PS4-Watch_Dogs

TGS 09: Team ICO’s Fumito Ueda on The Last Guardian

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Sep 29, 2009 // Sr. Social Media Manager

Day one of TGS was a bit out of hand. While Jem was downstairs digging into Valkyria Chronicles 2, I had the opportunity to meet with Team ICO’s Fumito Ueda. Decisions, decisions.

Though Ueda-san wasn’t up for spilling *too many* details on the upcoming The Last Guardian, he did give some interesting insight into the way he and his team make games. He also hints that maybe we don’t know how this game is going to play out, after all.

Oh, and there was one pressing question that I didn’t ask – because Joystiq and Kotaku already beat me to it (“Will there ever be a PS3 remake of Ico/Shadow of the Colossus a la the God of War collection?”). Check out their stories for his answer.

PAGE 1 2

+ El_Ten on September 29th, 2009 at 8:06 pm said:

Add one more for the ICO/Shadow PS3 remastered version just like GoW that I’ve pre-ordered already. If ICO had better box art it would have sold better. I remember passing it by all the time and then played a demo of it and had to get it.

+ nerdmanwhippy on September 29th, 2009 at 8:14 pm said:

Mmmm I want I want I want. As well as a bluray edition of SotC and Ico, which I know you’ve heard plenty of people requesting, but hey we gotta get the point across :D

A little off Topic, but your sly icon reminds me. When do we get news on a Sly for ps3? You need to shake that question out of them!

+ bentl78 on September 29th, 2009 at 8:19 pm said:

Thanks for the great interview~

movement of the torico.. looks amazing~~ @@
I never gotten around to playing ICO/Shadow… kept on hearing about it.. but was too preoccupied w/ other stuff during the time Shadow was released so never picked it up…hope they’ll bring it to PS3 :P

+ gor1llap1mp on September 29th, 2009 at 8:41 pm said:

Jeff,

You hit it on the nail. This has been Fumito’s question and goal since ICO, “can a video game make you cry”. And he will have achieved his goal with The Last Gaurdian.

+ VenomXv on September 29th, 2009 at 8:52 pm said:

I really, really hope they remake Ico/Shadow of the Colossus. I have PS2, but these are two games I haven’t been able to play too much off. I played 20 minutes Shadow of Colossus and it’s amazing and I had a PS3 at the time. I hope a Shadow of Colossus remake happens. The Last Guardian is looking like a classic BTW. Nice job. Lol @ asking if the game was going to make him cry.

+ MonkEdsel on September 29th, 2009 at 9:12 pm said:

@El_Ten: I also passed on Ico for the longest time over the cover art…. once I finally caved I was kicking myself. At least the price had dropped to $29.99 by then. :p

+ Deviation on September 29th, 2009 at 9:54 pm said:

I’ll just add myself as another voice requesting Ico and Shadow of the Colossus on the PS3 in HD. I’d gladly pay $40 for it, just as I’ll pay $40 for the God of War collection.

+ ShadOforce on September 29th, 2009 at 9:55 pm said:

Out of all the games coming out in the near future, this is at the top of my list of must-buy games.

I’m looking forward to remastered versions of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus although I already own both games.

I can’t believe people are asking for the remakes to have trophies. Trophies would ruin the magic of both games.

+ spunnups on September 29th, 2009 at 10:59 pm said:

I could never get ahold of Ico for less than $60 on Ebay or anywhere else. I do have SoTC however and it is one of my favorite games of all time.

Here’s hoping for a remastered Ico/SoTC bundle like the God of War one.

+ smelck on September 29th, 2009 at 11:29 pm said:

Nice interview :)

Ueda is one of my gaming hero’s. A rare breed who defines art and emotion within games. A breath of fresh air in the deluge of post-apocalyptic, macho shoot everything with no consequence gaming trend…

In short, Sony’s ace card…

Humble guy to boot, nice. Hope he keeps being given the freedom he has in the past.

Must buy..and +1 to the blu-ray compilation vote.

+ SHADOWWOLF0071 on September 30th, 2009 at 12:27 am said:

this going so cool i hope they make collecter with that wold nice figer or something hope this game dosent make me cry like last two but it will lol

+ sscoolChea on September 30th, 2009 at 1:33 am said:

I miss out on both ico and shadow . i dont even know how that happen . this will be great for all of us who have played the game or have not played the game… remaster on blu ray i will run to the store right now and buy it.

+ Rhez on September 30th, 2009 at 3:46 am said:

As a newcomer to Playstation (PS3 is my first console) I would definitely like to see Ico and Shadow of the Collosus on PS3. I’ve always been a big enthusiast for artistic games. While gameplay is always important it is the art and storytelling that sets a game apart. I could see from the Last Guardian trailer that Ueda’s work is something different. It would be a shame to see such masterpieces fade into history. Please bring them back.

I can’t wait to experience The Last Guardian. I truly hope it is as emotionally immersive as it looks.

+ Michelasso on September 30th, 2009 at 4:04 am said:

An HD Collector’s Edition would be cool, especially for the people that don’t own the game(s). Even because it’s very hard to find them! Having both games already, tho, I’m not really interested. Still I’m very much looking forward for the Last Guardian!!!

+ Onna76_NL on September 30th, 2009 at 4:27 am said:

Kotaku / Joystiq bastards, they stole my question :-(

Oh god I hope that animal isn’t going to die in the game or else you’ll see me cry just as much as when my big friend Rex (dog) died two years ago :’(

+ Onna76_NL on September 30th, 2009 at 4:28 am said:

OW and did I already mention I WANT ICO / SOTC COLLECTION???!!!

Just to be sure xD

+ Enigma777 on September 30th, 2009 at 5:01 am said:

Jeff… I just realized that you have the sweetest job ever!

+ improperlyaged on September 30th, 2009 at 6:39 am said:

way off topic i know but pc richard and son is having a special sale on ps3 for 279.99 an extra $20 off the reduced price. so if anyone is on the fence about buying the new ps3 get off ur @ss and go get one. bigger install base = better games and more dev support. 1 million in amonth right so why not 2 million in months.

+ dragonarya on September 30th, 2009 at 7:06 am said:

We need more collections! Ratchet & Clank would be the best; they don’t run properly on the PS3. Backwards compatibility issues.

+ LokeSTL on September 30th, 2009 at 7:10 am said:

@Jeff

Team Ico Collection MUST happen. Lots of money to be made here. Day one buy from me and I’ll buy gift copies as birthdays come around.

@48

I am strongly for PS3 BC, but this has nothing to do with that. HD remasters of last gen classics is a very safe bet, for the devs and us gamers. Why buy a blu-ray of a movie you already own? To get the enhanced picture, sound, and bonus features. In this case, we’d get a hi-def visual upgrade, possible sound upgrade, 16:9 support, trophies, and whatever extras they want to throw in. It is something you are definitely going to want, you just don’t know it yet. Either way, people will show up in droves for this kind of thing.

+ Onna76_NL on September 30th, 2009 at 7:12 am said:

Naaah 68, wouldn’t it be great to have those games in HD with trophies, that is actually what you wanted to say right? Right, we need “great” excuses to get those collections and I believe GoW is a very good one to start with. Everyone I know owning a PS3 and who loves GoW is buying the collection even though they own the PS2 games. Me? Ehm no, GoW isn’t really my thing sorry… Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, ICO / SotC, FFX / FFX-2, Dark Cloud 1 / 2 collections and day one buy for me.

+ Onna76_NL on September 30th, 2009 at 7:14 am said:

Ow forgot Sly xD

+ lotharace on September 30th, 2009 at 7:21 am said:

Great interview Jeff! I’m really excited about this game. I missed out on Ico & Shadow, so i can’t wait for this.

+ KidCommando on September 30th, 2009 at 8:01 am said:

great interview, thank you.

TLG is by far my most anticipated title for next year.

Please release a ICO/SoTC collection disk just like the planned GoW one! That would be truly amazing. Both of those works of art should not be missed!

+ PullusPardusUS on September 30th, 2009 at 8:13 am said:

Fumito Ueda is my hero, trully a worthy role model he is!

+ superstewie on September 30th, 2009 at 8:14 am said:

they are right now the only studio in japan really pushing development of original games, allot of Japanese games right now aren’t original or aren’t growing with their users.

and by growing i don’t mean games should become more difficult, there is almost no emotional growth in games like resident evil 5 and other games from Japan.
japan is shacking boobies, lol.

+ Mobius23 on September 30th, 2009 at 8:26 am said:

The new remastered edition would be a great, it’s hard enough just to get ICO for the PS2 since the game’s launch. Add an exclusive demo for The Last Guardian and I’m sold.

+ rpgfaker on September 30th, 2009 at 8:55 am said:

Maybe instead of a Last Guardian demo which I’m sure a PSN demo will come in the future. How about a Ico beta from the original PSone version! That would be fantastic to see how far along Ueda was able to push the original system before it became technically impossible.

Either way if this remaster happens I’m buying!

+ jimmyfoxhound on September 30th, 2009 at 9:43 am said:

Ueda is my hero.

+ WackyWeedCreed on September 30th, 2009 at 9:57 am said:

Very good interview! The best gaming interview i’ve ever seen!

+ Rude_Sparthan on September 30th, 2009 at 10:10 am said:

..genius…. how can he do better and better every time? god bless Ueda… :)

+ Sachiel123 on September 30th, 2009 at 10:38 am said:

Go sony, give him the green light to make the collection! GOOOOOOOO!

i mean, only GOW, ico series and, i don’t know FF in some way, can go from PS2 to PS3 followed by good sells. And so many people will be happy (L).

GO FOR IT!

Thanks for the interview, it’s great hearing that they are making games that moves hearts… I think it’s one of the correct ways of making the industry have a better quality.

+ mcbuttz78 on September 30th, 2009 at 12:18 pm said:

as a fan of ico. A gmae i never could beat.. but i love the story line so much.. I m not gnna ask for a remake or any thing lke that its been asked to death.. I want to ask a simple question< jeff next time you see udea aske him,, will there be a in game art gallery and will we be able to use them as wallpaper in our ps3 xmb? uhm oh will he ever make a psn game .. like linger of the shadows using art?? ty 4 your time jeff

+ scorpio182 on September 30th, 2009 at 12:26 pm said:

I am planning to buy those games and still play them but if they did a bluray release on the PS3 that would be awesome!!!

I would buy it day one!!!

+ tiger7758 on September 30th, 2009 at 12:39 pm said:

Whats the name of the movie that it was in that they mentioned?

+ barnaclejoe on September 30th, 2009 at 2:11 pm said:

I want this game SOOO BAD. I am so happy that the Playstation Blog “gets” the kinds of game that appeal to me. I have never felt more sure that I made the right choice when I went for a PS3 over a 360… (not that both don’t have good games, etc).

I hope the HD ICO/SotC thing happens, and I’d rebuy it, even though I can play the originals on my PS3…

Mostly I just want TLC though… I can tell it really offers something even one step further than the previous two. Maybe even more than one step! Can’t Wait!!!

+ Devil240Z on September 30th, 2009 at 2:20 pm said:

Please convince who ever needs convincing that there should be a shadow/ico collection for PS3. Please Please Please Please Please!

+ teac77 on September 30th, 2009 at 2:30 pm said:

I hope they decide to remaster SOTC and Ico. It’s important to remember, retailers usually only keep NEW GAMES on the shelf.

SOTC: 3 years ago
Ico: 8 years ago

+ Anik-28-Wrath on September 30th, 2009 at 10:00 pm said:

There is no doubt in mind that The Last Guardian will exceed my expectations.

+ meep_moop_meep on October 1st, 2009 at 2:38 pm said:

ICO/SoTC REMASTERED BLU-RAY PLEASE!

i have these games but i’d love a GoW treatment.

Great interview though.

+ MilitaryRaiden on October 6th, 2009 at 1:16 pm said:

I just read this story about the possibility of a Team ICO Collection for the ps3 a la God of War collection – PLEASE MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!

PAGE 1 2