Paragon

Sep 28

Sep 28

Twitter Update: #UNCHARTED 2

Evan Wells's Avatar Posted by Co-President, Naughty Dog

So we’ve seen some concern about the frequency of updates for those choosing to use UNCHARTED 2: Among ThievesTwitter support. Some reviewers have had early access to the game and selected the option to update their Twitter accounts as they completed each chapter of the game. This has resulted in some Twitter feeds being updated multiple times an hour. We obviously want to provide the best experience for everybody, so for the time being we’ve disabled Twitter updates on chapter completions. The option will still exist in the menus when the game ships on 10/13, but if activated, it will do nothing. Some time after the game has shipped, we’ll release a patch to reactivate the feature, but with a limit on the frequency of updates.

We’re certainly sorry for any inconvenience, but I guess that’s the risk you run when trying to blaze a new trail in the complicated world of Social Media!

And the 140 character version:

Heard concerns about Twitter chapter updates for UNCHARTED 2. We’ve just disabled it but will patch soon to reactivate with frequency limits

UNCHARTED 2 Twitter update

Add Your Own

KIDamazin said:

September 28th, 6:52 pm

#48 You should change your avatar, cause it does not represent with what you just said. Not playing Uncharted 2 because of the twitter feature? Really? Are you that offended by something that you DON’T have to use.

DeathraceKing666 said:

September 28th, 6:57 pm

I think it’s ridiculous to limit the amount of tweets. I myself sometimes update my own account several times an hour, but I follow a LOT of gaming sites/blogs and some of them (not going to name names) tweet CONSTANTLY and some of them wait and then push out 7 or 8 tweets all at once.

I think it should be up to us how often we want to update our twitter account. Otherwise it’s like forcing us to tweet less while other people can spam our twitter feed as much as they like.

Darkdragon2 said:

September 28th, 6:57 pm

did any one enter for the G4 contest

sscoolChea said:

September 28th, 7:03 pm

@ 48

Your a tool …….Guess you have never played the game …Go to those other bs sites and never post here again….

bbonds_007 said:

September 28th, 7:05 pm

#52 Jeez they are not forcing you to do anything! If you want to tweet more than bleeping do it! All they did was change it so it doesnt send out a tweet every time you beat a chapter because many people wont like that.

angelcoma said:

September 28th, 7:06 pm

I actually thought that all games should have a feature like this, makes PSN feel more open.

Also, I’m not to sad about the delay and lol @ 140 character ver.

Wuggyboobeaufuf said:

September 28th, 7:07 pm

@54

I’m a tool and you can’t even spell “You’re” properly?

And telling me to never post again because I have a different opinion than you?

Go back to Communist China.

sscoolChea said:

September 28th, 7:12 pm

@ 57

You’re still a tool…

bbonds_007 said:

September 28th, 7:12 pm

@57

Well that must make you a hypocrite then because you are boycotting a game for trying to appeal to other people’s wants.

sscoolChea said:

September 28th, 7:13 pm

You’re opinion is off and stupid….What was the point of it ?

I get it ..Just to troll what a clown .

sscoolChea said:

September 28th, 7:16 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That was also for # 48 # 57

KUMAR_ROHIT said:

September 28th, 7:16 pm

Ok.. i dont use those garbage social network sites but uncharted2 is still da best looking game to be seen 2009 more than call of duty GASP!!! i like story games that are fun…

DeathraceKing666 said:

September 28th, 7:20 pm

@ #55 You’re completely missing the point.

It should be up to the USER to set how often they want the game to update their twitter account. There’s no way that the in-game twitter posting can come even close to how much crap comes from some of the gaming sites. Especially the ones that just retweet every single news story they come across.

I have no problem with the frequency limits, but there should also be an option to NOT use the frequency limits if you don’t want to.

Wuggyboobeaufuf said:

September 28th, 7:20 pm

@60

“You’re opinion”

You mean your opinion?

If you’re going to criticise someone, at least know how to speak the language, moron.

No wonder stupid people like twitter – because they don’t have to spell properly.

bbonds_007 said:

September 28th, 7:22 pm

Hey maybe try insulting some more people? I dont think you a jackazz yet.

alexbhp said:

September 28th, 7:26 pm

OMG, people complain too much, DISABLE THE TWITTER UPDATES if you don’t like it. I WISH IT HAD A CHECKPOINT UPDATE TWITTER, so everybody knows what I’m doing JUST TO ANNOY EVERYBODY… oh man… You can’t please everybody….

TheHakku said:

September 28th, 7:43 pm

By default it’s not enabled. You need to authenticate your account in game first, and even then… it’s an option.

tetsou9shima said:

September 28th, 7:44 pm

Wow….I think we all agree that your an idiot #48. I haven’t read one review that said the story campaign was lacking. In fact most even came straight out and said the online took nothing away from the story campaign. I think I smell a troll.

anticulture said:

September 28th, 7:46 pm

Twitter and the ‘new world of social media’ can burn in hell.

SilverPR said:

September 28th, 7:46 pm

Just be ready to put the Co-op Demo tomorrow on the PSN Network.

Remember, you guys said it on your X-Play coverage, be a good Dog will ya.

Wuggyboobeaufuf said:

September 28th, 7:47 pm

@68 It’s a fact that using resources for the pointless multi-player mode diminished the single-player portion of the game. As for agreeing, well….fools seldom differ.

tetsou9shima said:

September 28th, 7:50 pm

@71 go back to playing ODST. Maybe try reading some of the reviews from people who actually played the game. I’ll be checking your trophy list and I better not see Uncharted 2. :)

Wuggyboobeaufuf said:

September 28th, 7:55 pm

@72

I don’t own a 360, s shut your mouth.

Multiplayer sucks. Reviewers are wrong.

bbonds_007 said:

September 28th, 7:57 pm

lol

thats all I have to say #73

SOOPERGOOMAN187 said:

September 28th, 8:01 pm

where do I find my Uploaded Videos? Great Beta/Game BTW!~ Wo0T! Kudos plus a million. Thanks again.

skipperdylan said:

September 28th, 8:20 pm

I just want to say to you, Evan Wells, you are crazy insane awesome. And so is Drake.

Also, did anyone here win the FH edition playing the multiplayer beta?

Gr00v3r06 said:

September 28th, 8:38 pm

NIce move. Cut down on the twitter spam thanks.

krae_man said:

September 28th, 8:46 pm

Hey Naughty Dog, Could you do me a huge favor and answer me something:

What are the Jam jars in Chapter 2 of the first Uncharted for? Do they actually serve a purpose?

Or did you just put them there to show off your jar breaking physics?

poweredbyzen said:

September 28th, 9:11 pm

still waiting for info on how to win the ultra limited edition fortune hunter. i’d give my soul for it! :D

stri said:

September 28th, 9:16 pm

Who friggin’ cares…Twitter is useless and just plain stupid!

spunnups said:

September 28th, 9:36 pm

Naughty Gods FTW!

SillentAssasin said:

September 28th, 9:52 pm

Why Naughty Dog?

I really loved the innovation of this feature… letting my buddies know via twitter instead of going on my computer and saying “i passed the game”

Aww…. still hyped for the game but now im a sad panda

ElektroDragon said:

September 28th, 9:54 pm

I don’t understand why I would want to advertise my Uncharted 2 progress on Twitter, when almost no one following me will care, and when potential employers can read my Twitter page and think me unprofessional due to such tweets.

SilverPR said:

September 28th, 10:01 pm

I signed on the G4 sweepstakes for the Tresure Hunter Edition…. got my fingers cross. Good luck for all that apply!!!

rig_pig said:

September 28th, 10:02 pm

Twitter is for twits.

marcindpol said:

September 28th, 11:05 pm

great start…

alexbhp said:

September 28th, 11:41 pm

@83 then TURN OFF the updates in your case, the PS3 will not guess your twitter password and log in automatically and post the updates without YOU ALLOWING IT.

To everybody else: So why not stop complaining and just, not use the feature….

Is all this buzz really necessary?

acerazer1 said:

September 28th, 11:45 pm

Oh I see, people would beat like 3 chapters an hour, so it would get updated that many times. Guess they’re not taking in all the scenery, huh? I know I will be, U2 will be my first new game since Infamous.

Well, it’s kind of good that you guys are nipping this in the bud now rather than disabling it after the consumer has already starting using it.

Maybe, if it updates with your current chapter at the end of each play-session things will be a bit less hectic?

P.S. I’m unemployed, good-looking, young, impressionable and willing to move out to California.

Sakimori_X said:

September 29th, 12:28 am

Oh, well. Disabling this doesn’t detract from the game experience itself. Kudos to you for taking the time and trouble to build a bridge out of the game and into popular social networking tools in the first place.

DZORMAGEN said:

September 29th, 12:58 am

GOTY anyone?

Apnomis said:

September 29th, 1:26 am

I’m confused, is it doing something it shouldn’t do or not? The Twitter feature is fully customisable and you can select what tweets to make, so if you choose to tweet chapter completions then why shouldn’t it tweet when you complete a chapter?! It is only doing what is advertised and that option can be turned off? Unless it’s doing it at places other than a chapter completion, like a checkpoint or something?

Never the less congrats for trying something new and being innovative with your online features – don’t let some whinging reviewers that didn’t know how to set it up properly put you off!!!

Apnomis said:

September 29th, 1:53 am

@ 48, not to feed the troll but that comment is just plain wrong on all levels!

Adding Twitter support is called ‘polish’ – those little extras you don’t get with lazy devs that rush out a game using a standard mold.

As for remembering why Naughty Dog were successful in the first place – I think you’ll find that is down to QUALITY games and INNOVATIVE features – exactly like Uncharted 2 in other words.

If you don’t like Twitter then don’t use the function, it’s not as if it’s compulsory. People that use Twitter will think this is a great little extra.

As for never ever touching this game? I feel sorry for you, you’re obviously either a fool or a fanboy. If you’re the latter you were no doubt singing the praises of Microsoft for adding Twitter and Facebook support to their console at E3, unless of course you’re ‘never ever’ going to touch a 360 again? Ironic really…

jebezz said:

September 29th, 5:18 am

What time does the demo come out? I bet the servers will lag, but it’s worth it :D

I’m really waiting for the demo.
*hyperactive*

station3fever said:

September 29th, 6:24 am

Twitter not for me but, I do applaud all your efforts. I preordered a long time ago and I just wanted to say, “we love ya Naughty Dog” :)

Coolwater said:

September 29th, 6:45 am

I think that if someone really had a problem with the update frequency, they could just disable it themselves. Disabling it for all isnt fair for those that dont care about the update frequency.

So does this mean that if i beat the game before the fix comes out that this feature will be lost? WEAK!

VivaGardner said:

September 29th, 7:08 am

I also don’t understand the point of removing this feature.

1. It works properly, as advertised.
2. You have to manually enter your twitter information… It’s optional.
3. There isn’t a limit to the number of tweets that you’re allowed to make.

I don’t get why anyone would complain.

Kenshin71 said:

September 29th, 7:17 am

People should check out the Japanese box art for Uncharted 2, it’s absolutely HIDEOUS! Haha, wow, I thought the US one was bad but the Jp one is a complete abomination that should be burnt with fire.

Well done to the clueless goofballs at Sony marketing who decided on putting such an ugly, ridiculous cover on such a glorious game. Why not just print ‘this game will give you herpes’ on the cover so it will get even less sales?

necronzero said:

September 29th, 7:47 am

Well… I reviewed the game for Gorilla Jumpers, but since I don’t have twitter, I don’t find it useful.

RuthlessEd said:

September 29th, 7:48 am

Anyone who has a video game automatically updating their Twitter account deserves to be shoved in a locker.

But I’m guessing this happens to most of you on a daily basis anyway…so I won’t press the point.

crXss said:

September 29th, 8:53 am

Naughty Dog LOVES Twitter. though Twitter is a pretty awesome, I’m just afraid my twitter is gonna be ALL Uncharted 2 updates haha. that’ll be my life for awhile after 10/13