mouth I suggest you take the time to understand quality and look up the definition of a cheap skate.

There is nothing cheap about wanting your PS2 games upscaled, to have easy access to all your PS2 data from the XMB, and wanting to conserve space around your TV.

Next time think before you speak.

+ Zonified on September 10th, 2009 at 1:48 pm said:

Haha, I like it. Keep up the good work!

I also heard about the ad that offended Nigerians. Kind of rediculous if you ask me. :P

+ Loki_d20 on September 10th, 2009 at 1:49 pm said:

More.

More.

More.

Did I mention more?

Keep these coming and don’t stop.

+ jlch777 on September 10th, 2009 at 1:52 pm said:

Great Adds! The PS3 is Rolling Out The Competition!!! Wait a minute What competition?? LOL PS FOREVER!!!

+ Tykain on September 10th, 2009 at 1:53 pm said:

Awesome, I love these new ads.

+ FlatulentGhost on September 10th, 2009 at 1:57 pm said:

@KazeEternal

Get the hell off this board. No one wants you around. Whatever your brain damage is, no one cares. You’re a miserable loser day after day trying to piss in party’s punchbowl.

Get out. Stay out.

+ redtailman on September 10th, 2009 at 1:58 pm said:

why are you not shipping littlebigplanet goty edition, I can’t find it in Houston

+ Seiven on September 10th, 2009 at 1:58 pm said:

That Ad is pure win, I love it…been in a funk since getting bit by a brown recluse and getting a bad staph infection, then surgery, then bed for the past several days. This was the first out loud laugh I have had in over a week. thanks PSN Blog.

+ WastelandDan on September 10th, 2009 at 2:02 pm said:

This is going places! Keep it up add team!

+ Grondinm on September 10th, 2009 at 2:02 pm said:

Great stuff. love the new ads. keep em comming

+ Cwalat on September 10th, 2009 at 2:02 pm said:

It only does Brilliantness.

+ morris1129 on September 10th, 2009 at 2:03 pm said:

Love the new ads. Good Job!!

+ marthofdoom on September 10th, 2009 at 2:07 pm said:

I like the way you think Playstation.

+ spideyal on September 10th, 2009 at 2:10 pm said:

Wow, you guys are really beefing up the Advertising. Good job! I’m looking forward to the next set of Ads (Never thought I’d see myself typing that).

+ jwr718 on September 10th, 2009 at 2:11 pm said:

Wow these commercials are hilarious; I can’t wait to see the rest, I hope they’re coming soon.

+ CrusherX on September 10th, 2009 at 2:12 pm said:

Oh my gawd, that’s a fantastic ad. Love it! This campaign just keeps pumping out awesome.

+ BiezulbubBill69 on September 10th, 2009 at 2:12 pm said:

awesome ad! keep ‘em coming!!!

+ Conrad_Max on September 10th, 2009 at 2:14 pm said:

Funny stuff. I think these current adds are the best ever for the PS3.

+ Sponge-worthy on September 10th, 2009 at 2:14 pm said:

@113 KazeEternal

The line should be “PS3: it only does everything…except for some things that it used to do.”

Not to mention the potential reality of 2.80 being the last good firmware version. Time will tell with that.

+ piro_z on September 10th, 2009 at 2:22 pm said:

thats great but wont people get the idea the slim is $299 when its really $399

+ Chilidogs on September 10th, 2009 at 2:22 pm said:

update your goddamn playstation store

+ PigChampion on September 10th, 2009 at 2:22 pm said:

That is hilarious, well done.

+ inveigle on September 10th, 2009 at 2:32 pm said:

Buzzkill McGee. Yes.

+ Nonstop_Madness on September 10th, 2009 at 2:34 pm said:

Sony should make a PS3 commercial with using Uncharted 2′s cinema mode.

+ explosive78 on September 10th, 2009 at 2:34 pm said:

SO AMAZINGLY AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! That was even funnier than the first two. You guys are KILLING it!!!!

+ Demonized on September 10th, 2009 at 2:35 pm said:

Really great ad, it’s great to see Sony has finally got their act together when it comes to PROPERLY marketing the PS3. Everyone should be told about the great games and great features/benefits of owning one.

Well done Sony.

+ ivedoneyourmom on September 10th, 2009 at 2:46 pm said:

These commercials feel a lot like the humor in the PS ones, I like it, I liked the black transforming commercial too, but I prefer the humor and the less hardcore-ness of the new ad campaign.

+ Biggz124 on September 10th, 2009 at 2:54 pm said:

no moar keyboard cats:( but great overall!

+ Joe-hara on September 10th, 2009 at 3:04 pm said:

Great!!!

+ retro25 on September 10th, 2009 at 3:07 pm said:

Sony, you guys are doing an excellent job here now that Playstation 3 is just getting better and BETTER!!! ^-^ (like the ad)

+ BigBoss712 on September 10th, 2009 at 3:09 pm said:

Can’t wait to see the uncharted and ratchet ads.

+ station3fever on September 10th, 2009 at 3:17 pm said:

I spoke to someone the other day, i ask do you know what ps3 is? he said yes, it plays games and that’s all. he was shocked when i told him it plays dvd’s, blu-ray, etc..
So these ads, i’m sure will help other people know that the ps3 does more than just play games. nice ad :)

+ Lerkero on September 10th, 2009 at 3:18 pm said:

Our little boy Sony is finally growing up and making an ad campaign that’s sensible. Good job, Sony.

+ zombie_56 on September 10th, 2009 at 3:26 pm said:

great ad you guys keep this up and you will win

+ HypnoticMonkey on September 10th, 2009 at 3:26 pm said:

Sony dude stole his whole family!

+ scriptures on September 10th, 2009 at 3:27 pm said:

Awesome ad! This new turn in marketing is great. Keep up the great work. :)

+ ADR143 on September 10th, 2009 at 3:27 pm said: