Final Fantasy VII Remake

Sep 23

Demon’s Souls PS3 Video Walkthrough Part Two

Aram Jabbari's Avatar Posted by Aram Jabbari on Sep 23, 2009 // Manager of PR and Sales, ATLUS

AtlusA.R.A.M. here with part two of our Demon’s Souls video walkthrough series. While our first part served primarily as an introduction to the game for newcomers, focusing on basics, this second video dives headlong into the most significant, most discussed, most acclaimed feature in the upcoming PlayStation 3-exclusive action RPG: online functionality.

Where most games offer multiplayer as a separate mode, something detached from the main experience, Demon’s Souls takes the single-player games from online PS3 owners across the country, treats them as individual worlds in an interconnected universe, and allows the worlds to bridge from time to time, leading to some exciting cooperative and competitive interaction between players, in addition to the awesome messaging and bloodstain features.

There’s never really been a gaming experience quite like Demon’s Souls, and we’re excited to be able to show you, in detail, exactly why that’s the case.

Demon’s Souls releases on October 6 in two flavors: standard ($59.99) and deluxe ($69.99). The deluxe edition nets you a 160-page strategy guide (not sold separately!) and a beautiful embossed slipcase with foil accents. Pre-order EITHER version at a participating retailer (while supplies last) and you’ll also receive a 40-page, full-color art book and the game’s full soundtrack CD — all at no extra cost to you.

Thanks for all your support!

+ Cyril_Lucifer on September 25th, 2009 at 6:02 pm said:

Thank you, ATLUS, for localizing this game for North American audiences. I typically don’t buy Deluxe Editions, but I finally gave in about a month ago and pre-ordered it. I hope it has success for you and isn’t overshadowed by the disgustingly large amount of great titles coming out around the same time.

This release almost makes me forgive you for no Growlanser!

+ Chuckbait on September 26th, 2009 at 12:45 pm said:

Pre-ordered Deluxe a few days ago. Check out the new trailer on the PSN store if you’re still on the fence.

+ Zelisius on September 26th, 2009 at 2:11 pm said:

I admit, I had NEVER heard of this game til about 3 months or so ago.

A friend was telling me about it, and it caught my interest. You see, I’ve been itching for a good dungeon dweller RPG for some time now, and from what I’ve read and seen thus far, I am stoked!

Already pre order the Deluxe Edition and paid for in full.(Loved that youtube video with that guy smelling it all!)

Guess long story short, I plan on putting MANY hours into this game and the way the online’s setup sounds quite ingenious!

Guess I’m going to have to go out and buy a weeks worth of coffee and get an IV ready for when this game finally gets here!

+ Indrux_12 on September 27th, 2009 at 1:20 pm said:

So would I be able to play this game without someone randomly poping in to try and kill me? I like the way the co-op sounds and I’m always one for that game mode, but I’m never really a fan of things like 1vs1 compedative.

I’ve been exited for this game since I heard that it was comming to NA, however I was also wondering how far you’d have to backtrack when you die?

+ Indrux_12 on September 27th, 2009 at 1:24 pm said:

Oh, woops, missed the the response to 101. I’d still like to know if you can play online co-op without worrying about others trying to mess you up.

+ unr3alek on September 27th, 2009 at 6:12 pm said:

Is there offline co-op?

+ axl4002 on September 27th, 2009 at 7:26 pm said:

No, there is no offline co-op.

You also cannot play online and only have like one part of it. You either play offline, or take the whole deal~

+ NaturalForce on September 27th, 2009 at 7:35 pm said:

80 bucks will be a total burn of my wallet, but I think I would enjoy it, still poundering whether or not to spend it now or later…still waiting on POSSIBLE localization of ToV PS3…
oh well, I only play RPGs…which means the only games I will buy the future will be…
1. FF13
2. ToV(hopefully it hits)
3. White Knight Chronicles
4. MAYBE Bayonetta, I’m so so interested with these action games

+ Zozmic on September 29th, 2009 at 9:49 pm said:

If Aram is around, regardless of the company that made the games, what two games would you compare Demon Souls to? For example, I get a sort of Phantasy Star Online, Meets Diablo sort of feel. Feels nice. Real nice.

+ BradleyUK on September 23rd, 2009 at 9:59 am said:

Where is part one?

+ Neil on September 23rd, 2009 at 10:00 am said:

Sweet, I’ll have to watch this a bit later. Cannot wait for this game.

+ trustter on September 23rd, 2009 at 9:48 am said:

I am getting this game for sure. I never pre-order but I always get games on day 1.

Thanks Atlus and Sony.

+ Aram Jabbari on September 23rd, 2009 at 9:56 am said:

If you\’re getting the game for certain on day 1, I advise that you at least consider pre-ordering… we\’re offering a 40-page art book and the game\’s FULL soundtrack as pre-order bonuses at participating retailers, and since supplies will be limited and we have no plans to release those extras later, it would be your only chance to snag them.

Here\’s a site with more info (and samples) of the pre-order bonuses:

+ Hohlraum on September 23rd, 2009 at 9:50 am said:

I’m guessing this game 1. gunna be crap and 2. going to tank. Unless there is a really really good story go to along with it some of these RPGs are just a grind which gets old very fast. Look at Sacred 2 it is epic but boring as heck.

+ Aram Jabbari on September 23rd, 2009 at 10:00 am said:

The story in Demon\’s Souls, while understated, is far better presented than a typical \”hack and slash\” action RPG (a category some fans of the game would be hesitant to throw it into, as it suggests somewhat shallow game design, which is not the case).

Expect to see well-presented, cinematic cutscenes throughout your play experience (with nice graphical touches like HDR, depth blur, film-style camera movements, etc), telling the story of a kingdom doomed by the power lust of its King, ruled now by an ancient evil demon called \”The Old One.\”

In many games, story is told as much through atmosphere and visual design, and again, so too is the case with Demon\’s Souls. The game will not beat you across the face with its narrative, but it is there, and you will care about saving the Kingdom when all is said and done.

Hope you give it a chance!

+ LokeSTL on September 23rd, 2009 at 9:50 am said:

You guys localizing any more PS3 RPGs? Got anything up your sleeves for TGS?!! Thanks for your continued support of bringing RPGs to the U.S. and I look forward to Atlus’ future PS3 RPG releases.

+ BigBoss712 on September 23rd, 2009 at 9:11 am said:

All those online features are very interesting, boss battles looks epic.

+ Aram Jabbari on September 23rd, 2009 at 12:54 pm said:

Boss battles are indeed epic.

Most tower over you, and some can kill most characters with just a couple blows, but in the tradition of all-time classic boss fights, they have patterns and tendencies that can be observed and mastered. With time, veterans will find boss fights to be exhilarating tests of patience, skill, and timing, but certainly nothing unmanageable.

One of my personal favorites is the Dragon God. You\’ll know why when you encounter him. :)

Thanks for the comment!

+ LokeSTL on September 23rd, 2009 at 9:45 am said:

Got my DE on pre-order. Can’t friggin’ wait until 10/6!!!

I have to say that I am the least bit interested in the online features. I do like the bloodstain messages idea. I may use the co-op feature if I’m in a bind, but not unless I feel it is absolutely necessary. To be fair, I’m not a fan of multiplayer/co-op in any game or any form. I will reserve my official judgement until I try the features myself, but I doubt I will feel very different about it.

FYI – the co-op feature doesn’t seem like anything new. It looks like what I’ve seen in other games like Mercs 2.

+ Aram Jabbari on September 23rd, 2009 at 9:51 am said:

The beauty of the online in Demon\’s Souls is that aside from a few invasions from other players when you\’re in living form (and expect these to be few and far between), the online features only affect your single player experience as much as you care for them to (and of course, you can always play offline, too).

The first time you narrowly avoid death courtesy of a trap, ambush, or pitfall thanks to another player\’s message or after watching their bloodstain ghost suffer the fate first, you\’ll fall in love with how subtle and seamlessly it\’s all integrated (and that\’s not even going into the thrill of cooperative or competitive play, although you do mention they\’re not your cup of tea).

We\’re excited for you all to be able to play it on 10/6!

+ Jon_Mclane on September 23rd, 2009 at 10:02 am said:

This is my most anticipated game of the year. I already have it reserved and as odd as it may sound, the only reason I didn’t import is because I want to see that atlus logo at the boot up screen. I love Atlus, you guys bring us the best rpgs and I hope to see more support for the ps3 in the future

+ Aram Jabbari on September 23rd, 2009 at 10:04 am said:

In which case, we thank you for not importing and then taping our logo onto your TV during boot up :D

We love you, too!

+ OmegaArchetype on September 23rd, 2009 at 10:06 am said:

Well, it’s receiving great reviews (it’s got a 91% on gamerankings and a 90% on metacritic,) and I’ve heard nothing but good things about it.

Maybe you should check out some previews and what-not and wait until you actually play the game to say stuff like that? I can understand not being interested, not everyone has the same tastes, but to assume it’s crap is pretty ignorant IMO.

+ Moosehole on September 23rd, 2009 at 10:11 am said:

Really, REALLY looking forward to playing this! Atlus does such an amazing job bringing titles to the US, and they always seem to choose the right games.

Also, Crimson Gem Saga is my favorite PSP game.

+ GGCAN on September 23rd, 2009 at 10:11 am said:

Thanks Aram.

Got my pre-order in after you people confirmed that this is also available in Canada. (you gave me the Canadian order site).

Can’t wait for the game to come out.

+ XKILLER44 on September 23rd, 2009 at 10:16 am said:

Sweet Cant wait Demon’s Souls,Uncharted 2 and R&C:ACIT. October ROCKS

+ Crimsondramon on September 23rd, 2009 at 9:11 am said:

The stones can be useful when you need to recover your body, but I prefer to be in soul form myself since you don’t lose world tendency when you die in soul form.

Though, it’s nice to have aliies against certain bosses, like flamelurker.

+ Blkant on September 23rd, 2009 at 9:12 am said:

October 6ths sure does seem like a long ways away…

+ Lambrick on September 23rd, 2009 at 9:13 am said:

wow, that’s actually a very interesting use of the PSN connectivity. i know i’ve read and seen details of all this before, but seeing it all in action has made it all the more amazing.

+ Aram Jabbari on September 23rd, 2009 at 12:55 pm said:

The best part is that it is not a separate mode; you log into your PSN account and when you create your character and start to play, you\’re already online. By the time you\’re out of the tutorial, you\’ll be seeing all sorts of subtle elements of the online functionality (and that\’s before you even play a cooperative or competitive session with another person!).

+ Mies2000 on September 23rd, 2009 at 9:17 am said:

This looks massive!
I am very interested!

+ xKOROSHIYAx on September 23rd, 2009 at 9:20 am said:

Already imported the Asian version long ago. I hope you new players enjoy the game. It really is a lot of fun. I sunk well over 100 hours into it.

+ freakzilla149 on September 23rd, 2009 at 9:20 am said:

AWSUUUUUUUM!!! If only someone would publish it in the EU.

+ InFaMoUs1- on September 23rd, 2009 at 9:21 am said:

I’m getting this game but I’m going to wait because I hate buying so many games at once. Last year two games which I bought and never played were DeadSpace and FALLOUT 3,I completely forgot about them until summer and I just beat FALLOUT 3 and have yet to start DeadSpace, don’t think I ever will.

+ Aram Jabbari on September 23rd, 2009 at 12:58 pm said:

There really are too many good games coming out; my wallet feels it, too. :)

The good thing about Demon\’s Souls, for whenever you do get around to trying it out, is that you can leave your game in progress at any point and pick it up right where you left off. No archaic, limiting save systems to be found here.

The game autosaves so consistently (to ensure that the consequences of your decisions/actions are experienced) that you\’ll never feel like you have to play the game for extended chunks at a time.

+ SmoothC911 on September 23rd, 2009 at 9:23 am said:

wow I hadn’t heard of this until now… it looks very interesting and since the game has been out overseas it should be pretty well sorted… count me in for a purchase! :)

+ Arthael_ on September 23rd, 2009 at 9:25 am said:

Can’t wait.

Hope we’ll get it in Europe as well.

Demon’s Souls 2’s announcement at TGS ? ^^

+ IceCold on September 23rd, 2009 at 9:27 am said:

Seems like a great game, but will have to wait until i beat my backlog.

+ pasufarin on September 23rd, 2009 at 9:32 am said:

I’ve had the deluxe edition pre-ordered since it was made available and am really looking forward to this game.

Thanks for keeping us informed about it. Hopefully people better understand the multiplayer aspect now, as that was confusing some based on comments left on earlier posts.

+ spunnups on September 23rd, 2009 at 9:35 am said:

This game has me intrigued. It’s like oblivion, but much faster paced, which is what sort of held me back from completing it. This game looks to be much more interesting in terms of working together, gathering clues from fallen comrades, etc. I expect to pick up the deluxe edition ASAP.

This is great, I’ll have Uncharted 2 and Demon’s Souls right around launch. With Ratchet and Clank:ACIT shortly after. MW2 and AC2 can wait, First Party Titles always come first!!!

+ King_DX on September 23rd, 2009 at 9:37 am said:

Well I was going to buy 2 games in the next couple of months, Uncharted and Demon Souls but my DS3 has just randomly died for no reason forcing me to miss out on this game because I have to get a new joystick.

Hopefully I will get to enjoy this game and the community for it online will be vibrant but I have to get Uncharted 2…

+ Dice_for_Death_ on September 23rd, 2009 at 9:38 am said:

I’m interested, just not interested enough to buy. Hopefully, that’ll change, but I’m still not feeling it.

+ sscoolChea on September 23rd, 2009 at 9:41 am said:

Day One

Crazy October

+ Aram Jabbari on September 23rd, 2009 at 9:44 am said:

Thank you for your support, sscoolChea!

+ OmegaArchetype on September 23rd, 2009 at 9:44 am said:

Awesome! I’ve had it pre-ordered for quite a while now. I’m getting the deluxe edition and I can’t wait.

I’m also excited for NGS2 and Uncharted 2. It’s going to be an awesome (albeit busy,) October for me.

+ GamerMoney on September 23rd, 2009 at 10:16 am said:

finally, been waiting for a us version

+ Kenshin71 on September 23rd, 2009 at 10:17 am said:

One thing that really bothered me playing through the game was that the messages to choose from are not in alphabetic order. Maybe it was because they were translated in that order or something but they are all random. This means you have to scroll through all the messages to find the particular one you want instead of just scrolling down to V for Valuable Item for instance. It’s a really clunky way of doing it.

Hope Atlus can sort this out and maybe get From to release a patch for current owners that allows alphabetic sorting of messages.

+ Korbei83 on September 23rd, 2009 at 11:06 am said:

This game is gonna kick my ass hard. So hard. I can’t wait.

Already pre-ordered. (An exceedingly rare occurrence for me. Feel special.)

+ Aram Jabbari on September 23rd, 2009 at 11:14 am said:

We\’re lucky to have fans like you.

+ V_Ben on September 23rd, 2009 at 11:38 am said:

if only this would come to the uk, i really wanna buy it!

+ B-RadGfromOV on September 23rd, 2009 at 11:42 am said:

This game is gonna be waayyy too hard, only because I’m not very good at this type of game, but that’s where having friends who love rpgs come in. I’d say the co-op and bloodstain messages will make it playable enough, glad you put those in!

+ EmpireNO on September 23rd, 2009 at 11:45 am said:

Awesome stuff, when is it coming to Europe?

+ Aram Jabbari on September 23rd, 2009 at 11:55 am said:

There are currently no plans for the game to be released in Europe.

Here\’s hoping a European publisher decides to bring it to your region!

+ Wuggyboobeaufuf on September 23rd, 2009 at 11:10 am said:

How much will the Deluxe “Stop Importing It!” Edition cost in Canada?

That is the version I’m keen on getting, but would like to know the price.

+ Aram Jabbari on September 23rd, 2009 at 11:29 am said:

The NA MSRPs for the standard and deluxe editions are $59.99 and $69.99, respectively.

We\’re not in charge of what retailers actually choose to charge for the game, but due to the conversion rate and additional shipping costs, it seems retailers in Canada will be selling the game for 69.99 and 79.99 CDN, respectively.

Hope that helps!

+ TheGuardianFID on September 23rd, 2009 at 11:27 am said:

I’m preordereing the collector’s edition, the game looks fantastic, nicely done guys!!! :D

+ Link01 on September 23rd, 2009 at 11:48 am said:

Will the sound track be on a blue ray disk or copyable to the HDD? Oh, and did you guys add the new PS3 boxart logo?

+ Aram Jabbari on September 23rd, 2009 at 12:19 pm said:

The soundtrack disc is a standard audio CD, playable in any player of such media (car stereo, computer, PlayStation 1/2/3, etc).

The box art does not feature the recently revealed new PS3 logo, as it was completed prior to its unveiling.

+ jimmyfoxhound on September 23rd, 2009 at 11:49 am said:

Preordered collector’s Edition!! I’m so glad there are still publishers out there like Atlus who take a chance on something different. Without them I might not have seen some of my favorite games last gen! (Odin Sphere & Steambot Chronicles)

+ Apotheosis93 on September 23rd, 2009 at 11:51 am said:

Hey, Mr. Jabbari, long time fan, I have a question about the soul stones.
Are they perishable? Or infinite use “Key Items?”

+ Aram Jabbari on September 23rd, 2009 at 12:17 pm said:

Infinite use \”key items.\”

Once you get them, you have them.

Good question!

+ Sigmakan on September 23rd, 2009 at 11:51 am said:

Pre-order from amazon, a lot of their games are $4 cheaper for some reason and no sales tax.

This game looks great, can’t wait. I also started getting interested in Dragon Age: Origins. Both games look great!

+ Apotheosis93 on September 23rd, 2009 at 11:57 am said:

I’m lucky, caught an (More like Amazin’.com, amirite?) deal in July and preordered the Collector’s edition for a cool $35 dollars. I’m very much looking forward to Demon’s Souls.