GTAV PS4

Twitter Update: #UNCHARTED 2

Evan Wells's Avatar + Posted by Evan Wells on Sep 28, 2009 // Co-President, Naughty Dog

So we’ve seen some concern about the frequency of updates for those choosing to use UNCHARTED 2: Among ThievesTwitter support. Some reviewers have had early access to the game and selected the option to update their Twitter accounts as they completed each chapter of the game. This has resulted in some Twitter feeds being updated multiple times an hour. We obviously want to provide the best experience for everybody, so for the time being we’ve disabled Twitter updates on chapter completions. The option will still exist in the menus when the game ships on 10/13, but if activated, it will do nothing. Some time after the game has shipped, we’ll release a patch to reactivate the feature, but with a limit on the frequency of updates.

We’re certainly sorry for any inconvenience, but I guess that’s the risk you run when trying to blaze a new trail in the complicated world of Social Media!

And the 140 character version:

Heard concerns about Twitter chapter updates for UNCHARTED 2. We’ve just disabled it but will patch soon to reactivate with frequency limits

UNCHARTED 2 Twitter update

116 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3

+ MiChAeL6 on September 28th, 2009 at 5:28 pm said:

Good stuff, I’m waiting for my credit card in the mail to buy this from amazon.

+ B-RadGfromOV on September 28th, 2009 at 5:29 pm said:

Who cares, it’s a pointless feature anyway.

+ eaglefan129 on September 28th, 2009 at 5:31 pm said:

So what goes on? if you beat a chapter and what does twitter do?

+ freakyzeeky on September 28th, 2009 at 5:31 pm said:

That’s good… wouldn’t want to spoil the game before release! :)

+ BlazednSleepy on September 28th, 2009 at 5:31 pm said:

Thats fine. I just want to play this game SOOOOOO bad.

+ Axecution on September 28th, 2009 at 5:31 pm said:

Well that was mighty fast… >.>

+ easyaspie00 on September 28th, 2009 at 5:32 pm said:

Dandy…

Not that I use twitter…

but dandy nonetheless. Looking forward to this game…

+ Mooblar on September 28th, 2009 at 5:33 pm said:

You guys should change it for 1 tweet per day saying “I beet chapters x – y in z hours today” or something like that. Cool feature though but poorly executed ;/

+ Se_7_eN on September 28th, 2009 at 5:33 pm said:

Tell us the difference between the event on the 5th and the event on the 6th!!!!!

+ shelmoon on September 28th, 2009 at 5:34 pm said:

sick… but when does the beta come out? like tomorrow after noon or throughout the night… (tomorrow)

+ GordyNYC on September 28th, 2009 at 5:34 pm said:

good idea. Keighley’s updates were frustrating me. Amazing multiplayer btw

+ tirminyl on September 28th, 2009 at 5:34 pm said:

@eaglefan129 – It just sends a twitter message that you completed X chapter in Uncharted. Some find that it is too often. Personally I am not bothered by it but it is nice to know the Dogs are on it!

+ StrykerIsland on September 28th, 2009 at 5:35 pm said:

Why on Earth would you disable it? I enjoyed seeing chapters being completed… who the hell would complain about something like that?

+ befear on September 28th, 2009 at 5:35 pm said:

i think its great that they are trying some thing new.

+ lets-be_azn on September 28th, 2009 at 5:36 pm said:

@strykerisland i agree it, doesn’t even matter if you don’t look at it at all so why complain?

+ TheHakku on September 28th, 2009 at 5:36 pm said:

I was truly concerned about this. Mr. Keighley had this function turned on. This game has many, many chapters….

+ williepoo21 on September 28th, 2009 at 5:36 pm said:

why don’t they just send messages over PSN to friends who are currently playing the same game? this way: 1. the audience is relevant; 2. it makes the single player game a bit of a competition between friends

+ Aggie_CEO on September 28th, 2009 at 5:37 pm said:

it kinda scared me as I seen @geoffkeighley BLAZING thru chapter after chapter…I just hope its not as short as it was looking….

but as someone who tweets 400+ times a day I dont care about the frequency of tweets going out….I just wish it said via “Uncharted 2″ instead of just “API”

I think if people DON’T use twitter then its simple they dont need to activate it….

+ StrykerIsland on September 28th, 2009 at 5:37 pm said:

It’s not a spoiler feature, it’s simply a tweet saying “so and so has completed chapter 1″, it’s a cool little feature, and I can’t for the life of me figure out why someone would complain about it.

+ NARDE15 on September 28th, 2009 at 5:37 pm said:

nice move

+ Stoffinator on September 28th, 2009 at 5:39 pm said:

I still don’t get the point in this feature? Who really cares if I beat chapter 1 or chapter 50? Isn’t the point of those sites is that YOU fill it out, not some machine doing a automatic update?

+ KwietStorm on September 28th, 2009 at 5:40 pm said:

I dont understand why this was a problem for anyone. I’m confused what the issue is.

+ loadstone007 on September 28th, 2009 at 5:43 pm said:

We forgive you.
15 days is too much to wait, too much I tell you!

+ StrykerIsland on September 28th, 2009 at 5:44 pm said:

@21 You are completely missing the point, Twitter is for telling people what you’re up to, the game is simply automating the process so you don’t have to manually type it in.

It’s a simple, but cool feature.

This reminds me of the Killzone 2 debacle whereby a few whiners complained and ruined the online co-op for my friends and I by making all online games with bots Unranked, so none of us could play in a private room together against the AI in a co-op environment and still rank up and unlock classes and ribbons and such, because some 13-year old kids are worried about their precious leaderboard rankings.

/smacks head against the wall

+ Clay10713 on September 28th, 2009 at 5:44 pm said:

Thanks for the update

+ thaSLAB on September 28th, 2009 at 5:46 pm said:

Evan, I asked you this on Twitter as well, but I figured I’d ask here too: will U2:AT have the friends list presence data activated in the retail version?

Example:

thaSLAB
UNCHARTED 2 Among Thieves: Playing Ch. X “Chapter Name”

+ Parapraxis on September 28th, 2009 at 5:51 pm said:

Good choice guys.

Uncharted 2 is gonna be huge =)
Best of luck on breaking some records personal or professional!

+ NeoHumpty on September 28th, 2009 at 5:51 pm said:

I am very glad that you can disable this function. My boss is a friend of mine on Twitter and Facebook and I REALLY don’t want him to be updated with my game achievements constantly….especially if I happen to take a loooong lunch to play this one. lol.

+ LukaX23 on September 28th, 2009 at 5:51 pm said:

I love how quick you guys are. You’re all true pros.

+ fabiotust on September 28th, 2009 at 5:52 pm said:

I liked twitter + uncharted2. My friends that are Xbox360 owners and they have a lot of automatic twits of games. I realy like the twits of uncharted2 and a realy expected to they back completaly on full version.

+ bbonds_007 on September 28th, 2009 at 5:54 pm said:

I guess ND didnt realize people would get so hooked and play for hours and hours and hours on end….

heheh

+ Four-Forty on September 28th, 2009 at 6:01 pm said:

Will it still tweet when you get a trophy? the article only states upon chapter completions.

+ mafecto on September 28th, 2009 at 6:01 pm said:

The beta for this game is sick, hope yall get to play it this week. This game is just awesome.

Oh, and Evan, just to let you know, Uncharted 2 is sitting with a 97 (!) on metacritic right now (only 4 reviews though, but still). Nice!

+ Stoffinator on September 28th, 2009 at 6:06 pm said:

@24

Still seems like a pointless feature to me *shrugs.

+ SquirrelBrigade on September 28th, 2009 at 6:08 pm said:

uncharted 2 is perfect, just brings me to tears

+ ZAANOS on September 28th, 2009 at 6:12 pm said:

I didn’t mind the frequency of the feature. I recommend using Twitter and following game devs. You can give them direct feedback which is awesome! Wish PS3 had integrated Twitter support.

+ freeluv on September 28th, 2009 at 6:13 pm said:

Yeah the chapter tweeting might be a bit much. But the other options are great.

+ C-Murph666 on September 28th, 2009 at 6:16 pm said:

Can I has Fortune Hunter?

+ GamerMoney on September 28th, 2009 at 6:18 pm said:

BOOOOOH!!!

+ Ghost_Shrimp on September 28th, 2009 at 6:31 pm said:

This is wasted resources in my opinion.

+ KIDamazin on September 28th, 2009 at 6:31 pm said:

At what time will the Uncharted 2 beta be available tomorrow?

+ KIDamazin on September 28th, 2009 at 6:33 pm said:

At what time will the Uncharted 2 beta be available tomorrow? (If I double posted sorry)

+ sscoolChea on September 28th, 2009 at 6:34 pm said:

Get a Sneak Peek of UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves on the Big Screen!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Can someone answers question for this blog post?..there are 132 comments and questions there but only 1 reply….

PLEASE

+ Valentik999 on September 28th, 2009 at 6:37 pm said:

You guys had us give gamestop our money to reserve this demo with them for a chance to win the fortune hunter. I have seen nothing on a chance to win. Now the demo is released free tomorrow. Get your game together naughty dog i loved you guys since crash. Why did you sell out and make us give them money when the demo is free tomorrow. I will still make love to you, but this sucks. Goodbye forever.

+ Dehshizknight on September 28th, 2009 at 6:40 pm said:

CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS GAME!!!

+ grashopper on September 28th, 2009 at 6:41 pm said:

10/13 cant come soon enough for me! :)

+ Griffin83 on September 28th, 2009 at 6:43 pm said:

Mr. Wells,

Thanks for the update on the Twitter feature, it’s very cool that Naughty Dog is utilizing new technology on all fronts in Uncharted 2.

A few of us have been wondering about further details on the upcoming events on October 5th & October 6th, as we’re all greatly anticipating the preview and release of Uncharted 2.

If it’s at all within your power to get someone at Naughty Dog or the Sony Blog site to update us on any differences between the events on the 5th and 6th, as well as details on what these exciting events might hold, I’m sure many of us would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you and thanks for continuing to release AAA games!

+ Wuggyboobeaufuf on September 28th, 2009 at 6:44 pm said:

Should have focused on making a good single player game instead of stupid, trendy crap like Twitter.

Will never, ever touch this game.

Getting too big for your britches Naughty Dog.

Someone needs to knock you guys down a peg so you remember why your games became successful in the first place.

+ bbonds_007 on September 28th, 2009 at 6:47 pm said:

@#48 That is just plain wrong get your facts straight. This game is getting 10/10′s and has an excellent campaign, co-op, multiplayer, AND machinima.

Your logic is just plain horrible.

+ DoomnY on September 28th, 2009 at 6:48 pm said:

What time demo will be available?

PAGE 1 2 3