PS3-TLOU Left Behind

Motion Controller Update Part III: Deep Dive into the E3 Demo

Chris Morell's Avatar + Posted by Chris Morell on Sep 18, 2009 // Senior Social Media Specialist

In the third part of the motion controller Blog series, Richard Marks and Anton Mikhailov break down their E3 on-stage demo in more detail. From plasma whips and drawing, to abstract domino snakes and real time strategy-style games, you’ll see some things you’re already familiar with, as well as some never before seen applications that didn’t quite make the show. More details are included in the video below.

Stay tuned for more exclusive motion controller updates soon. If you’re just tuning in, be sure to check out Motion Controller Update Parts One and Two as well.

132 Comments

+ JumpMan33 on September 18th, 2009 at 1:01 pm said:

so is it gonna need batteries? or is it going to be like the sixaxis and have rechargeable batteries already inside?

+ Chippendale666 on September 18th, 2009 at 1:04 pm said:

The motion controller looks promising. Can’t wait until it’s released next year.

I wonder how much it’ll cost…..

+ scorpio182 on September 18th, 2009 at 1:20 pm said:

I’m so looking forward to this.

I hope the support is better also because i have a PSeye on my TV and it’s hardly used.

My allowing for casual games ala the wii i love that idea. Now i got my hardcore machine for me and some casual games for guests…sweeetttttttttt….

+ scorpio182 on September 18th, 2009 at 1:21 pm said:

Oops, not sure what i wrote. I meant to say i love the fact that this is an option and the PS3 will have some of those casual titles.

Brain Academy would be sweet.

+ LukaX23 on September 18th, 2009 at 1:25 pm said:

I’m sold. I’m sure everyone at Sony is happy to know that.

+ darkwing75 on September 18th, 2009 at 1:28 pm said:

are there analog sticks?

+ saik on September 18th, 2009 at 1:31 pm said:

My question is, if you were to play a FPS game, something like a horror survivor game that requires you to walk around and use the flashlight. How exactly would you be able to walk around? Wouldn’t you need some sort of second attachment with an analog stick?

+ zombie_56 on September 18th, 2009 at 1:37 pm said:

baseball and hockey games are gonna be amazing

+ MultiversalNomad on September 18th, 2009 at 1:47 pm said:

Many people have said this already, and I have even said it myself in previous Motion Controller videos, but it must be echoed: This NEEDS an analog stick or else things will be VERY limited. Something like the concepts shown in comment #19 by kosluftar would be brilliant.

Otherwise, I am extremely excited for the Motion Controller.

+ Gekidami on September 18th, 2009 at 1:47 pm said:

Are we ever going to get a video that shows us what actually on the wand? We really want to know if it’ll have any form of analogue or D-pad.

+ Enforcer_X on September 18th, 2009 at 1:49 pm said:

AWESOME!
I can’t wait for these!
They look like so much fun!
Love these extra videos!
Thank you!
Fire Snakes FTW!

+ frylock25 on September 18th, 2009 at 1:52 pm said:

ok motion controls are cool and all but i am still havin problems with my dualshock even after firmware 3.01. sony i hope you read this and fix it. the problem is when the system does a shutdown from inactivity it loses sync with my dualshock. that is about the only time i seems to still be doing it. otherwise it seems to stay connected and my six axis never loses connection

+ Callahan09 on September 18th, 2009 at 2:00 pm said:

Two suggestions, Sony:

1. Make it have an analog stick. Dual analog functionality is very important to some games, single analog in others, make every wand have one stick, and then for the games that you can use dual-wands, you’ll also have dual-analog, which will make these controllers extremely versatile for what developers can do with them. Any hardcore type of game design could be accomplished with awesome motion controls if you implement an analog stick on both controllers.

2. Hot Shots Golf 6 on the PS3, with motion wand support for the golf swing, and Play/Create/Share so we can customize our golfer avatars and create our own courses to share online. It would make the PS3 and the motion wands an absolute must-own for a lot of people. The Hot Shots series is absolutely perfect to showcase Play/Create/Share and the motion wands. Please!

+ Wollan on September 18th, 2009 at 2:02 pm said:

If you don’t include an analog stick you’re handing your competitors a big, juicy opportunity to make the motion controller standard.

Without an analog stick on the remote itself you will:
- Take away the option for game devs to develop games where a single person can control using 2x motion controllers. There simply isn’t any way to move around and at the same time have the dual pointer functionality.
- Force devs that have 3D movement in their games to offer consumers Motion controller + DualShock 3 as the ONLY option. A two-hand gamepad in one grip… it’s a pretty hack solution and far less pretty than a Wii remote + nunchuck.

Also, don’t suggest that we should stand up and walk around or that we should hold a second motion controller vertically as a big joystick because we all know that’s horrible alternatives, dedicated gamers know this.

This is like the N64 controller –> DualShock opportunity all over again. You must recognize it! The tech you’re demonstrating here is mindbogglingly precise but without an analog stick on the remote itself it will remain a mere refinement and not become the universal standard the DualShock became.

+ ZekeXenu on September 18th, 2009 at 2:13 pm said:

Nice little demo. It looks like the tracking technology is coming along nicely.

But there still hasn’t been any mention of analog sticks. I hope there are analog sticks otherwise I feel that you’ll be missing a great opportunity and all that great motion controller tech will be for not.

We need more than “waggle”-based games on the PS3!

+ Violater on September 18th, 2009 at 2:14 pm said:

Sony needs to understand it and soon, the thing needs an Analog stick, forget releasing it without one. Stop trying to be the one legged man playing catchup.

+ plaztiksyke on September 18th, 2009 at 2:23 pm said:

For the people who are concerned about a lack of support, maybe Sony will add some trophy patches to the existing PS Eye games to prove them wrong :)

I asked a question about EyePet that never got answered, but maybe it can be answered here:
Can the software detect light levels/color in the real room and apply a similar kind of light to the virtual items projected onto the picture of the real space? The racket looks cool, but without any attempt at matching it to the environment, it looks a bit awkward.

Just tracking the intensity variations coming off of the controller’s sphere might allow for a decent simulation of lighting in the room. At two sample points across a decent distance, you could then calculate at what point(s) in space the virtual item’s lighting should be. The same could be done with the reflection’s color skew; if it is skewing blue, then the virtual lighting could adjust. An implicit calibration step could help make this kind of thing more accurate, as opposed to amortizing the calibration during gameplay.

Either way, very cool and I’m looking forward to more. I hope my questions from the comments I made on the previous posts are answered eventually, as well.

+ Nono-Le-Ouf on September 18th, 2009 at 2:24 pm said:

J’aimerais tellement que ça soit a 100% et que on profite bien

+ Jack1982cp on September 18th, 2009 at 2:37 pm said:

Looks pretty cool. I’ll be interested to see what kind of games are released that take advantage of this technology.

+ Dehshizknight on September 18th, 2009 at 2:38 pm said:

Man, with all this info coming, it looks like Sony seriously is ready to come out with this in the coming months.

CAN’T WAIT TILL SPRING! God of War III for the win!

+ NoxNoctisUmbra on September 18th, 2009 at 2:41 pm said:

lets see call of duty, killzone or Resistance game! with this controls!

+ NEJI64 on September 18th, 2009 at 2:44 pm said:

ok i read a number of people yelling out it need a analog stick.

correct me if i’m wrong but didn’t they say this is not the FINAL PRODUCT.

+ WackyWeedCreed on September 18th, 2009 at 2:52 pm said:

Amazing stuff!

Keep up the good work!

+ Wollan on September 18th, 2009 at 2:54 pm said:

#73 NEJI64, you will find it to be more effective requesting a feature before the product is finalized. ;)

And they went over the buttons in the first blog post and analog stick was not mentioned…

+ quiomar01 on September 18th, 2009 at 3:01 pm said:

man. I would love it if okami were to be re-released for this motion control.

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on September 18th, 2009 at 3:07 pm said:

- Needs an analog stick
- Civilization Revolution 2 with the wand, hell yea

+ superstewie on September 18th, 2009 at 3:11 pm said:

am i right it’s shipping in 3 to 6months?
as i expect sony has now started testing? and the final design is close to being wrapped up pending testing results? (testing takes a month, design tweaking takes another month, and production takes another month “3 months to production upto 6 months for shipping”.

i know my product design cycle :P

+ superstewie on September 18th, 2009 at 3:15 pm said:

3 months would be December/january, 6 months to production means it ships in june/july 2010.

personally i expect june/july 2010, as some games would be finished as well.

+ superstewie on September 18th, 2009 at 3:23 pm said:

i can’t wait for all the awesome exclusive games from first/third party’s!

sony should ship it in a bundle of two wands and a camera!

+ NeoMahi on September 18th, 2009 at 3:38 pm said:

Just my opinion. I think Sony needs to have a game in development. Like a serious game in development. And need to get this on TV in television shows. Promotion is always good. GET THIS PROMOTED SONY! Even with rumor of Wii games getting ported to the PS3??? Yuck. Some seriously awesome game needs to be done.

+ Anubis80 on September 18th, 2009 at 3:43 pm said:

Cant wait for this controller. I already have the Playstation Eye.

+ DHILIFE on September 18th, 2009 at 3:54 pm said:

@46
That’s exactly what I was thinking. RE6?

+ halophiliac on September 18th, 2009 at 4:05 pm said:

Shut up about analog sticks already. Do you really think they overlooked that?

The left motion controller is so accurate it could be the analog stick itself. Just lean it the way you want your character to go. Then you still have the right one to aim.

You are all overlooking the critical element here. It is lag. Go watch the video again. Look at Dr. Marks at the very beginning of the video. You can see his actions displayed on the tv a half a second behind the real world actions.

+ halophiliac on September 18th, 2009 at 4:10 pm said:

(that being said this is still a DAY 1 purchase! Love the accuracy!)

+ D-Squad3 on September 18th, 2009 at 4:11 pm said:

This is awesome! 1:1 FTW

+ Satish13 on September 18th, 2009 at 4:11 pm said:

The coolest thing!, best things is, for people that already own a Playstation Eye (i’ve yet to get one) don’t have to buy like a separate sensor bar or anything. I’d really like to see “dual controller play” as well, one controller would be like a gun or sword, and like the other controller (sort of like how the wii has a degraded secondary “nun-chuck”) but in this case, its another motion controller which can be like a flash light, or shield. Even stealth games, wrap ur characters arms around the character on screen and interrogate the enemy and like knock out or “expire” him lol. really and amazing revolution for the PS3,

+ mcbuttz78 on September 18th, 2009 at 4:22 pm said:

a day 1 buy for me,, i just 3 questions which are really easy to answer.. 1. how much will tthis cost?? 2. when will this be in stores ??.3. will we get a game with the purchase of this 3 wand . ty in advance

+ HurricaneGautam on September 18th, 2009 at 4:27 pm said:

I cant wait to play an RTS with that controller! But the Controller NEEDS an analog stick! Otherwise itll be too difficult to move a character around, also i dont see a wrist strap. If theres no wrist strap i can guarantee sony is gonna get sued.

+ HurricaneGautam on September 18th, 2009 at 4:36 pm said:

Oh and who ever suggested tilting the controller to move forward, that is a very bad idea. Once the controller is tilted forward how could you swing it? It would be like you have to move towards a person stop then swing your sword(Im thinking in terms of Zelda).That would be a bad idea, just add an analog stick PLEASE SONY!

+ Stragen8 on September 18th, 2009 at 5:13 pm said:

If only Sony had a first party owned franchise like zelda that would be so cool (they might but i dont know about it). Also hopefully they keep getting good games after launch unlike wii that had no games that can match twilight princess of mp3 corruption.

+ GreyLynx on September 18th, 2009 at 5:16 pm said:

guys get more third party on this and fast please I don’t want this dying as fast as Eyetoy’s and Playstation Eye’s Popularity and to tell you it’s better then those of your both of your rival because it has a focal point.

Here’s my take a few days after E3:

and it’s shaping up to be that

+ GreyLynx on September 18th, 2009 at 5:18 pm said:

and by focal point I mean a 100% accurate point to center on unlike the elder of the two rivals you have which relies on IR

+ Jeigh on September 18th, 2009 at 5:46 pm said:

I’m getting more and more worried with the continued silence over how this will be instituted in actual games. I don’t have a great deal of space to work with for ‘real-world positioning.’ And that won’t help when needing to move a character around that world- I doubt they’ll be confined to a space similar in size to my own. The company line is that R&D is being worked out in collaboration with developers and they have ideas on how to use this, but I’m worried about this becoming one of those sticking points with the ‘turning a blind-eye’ statements we’ve come to know in the past…

Maybe having one of those companies that’s been working with this thing enlighten us as to what they’ve been doing with it will help. I’ll wait ’til TGS before I start to get seriously concerned.

+ kelevra16 on September 18th, 2009 at 6:06 pm said:

Awesome. I really like the depth part about the motion controllers. This would be really fun with my family, just hope the controllers aren’t that expensive. Also have to agree with others that this does need an analog stick.

I would really like to try this with an FPS, like Killzone and add/combine the controller to a gun/rifle like objects so I can hold it that way… like a real gun. And with the analog stick on, it’d be easier to move, then with the buttons, reload jump and so on. And #46 idea is pretty good with the flash light.

Overall awesome, now I’m just concerned about software for this. The demo looks good but it doesn’t catch me as much (graphic wise), I really like the drawing aspects though. Maybe my screen isn’t just bright enough.

+ Skater_Ricky on September 18th, 2009 at 6:11 pm said:

@ kosluftar that Concept Of the Motion Contollers in thos Pictures were awesome.. yea it would be really cool to put them togeather to have a full Contoller… id say.. that 2 contollers combined into one is something i HOPE SONY looks into.

Cant wait for the Full Concept to come to Full Production :D

+ sikbta on September 18th, 2009 at 6:17 pm said:

This is great!, you have to put all this stuff included with this controller and everyone will buy it DAY ONE!