GTAV PS4

Amazon.com Now Offers Digital Codes for PlayStation Network Games and Game Content

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Oct 07, 2009 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

Today we announced that we are bringing PlayStation Network games and add-on game content for PS3 and PSP to the new Amazon.com video game store: www.amazon.com/playstationnetwork.

PSN Amazon Storefront

Now you have more options for where you purchase your PSN content whether it’s for yourself or a gift. At launch there will be 200 PlayStation games and game related content available, including titles such as Flower, PAIN, Pixel Junk Eden, Fat Princess, Super Stardust HD and classics such as Twisted Metal: Head-On, Loco Roco, SOCOM: Fireteam Bravo and WipEout Pure. Many more PlayStation Network game titles will become available on Amazon.com as well as the PlayStation Store over the coming months.

Digital access works on a code redemption system. If you purchase PlayStation Network content through Amazon.com, you will receive a code immediately after purchase or you can choose to email the code to yourself or send directly as a gift. Perfect timing for the Holidays! The code will reside in your Games & Software Library so you can retrieve it at anytime. Check it out and let us know what you think.

126 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3

+ mahunoy on October 7th, 2009 at 8:03 am said:

Cool!

+ B-RadGfromOV on October 7th, 2009 at 8:04 am said:

That’s awesome.

+ StewieG45 on October 7th, 2009 at 8:06 am said:

Cool idead!

+ OnesOwnGrief on October 7th, 2009 at 8:06 am said:

Does this mean that Amazon can do discounts on PSN at their own discretion cause current PSP titles are generally more expensive than the Used game/Amazon.com alternatives? If they can do sales this opens up a totally new avenue I would like to explore for digital distribution for my PS3 and PSPgo.

+ rbanke on October 7th, 2009 at 8:06 am said:

Seems a little useless to me. I suppose it helps with exposure of PSN branding though. If i’m going to buy someone a PSN game as a gift, its smarter for me to buy them a $10/20/50 PSN card than a specific download code. Other than that, why would anyone buy this outside of being a gift…you have the store on your ps3/psp allready.

+ Battlehead on October 7th, 2009 at 8:06 am said:

I like this idea!

+ Enforcer_X on October 7th, 2009 at 8:08 am said:

Will releases come out at the same time on Thursday on both stores?

I think it’s GREAT because it’s going to save some serious money on sales tax!

+ Enforcer_X on October 7th, 2009 at 8:09 am said:

@5 rbanke

To save money, either in the form of sales if not restricted and also in sales tax since Amazon doesn’t charge it in some areas.

+ GGCAN on October 7th, 2009 at 8:11 am said:

Great idea.

Not only PSN cards, but now these codes.

+ Heisem on October 7th, 2009 at 8:12 am said:

i’ve been waiting long time for this, thanks!

+ LiquidJ on October 7th, 2009 at 8:16 am said:

I like this a lot. I think this will also make the GO! a lot more enticing.

+ Kenshin71 on October 7th, 2009 at 8:16 am said:

What about offering larger games on PSN? Afrika is being released on disc and will most likely get lukewarm sales. You could probably double its sales by putting it on PSN (not sure on the file size though). Same with older games like Lost Planet or Assassins Creed which have sequels coming out (the publishers would like it too) or exclusive games like Naruto:UNS which could get a second wind on PSN. Really think this opportunity is being wasted.

Not to mention the GoW Collection, I mean that is crying out for a PSN release. You guys put a few full games on PSN like Warhawk and Burnout Paradise and then stopped. It makes little sense.

+ perrandy on October 7th, 2009 at 8:17 am said:

this is a great idea! more options to buy the best !

+ MeltTech on October 7th, 2009 at 8:17 am said:

Great idea

+ Blkant on October 7th, 2009 at 8:17 am said:

Very impressive idea. Glad to see you guys being clever again :)

+ Yoinazek on October 7th, 2009 at 8:17 am said:

Is Amazon accepting PayPal yet?

@ #5 Where you get your $10 PSN cards?

+ IceCold on October 7th, 2009 at 8:18 am said:

Great idea to calm the retailers down on how all digital media would take away from their sales.

+ VofEscaflowne on October 7th, 2009 at 8:19 am said:

Are these codes compatible with Canadian PSN accounts?

+ DLB on October 7th, 2009 at 8:20 am said:

Nice!

+ BlooodyCow on October 7th, 2009 at 8:21 am said:

This is really cool. I buy books from Amazons, and I usually get like $5 for music or games. I can used the $5 on a small game :)

+ Lemondish on October 7th, 2009 at 8:23 am said:

Lovin this idea, can’t wait to see something on it that I just can’t do without. Given Amazon’s penchant for bundles and consumer savings, I see only good things on the horizon. Just waitin on that Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction and Quest for Booty bundle to prepare for the new one :)

I’m guessing this works with the current code redeeming system already built into the Playstation Store?

Will this open up the ability to preorder PSN content?

+ Argnoth on October 7th, 2009 at 8:25 am said:

I hope you get more content on there that isn’t just Sony owned. Like Fallout 3 content, and other such gems? The Capcom offerings like Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix, or Marvel vs Capcom 2.

+ Mox007 on October 7th, 2009 at 8:31 am said:

Awesome. Now I know what I will spend my $20 Amazon card on(via Gamefly referal). :)

+ Coolwater on October 7th, 2009 at 8:31 am said:

Hey Eric!

Please tell Amazon that they should separate the full games from the add-on content. I can already see the mass of people complaining that they bought the wrong code, thinking it was a full game. Yes, i know that it says right on there that it’s Add-on/Full game, but you and I both know how stupid people can be.

Just a suggestion to prevent a forest fire.

+ hermes200 on October 7th, 2009 at 8:33 am said:

That is pretty cool. I have troubles having access to PSN cards, so an online alternative that supports my credit card information is most welcomed…

+ DZORMAGEN on October 7th, 2009 at 8:35 am said:

This is a good idea, I think it’s smart!!

+ OneShotOswald on October 7th, 2009 at 8:35 am said:

This is FU@”in great! Thank you some much I have been waiting for this for a long time;)

+ DANO69 on October 7th, 2009 at 8:36 am said:

@12 Kenshin71

I can only agree “MORE FULL PSN GAMES” PLEASE.

+ ghostpos on October 7th, 2009 at 8:37 am said:

Good, make this stuff EASY and Accessible, smart move Sony.

+ Zookey on October 7th, 2009 at 8:37 am said:

Cool cool keep up the synergy hehe

+ Lugoves on October 7th, 2009 at 8:40 am said:

The vast majority of my pre-ordering in fact the majority of my online shopping is thru Amazon. Being able to utilize them for PSN content is Awesome! I hope they get exclusive deals from time to time. But this is Awesome!
BTW Amazon is celebrating their WishList 10th Anniversary by having weekly gove aways – I put the Calender here http://www.lugoves.com/Page_Three.html but it’s as easy as creating, or adding a WishList to enter.

+ gus_xl on October 7th, 2009 at 8:40 am said:

This is actually a pretty good idea. Easy to make gifts out of PSN games now.

+ remanutd5 on October 7th, 2009 at 8:48 am said:

Great option Eric, hey Eric can you guys implement the same pause/resume option on the psp GO to the playstation 3 ??? it would be really great !!!!!

+ Sindred on October 7th, 2009 at 8:48 am said:

I wonder if Amazon will be able to offer competitive prices to PSN?

+ SPARDA on October 7th, 2009 at 8:53 am said:

Very smart move by SONY

+ Jhon_Key_USA on October 7th, 2009 at 8:57 am said:

Excellent Idea !!! …

+ Jeigh on October 7th, 2009 at 9:01 am said:

Incredibly intelligent move on the part of whoever thought this up. Give that guy/girl a cookie!

+ poweredbyzen on October 7th, 2009 at 9:02 am said:

question is, will items be discounted?! i usually go to amazon for the discount; hope this extends to playstation network goods! :D

+ KazeEternal on October 7th, 2009 at 9:02 am said:

Wow redundancy is awesome…..

+ station3fever on October 7th, 2009 at 9:03 am said:

5x’s only download? no thanks. rather buy disc.

+ gwar9999 on October 7th, 2009 at 9:06 am said:

Cool but it would be better if you can link your Amazon account with your PSN account such that if you purchased a title on Amazon for yourself, then the next time you logged into PSN the download would begin automatically (no need to enter a code).

That’s how TiVo works with Amazon Video on Demand.

+ nickjd331 on October 7th, 2009 at 9:06 am said:

This is great progress, I hope to see this in Europe too.

+ nickjd331 on October 7th, 2009 at 9:06 am said:

This is great progress, I hope to see this in Europe too.

+ Scodo_Thope on October 7th, 2009 at 9:07 am said:

Amazon Rocks! Cool hookup!

+ zombie9 on October 7th, 2009 at 9:10 am said:

Don’t really see the point. And Are U guys trying to kill Blueray? I can download PSP games now and can’t play them on PS3. Heck even gamecube could play Gameboy games. And what happend to PSN games going to blueray (PSN Greatest hits). I’ll buy that!!! :)

+ The_Apprentice on October 7th, 2009 at 9:12 am said:

Very Nice…
But can you guys please specify whether the codes will be compatible with other region accounts?
Will a purchase at Amazon.com be compatible with a Canadian Account, or European Account?

Thanks.

+ makingdamage on October 7th, 2009 at 9:13 am said:

What!?
Did I read that thing correctly, Sony is giving up their monopoly on PSN content? No, it can´t be. Why would Sony do this, competition means lower prices and thus lower profit for Sony. Or will Sony only let Amazon sell their PSN content at the same price as on the playstation store? If so, this “service” wouldn´t mean much to the costumers.

+ WackyWeedCreed on October 7th, 2009 at 9:18 am said:

Cool!

Hope they have a special for some cheap games!

+ PSN_Tokeio on October 7th, 2009 at 9:23 am said:

It’s a good start but there just isn’t enough content on there. All of the content is pretty stale… why is none of the new stuff there?

+ alza3em_94 on October 7th, 2009 at 9:25 am said:

@makingdamage
this was the best announcement i heard this month… i dont care what u guys think but me and alot of my friends have troubles with the PSN store and credit cards not working .. and sony just solved this to everyone.

PAGE 1 2 3