PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

Lost Planet 2 Co-Op Demo Coming to PSN September 24

Brian Keltner's Avatar + Posted by Brian Keltner on Sep 16, 2009 // PR Manager, Capcom

Hello PlayStation Blog! Capcom is offering PlayStation 3 owners a chance to experience a piece of the Tokyo Game Show action from the comfort of their own living rooms this year by offering the Lost Planet 2 demo available exclusively for download from PSN starting the first day of the show. Beginning September 24, PS3 owners will not only be able to engage in the frantic battle against the enormous G-Type Akrid, the boss Akrid of the episode 1, but will also get the exclusive experience of two additional missions in an online co-operative extermination of the Akrid of E.D.N. III.

LP2 Coop Screen (1)

Throughout the demo players will run into Akrid ranging from small (in Lost Planet terms) to enormous, as they fight to collect the precious thermal energy contained within the Akrids bodies in order to heal themselves, their friends, and power the armored Vital Suits. Utilizing a number of weapons from machine guns to missile pods and rocket launchers scattered throughout the environment, teams of four players can join up via the PlayStation Network and clear three mission objectives with friends, giving them a glimpse into the jungle of E.D.N III.

In order to promote cooperative gameplay, players can share life-giving thermal energy amongst injured members of their squad while new support weapons allow teammates to boost attack and defense capabilities. Additionally, the new dash feature allows players to sprint for short distances, bringing greater speed to combat.

LP2 Coop Screen (9)

LP2 Coop Screen (3)

The true firepower of Lost Planet comes from the heavily armed and armored robotic Vital Suits as they return in greater numbers and variety than the first game. Players now have the ability to hold up to three players as they make their way through varied environments in the game.

Lost Planet 2 is the first game to make use of Capcom’s updated proprietary game engine, MT Framework 2.0. Rendering dynamic lighting in beautiful massive environments, previous versions of MT Framework have been used on games like Resident Evil 5 and Devil May Cry 4.

For those new to the world of Lost Planet, Lost Planet 2 takes place on the planet of E.D.N. III, 10 years after the events of the first game. Terraforming efforts have melted the icy terrain of the first game and given way to revealing lush tropical jungles and harsh deserts. Players will enter this new environment and follow the exploits of their own customized snow pirate on their quest to seize control of the changing planet.

LP2 Coop Screen (7)

Capcom is also releasing the newest trailer on PSN the same day as the Lost Planet 2 demo. Previously only having shown the jungle and city environments, the new TGS trailer gives you a glimpse of the new desert environment and even bigger Akrid than seen before.

We hope you enjoy the demo and newest trailer! Make sure to look for more news and information about Lost Planet 2 coming over the next few months to the PlayStation Blog!

+ Roxas598 on September 16th, 2009 at 9:05 am said:

what about us in the EU will we be seeing this at the same time?

Brian Keltner's Avatar

+ bkeltner on September 16th, 2009 at 10:36 am said:

Hi Roxas, Yes the EU is scheduled to get the demo at the same time.

+ zombie9 on September 16th, 2009 at 9:05 am said:

probly will wait for reviews to come in before I decide on this one. I don’t trust capcom any more. Also how much DLC is already being made for this game even though the game is not out and will not be included on the blueray disc?

+ AKGermany on September 16th, 2009 at 9:05 am said:

Good for people who like co-op. I don’t, sorry.
Resident Evil 5 suffered from Capcom’s forced co-op mandate and this game probably will as well. I liked the first game on 360, but this multiplayer focus is going too far. Won’t buy or even try.

+ Gorvi on September 16th, 2009 at 9:06 am said:

Good stuff, I wasn’t a very big fan of the first game, the controls felt a bit awkward, but this one has potential, especially with the heavy co-op focus. :)

+ macbelonwu10 on September 16th, 2009 at 9:06 am said:

As this is a multi-platform title You have to give them a round off applause on the engine they are using the games looks on par with uncharted 2 if not better at some parts.

+ Roxas598 on September 16th, 2009 at 9:06 am said:

sorry for the double my browser went nuts :|

+ BlooodyCow on September 16th, 2009 at 9:08 am said:

@41 tenshin78
Thank god. We don’t want someone whining about the whiners.

+ Jssom on September 16th, 2009 at 9:10 am said:

Jeff tell Capcom that we are thankful for this demo and we appreciate them not forgetting us.

The fact that this demo has extra mission is great too.

Capcom <3

Brian Keltner's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on September 16th, 2009 at 10:42 am said:

I just did :-)

+ TheInfectedBy590 on September 16th, 2009 at 9:12 am said:

Great News! The game looks amazing! :D

+ SnakePete on September 16th, 2009 at 9:15 am said:

Yay!!!
I’m picking up all games with co-op that is more than just 2-players. This games looks pretty bada$$, too!

CO-OP FTW!!

+ phinnv8 on September 16th, 2009 at 9:16 am said:

Wow if those are PS3 screenshots the game looks fun. I hope this time around it takes advantage of PS3′s hardware, because Sony themselves sure can’t (see cross game voice chat).

+ StrykerIsland on September 16th, 2009 at 9:16 am said:

Awesomesauce.

+ Sekoku on September 16th, 2009 at 9:18 am said:

Hopefully it isn’t as badly ported as the first game (Oh, hey, you could probably put those levels in MT Framework 2.0 and release it as Lost Planet: Colonies on the PS3? ;) ;))

+ BigBoss712 on September 16th, 2009 at 9:22 am said:

That’s great, can’t wait to play it, liked the first one.

+ zeePh3nom on September 16th, 2009 at 9:25 am said:

Sweet news!! bring it on!!!

+ BraveQuiskeyan on September 16th, 2009 at 9:29 am said:

I got to play the the first lost planet demo and wasn’t really thrilled about it,but by just the look of this mammoth I’ve gotta tell you that am buying this one…

+ Kenshin71 on September 16th, 2009 at 9:30 am said:

Why don’t Sony and Capcom release the original Lost Planet on PSN? Loads of people would buy it, play it through before getting the sequel.

+ DonnyG on September 16th, 2009 at 9:32 am said:

I hated the first Lost Planet. Not that fun.

I hope this one is better and look forward to trying it out.

+ Moosehole on September 16th, 2009 at 9:33 am said:

This game is meh.

+ danilorezende on September 16th, 2009 at 9:40 am said:

Excellent, better than the XBOX LIVE DEMO, that was bad.

Great to check more of the game!!!

Waiting…

+ Berae on September 16th, 2009 at 9:40 am said:

Lost planet 2 looks very good compared to the first one who sucked hard.
Coop is always a win cant wait to try it out

+ poodude on September 16th, 2009 at 9:42 am said:

I hated the original Lost Planet, but I’ll give this a try.

+ FUCHIPATAS on September 16th, 2009 at 9:44 am said:

Downloaded this for 360 at end of August and still haven’t gotten ’round to playing it.

+ uns33n_H3R0 on September 16th, 2009 at 9:45 am said:

Nice! I knew they would make a demo for us.

+ makingdamage on September 16th, 2009 at 9:47 am said:

Now that´s what I´m talking about! :)
Better late then never.

+ TheGuardianFID on September 16th, 2009 at 9:53 am said:

That’s awesome, this one’s looking great, can’t wait to play it!!! :D

+ RavageHeitaro on September 16th, 2009 at 10:05 am said:

this is an honest question,will it have splitscreen?

Seeing that LP2 is built on an upgraded version of RE5′s engine, i was expecting splitscreen.

+ Dice_for_Death_ on September 16th, 2009 at 10:14 am said:

Cool demo, bro.

+ sNsKid on September 16th, 2009 at 10:20 am said:

I am so exited for this. I’m glad I own a PS3. :)

+ RSX-0806 on September 16th, 2009 at 10:23 am said:

Nice!
I love a good co-op experience so keep em coming CAPCOM.

+ DarKaoZ on September 16th, 2009 at 10:48 am said:

Capcom, where is our DMC5!?! We already got Lost Planet 2 and Dead Rising 2 in production. Where is DMC5??

+ Magwheels on September 16th, 2009 at 10:48 am said:

Games looking pretty good.

+ DMPrince on September 16th, 2009 at 10:48 am said:

What build is this demo from?

+ BigBoss114 on September 16th, 2009 at 10:51 am said:

One question, will we be able to use R1 to shoot and L1 to throw grenades instead of R2 and L2 from the first Lost Planet? I hate it when games use R2 and L2 are used as the primary shoulder buttons like all the other PS3 owners out there.

+ BigBoss114 on September 16th, 2009 at 10:53 am said:

Will we be able to use R1 to shoot and L1 for grenades instead of R2 and L2??? Please put this feature in the game!!!

+ spideyal on September 16th, 2009 at 10:54 am said:

@reply to 37

There was an option for that?!
Wow, not that I even minded it in the first place, it’s cool to know you guys added an option! Looking forward to this demo.

+ NinjaZeroEight on September 16th, 2009 at 11:04 am said:

Can’t wait to play it! Keep up the Playstation love Capcom!!

+ vcotson on September 16th, 2009 at 11:07 am said:

is this demo also going to have a multilayer mode?

+ SolduNuts on September 16th, 2009 at 11:11 am said:

I loved LP1 even though I played it on the other system. ( I am now a loyal PS follower, never will I stray again.) Capcom thank you for your continued support of the PS community and bringing us an upgraded demo to the PSN. Maybe when I get some money I will throw down on the $60 PSN pack of most your games.

Thanks Jeff and everyone else who makes this blog possible. This is the best place to come for new straight from the people who make the games. Thank you.

+ SolduNuts on September 16th, 2009 at 11:13 am said:

*news, not new

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on September 16th, 2009 at 11:19 am said:

great news..the demo will motivate me to get it or disappointed me to not even look at it :p all in all i HOPE is good..i njoy playing co-op games..(like RE5)thats what gaming now and days should be all about and im glad Capcom is taking it alil more serious than other game companies.

+ Gr00v3r06 on September 16th, 2009 at 11:20 am said:

Thanks for bringing out this demo on the PS3. I’m glad you didn’t wait too long to bring it out. Oh corse same day as the 360 demo would have been better.

Also yea Split-screen support? It is great to have a friend over and play games with.

+ soysauce on September 16th, 2009 at 11:21 am said:

Sweet, thanks for the demo and extra levels. I loved the first Lost Planet and cannot wait for this version to come out. I have a close group of friends that I play co-op games with. Thanks for the 4 player co-op love. Guaranteed buy from the 4 of us just cause of the co-op.

Thanks for not forgetting the PS3 community and again for the co-op.

+ joejohnPSN on September 16th, 2009 at 11:31 am said:

the original Lost Planet was the shiz! And this one is looking to be at least twice as good!

+ monoliet on September 16th, 2009 at 11:36 am said:

no monsterhunter3 game on ps3 = no capcom games !!!

+ BONEVIPER on September 16th, 2009 at 11:46 am said:

I have never played the first game but after seeing this Im inpressed!!!!

+ DNAgent on September 16th, 2009 at 11:46 am said:

Hopefully Capcom doesn’t gimp the PS3 version like they did with the first game. Then again, I won’t buy it so I really don’t care personally.

+ Miles514 on September 16th, 2009 at 11:52 am said:

So we wait and xbox gets it early. WORTH IT FOR ADDITIONAl stuff to right out.

+ Miles514 on September 16th, 2009 at 11:52 am said:

Try out. my bad.

+ jarhead906 on September 16th, 2009 at 11:55 am said:

Nice. I’ve never liked the idea of exclusive demos (temporary or not) but I’m glad to see that Sony has stepped it up recently to compete with Microsoft’s consistent business strategies.