No Man's Sky

Big Surprises at the UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves Cinema Events

Chris Morell's Avatar + Posted by Chris Morell on Oct 06, 2009 // Senior Social Media Specialist

Last night, four UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves cinema events simultaneously took place across the country, one of them on our very own home turf of San Francisco. It was a night packed full of fun, surprises, special guests and crazy excitement.

UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves Cinema Event 1

For starters, fans (100 of you, to be exact!) and media were greeted by UNCHARTED 2 on the big screen upon entering San Francisco’s Landmark theater. From there, a brand new section of the game’s single-player campaign (in the snowy Himalayas) was shown and introduced by Naughty Dog Creative Director Amy Hennig, who then shocked the crowd by announcing that everyone would be going home with a copy of the game…eight days early!!! Needless to say, the place erupted. Shortly after, we caught up with Amy about the whole experience.

From there, a multiplayer tournament kicked off on a never-been-played map, with a Fortune Hunter Edition up for grabs to the winner. Emotions ran high (take that, people trying to watch the French indie flick next door!) and we discovered that many of you have definitely been practicing MP in the recent demo. All the action could be seen on the movie theater screen, running through Sony Electronics‘ 4K digital cinema technology, with Senior Vice President Mike Fidler on hand to tell us how the 4K projector is the perfect fit for big-screen gaming.

For all that and more, take the video for a spin. And thanks to everyone who made it out to San Francisco, Bellevue, Thousand Oaks and Rosemont. We surely hope the night was worth your while!

And in case you’re wondering, tonight’s October 6 event is completely sold out in all four locations!

UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves SF Cinema Event 2 UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves SF Cinema Event 3

+ gl1tch3d on October 6th, 2009 at 4:38 pm said:

I had my copy of uncharted 2 pre-ordered at a game crazy store.

recently it’s in the news that they are closing 200 stores, and all the stores in my state are closed. Since the store i pre-orderd from already closed it’s doors. I just have a useless gift card with my pre-order downpayment on it now.

Is there any way now for me and others who wanted the game crazy pre-order bonus to still get our currency multiplyer?

I want to pre-order it again now, but I’m unsure if i can get the pre-order bonus that I choose.

+ mattergamer47 on October 6th, 2009 at 4:39 pm said:

playstation i have a problem with my ps3 it will turn on but it only shows black and its on the right iput with all cables and eveery thing if i send it in can you keep the saved data including trophies to a new one please reply. thankyou btw if you know whats wrong can you reply telling me what to do and if you can put all saved things inculding trophies on a new one i was waiting for uncharted two sol long i dont want to make that saving up for nothing. please reply. thankyou.

+ emiru69 on October 6th, 2009 at 4:59 pm said:

I went to the event and I had such a great time. Everyone was friendly and helpful. Thanks Sony and thanks Naughty Dog! Now you have to do the same thing for Ratchet and Clank! ^_^

Chris Morell's Avatar

+ Chris Morell on October 6th, 2009 at 5:04 pm said:

Glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for coming!

+ WingTrl on October 6th, 2009 at 4:59 pm said:

you guys need to do this stuff more often and in every state

+ Nick-30 on October 6th, 2009 at 5:01 pm said:

This is a 110% must buy for me. I’m getting this from day 1.
I pumped only 5 more days.

+ Azure-Edge on October 6th, 2009 at 5:26 pm said:

Man I wish so badly that they would have had one of those events in Dallas. We always get screwed outta the good shows and stuff.

+ UnKn0nSldr86 on October 6th, 2009 at 5:31 pm said:

well, 7 days isn’t that long for me anyways, i can wait. now i just need to avoid youtube videos from people that are playing the game so i won’t be expose to any spoilers.

+ miami2399 on October 6th, 2009 at 5:32 pm said:

yeah that kinda pisses me off!! I was invited to apply to work the event through GAP but was not accepted. Now I hear they get a free copy of the game. Pretty irritating. The first invite since being a GAP member for damn near 5 years and nothing. If I didnt like the game so much I would probably cancel my pre-order. Oh well, I guess Sony cant be perfect after all.

+ Gambit07 on October 6th, 2009 at 5:38 pm said:

I was at the LA event, I got the game!

+ BG808s on October 6th, 2009 at 5:49 pm said:

Awesome event and an even more awesome game!! Not GOTY – GOTC for Century!! :)

I was one of the lucky ones who made it to the Thousand Oaks event, so now I can play Uncharted 2 early while wearing my very own Uncharted 2 t-shirt! ;-) Thanks Naughty Dog & Sony, Great job!! Also congrats to the winners of the fortune hunter edition, my team (Grenades) wasn’t as lucky and lost out in the first round, oh well can’t get it all…

+ jimfear on October 6th, 2009 at 5:49 pm said:

Yo uncharted 1 im really happy for you and imma let you finish but uncharted 2 got a better visual aspect.

+ PHANTASMN707 on October 6th, 2009 at 6:04 pm said:

That was a great event at the Landmark Embarcadero last night. GO TEAM NAVARRO lol (I was the guy with the sign ;))

Looking forward to any other events like this one for future releases on the one and only PS3 :D

+ specialist08 on October 6th, 2009 at 6:06 pm said:

Great game and waiting for it to come home with me the day it comes out. On an other topic we must have skype with in game chat. It will and can happen it just has to be put in motion, so come on Sony you know we love your product so please give us what we want and that is in game chat and that can happen with skype. Until this comes out I will post this to every post I can find so Sony…. the faster you move to please use (the PS family) the more sails you as a company will accumulate. You know what’s also sweeeeeet? We can also talk to people that have a Ps3 or not near there ps3 through there phones or computers or psp so I ask my self as well as others may have asked also Sony…. what are you waiting for?

+ guano68 on October 6th, 2009 at 6:10 pm said:

So bummed I missed this…had tickets and everything but had to work late. Looks like a lot of fun! Argh. Loving the multiplayer demo and can’t wait for the full release!

+ iComet on October 6th, 2009 at 6:20 pm said:

BUY THIS GAME!!
SUPPORT YOUR EXCLUSIVES, GUYS!!

+ C-Murph666 on October 6th, 2009 at 6:24 pm said:

Can I has Fortune Hunter Version nao?

+ Shift41 on October 6th, 2009 at 6:26 pm said:

hey!!! ware is my free copy of the game!!!

+ BusterKnight on October 6th, 2009 at 6:31 pm said:

I REALLY do hope Naughty Dog doesn’t forget us Canadian Fortune Hunters with those Fortune Hunter Editions…. ; )

+ Draicus on October 6th, 2009 at 6:38 pm said:

+ Goaliegeek on October 6th, 2009 at 6:44 pm said:

Probably to late to ask, but any plans on having an event in Colorado anytime soon?

+ Juwan11 on October 6th, 2009 at 6:54 pm said:

Wish I was there :(

+ VofEscaflowne on October 6th, 2009 at 6:57 pm said:

Needs more Canadian events :( The things I would do for an early copy of Uncharted 2…

+ KSPRAYDAD on October 6th, 2009 at 6:59 pm said:

I hosted the launch event for Canada yesterday in my back yard. We set up a sheet and played ShadowPuppet: Among Thieves. Kyle Moffat didn’t show up with any swag though so I sent everyone home with some year old Hallowe’en Kisses.

Good times.

(On a positive note I preordered UC2:AT for $49 at Dell!)

+ DarknessBear on October 6th, 2009 at 7:01 pm said:

That was so much fun! (Went to the Thousand Oaks Muvico) Was captain of team Navarro (if any of you are reading this and were part of my team, send me a friend invite!) And we got 3rd place and won the signed poster of U2!

It was amazing and I am currently playing the game and it is UNREAL. Friggen fantastic.

Thank you Sony and NaughtyDog (and Muvico) for the great fun!

+ Valentik999 on October 6th, 2009 at 7:01 pm said:

Stupid marketing. Thanks im glad i live on the east coast and get nothing. Dont worry despite my ylod i still remain loyal. How can everybody win the fortune hunters. I and many other deserving fans have been waiting for a while. We all ready got screwed on the early demo, when it came out almost immediately after. Just post it already, this will be terrible if you post it once the game is released. Im sure you will because you want everyone to buy a copy before you reward.

+ ADR143 on October 6th, 2009 at 7:01 pm said:

cant w8 for tha game!

+ LUGIEZ on October 6th, 2009 at 7:16 pm said:

haha.. there it is fisticuffs

+ Voozi on October 6th, 2009 at 7:17 pm said:

My friend is at the San Francisco event, he just told me they’re all getting a free copy of the game, lucky! lol (Come on Sony, nothing in NYC? lol)

+ Einhander138 on October 6th, 2009 at 7:26 pm said:

“Ha! No, it’s more of a “we love our fans” post. Make sure to watch the vid though…there’s some good stuff in there :-)”

That is a load of crap.

@#3

You are exactly right.

This is ND pouring salt into the wounds of people who are excluded from going.

Thank you ND, for you racist, xenophobic policies!

+ Davenport on October 6th, 2009 at 7:34 pm said:

I don’t have a credit card so I purchased Gran Turismo at Best buy via the Playstation Network Game Card. Now Sony tells me I don’t get the PSN gift (2009 Nissan GT-R Spec V) b/c I used a voucher to download the game. WTF?!?! Way to screw your loyal customers Sony! That is the last PSN game I ever buy. The only reason I bought the PSN version was for that car. Hope the PSPGo is a complete failure b/c I’ll be playing only UMDs on my PSP-3000 from here on out.

+ coolasj19 on October 6th, 2009 at 7:37 pm said:

guys. i know you guys LOVE to really put this out nation wide but it always irritates me that Houston ( the USA’s 4th largest city ) gets absoultly NO representation in ANY of this. it kinda isnt fair. i know there is little you can do about this but it would be nice.

+ TrueLink00 on October 6th, 2009 at 7:42 pm said:

I thought about going to the one in Chicago but it’s still an eight hour drive. :p

+ Kittonwy on October 6th, 2009 at 8:01 pm said:

I cannot wait for this game. >:|

+ AceNet2 on October 6th, 2009 at 8:06 pm said:

Amy is one cool chick! Always gives a good interview. Thank you Amy and the rest of the Dogs for creating the masterpiece that is Uncharted 2.

-Chris or Jeff, next time you guys see Amy ask if she has a hot, available daughter in the 21-30 range for me!

+ dragongamer5894 on October 6th, 2009 at 8:10 pm said:

Are you serious?! Damn, now I wished I went to a event like that but I’m far from San Francisco. -_-

+ Skunka on October 6th, 2009 at 8:16 pm said:

As I write this, I’m sitting in the Muvico Theatre in Thousand Oaks California at the LA event. Everything is great, except for 2 things. 1st off, In the tournament not being able to change your settings more specically, switching to inverted is not allowed. That right there that automatically gave the other team a major handicap. So in my eyes the tournament was not fair. 2ndly, in the blog it clearly stated that attendees would be treated to “free chow (food & drink)”. I’m here… & there’s nothing. Kinda of upset…. If I walk out of here with a copy of the game, that’ll more than make up. But unlike yesterday where everybody got in for free & every single person received a copy of the game, today us the PAYING fans will only receive 20 raffled off copys of the game. Not to fairly balanced. Don’t you think? If u say ur gonna do something, you should do it. Especially if your a reputable company like Sony is.

+ SOOPERGOOMAN187 on October 6th, 2009 at 8:19 pm said:

Oh man would I have liked to be there tonight but I’m really freaking far away and the plane ticket would be in the thousands but if you are going to have a MAg event like this. Any chance of throwin one out my way.

Like all Days, they begin Here First…..

+ gold5225 on October 6th, 2009 at 8:19 pm said:

You guys should Visit Buffalo New York sometime. We have big love for PlayStation Around here.

+ BusterKnight on October 6th, 2009 at 8:26 pm said:

It is worth a shot, but you guys should come to the Canadian East Coast! That would make me very happy. : D

+ gamerboy845 on October 6th, 2009 at 8:26 pm said:

cool, JAK and Daxter pls

+ gamerboy845 on October 6th, 2009 at 8:27 pm said:

cool, Jak and DAXTER??

+ RurouniSaiya-jin on October 6th, 2009 at 8:28 pm said:

I’m happy for all the people who got a free copy of the game. Naughty Dogs are definitely pretty classy devs ^,^

+ ClinToN on October 6th, 2009 at 8:51 pm said:

Oh, before I hit play on the video, I was under the impression that they were filming live random demo players. lol

I was like…”oops I hope they didn’t catch me cursing out loud” ;)

+ Jeff257 on October 6th, 2009 at 8:55 pm said:

I just wish they could do something like this here in Greenville, NC. Its a small town but a small college town lots of gamers here Im sure.

+ Naneni on October 6th, 2009 at 8:58 pm said:

Gah, I just heard about it an hour ago and I think I could have gone (the SF one). I hope there might be another event that I can go to.

+ Bug42 on October 6th, 2009 at 9:00 pm said:

I love how these events only take place on the west coast

+ Narutofreak1 on October 6th, 2009 at 9:04 pm said:

Rofl. Was thinking of going to the Thousand Oaks one….but that’s like 2 hours away. No way. Oh well. Only 1 more week.

+ The1stMJC on October 6th, 2009 at 9:19 pm said:

I went to the Chicago event on Monday and it was AWESOME. Got to watch some cool levels and play in the Tournament, yea I was knocked out in the 2nd round, but it was still awesome.

And I got the copy of the game for FREE and my guest I took won a PSPGo!!!.

Please Sony do this more often in Chicago it was so cool.

+ BaronBrain on October 6th, 2009 at 9:31 pm said:

*UGH*

I’m so incredibly depressed about this Cinema Event, I doubt I can properly put it into words.

I REALLY wanted to attend my local event here in Thousand Oaks… I mean REALLY!!! It’s been years since I’ve been able to go to any sort of function like this, or attend a “fun” event like E3 or Comic Con. I’ve been chronically ill for 11+ years now (i.e. very disabled due to an very nasty genetic disease), and slowly getting worse with time. I loved UNCHARTED; it really made me forget about my health issues, and feel “alive” again. Not many things can do that these days. So needless to say, I’ve been looking forward to UNCHARTED 2 like no other game (um, except for any new Tim Schafer game).

Mentally, I was ready to make the journey and actually got as far as “nearly” ordering my ticket — I suddenly realized what I had been about to do as I was entering my credit card info. Whoops.

[cont. on Post #98]

+ BaronBrain on October 6th, 2009 at 9:32 pm said:

[cont. from Post #97]

As my wife so bluntly stated, it would have been mildly entertaining watching me try to get to this event — my family apparently had bets as to how far I would have gotten (favored odds were that = I would have somehow found the strength to crawl my way to the front door). Great.

So to those of your who WERE able to attend your local event, I sincerely hope you had the most fantastic of evenings. But just the same, I hope you don’t begrudge my having a small bit of jealousy about how fortunate you folks attended the event truly were.

While it’s very true that I wanted to attend this event, I would give nearly anything to be able to attend any funtion existing out there in the “real world”.

Oh well… at least I’ll still have thye game to play some day soon… and once again be able to feel like I’m living again, at least for a while.

Anyway, regard to you all.

(Sorry if I came across as too gloomy; it’s been a REALLY bad couple of weeks here in Los Angeles with the fires, the heat, and health-related difficulties…)