PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

TGS 09: Team ICO’s Fumito Ueda on The Last Guardian

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Sep 29, 2009 // Sr. Social Media Manager

Day one of TGS was a bit out of hand. While Jem was downstairs digging into Valkyria Chronicles 2, I had the opportunity to meet with Team ICO’s Fumito Ueda. Decisions, decisions.

Though Ueda-san wasn’t up for spilling *too many* details on the upcoming The Last Guardian, he did give some interesting insight into the way he and his team make games. He also hints that maybe we don’t know how this game is going to play out, after all.

Oh, and there was one pressing question that I didn’t ask – because Joystiq and Kotaku already beat me to it (“Will there ever be a PS3 remake of Ico/Shadow of the Colossus a la the God of War collection?”). Check out their stories for his answer.

PAGE 1 2

+ stlcardinal9 on September 29th, 2009 at 3:04 pm said:

cool

+ trev456 on September 29th, 2009 at 3:05 pm said:

Remastered Blu-Ray versions would be awesome! Please make it happen!

+ LN_MEXWARRIOR on September 29th, 2009 at 3:06 pm said:

Sweet!

+ Lambrick on September 29th, 2009 at 3:09 pm said:

i am looking forward to this game so much.

+ Apotheosis93 on September 29th, 2009 at 3:10 pm said:

I love his games. So much room for speculation- I love a subtle story.

+ EddyC__ on September 29th, 2009 at 3:10 pm said:

I Love It

+ NightHawk17 on September 29th, 2009 at 3:11 pm said:

Cant wait for this game, Ico and Shadow of the Colossus was amazing.

hey Jeff can you pass the word about trying to get a collector’s edition of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus like the God of war collection coming out this year

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on September 29th, 2009 at 3:15 pm said:

Everyone was asking him for that! No idea if it\’ll ever happen, but he\’s heard the request now.

+ BlooodyCow on September 29th, 2009 at 3:14 pm said:

Words cannot describe how much I am awaiting this game. If I have to pick one video game to buy this entire generation, it would have to be this game. I really really really hope there make a god of war collection type re-release for Ico and Shadow of the Colossus because more people need to play those two masterpiece.

+ leoramen on September 29th, 2009 at 3:17 pm said:

I want shadow/ico in blu-ray,please make it happen!!!!!

+ gekko1986 on September 29th, 2009 at 3:21 pm said:

Can’t wait, this is my most anticipated game by far! Also I want to add to the chorus for a remastered blu-ray release of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus.

+ spatsnaz on September 29th, 2009 at 3:24 pm said:

That was a wonderful interview. Great work!

Oh and SOTC+ICO bluray release would be soooo good.

+ Xenoxerxes on September 29th, 2009 at 3:24 pm said:

I love this guy, he’s very humble.

+ trustter on September 29th, 2009 at 3:25 pm said:

Please Sony make it happen! I really want the collection! You will have money heart and my money!

Also would be nice to have a behind the scenes/making of.

+ Lego_My_Eggo on September 29th, 2009 at 3:31 pm said:

if you get another chance to ask more questions, can you ask if the game will be linear like ico or more open world like shadow of the colossus?

and a remastered ico/shadow with art and interviews from the game needs to happen!

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on September 29th, 2009 at 6:27 pm said:

Yeah, further down the line we\’ll be talking more specifics about the game, no doubt.

+ Pound_lb003 on September 29th, 2009 at 3:33 pm said:

You finally got him sat down and talking!

Jeff, I have no watched it yet, but I am giddy seeing you interview him. How was he? Were you excited?

Thanks so much.

+ Pound_lb003 on September 29th, 2009 at 3:34 pm said:

Can’t believe you finally got him sat down and talking.

haven’t watched it yet, but I am giddy seeign him being interviewed on the Playstation Blog, after Ia nd many others have asked for so long.

How was he? How excited were you?

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on September 29th, 2009 at 6:28 pm said:

Very excited, and a little intimidated, clearly.

+ saveur on September 29th, 2009 at 3:38 pm said:

Sony would be idiots if they didn’t let him update Shadow and ICO for PS3, they would be gorgeous on Blu-ray. That would seriously be absolutely incredible and a day one purchase even though I already own the originals and have beaten the hell out of them. Any excuse to play them again I will totally jump on.

+ MakasuUS on September 29th, 2009 at 3:46 pm said:

Awesome, thanks!

+ crabdamage on September 29th, 2009 at 3:46 pm said:

Great interview. I only wished you’d asked him about a remastered Ico/SotC.

+ TheGuardianFID on September 29th, 2009 at 3:46 pm said:

Jeff, I LOVE YOU, any little nugget you can bring me on this game or anything Ueda-san does will automatically give you mad credz!!! :D SOTC is a masterpiece and my favorite game of all time, yes I’ve said it before but it bares repeating, great interview Jeff, please by all means keep them coming, thank you!!! :D

+ zabbyh on September 29th, 2009 at 3:53 pm said:

Great interview Jeff, but lol it sounds like you’re scared of Ueda.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on September 29th, 2009 at 6:28 pm said:

I don\’t know how many conversations you\’ve ever had through an interpreter, but it\’s hard to get used to.

+ Shin-Ra on September 29th, 2009 at 3:57 pm said:

I can’t thank Ueda’s Japan Studio team and Naughty Dog enough for making these very special games. I’ll just keep buying their games and any other scraps they throw out.

ICO + Shadow of the Colossus Collection would be quite the ‘scrap’. ;)

+ TwinDad on September 29th, 2009 at 4:02 pm said:

Jeff,

Pass on to the Sony powers that be in your report from the blog that we are interested in a ICO/SoTC remake. Add me to the list of interest. I have SoTC, but not ICO.

For the record, not buying GOW 1 and 2 redux. So this would be my first collection that would record a Sony sale.

+ Thrasher20 on September 29th, 2009 at 4:06 pm said:

Lookin good boys and girls!

+ p_morin on September 29th, 2009 at 4:21 pm said:

Yéééé!!!!! I want a compilation.

+ easyaspie00 on September 29th, 2009 at 4:24 pm said:

Really looking forward to this title. According to Ueda, this game will be around the same caliber as Shadow of the Colossus.

That’s an instant 5 Star Rating for this game.

+ joostin on September 29th, 2009 at 4:26 pm said:

Great interview Jeff!

I love me some games, but I have to say this is one piece of “art” I am glad I have a PS3 for.

+ Wuggyboobeaufuf on September 29th, 2009 at 4:33 pm said:

Consider me one person who would much rather see him focus on making *new* games than re-releasing the same ones over and over.

Especially if working on HD versions of the PS2 games delays the release of Last Guardian.

+ NEJI64 on September 29th, 2009 at 4:34 pm said:

the big question should be; when can we expect this game to drop?

+ TheInfectedBy590 on September 29th, 2009 at 4:37 pm said:

Can’t wait for the game!

+ HAVOC___________ on September 29th, 2009 at 4:59 pm said:

Please, Sony send out a poll on a Team Ico collection and get this thing started.

+ akibake on September 29th, 2009 at 5:05 pm said:

Hey Jeff, thanks for the great interview.

Since you’ll probably be interviewing Japanese individuals from time to time, let me give you a pronunciation tip. In the case of Fumito Ueda, his family name is pronounced “ooh-ay-dah” as opposed to “yoo-ay-dah”, but I’m sure he doesn’t mind to hear his name pronounced in a foreign fashion.

Extra credit: Fumito is closer to “hoo-mee-toh”, but the F sound is somewhat in between our F sound and our H sound. So if you just try to hit that middle point, you’re good.

If you have any questions, hit me up on PSN. I’m happy to help.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on September 29th, 2009 at 6:28 pm said:

Thanks for that, where were you last week??

+ theBedBurner on September 29th, 2009 at 5:11 pm said:

Can’t wait for this game it was the reason I bought a PS3.

+ ken_kimura on September 29th, 2009 at 5:14 pm said:

That’s a nice interview Jeff but you should be ashamed for mispronouncing Ico in front on the game creator!

And one more vote for the Team Ico collection.

+ lets-be_azn on September 29th, 2009 at 5:23 pm said:

I want to play Ico after i missed it on the ps2 can’t wait until it comes out wether in the psn or with shadow of cloussus

+ TreasureReserved on September 29th, 2009 at 5:56 pm said:

What a humble person he is! Thanks for the interview Jeff. Good stuff.

+ Antihero951 on September 29th, 2009 at 6:08 pm said:

That game just looks so damn beautiful, i haven’t played ICO or SoftC, but i would be interested in playing them espically if they came in a collection. KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK SONY.

+ Nikos on September 29th, 2009 at 6:15 pm said:

Incredible, I can’t wait to play this and cry with it.

+ remanutd5 on September 29th, 2009 at 6:39 pm said:

Jeff you know it , i know it and every1 else knows it , ICO/Shadow of the Colossus remake MUST happen lol , could it be that the animal dont die at the end??? i hope so , man i cant believe God of War 3 , Gran Turismo 5 , The Last Guardian and Final Fantasy games will be released on the same year , wow cant get any better than that

+ MoneyMaker110 on September 29th, 2009 at 6:52 pm said:

can’t wait to get my hands on the new game, and would love to add a bluray collection to my ps2 copies. i wonder if they’ll ever go back to work on a network game like SotC was originally suppose to be, and put it on psn?

+ Dice_for_Death_ on September 29th, 2009 at 7:06 pm said:

Serious questions, incoming: Does Team ICO have a company website? Do they have an e-mail through which I could communicate my wishes for this HD Ico/SotC dream project?

I’d love to extend to them my wishes for this to someday materialize, and the news of which to hit the PS Blog some Monday morning. I loved Ico, back in the day, and I would happily re-embrace SotC, were the two packed together and were to drop on the PS3. Hell, I’d accept it as a PSN-download-only game.

+ KVG88 on September 29th, 2009 at 7:09 pm said:

Man, watching this made me go play SotC again tonight… I can’t wait for Ueda’s next masterpiece!!!

Fingers crossed for SotC/ICO HD remake… That would be like the equivalent of Kratos’ poontang from all three GOW’s combined, times ten to the power of Olympus!

+ poodude on September 29th, 2009 at 7:32 pm said:

I hope they remake ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, I sadly missed out on a lot of the great games of last generation, and would really like a chance to play them in this way. That being said I could always just pick up the originals.

+ MonkEdsel on September 29th, 2009 at 7:41 pm said:

Ico is my favorite game ever… the thought of it running in HD… with the extra bits included that were left out of the US version…. and without the horrible US cover art…. AGH! My heart would burst. :p

+ EmeraldFlame on September 29th, 2009 at 7:43 pm said:

You mentioned in the interview that SotC was in a movie. What movie was this I am really interested now and I don’t ever remember seeing it in a movie.

+ hipp-x on September 29th, 2009 at 7:44 pm said:

Another vote for a remastered HD PS3 versions of Ico and Shadow of Colossus with trophies!

+ anticulture on September 29th, 2009 at 7:52 pm said:

I want all three games on a single Blu-Ray Collection, with non-abomination cover art. A ‘Collector’s Edition’, if you will.

I will gladly pay out the ass.

Make it happen.

+ Mattchewie on September 29th, 2009 at 7:59 pm said:

PS3 remaster of ICO/SHADOW

….DOOOO ITTTTTT!

:D

+ Einhander138 on September 29th, 2009 at 7:59 pm said:

@17

We would be idiots if we continued to buy PS2 collections after Sony deliberately removed BC from the PS3.

*We don’t need PS2 game collections for PS3*. Period. Fact.

Count me as one who *doesn’t* want to see the Ico/SOTC collection and would rather see Team ICO make *new* games.

+ JDog09 on September 29th, 2009 at 8:03 pm said:

Please make the Ico and Shawdow of the Colossus collection happen. I never had the chance to play Ico and absolutely loved SotC, but I would love the opportunity to play them again on PS3 with remastered graphics and trophies!

PAGE 1 2