PS4 - Transistor

It Only Does UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves

Peter Dille's Avatar + Posted by Peter Dille on Oct 02, 2009 // Senior Vice President, Marketing & PlayStation Network

It’s an incredibly exciting time for PlayStation. We’re experiencing tremendous momentum on the new 120 GB PS3 and yesterday launched the PSPgo which press are touting as an “evolutionary step-up model” and “the most high-powered handheld video-game machine on the market.” And we haven’t even started talking about one of the most anticipated games this year, UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves, which is just around the corner.

UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves is blowing everyone away. It is the best adventure yet from the Naughty Dog team and is well on track to be one of the best games of all time with a 97% rating on Metacritic and 14 perfect review scores. Some are saying that, “if this were a movie, it’d gross a couple hundred million dollars” (thanks GamePro), and many are calling it one of the year’s best action-adventure games. It’s probably an understatement when we say we’re excited for the release. And based on the pre-order numbers, we know many of you will be very busy on October 13.

In my earlier posts about our “It Only Does Everything” campaign, I mentioned that Kevin Butler won’t just be focusing on the PS3′s hardware superiority but would also be rolling out software specific advertisements. We’re excited to give you a sneak peak at the first of these spots, showcasing UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves. In this next installment in our campaign, Kevin fields a “Dear PlayStation” question from a conflicted boyfriend facing the dilemma of telling his girlfriend that UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves is not actually a movie, but in fact, a game. We hope you enjoy what a lot of people here voted as one of their favorite spots in the campaign.

We’re only just getting warmed up for the holiday and still have a bunch more spots to unveil. Tell me what you think and get out and pick up this game! I’ll leave you with the quote from PlayStation: The Official Magazine, “Forget ‘game of the year.’ This is one of the best games of all time.”

Enjoy!
Peter

267 Comments

+ cell989 on October 2nd, 2009 at 3:46 pm said:

awesome TV spot, Uncharted 2 deserves all the hype in the world.

Now if you guys can also make one for Ratchet And Clank ACIT but the classic one, were you have people for test subjects on new weapons.

Keep does spots coming I actually see them on TV all the time. Finally

+ wolfzero1 on October 2nd, 2009 at 3:48 pm said:

pretty funny comercial

+ mxpxboy on October 2nd, 2009 at 3:48 pm said:

WTF!? Ummm, why are they blatantly spoiling the story by showing Chloe betraying Nathan in this trailer?

+ mxpxboy on October 2nd, 2009 at 3:51 pm said:

I mean commercial. Not trailer.

+ yanksfan216 on October 2nd, 2009 at 3:53 pm said:

awesomely funny commercial. i mean, anyone looking at the situation would be like, dude, look at your girl and be happy. lol

also, jump over to ps3informer.com. i just read this awesome article on how ps3 can deliver the final knockout blow to all the competition.

+ yanksfan216 on October 2nd, 2009 at 3:54 pm said:

and i forgot to add…

CAN ANYONE IMAGINE THE AWESOMENESS POTENTIAL OF THE GOD OF WAR 3 COMMERCIAL?

should be just as epic as the game

+ NightHawk17 on October 2nd, 2009 at 3:56 pm said:

Give this man a full time job in sony commercials :)

+ IceCold on October 2nd, 2009 at 3:56 pm said:

Sony could nt have picked a better person to do those ads. I love the new TV Spots and keep them coming. Finally advertisement at its best.

+ DZORMAGEN on October 2nd, 2009 at 3:57 pm said:

Uncharted 2 = GAME OF THE DECADE!!!! GOTD!!

+ SilverstreamHero on October 2nd, 2009 at 3:57 pm said:

LOL excellent ad!

+ ZAANOS on October 2nd, 2009 at 3:58 pm said:

Hilarious. Keep up the good work. I’d like to see commercials like these as standard paired with a regular gameplay commercial or Live Action type of ad. Loved that Socom Hostage rescue ad from a while back the one that featured “Route 66″.

Also please bring back the Ratchet and Clank prototype weapon testing commercials.

+ Cwalat on October 2nd, 2009 at 4:01 pm said:

The only critique i have is, at the end of the video where the guy says “PS3, now only 299!” I think they should’ve put in “Uncharted 2, out on October 13th!” aswell. Or they could’ve atleast showed the boxart for it.

Other than that, i think this is one of the best commercials for videogames i’ve ever seen.

Creative and fun, yet very informative of how awesome Uncharted 2 is.

Kudos Sony!

+ xenorevlis on October 2nd, 2009 at 4:04 pm said:

@mxpxboy

They’ve shown that “shot” in the original E3 trailer and newest trailer as well. Don’t think it’s a surprise that some double crossing happens, but we don’t know why, who, how, or what is happening :D

+ Tezasaurus on October 2nd, 2009 at 4:10 pm said:

Keep these spots coming, Sony; it’s the first decent ad campaign you’ve done in a decade!

+ Dice_for_Death_ on October 2nd, 2009 at 4:13 pm said:

Whomever you’ve got that masterminds these ads? Keep him/her, and any descendants s/he leaves behind. You’re a wizard, ____!

+ NewYork214 on October 2nd, 2009 at 4:16 pm said:

this commercial is awesome.lol. wish i had enough money to buy uncharted2. had to spend all my money on fixing stupid PS3.

+ mxpxboy on October 2nd, 2009 at 4:23 pm said:

@xenorevlis

Apparently, I’m the only one who hasn’t seen the trailer the other times it was shown. Yes, people expect some level of betrayal but that still doesn’t give them the right to ruin it for some of us.

PS- We DO know “who”. It was very clearly Chloe double crossing Nate.

+ glody on October 2nd, 2009 at 4:24 pm said:

Great commercial guys, just wanted to let everyone know I have my copy pre-ordered and ready for pickup at gamestop for release day. YOU SHOULD TOO! :) CANT WAIT!!!

+ LordMetzen on October 2nd, 2009 at 4:24 pm said:

Ok About GRAN TURISMO PSP….

Reviewers gave LOW SCORES because NO CAREER MODE….

WHAT ABOUT THE ADDITION OF CUSTOM SOUNDTRACKS????….

Just play for around 10 minutes and you’ll unlock it…how can a reviewer not say anything at all about one of the biggest new features of Gran Turismo???…

Seems like a copy/paste disease among sites and magazines…just my 2 cents…buy GT lol

+ GUNSOFDAPATRIOTS on October 2nd, 2009 at 4:25 pm said:

Awesome commercial, I hope to see it being advertised to death during NFL Football, WWE Monday Night RAW, and UFC Ultimate Fighter programming.

+ mxpxboy on October 2nd, 2009 at 4:26 pm said:

So now, the whole time I’m playing along side Chloe, I’m going to be unable to feel fully immersed in the experience because I’m going to be anticipating her betraying me the whole time. It’s going to be running through my mind instead of just enjoying the story.

+ Deviation on October 2nd, 2009 at 4:28 pm said:

Excellent, excellent commercial. Much better than the lackluster ad for the original. But where’s the marketing for this game? It should be *HUGE* but I haven’t seen anything for it yet. Why isn’t this ad airing already?

+ GUNSOFDAPATRIOTS on October 2nd, 2009 at 4:30 pm said:

Anyone else notice how Peter Dille is becoming PlayStation’s version of the guy from those Mac commercials bashing Windows??

Good idea Sony.

+ GUNSOFDAPATRIOTS on October 2nd, 2009 at 4:34 pm said:

The commercial is lacking a “Uncharted 2 IN STORES NOW” (assuming they plan on airing it after the game comes out) but that’s about it.

+ tinyEvel on October 2nd, 2009 at 4:34 pm said:

@mxpxboy..Dude let it go. I think maybe you’re bringing something from your personal life into it? I mean, the game’s immersive and all but jeez. Or maybe it’s a double doublecrossing? or a headfake. You know like when they fake they have the good guy as a hostage/captured to get into the enemy camp (Tropic Thunder etc.) If it was a huge spoiler they’d not have that scene in the spot. I’m sure they review the footage before the air the ad.
Either way I gotz it pre-ordered and looking forward to Platinum trophyness FTW!

+ Einhander138 on October 2nd, 2009 at 4:36 pm said:

@100

Prove I don’t have a PS3.

I have a 60gb PS3 in fact.

Can’t wait to play Demon’s Souls – a good *single* player adventure.

+ joben88 on October 2nd, 2009 at 4:45 pm said:

hilarious, they need to keep making commercials with the guy who answers the questions. everyone has been great, my favorite has been the pedroia one for MLB.

+ ElektroDragon on October 2nd, 2009 at 4:48 pm said:

BRILLIANT ad! If only the Amiga were advertised like this in the 80s.

+ NEJI64 on October 2nd, 2009 at 4:48 pm said:

wheres the bundles at. make killzone 2 & inFAMOUS bundle back.

+ LIFEOFDAPARTY312 on October 2nd, 2009 at 4:53 pm said:

Wow awesome ad Great job guys!
But, I have one quick question is there going to be one about Assassin’s Creed II?

+ bg93- on October 2nd, 2009 at 4:55 pm said:

I visit the blog often so when I saw the title on N4G I was kinda like WTH? Uncharted 2 will be amazing but its not the only thing the PS3 has! Then I clicked it and realized it was the commercial. Dear Sony, I love these commercials, keep ‘em coming, no more scary babies (I’ll never let that go!)

+ Keysersoze10033 on October 2nd, 2009 at 4:56 pm said:

Pretty good at displaying the assets of the game, but light on punch lines. Not bad though, keep up the good work Sony.

+ remanutd5 on October 2nd, 2009 at 4:57 pm said:

excellent ad guys , i hope you do 1 like this featuring Uncharted 2 , Ratchet and Clank A Crack in Time , Demons Souls , Eyepet and BUZZ Quiz World for the ps3 and another 1 featuring Motorstorm Arctic Edge , Gran Turismo , Pixeljunk Monsters Deluxe , Little Big Planet , Jack and Daxter The Lost Frontier , Socom Fireteam Bravo 3 and BUZZ Quiz World for the psp , btw im LOVING my new psp go and Motorstorm Arctic Edge !!!!!!! AWESOME !!!!

+ theteam916 on October 2nd, 2009 at 5:01 pm said:

funny video, hope i get to see it on tv

+ xiked on October 2nd, 2009 at 5:01 pm said:

Will there be a GT5 tv spot in December ;)*praise for a release in us and eu!* :P

PLZPLZ

+ Naken on October 2nd, 2009 at 5:30 pm said:

Can’t wait for the game to launch! I’ve been playing the Beta version for a week straight now.

+ Saigon1914 on October 2nd, 2009 at 5:34 pm said:

OMG…that was even better than the last one…lol…this is classic…

+ GODSWARPANTS on October 2nd, 2009 at 5:36 pm said:

This commercial is funny, my girlfriend watched me play Uncharted 1. Not the gameplay but only the cut scenes. Which is kind of funny as she intends to watch me play Uncharted 2 and watch the cut scenes.

I had her watch the commercial and she was laughing, sort of a joke on g/f and wifes. But in a good way of course.

+ jayyy91 on October 2nd, 2009 at 5:41 pm said:

Haha! That was awesome!

I’m glad to see that not only are awesome commercials being made, but they’re also getting lots of TV time! (At least here in Canada they are).

I just saw the “2 words: Mon-tage” commercial on TV and it’s good to see a comercial showcasing all of the amazing games on PS3 and not just talking about the hardware.

Keep up the great work guys!

+ ne4ious on October 2nd, 2009 at 5:42 pm said:

FCUKING EPIC! FUNNY SSA MARKETING COMMERCIALS.

FIXING MY YLOD 60GB LAUNCH PS3 RIGHT NOW….CAN’T WAIT TO PLAY UNCHARTED 2: AMONG THIEVES.

+ mafecto on October 2nd, 2009 at 5:53 pm said:

This is hilarious because its exactly what happened to me with the first one. My girl kept bugging me to play it so she could watch. She loved it, and she’s stoked for this one too. Thx Sony/Naughty Dog.

+ darktorns on October 2nd, 2009 at 5:54 pm said:

like that happens in real life, a nerd gamer with super hot chick..
a gamer’s dream haha

+ GibbShift on October 2nd, 2009 at 5:55 pm said:

@#5

ptrek85, you bought Crystal Defenders. Your opinion on what a good game is is hereby deemed invalid for all eternity.

As for the commercial, WIN. Nothing but gameplay and cutscenes. That’s all I ever asked for in a Sony PS3 game commercial. Dude’s girlfriend is easy on the eyes too. But seriously, Sony, keep these hit ads up. They’re all excellent.

+ srmej on October 2nd, 2009 at 6:00 pm said:

Thats funny my girlfriend loves to watch me play uncharted 2 because it is like a movie and very entertaining.

+ NukePistols on October 2nd, 2009 at 6:01 pm said:

Please make a commercial for Demon’s Souls too, that game needs some publicity. I like the new PlayStation commercials, keep it up.

+ NukePistols on October 2nd, 2009 at 6:05 pm said:

Kevin Butler is great. I know this won’t sound right, but he’s like PlayStation’s mascot now lol

+ LUGIEZ on October 2nd, 2009 at 6:13 pm said:

Nice one!

+ poodude on October 2nd, 2009 at 6:18 pm said:

These commercials are good, but I admit it would have been cool if you guys released both this and a trailer filled with gameplay instead of just one with Kevin talking about it. Doesn’t matter I hope this game sells great, it truly deserves it. Naughty Dog are the best!

+ badboodah77 on October 2nd, 2009 at 6:46 pm said:

Hilarious!

+ Jeigh on October 2nd, 2009 at 6:48 pm said:

Ha! God, I love those commercials. And the game looks almost unbelievable- you sure you didn’t just create the most interactive CG movie ever? Naughty Dog should be locked in a laboratory kennel and studied like some marvel/freak of nature- I swear, you’ll find the cure for cancer somewhere in that puppy.