PS3-TLOU Left Behind

Demon’s Souls Now Available for PS3

Aram Jabbari's Avatar + Posted by Aram Jabbari on Oct 06, 2009 // Manager of PR and Sales, ATLUS

The Kingdom of Boletaria is now open to you, brave adventurers/PlayStation Blog readers: Demon’s Souls for PlayStation 3 is now available in retailers across North America.

For months leading up to its release, we’ve emphasized the game’s difficulty level, striving in every instance not to misrepresent the game and to ensure that curious gamers are not caught off guard by the challenges that await them. That said, we don’t want anyone to steer clear of the game because of what they’ve heard. If that is not the perfect segue into some starting tips for new heroes, then I don’t know what is.

Demon's Souls burn baby burn

Demon’s General Warning: Fire can be hazardous to your health

*Mild Spoiler Alert*

Your first task in Demon’s Souls, before even jumping into the game world, is to create your character. Demon’s Souls offers 10 different player classes, each with different starting stats and equipment.

Unlike many RPGs, Demon’s Souls does not punish players for choosing something out of line with their play style. Regardless of which class you pick, you’ll be able to eventually do anything another class is more capable of at the start; all it takes is a little extra work. Therefore, if you want to be a spellcaster, archer, or melee fighter, it will make more sense to choose an appropriate class to start, but just because you do so doesn’t mean you won’t be dabbling in other classes’ strengths later on, and you probably won’t be anywhere near as tempted as in other RPGs to keep creating new characters and playing the first bit over and over again in order to make that perfect build. That simply isn’t accomplished at the beginning; it’s done over the course of your epic adventure (as it should be).

I (and most Demon’s Souls players, it seems) would recommend the Royalty class to most newcomers. The Royalty class begins with a Soul Level of 1, which means that the Soul Point requirement for advancing the first few levels is the least, allowing players the most early stat customization options. Moreover, the class begins with a catalyst (wand) and the Soul Arrow spell memorized, making them a long-range spell casting force to be reckoned with. On top of all this, they start with the Fragrant Ring equipped, an item that offers slow but steady Magic Point regeneration. For more class tips, and other helpful info, consult our newly launched wiki.

This description may make the Royalty class sound like a no-brainer (and I’m sure some Demon’s Souls players would argue that is the case), but the beauty of the game is that the class decision at the beginning ultimately makes little difference to the vast majority of the game experience (contrary to most games). Not to suggest that customization doesn’t matter; in fact, it matters a great deal!

Rather, in Demon’s Souls, it is the choices you make on how to advance and evolve your character that are key, delivering a MUCH more satisfying and rewarding role-playing experience than many other entries in the genre. Also, the Royalty class will initially suffer in up-close combat, something to consider if that’s your style (and consideration of what exactly your preferred play style in such a game actually is is crucial to your enjoyment of the game… again, something that other RPGs don’t really take into consideration).

Demon's Souls lookout

My, how many eyes you have…

Don’t worry when you die almost immediately at the end of the tutorial; death is unavoidable by design. You’ll be revived in the Nexus by the Maiden in Black, who will later on be your means for advancing/leveling your character. The first and only region you’ll initially have access to is the Boletarian Palace (1-1). Don’t be alarmed when you begin this area and find a number of bloodstains (indications of other players’ deaths, if you’re connected to PlayStation Network). The game takes a little getting used to, hence some folks meeting early (and repeated, at times) deaths.

Here are a few important tips:

1. Watch your stamina carefully – Stamina is crucial to melee fighting in Demon’s Souls. There have been very well-received RPGs in gaming history that have allowed players to simply hack away at the attack button, but this is NOT the case in Demon’s Souls. You will only be able to string/combo attack as long as you have stamina (the green bar) left, and when it is depleted, you’ll just stand there and be open to attack unless you move around intelligently and manage your stamina well. Power swings take more stamina (duh), and absorbing a power hit will deplete you as much if not more (and if you’re already low on stamina, will stun you and open you up to attacks).

2. Don’t try to get away with more than makes logical sense – That is to say, if you think it would be ill-advised to take on 4-5 foes at once in real life, don’t put yourself in that situation in Demon’s Souls. Rushing ahead foolishly will get a lot of enemy attention. Sound judgment would suggest progressing with a more measured pace, only antagonizing a manageable number of enemies and making your life easier.

3. Shield if you got’em – If you are a melee fighter, you’d be remiss not to use your shield at every possible opportunity. With most shields, you’ll still take a bit of damage when you absorb a blow using a shield (although the amount varies with shield quality, and some shields negate all damage), but it will be far less than having no shield at all (even faced with fire/magic attacks, a shield can help reduce damage taken).

4. Pay CLOSE attention to your surroundings (and if you’re playing online, the hints left by others) – The game will rarely warn you if you’re about to make a mistake or head in a path not quite appropriate for your character. It will instead let you make the mistake, die, and hopefully learn from it. That said, the messaging system and bloodstain system built into the game give players connected to PSN an ample supply of hints and warnings for avoiding ambushes, traps, and dangerous foes (for more info, watch our second walkthrough video, which touches on the online features extensively.

Once you get the hang of 1-1 and defeat the area’s boss, Demon’s Souls opens up to you—literally. You’ll be able to access the initial area of all of the five other archstones AND you’ll receive the Blue eye stone, which lets you drop Soul Signs on the ground and, when you’re dead/in soul form, you can be summoned by living players into their games to assist them in their quest.

Demon's Souls strat guide

You could have helpful information like this if you pick up the Deluxe Edition, which is selling rather briskly, and snag yourself the strategy guide, which is not sold separately…

I’ll suggest beginners proceed to 1-2 or 2-1 after completing 1-1, or, at the very least, leave the fifth archstone for a little later. It’s a bit more challenging (relatively speaking) and will be more enjoyable a little later on.

Demon’s Souls is a very hard game to sum up or describe in a short amount of space, as evidenced by this rather lengthy blog entry. As deep and nuanced as the game is, as much as there is to get out of it, players will find the actual game mechanics incredibly simple and intuitive. It’s breaking out of the run-and-gun (or hack-and-slash, rather) mentality of other games that can be a challenge. Once you manage to, though, expect one of the most rewarding, satisfying, time-sucking roleplaying experiences you’ve ever had, complete with beautiful visuals, haunting music, and some of the most immersive stages ever.

We’re really excited to join you in the Kingdom of Boletaria and perhaps fight alongside you as you confront a towering boss (or help you fend off another invading player from your world), but don’t only take our word for it; plenty of critics agree:

9/10, Editor’s Choice Award — “Brutally challenging and utterly engrossing, this innovative role-playing game is one of the year’s best.” — GameSpot

95 — “Gorgeous, thoughtful, and complete unto itself, it’s the second-best title I’ve played this year. Maybe even better.” — Play Magazine

5/5 — “Demon’s Souls is the best game I’ve played all year.” — RPGamer

95 — “Without question, Demon’s Souls is one of 2009′s finest titles, and an amazing, challenging journey without equal.” — GameCritics

94 — “This is a truly exceptional RPG experience that hasn’t been offered by any other game in its genre.” — GameZone

Demon’s Souls is out now for PlayStation 3…see you online!

As a thanks for all your interest and support of Demon’s Souls, we’ve got 10 signed posters (by Mr. Takeshi Kajii, producer) to give out to folks. All you have to do is comment about this blog post and tell us what class you’ll be when you finally get the game (for more info regarding classes, visit the official game site at www.demons-souls.com). We’ll choose 10 winners and send them one of these ultra-rare collectibles!

PAGE 1 2 3 6

+ Enigma777 on October 6th, 2009 at 12:58 pm said:

Can’t wait! Getting my copy at 6pm but I wont have time to play till 10… I’ll see you on the battlefield! I’ll be the glowing red guy who keeps invading you and stabbing you in the back >:]

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

+ Aram Jabbari on October 6th, 2009 at 1:45 pm said:

Sounds like you\’ll be very popular then…

+ BenderUnit22 on October 6th, 2009 at 1:02 pm said:

Looking into importing this one. I fear for my controller though :D

+ Neil on October 6th, 2009 at 1:03 pm said:

I just got the LE version at Gamestop and the girl working there was being served papers as I was waiting in line. This game is that hardcore!

+ HAVOC___________ on October 6th, 2009 at 1:03 pm said:

This game is awsome I highly recommend it to all and dont be afraid to play online. I waited along time to try out the online features but once you do youll have some help in this dangerous adventure.

+ Enigma777 on October 6th, 2009 at 1:03 pm said:

Also, I’ll be a temple knight. Power>Speed

+ Shane_O on October 6th, 2009 at 1:03 pm said:

The game is on it’s way on a UPS truck as I write this! I really can’t wait to get home and play it!

As for me, I’ll probably start off with the Knight class!

+ Protohype on October 6th, 2009 at 1:04 pm said:

Thanks for the tip Aram. I’m going to be a soldier first then maybe knight. Got the Deluxe and it’s pretty sweet.

+ PEULL on October 6th, 2009 at 1:04 pm said:

Yeah Demons’ souls looks great! Mine is already coming in the mail for tomorrow youhou! I think I’ll do as you said and take the royalty class.

See you all online!

+ TuxBobble on October 6th, 2009 at 1:04 pm said:

I’m really really excited about this game. I’ve been tracking it for a long time now (since I first heard about its uniquely networked gameplay) and can’t believe the wait is almost over. Just need to wait for shipping to get it to me!

I’m just wondering–is there a “death counter” in this game? It’d be interesting to see just how many times I die throughout the course of the game.

Man, can’t get over how exciting a genuinely CHALLENGING game is to me–they’re so rare nowadays.

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

+ Aram Jabbari on October 6th, 2009 at 1:46 pm said:

The game does keep track of the number of times you\’ve died, yes. In fact, at the very top of the Nexus you\’ll find the Pantheon, an in-game leaderboard of sorts that ranks the top players in a few categories. It\’s a great way, especially after a few weeks, to see some of the really amazing character customization that\’s possible.

+ Armstrong on October 6th, 2009 at 1:05 pm said:

Woohoo! Fantastic game guys! I’m going to start with the Temple Knight. Wish me luck

+ Mattimeoo on October 6th, 2009 at 1:05 pm said:

I can’t find this game ANYWHERE . . .

I want it so bad.

+ DKShadow on October 6th, 2009 at 1:06 pm said:

I’m sorry if you’ve been asked this 100 times already, but here goes:

Should I just go ahead and order the game from the US or are there any news of a potential European release? Thanks :)

+ EddyxMob on October 6th, 2009 at 1:07 pm said:

I shall pick this up when I get More Money

EPIC Hardcore RPG
^^,

Speed Class Be My Pick

+ BigBoss712 on October 6th, 2009 at 1:07 pm said:

Here waiting for my copy to arrive, got the deluxe edition, strategy guide is worth the extra money especially for a game like this, thanks for the tips. Congrats on all the great reviews.

My starting class will be Royal, I like the way it looks and i heard it comes with a very useful healing ring. :)

+ ptrek85 on October 6th, 2009 at 1:09 pm said:

Getting the LE today but don’t plan on playing it until tomorrow. Today is reserved for reading/memorizing the controls, the instruction manual, and the strategy guide while listening to the game’s soundtrack.I’ve been waiting for a truly challenging next-gen game and its finally here!

See you all on the battlefield!

+ Spaulding on October 6th, 2009 at 1:09 pm said:

What about a European release?

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

+ Aram Jabbari on October 6th, 2009 at 1:50 pm said:

Spaulding,

There are currently no plans for it to come to Europe, to my knowledge. Atlus U.S.A., Inc. is strictly a North American publisher. Hopefully, the game gets enough attention and praise (and it seems to be) to make the trip overseas (again :D).

+ asop89 on October 6th, 2009 at 1:09 pm said:

This game is very interesting, I wanna try it out :-)

& Mr. Aram you should have posted the Gamespot review from today, they gave it a good score & explained the game very nicely.

+ Xulap on October 6th, 2009 at 1:09 pm said:

Got it some minutes ago!
Just inserted it into my PS3 for the first time.

Too bad GameStop didn’t give me the promised pre-order goodies. :(

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

+ Aram Jabbari on October 6th, 2009 at 1:56 pm said:

Xulap,

Our humble apologies for your trouble getting your pre-order bonus. We strongly recommend you follow-up with your store.

Unfortunately, Atlus is taken out of the pre-order bonus fulfillment process as soon as we hand the goods off to our retail partners. Making sure you discuss the pre-order items at pick up or even prior in future cases is key to ensuring your goods are properly given to you.

+ Jazar on October 6th, 2009 at 1:10 pm said:

I think I will try the Barbarian to be a rough character class that can wield the biggest weapons.

+ HouseMorton on October 6th, 2009 at 1:11 pm said:

Oh, sounds fun. Can this game be played locally multiplayer (i.e. split screen)?

+ beanman101283 on October 6th, 2009 at 1:12 pm said:

Sounds like I’ll be picking the Royalty class as a first time character. Thanks for the tips, they sound useful.

+ Moosehole on October 6th, 2009 at 1:12 pm said:

Can’t wait to play this game! I love Atlus you do great work bringing games to the States.

That said, man you guys sure made this game hard to find. (for me at least) I went EVERYWHERE today trying to pick it up and no one had it. So eventually I came home and bought the game from Amazon.com and got next-day shipping.

I’ll be playing tomorrow!

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

+ Aram Jabbari on October 6th, 2009 at 1:59 pm said:

Moosehole,

Sorry for your trouble finding the game, it is possible that it is still making its way to stores in your area today (or, that it has already sold out, in which case, hopefully we\’ll have more copies into your neck of the woods soon :D)!

+ ijustw1n on October 6th, 2009 at 1:14 pm said:

Royalty class sounds like the way I’m going. As much good as I’ve heard about this game as a great dungeon crawler, is there a point to it? An overarching story to tie it all together?

+ nickjd331 on October 6th, 2009 at 1:14 pm said:

I really want this game. Is it coming to Europe?

+ HouseMorton on October 6th, 2009 at 1:14 pm said:

PS, I’ll probably try out thief first, as I find the fighter classes in these style of games typically very boring. Thief classes are usually the hardest, but most fun…

+ Magus_Ered on October 6th, 2009 at 1:16 pm said:

I’m definitely starting out as Royalty for the mana ring and other starting equipment.

+ NSI on October 6th, 2009 at 1:16 pm said:

I’ve had mine, shipped to work, since before lunch been waiting for the end of the day to get home and play. 45 minutes left now.

Reading the manual and the official guide I had settled upon going with the Royalty class before this blog post showed up. Glad to see I was on the right track.

Go Atlus! Keep the PS3 games coming.

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

+ Aram Jabbari on October 6th, 2009 at 2:06 pm said:

NSI,

I\’ve found, with all the hours I\’ve logged into the game for work and personal enjoyment, that after a while, because of how well the melee combat is done, there\’s something satisfying about making a pure fighter with no spellcasting or ranged ability and just trying to take everything on face-to-face.

Also, while the Royalty class is easier than others for beginners, you still need to be careful to avoid getting outnumbered by melee opponents. Unless you balance your stats, you\’ll find yourself very susceptible to melee attacks, and moreover, unable to equip heavy armor or shields until you invest in strength and dexterity.

That\’s the beauty of the game, really: it feels so different based on the character you make and how you customize their stats.

+ yonyonsson on October 6th, 2009 at 1:17 pm said:

Anyone know what store sells this game online and sends to Europe? Amazon.com refuses to ship this title outside of US.

+ Jon_Mclane on October 6th, 2009 at 1:18 pm said:

Just picked up my copy of the deluxe edition and the soundtrack art book. I’m so excited to pop it open but am still in the process of smelling everything

+ Berae on October 6th, 2009 at 1:18 pm said:

Its coming tomorrow in Canada well some places at least. Cant wait!

+ Patriotbball5460 on October 6th, 2009 at 1:20 pm said:

Game looks awesome!

I plan on playing as a knight when I get the game, just because it fits my usual RPG play style, but I may switch it up, you never know.

Congrats on doing so well! You guys are in the Top 10 for Videogames on Amazon.com today!

+ depward on October 6th, 2009 at 1:20 pm said:

Picked up an import many months ago and enjoyed my time. I’ll probably stick with Royalty.

+ LandRoverAttack on October 6th, 2009 at 1:20 pm said:

I’m picking up my Limited Edition this afternoon, and when I get it online I think I’ll make a Wanderer… the name says it all, don’t you think?

+ SaintNoir on October 6th, 2009 at 1:22 pm said:

AWESOME. Thanks for the posts. I preordered mine on Amazon a few weeks back… now if they would only ship it… I WANT TO PLAY DEMON’S SOULS!

+ lordfuneral on October 6th, 2009 at 1:22 pm said:

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

+ Aram Jabbari on October 6th, 2009 at 2:10 pm said:

lordfuneral,

Nothing scheduled at this time, sorry. Still, the game is region-free, so you are able to import the NA release and play with NA gamers, and because the game\’s netcode is so well-optimized, you\’ll likely experience little to no network performance issues (despite the geographical gap).

Thanks for your interest. Hopefully Demon\’s Souls can come to your region in the near future!

+ Draicus on October 6th, 2009 at 1:23 pm said:

Really looking forward to getting this.

Leaning towards starting as the Wanderer class.

+ ptrek85 on October 6th, 2009 at 1:24 pm said:

And because I forgot I’ll be playing as a magician partially because it seems to be a class that others are staying away from.

+ rmziidx on October 6th, 2009 at 1:25 pm said:

I’m going to try out the Royal class since it’s so highly recommended, but if I find that the spellcasting thing isn’t really my bag I’ll probably try the Temple Knight next, for the whole Paladin-like thing.

+ IceCold on October 6th, 2009 at 1:26 pm said:

I have no idea what this game is but i may take a look at it. *added to gamefly Q*

+ smokey_vols on October 6th, 2009 at 1:27 pm said:

I’m going to go with your recommendation and choose the Royalty class to start out with. Been waiting on this game to come out for awhile, I hope I can make it through it.

+ SaintNoir on October 6th, 2009 at 1:28 pm said:

Ohh… Contest… didn’t see that before i posted… Give me a Royal more than likely. Need to acclimate before I decimate (or get decimated to be true).

+ Jon_Mclane on October 6th, 2009 at 1:29 pm said:

Done smelling my Game, Art Book, Strategy Guide, and Soundtrack. I will play as the Royalty Class. Everyone leave me alone for the next 10 hours, I’m gonna be playing Demon’s Souls.

+ Viper7 on October 6th, 2009 at 1:29 pm said:

importing the collectors edition that I pre-ordered like a month a go. Hopefully Ill get it next week, although it will probably take a week longer than that.

However the deliveries from US are rather fast even considering the fact that they need to bring the game all the way to Finland in my chase.

//Someone could tell me if a European date is scheduled ? or if the game will be release in Europe ?//

There’s no European publisher for Demon’s Souls announced atm, so I recommend importing your copy from NA like I did. Or wait bossibly for a really long time : |

+ mckg123456789 on October 6th, 2009 at 1:29 pm said:

Must get this game now!!!! :D

+ Gorvi on October 6th, 2009 at 1:29 pm said:

I think I’m going to go with the Thief class when I play tonight, I’ll be picking up the Limited Edition on my way home from work. :)

Thanks again, Atlus, you guys rock!

+ Trioptical on October 6th, 2009 at 1:29 pm said:

Helpful tips. Little sad that I won’t get that impact of seeing all of the beginning area bloodstains since I’ve read about it here, but oh well, I’m sure I’ll see a lot of other intimidating stuff.

I think I’ll go Hunter so I can use a long bow initially. Plus, if even getting hit in the shield damages you, long range seems the way to go.

+ ManaKnight on October 6th, 2009 at 1:29 pm said:

I’m actually a very upset person who is greatly considering never buying an ATLUS game again along with slowing down on GameStop preorders. I just saw that wonderful video of the Demon Soul’s Deluxe Edition over a week ago, so I preordered the game. I just went to GameStop to pick the game up today, and I heard they only got ONE copy in, despite having two preorders on it. They tried calling all GameStop locations in the area and none had it. I noticed GameStop’s site removed it. Either its ATLUS fault for not shipping enough damn copies and not telling GS they were limited, or GameStop continuing to take preorders when they shouldn’t.

Seriously, I badly wanted Demon Souls and this has put a very sour taste to my mouth that I’m starting to barely care about the game anymore.

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

+ Aram Jabbari on October 6th, 2009 at 2:16 pm said:

ManaKnight,

We\’re very sorry for all of the trouble you\’ve experienced; clearly, from how you describe it, you should be playing your Deluxe Edition of Demon\’s Souls right now.

Regretfully (and we really wish more was in our control), management of pre-orders and the fulfillment of pre-order bonuses is something we have zero control over. We provide enough (and with regards to pre-order items, surplus) units, and from that point onward we have no involvement on the process.

I strongly advise you to follow-up with the store in question regarding this issue, as I am certain there must be policies in place to protect you in this instance. It is very uncommon for money to be taken from a customer for a pre-order and for the goods to not be reserved/delivered.

As for the Deluxe Edition no longer being available at one or more retailers, or no longer being active for pre-order, that is something that many retailers do (i.e. disable the SKU) when the ordered quantity nears the total number of units of that product that they will bring into their system.

It is still possible for you to order to Deluxe Edition from some retailers, particularly online ones, and still receive the pre-order items (although it is not guaranteed, and alacrity is recommended).

We are sorry for your negative experience, and hope that there is a swift and positive resolution for you.

+ TheInfectedBy590 on October 6th, 2009 at 1:30 pm said:

Got mine this afternoon! :D But have to wait ’till I get out of class at 1am ;_;

+ gekko1986 on October 6th, 2009 at 1:31 pm said:

I’ve got ylod but after it’s fixed Ill be trying the roylaty class, can’t wait

+ phelixian on October 6th, 2009 at 1:31 pm said:

Looking forward to picking this up!! Looks like a blast…even if hard and frustrating.

PAGE 1 2 3 6