Far Cry 4

Twitter Update: #UNCHARTED 2

Evan Wells's Avatar + Posted by Evan Wells on Sep 28, 2009 // Co-President, Naughty Dog

So we’ve seen some concern about the frequency of updates for those choosing to use UNCHARTED 2: Among ThievesTwitter support. Some reviewers have had early access to the game and selected the option to update their Twitter accounts as they completed each chapter of the game. This has resulted in some Twitter feeds being updated multiple times an hour. We obviously want to provide the best experience for everybody, so for the time being we’ve disabled Twitter updates on chapter completions. The option will still exist in the menus when the game ships on 10/13, but if activated, it will do nothing. Some time after the game has shipped, we’ll release a patch to reactivate the feature, but with a limit on the frequency of updates.

We’re certainly sorry for any inconvenience, but I guess that’s the risk you run when trying to blaze a new trail in the complicated world of Social Media!

And the 140 character version:

Heard concerns about Twitter chapter updates for UNCHARTED 2. We’ve just disabled it but will patch soon to reactivate with frequency limits

UNCHARTED 2 Twitter update

116 Comments

+ KIDamazin on September 28th, 2009 at 6:52 pm said:

#48 You should change your avatar, cause it does not represent with what you just said. Not playing Uncharted 2 because of the twitter feature? Really? Are you that offended by something that you DON’T have to use.

+ DeathraceKing666 on September 28th, 2009 at 6:57 pm said:

I think it’s ridiculous to limit the amount of tweets. I myself sometimes update my own account several times an hour, but I follow a LOT of gaming sites/blogs and some of them (not going to name names) tweet CONSTANTLY and some of them wait and then push out 7 or 8 tweets all at once.

I think it should be up to us how often we want to update our twitter account. Otherwise it’s like forcing us to tweet less while other people can spam our twitter feed as much as they like.

+ Darkdragon2 on September 28th, 2009 at 6:57 pm said:

did any one enter for the G4 contest

+ sscoolChea on September 28th, 2009 at 7:03 pm said:

@ 48

Your a tool …….Guess you have never played the game …Go to those other bs sites and never post here again….

+ bbonds_007 on September 28th, 2009 at 7:05 pm said:

#52 Jeez they are not forcing you to do anything! If you want to tweet more than bleeping do it! All they did was change it so it doesnt send out a tweet every time you beat a chapter because many people wont like that.

+ angelcoma on September 28th, 2009 at 7:06 pm said:

I actually thought that all games should have a feature like this, makes PSN feel more open.

Also, I’m not to sad about the delay and lol @ 140 character ver.

+ Wuggyboobeaufuf on September 28th, 2009 at 7:07 pm said:

@54

I’m a tool and you can’t even spell “You’re” properly?

And telling me to never post again because I have a different opinion than you?

Go back to Communist China.

+ sscoolChea on September 28th, 2009 at 7:12 pm said:

@ 57

You’re still a tool…

+ bbonds_007 on September 28th, 2009 at 7:12 pm said:

@57

Well that must make you a hypocrite then because you are boycotting a game for trying to appeal to other people’s wants.

+ sscoolChea on September 28th, 2009 at 7:13 pm said:

You’re opinion is off and stupid….What was the point of it ?

I get it ..Just to troll what a clown .

+ sscoolChea on September 28th, 2009 at 7:16 pm said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That was also for # 48 # 57

+ KUMAR_ROHIT on September 28th, 2009 at 7:16 pm said:

Ok.. i dont use those garbage social network sites but uncharted2 is still da best looking game to be seen 2009 more than call of duty GASP!!! i like story games that are fun…

+ DeathraceKing666 on September 28th, 2009 at 7:20 pm said:

@ #55 You’re completely missing the point.

It should be up to the USER to set how often they want the game to update their twitter account. There’s no way that the in-game twitter posting can come even close to how much crap comes from some of the gaming sites. Especially the ones that just retweet every single news story they come across.

I have no problem with the frequency limits, but there should also be an option to NOT use the frequency limits if you don’t want to.

+ Wuggyboobeaufuf on September 28th, 2009 at 7:20 pm said:

@60

“You’re opinion”

You mean your opinion?

If you’re going to criticise someone, at least know how to speak the language, moron.

No wonder stupid people like twitter – because they don’t have to spell properly.

+ bbonds_007 on September 28th, 2009 at 7:22 pm said:

Hey maybe try insulting some more people? I dont think you a jackazz yet.

+ alexbhp on September 28th, 2009 at 7:26 pm said:

OMG, people complain too much, DISABLE THE TWITTER UPDATES if you don’t like it. I WISH IT HAD A CHECKPOINT UPDATE TWITTER, so everybody knows what I’m doing JUST TO ANNOY EVERYBODY… oh man… You can’t please everybody….

+ TheHakku on September 28th, 2009 at 7:43 pm said:

By default it’s not enabled. You need to authenticate your account in game first, and even then… it’s an option.

+ tetsou9shima on September 28th, 2009 at 7:44 pm said:

Wow….I think we all agree that your an idiot #48. I haven’t read one review that said the story campaign was lacking. In fact most even came straight out and said the online took nothing away from the story campaign. I think I smell a troll.

+ anticulture on September 28th, 2009 at 7:46 pm said:

Twitter and the ‘new world of social media’ can burn in hell.

+ SilverPR on September 28th, 2009 at 7:46 pm said:

Just be ready to put the Co-op Demo tomorrow on the PSN Network.

Remember, you guys said it on your X-Play coverage, be a good Dog will ya.

+ Wuggyboobeaufuf on September 28th, 2009 at 7:47 pm said:

@68 It’s a fact that using resources for the pointless multi-player mode diminished the single-player portion of the game. As for agreeing, well….fools seldom differ.

+ tetsou9shima on September 28th, 2009 at 7:50 pm said:

@71 go back to playing ODST. Maybe try reading some of the reviews from people who actually played the game. I’ll be checking your trophy list and I better not see Uncharted 2. :)

+ Wuggyboobeaufuf on September 28th, 2009 at 7:55 pm said:

@72

I don’t own a 360, s shut your mouth.

Multiplayer sucks. Reviewers are wrong.

+ bbonds_007 on September 28th, 2009 at 7:57 pm said:

lol

thats all I have to say #73

+ SOOPERGOOMAN187 on September 28th, 2009 at 8:01 pm said:

where do I find my Uploaded Videos? Great Beta/Game BTW!~ Wo0T! Kudos plus a million. Thanks again.

+ skipperdylan on September 28th, 2009 at 8:20 pm said:

I just want to say to you, Evan Wells, you are crazy insane awesome. And so is Drake.

Also, did anyone here win the FH edition playing the multiplayer beta?

+ Gr00v3r06 on September 28th, 2009 at 8:38 pm said:

NIce move. Cut down on the twitter spam thanks.

+ krae_man on September 28th, 2009 at 8:46 pm said:

Hey Naughty Dog, Could you do me a huge favor and answer me something:

What are the Jam jars in Chapter 2 of the first Uncharted for? Do they actually serve a purpose?

Or did you just put them there to show off your jar breaking physics?

+ poweredbyzen on September 28th, 2009 at 9:11 pm said:

still waiting for info on how to win the ultra limited edition fortune hunter. i’d give my soul for it! :D

+ stri on September 28th, 2009 at 9:16 pm said:

Who friggin’ cares…Twitter is useless and just plain stupid!

+ spunnups on September 28th, 2009 at 9:36 pm said:

Naughty Gods FTW!

+ SillentAssasin on September 28th, 2009 at 9:52 pm said:

Why Naughty Dog?

I really loved the innovation of this feature… letting my buddies know via twitter instead of going on my computer and saying “i passed the game”

Aww…. still hyped for the game but now im a sad panda

+ ElektroDragon on September 28th, 2009 at 9:54 pm said:

I don’t understand why I would want to advertise my Uncharted 2 progress on Twitter, when almost no one following me will care, and when potential employers can read my Twitter page and think me unprofessional due to such tweets.

+ SilverPR on September 28th, 2009 at 10:01 pm said:

I signed on the G4 sweepstakes for the Tresure Hunter Edition…. got my fingers cross. Good luck for all that apply!!!

+ rig_pig on September 28th, 2009 at 10:02 pm said:

Twitter is for twits.

+ marcindpol on September 28th, 2009 at 11:05 pm said:

great start…

+ alexbhp on September 28th, 2009 at 11:41 pm said:

@83 then TURN OFF the updates in your case, the PS3 will not guess your twitter password and log in automatically and post the updates without YOU ALLOWING IT.

To everybody else: So why not stop complaining and just, not use the feature….

Is all this buzz really necessary?

+ acerazer1 on September 28th, 2009 at 11:45 pm said:

Oh I see, people would beat like 3 chapters an hour, so it would get updated that many times. Guess they’re not taking in all the scenery, huh? I know I will be, U2 will be my first new game since Infamous.

Well, it’s kind of good that you guys are nipping this in the bud now rather than disabling it after the consumer has already starting using it.

Maybe, if it updates with your current chapter at the end of each play-session things will be a bit less hectic?

P.S. I’m unemployed, good-looking, young, impressionable and willing to move out to California.

+ Sakimori_X on September 29th, 2009 at 12:28 am said:

Oh, well. Disabling this doesn’t detract from the game experience itself. Kudos to you for taking the time and trouble to build a bridge out of the game and into popular social networking tools in the first place.

+ DZORMAGEN on September 29th, 2009 at 12:58 am said:

GOTY anyone?

+ Apnomis on September 29th, 2009 at 1:26 am said:

I’m confused, is it doing something it shouldn’t do or not? The Twitter feature is fully customisable and you can select what tweets to make, so if you choose to tweet chapter completions then why shouldn’t it tweet when you complete a chapter?! It is only doing what is advertised and that option can be turned off? Unless it’s doing it at places other than a chapter completion, like a checkpoint or something?

Never the less congrats for trying something new and being innovative with your online features – don’t let some whinging reviewers that didn’t know how to set it up properly put you off!!!

+ Apnomis on September 29th, 2009 at 1:53 am said:

@ 48, not to feed the troll but that comment is just plain wrong on all levels!

Adding Twitter support is called ‘polish’ – those little extras you don’t get with lazy devs that rush out a game using a standard mold.

As for remembering why Naughty Dog were successful in the first place – I think you’ll find that is down to QUALITY games and INNOVATIVE features – exactly like Uncharted 2 in other words.

If you don’t like Twitter then don’t use the function, it’s not as if it’s compulsory. People that use Twitter will think this is a great little extra.

As for never ever touching this game? I feel sorry for you, you’re obviously either a fool or a fanboy. If you’re the latter you were no doubt singing the praises of Microsoft for adding Twitter and Facebook support to their console at E3, unless of course you’re ‘never ever’ going to touch a 360 again? Ironic really…

+ jebezz on September 29th, 2009 at 5:18 am said:

What time does the demo come out? I bet the servers will lag, but it’s worth it :D

I’m really waiting for the demo.
*hyperactive*

+ station3fever on September 29th, 2009 at 6:24 am said:

Twitter not for me but, I do applaud all your efforts. I preordered a long time ago and I just wanted to say, “we love ya Naughty Dog” :)

+ Coolwater on September 29th, 2009 at 6:45 am said:

I think that if someone really had a problem with the update frequency, they could just disable it themselves. Disabling it for all isnt fair for those that dont care about the update frequency.

So does this mean that if i beat the game before the fix comes out that this feature will be lost? WEAK!

+ VivaGardner on September 29th, 2009 at 7:08 am said:

I also don’t understand the point of removing this feature.

1. It works properly, as advertised.
2. You have to manually enter your twitter information… It’s optional.
3. There isn’t a limit to the number of tweets that you’re allowed to make.

I don’t get why anyone would complain.

+ Kenshin71 on September 29th, 2009 at 7:17 am said:

People should check out the Japanese box art for Uncharted 2, it’s absolutely HIDEOUS! Haha, wow, I thought the US one was bad but the Jp one is a complete abomination that should be burnt with fire.

Well done to the clueless goofballs at Sony marketing who decided on putting such an ugly, ridiculous cover on such a glorious game. Why not just print ‘this game will give you herpes’ on the cover so it will get even less sales?

+ necronzero on September 29th, 2009 at 7:47 am said:

Well… I reviewed the game for Gorilla Jumpers, but since I don’t have twitter, I don’t find it useful.

+ RuthlessEd on September 29th, 2009 at 7:48 am said:

Anyone who has a video game automatically updating their Twitter account deserves to be shoved in a locker.

But I’m guessing this happens to most of you on a daily basis anyway…so I won’t press the point.

+ crXss on September 29th, 2009 at 8:53 am said:

Naughty Dog LOVES Twitter. though Twitter is a pretty awesome, I’m just afraid my twitter is gonna be ALL Uncharted 2 updates haha. that’ll be my life for awhile after 10/13