No Man's Sky

The Last Guardian: Interview and New Video

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Sep 23, 2009 // Sr. Social Media Manager

Short and sweet: Just shown at the end of a media event for White Knight Chronicles, this interview with Team ICO Director and Game Designer Fumito Ueda. Following the Q&A, see some brand new game footage of The Last Guardian. The video does fade to black, before coming back up so be patient! Enjoy!

We’ll have an in-depth interview with Ueda-san later from the show!

130 Comments

+ loadstone007 on September 24th, 2009 at 12:19 am said:

Seems like a very cool game.
Please bring us release date info for Gran Turismo 5! I heard of a March 10′ release in Japan, but it was advertised to be released in Q4 2009. Maybe for other regions it will be released sooner?

PLEASE, we want to know! :)

+ Kenshin71 on September 24th, 2009 at 12:20 am said:

LG trailer is good, would prefer an actual game. GT5 in March 2010 Japan = major fail. Yamauchi is yanking Sony’s chain, using all that money to buy exotic sports cars instead of getting a game finished. Time to hand over 1st party car racing game duties to someone else.

+ stlthriot on September 24th, 2009 at 12:35 am said:

This video is perfect, we need more videos that show behind the scenes work and progress.
So excited for this game!

+ CRONIC_GAMER on September 24th, 2009 at 12:42 am said:

Omg omg omg Fanboy Orgasm oh oh don’t move….don’t touch it…….there’s some money on the nightstand I’ll call you sometime!

+ Kama-sama on September 24th, 2009 at 12:46 am said:

I am so excited about this game. The only thing that could probably make me more excited would be, oh say, playing through remastered versions of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus.

+ havmore on September 24th, 2009 at 12:59 am said:

basically, this game is going to be the best game ever, hopefully more people will play it than played the first 2 games seeing as how this guy is going to be putting such an insane amount of detail into the game just because he can…

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on September 24th, 2009 at 1:10 am said:

When can I buy this?

+ R-M-S-82 on September 24th, 2009 at 1:49 am said:

The animal is so child like.

+ ImperiousStout on September 24th, 2009 at 2:23 am said:

I hope you guys at Sony realize how important these games are and are actively pursuing a PS3 re-release of Ico & SotC running in 720p at 60FPS like the God of War collection. Would be an incredible promotion for for The Last Guardian.

Shoot for the Euro/Japan version of Ico with the features we never got in the USA too! Nothing has to be done with the games other than getting them to output at a higher res and smoother framerate. Extra AA & AF can’t hurt, but there’s no need to redo any textures or other assets. Keep it as simple and pure as can be.

+ AKGermany on September 24th, 2009 at 2:27 am said:

Bravo! Excellent video – thanks for the subtitles.

+ thefjk on September 24th, 2009 at 2:47 am said:

Please let the kid’s model and texture be placeholders, please!

+ odin_final on September 24th, 2009 at 2:52 am said:

WOW shadow of the colossus was one of the best games in my life

I hope this one dose the same Effect on me^_^

+ Heavy_Rain0 on September 24th, 2009 at 2:53 am said:

This game will be so freaking awesome!

+ MakasuUS on September 24th, 2009 at 3:02 am said:

Gasp. Amazing! You guys are the BEST.

+ EspadaKiller on September 24th, 2009 at 3:07 am said:

Ueda-san is so awesome, love his games.

This game is really looking pretty damn good as well! ^^

+ keiichi-morisato on September 24th, 2009 at 3:33 am said:

Superb physics.
Way to use those SPUs guys.
I’ll be getting the Deluxe/Limited Edition/Premium Edition/etc when this comes out.

+ muzzar69 on September 24th, 2009 at 3:54 am said:

anyone managed to download the MAG beta yet?
26 hours and im only up to 834MBs.
what the bloody hell is going on?

+ papolatte on September 24th, 2009 at 4:13 am said:

#1 most anticipated game for me. ICO is my favorite game, and Shadows of the Colossus follows closely behind.

+ Onna76_NL on September 24th, 2009 at 4:16 am said:

Shimatta! I’m so jealous you may interview him, not only is he my hero but he’s also pretty handsome :-) Give my regards to Ueda-san xD Hope my question is been picked out.

I so hope for an ICO / SoT collection for on the PS3 in HD. Really if that happens I’ll go crazy!!

Anouschka

+ Onna76_NL on September 24th, 2009 at 4:23 am said:

Ow concerning the game trailer, goosebumps again all over the place.

+ remanutd5 on September 24th, 2009 at 5:07 am said:

wow , STUNNING!!!!!

+ anticulture on September 24th, 2009 at 5:27 am said:

I’m glad to see that there is plenty of fan interest for a Team ICO collection on PS3, similar to the God of War treatment. Hopefully, Sony is listening. :)

I’m convinced that this is going to be the best game ever made. In order to do that, it has to be better than ICO. It must be nice, competing against yourself for such an honor.

Don’t keep us waiting too long, Team ICO.

+ Darkwend on September 24th, 2009 at 5:35 am said:

Looks absolutely beautiful. Thanks for creating truly mature games.

+ Jeigh on September 24th, 2009 at 6:09 am said:

The first poster needs to be smacked as hard as possible- possibly into an undetermined future date.

I think this is the first I’ve actually seen of the development team. Love the music and the bird-dog-thing-(which-apparently-has-some-cat-in-it). Though it’s still somewhat strange that none of the game-elements have come out yet- not that I’m worried, considering the development team.

+ HairyToeKnuckles on September 24th, 2009 at 6:13 am said:

Can we PLEASE IP ban these “First!” idiots?!

As for the game, this is my most anticipated game for the PS3 period. I fell in love with it ever since the first time I saw it (E3, I think?). It has the potential to draw a person in with the magnificent creature in a way they could easily exploit emotionally. I cannot wait for this game.

+ len1978 on September 24th, 2009 at 6:22 am said:

Remastered version of Ico and Shadow of The Colossus coming soon? Pretty please? Thanks for the update

+ crabdamage on September 24th, 2009 at 6:27 am said:

I’m going to echo sentiments of others – please remaster Ico & Shadow of the Colossus with the same love GoW is getting. Just imagine these wonderful games in HD at 60fps. The only thing that slightly diluted the originals (well SotC anyway) was the framerate.

+ JDog09 on September 24th, 2009 at 6:36 am said:

Remastered Ico and Shadow of the Colossus with trophy support and a demo for The Last Guardian please! :)

+ Scrith on September 24th, 2009 at 6:40 am said:

I sec… um… how many are we up to? I 77th the motion for ICO and SotC remastered on BlueRay, and I’m really looking forward to The Last Guardian!!

+ LokeSTL on September 24th, 2009 at 6:43 am said:

@Jeff

I’ll go ahead and throw my vote in on Ico & SoC getting the GoW Collection treatment. Easy money in the bank if you do that. Can we get some feedback about this please?

+ station3fever on September 24th, 2009 at 6:49 am said:

Well i hope this comes out late 2010. I’ll be busy playing uncharted 2 lol.

+ p_morin on September 24th, 2009 at 6:55 am said:

This game is so going to rock! It the first time I see Ueda. He seems very nice.

+ Anddo on September 24th, 2009 at 7:02 am said:

My most wanted game of this gen. So beautiful, can’t wait for 2010.

+ Armyless on September 24th, 2009 at 7:14 am said:

He hopes we’re “looking forward to it”

Ueda just received the Understatement of the Year Award!

+ p_morin on September 24th, 2009 at 7:24 am said:

Yeah… A remastered version of Ico and SotC would be great! In fact, I would be happy to see the original releases as the two first PS2 Classic games to be on PSN. Sure, 720p version running at 60fps would be great, but I’m afraid the games would lost their essence.

+ BlooodyCow on September 24th, 2009 at 7:31 am said:

Need a remaster version of ICO and SoTC dammit.
second, who did not give this blow post about this amazing game a 5/5?
Third, The Last Guardain will pwn all games release next year. TLG will be an experience like no other.
PS: Jeff, have you played it as yet?

+ nerdmanwhippy on September 24th, 2009 at 8:11 am said:

I’m gonna have to agree on this, a month or two before launch, give us Ico/SotC on bluray, it would be amazing.

Also I liked someone’s ideal, please patch in a feature to disable notifications when we get trophies. Some games are simply ruined by that little pop up window, even if it’s only once in a while, it defeats the atmosphere of the game.

And last time I checked, everything these guys do, you just get absorbed into the game, we don’t want that ruined now do we?

+ RaiderHutch on September 24th, 2009 at 8:16 am said:

I can’t think of another game that I am more excited about than this!

+ Zampano on September 24th, 2009 at 8:32 am said:

@RSX-0806

The music is from the soundtrack to Miller’s Crossing.

+ Velzorn on September 24th, 2009 at 8:36 am said:

I’m very excited about this game! It looks amazing and I cannot wait!

I really hope that Ico and Shadow of the Colossus are either re-released on the Playstation store with trophies or get a similar re-release like God of War(s) are on disc with extra features. I don’t think I or any other fan can stress that enough. Hopefully someone is listening.

+ jimmy903 on September 24th, 2009 at 8:38 am said:

This game is looking wonderful, or, uh, full of wonder?

Either way I cant wait. The visuals seem to have gotten better over the past few months, keep it up.

+ sam_w on September 24th, 2009 at 8:46 am said:

This game is going to be so awesome!!

+ Ehahneli-13 on September 24th, 2009 at 8:48 am said:

Looks like it is going to be amazing. The animations of the animal are so natural. Can’t wait for this game.

Also, like others have already said, PLEASE remaster Ico and Shadow of The Colossus like you guys did with the GOW Collection. That would be great.

+ pgsdi on September 24th, 2009 at 8:50 am said:

Amazing Amazing……..freaking Amazing. TLG looks… did I say Amazing!!

+ toology01 on September 24th, 2009 at 8:53 am said:

I also would like to see some remastered versions of Ico and Shadow OTC on a bluray, last guardian demo not needed as much cause i like to be surprised. But I missed alot of the PS2 generation so I missed out on the god of war games and Ico/shadow games. However I plan on getting God of War 3 so Im psyched about the god of war collection coming out, gives me a chance to catch up on the story.

I would like the same for this series please. Still on the fence about getting last guardian as im not sure ill know whats going on but being able to play the previous 2 games would solidify that.

+ spunnups on September 24th, 2009 at 9:02 am said:

Remastered version of Ico and Shadows of The Colossus plus Last Guardian Demo please!

+ Gringo234 on September 24th, 2009 at 9:12 am said:

Day one for me.

My only concern that the game wont be long enough and it will be somewhat short like ICO.

+ findaway on September 24th, 2009 at 9:21 am said:

I think it’s safe for me to say that this is the 1st party title im looking forward to the most.

So when he said.. ‘i hope you’re looking forward to it’ i was like.. are you kidding me ? o_O

+ Vabor on September 24th, 2009 at 9:30 am said:

Love it. The animations are wonderful and what makes his games truly work.

+ TreasureReserved on September 24th, 2009 at 9:32 am said:

I congratulate Ueda-san and his team for having the courage to create something so extraordinary and unique. It is so refreshing to see such amazing work amongst the mountain of FPS and sequels we see all too often these days.