PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Trinity: Souls of Zill O’ll TGS Interview

Chris Morell's Avatar + Posted by Chris Morell on Oct 02, 2009 // Senior Social Media Specialist

Jeff and PlayStation.Blog.Europe‘s Jem Alexander continue their dynamic duo-esque post-coverage of the Tokyo Game Show, this time with the focus on Trinity: Souls of Zill O’ll from Koei. If you don’t know much about the series, here’s a primer from from Jem:

While at the Tecmo Koei booth we got a chance to chat to Akihiro Suzuki, the Director of Koei’s upcoming PS3 exclusive action RPG, Trinity: Souls of Zill O’ll.

It’s the latest in the Zill O’ll series, but you’d be forgiven for not knowing that — the previous games never made it outside of Japan. It’s a pretty popular series over there and now it’s coming to both the US and Europe, so we’ll be able to see what all the fuss is about when it releases next year.

It’s a prequel to the Zill O’ll series, so story-wise it promises to be very accessible. In terms of gameplay it’s also a departure from the norm for the series, as it leaves its turn-based RPG roots behind and embraces a more action-orientated approach.

25 Comments

+ Delriach on October 2nd, 2009 at 10:20 am said:

Interesting.

+ Craiji on October 2nd, 2009 at 10:30 am said:

Does this mean it will see the light of day here?

Anything on Tales of Vesperia?

+ ShdwDrake on October 2nd, 2009 at 10:33 am said:

@2 Trinity: Souls of Zill Oll is the US title. Its called Zill Oll Zero in Japan.

Also, I really wish they would’ve kept the turned based style. The only turn based RPG on the PS3 will be FFXIII and that not even really turned based… well ES is turned based, but not really either.

I would love to see something in the vien of Blue Dragon or Lost Odyssey hit the Trey.

+ CartBlanche on October 2nd, 2009 at 10:34 am said:

There’s definitely a need for someone to bring a Diablo-esque dungeon crawler to the PS3 and other consoles.

Maybe something with more story-line like Siege of Avalon.

+ BigBoss712 on October 2nd, 2009 at 10:44 am said:

Will keep an eye on this game.

+ LokeSTL on October 2nd, 2009 at 10:45 am said:

Wish they would have stuck to turn-based. It’s so annoying how all RPGs must be “action-oriented” these days.

The gameplay reminds me of what was used in Shining Force Neo and Exa.

Though I prefer turn-based(or at least menu-based) combat, I will still support this with a day one purchase. Gotta have something to play, right?

+ LokeSTL on October 2nd, 2009 at 10:47 am said:

Oh, and I’m glad that they left co-op out. I hope that co-op and multiplayer don’t become a trend in the RPG genre. For the love of God, just let me play an epic menu-based RPG without having to deal with other people!

+ DEC123DEC on October 2nd, 2009 at 10:54 am said:

Can’t wait.

+ Dustinwp on October 2nd, 2009 at 11:10 am said:

Very much looking forward to this title.Thanks for the info guys!

+ TheInfectedBy590 on October 2nd, 2009 at 11:14 am said:

Sort of want. Will wait to see more info.

+ sobedude on October 2nd, 2009 at 11:16 am said:

+ Navarp on October 2nd, 2009 at 11:23 am said:

@CartBlanche Check out Demon’s Souls.

+ Navarp on October 2nd, 2009 at 11:24 am said:

CartBlanche, Check out a game called Demon’s Souls from Atlus. PS3 Exclusive and very Diablo-esque.

+ BlooodyCow on October 2nd, 2009 at 11:26 am said:

yeah, my questio was ask :)
Sad about the no co-op, but its an JRPG. Need more JRPG’s on the PS3

+ SuperGayParade on October 2nd, 2009 at 11:49 am said:

He had me at “similar to Demon’s Souls”

That game is an instant classic and I sincerely hope From Software makes another exclusive sequel to it. Sure a wonderful game.

+ B-RadGfromOV on October 2nd, 2009 at 1:16 pm said:

I want to punch the interviewer in the face. His drawling, hardly understandable speech really got to me.

+ Berae on October 2nd, 2009 at 2:06 pm said:

looks interesting lets see more later in 2010

+ NightHawk17 on October 2nd, 2009 at 3:20 pm said:

cant wait

+ PullusPardusUS on October 2nd, 2009 at 7:59 pm said:

aww man i , i wanted offline coop =[
i hope they add it, please offline coop is too rare these days and if this have it i’d buy it day one.

+ Jeigh on October 2nd, 2009 at 11:09 pm said:

It’s kind of funny how things have worked out. Tecmo (Tecmo Koei now, I guess), a former big time X-Box supporter seems to be one of PlayStation’s better supporters now. Things swing back and forth so strangely.

Anyway, it certainly looks interesting. I’ll need to see *how far* removed from Dynasty Warriors this thing is. Honestly, I think they should have stuck with the turn-based-RPG route, and DW is notorious for having poor values across the board- graphically, gameplay-wise and, most condemnable, literarily (I would SERIOUSLY need to stretch my imagination to bring myself to care about the death of one of those characters, especially since they’re likely to pop back up, inexplicably, five minutes later). (And the worst part is that I know that it could be so much better. The potential is obvious the first time you play one of the games- it’s when you see how little has been done three games later that you start to get frustrated.)

I realize I was fairly ‘downer’ throughout the post, but on the mere basis of it being an exclusive, I’ll give it a fair chance. Consider all premature judgments wiped away. I look forward to seeing more of this in the future.

+ SGTquig on October 3rd, 2009 at 10:58 am said:

I’ll still be playing Demon’s Souls…

+ Massive Complainer on October 3rd, 2009 at 11:00 am said:

When will KOEI go back to being awesome? Remember Aerobiz supersonic, Uncharted Waters, and PTO? They were awesome games. Please stop releasing Musou clones.

+ SHINSPIKES on October 3rd, 2009 at 11:59 am said:

I’m loving how action rpg’s are growin. I don’t understand why people are complainin. You have a million turn based games to choose from. Why can’t a new style come out for a little while? No co-op = sucks. Its perfect for co-op or online. Also, I wonder about this guy. He did dynasty warriors? So, does that mean there will huge amounts of stupid AI just standin there for you to do huge combos, with just rapidly pushin one button for 5 hours?

+ shadowkiller11 on October 3rd, 2009 at 2:23 pm said:

Looks quite good, wonder why this ain’t caught much attention

+ RurouniSaiya-jin on October 5th, 2009 at 7:17 am said:

Thanks for this interview. I’m interested in this game but haven’t had time to research it so this post was pretty helpful