Driveclub

Critter Crunch Out Today on PSN! OM NOM NOM NOM!

Kris Piotrowski's Avatar + Posted by Kris Piotrowski on Oct 08, 2009 // Creative Director, Capy

CritterCrunch Logo

Hello friends!

This is it! Today is the day! Critter Crunch is out in North America! So this afternoon, turn on your PlayStation 3, log on to the PlayStation Store, and download it! It’s only $6.99!

Until then, check out our launch trailer entitled “A Barf In The Night”:

For those of you unfamiliar with Capy’s hand-animated 60 frames-per-second arcade-puzzle extravaganza, here’s a quick recap:

• Crazy Single Player Modes: Adventure, Puzzle, Challenge and Survival
  • Crazy Multiplayer Modes: Versus and Co-Op (offline and online via the Playstation Network)
  • Crazy Trophies!
  • Barf!
  • Critter Crunch New Screen

And just in case you missed the first batch of reviews, here are a couple of handy links to help you get up to speed with the word on the street:

Destructoid says:

“With Critter Crunch, Capybara has designed one of the most original and endearing titles the puzzle genre has seen in years…With solid gameplay mechanics and the iconic character designs of Biggs and company, it’s a game that belongs in any puzzle fan’s digital library.”

IGN says:

“It sets a new standard for graphics in the genre and is simply one of the best looking games on PSN. Luckily, it also has the gameplay to back up the looks. No puzzle fan should miss this. Even if you don’t consider yourself a fan of the genre, you’ll likely find Biggs’ charm hard to resist.”

And for those of you that just ADORE rainbow-colored spew, here’s another trailer just for kicks:

Yikes! That’s a whole lot of Critter Crunch up in this post. Go forth, Critter Crunch fans, and multiply.

See you online!

-Kris

+ hush404 on October 8th, 2009 at 12:51 pm said:

So… you eat stuff in a puzzle game to barf up rainbows? Thats awesom.e

+ nv_Los on October 8th, 2009 at 12:51 pm said:

i saw in your official website some Critter Sony characters, any chance will be seeing them in the game?

+ xaos on October 8th, 2009 at 12:53 pm said:

I’ll be grabbing this after work today; let me just say that it’s always nice to see developers who are enthusiastic and eager to interact with us lowly ps.blog proles :)

+ Trucidation on October 8th, 2009 at 12:53 pm said:

in ur gamez, crunch’n ur critterz

+ Vex_Doppel on October 8th, 2009 at 12:54 pm said:

FNA!
I’m going to love this game.
I already talked someone else into buying the game too.
I searched out all your interviews and love your “Own-PR” way of doing things.
I’d like to dedicate an LBP level to you guys but need your permission I think for using Biggs n Smalls.
MM is pretty cool, I bet you could get permission to make SackBiggs. Hot Shots Golf was able to use Sackboy. I’d love seeing Biggs in LBP too.

EXTREME KUDOS!!!!

+ Neil on October 8th, 2009 at 12:54 pm said:

This would make for a nice refreshing break from playing Demon’s Souls.

+ tetsou9shima on October 8th, 2009 at 12:55 pm said:

I wasn’t really interested in this until I saw the price point. Very reasonable…. well done. other PSN titles need to look to you as an example because now I’ll buy your product.

+ starBlinky01 on October 8th, 2009 at 12:57 pm said:

I had a dream about this last night. Dont remember exactly what happened in it, something about rainbow colored barf though

+ Cheddare on October 8th, 2009 at 1:04 pm said:

Kinda need the store updated :) Would make my purchasing of the game from said store alot easier.

Great work! Hope the store updates very very soon can’t wait to get my cappy on

+ Lord_Von_Punx on October 8th, 2009 at 1:08 pm said:

Can you turn off the H.U.D><?

+ Lord_Von_Punx on October 8th, 2009 at 1:09 pm said:

also will this have Remote Play???

+ Lord_Von_Punx on October 8th, 2009 at 1:11 pm said:

Also is there Remote Play?

Kris Piotrowski's Avatar

+ Nathan Vella on October 8th, 2009 at 1:22 pm said:

Sorry, no remote play for now. We\’ll consider patching it in if we get some solid interest.

+ Zuler on October 8th, 2009 at 1:11 pm said:

I saw your reply that you might be having a competition…will it be for the game? If so, how and when will you be doing it? If it isn’t too soon, you anyways easily deserve my money for this, but I want some Fallout DLC as well, and sadly don’t have the funds :( Don’t worry though, Crunching Critters is my top priority, and I will make sure I play this game by the weekend at least! :)

+ guitain on October 8th, 2009 at 1:14 pm said:

I once read a blog about what games have taught people. Example: “You grow bigger and all your blue-coloured garments change colour into white, when you eat Magic Mushrooms”.

This is what I will learn from Critter OM NOM NOM Crunch: “There is an extremely cute, adorable and pretty goddamn awesome animal existing somewhere in the world, which actually spews rainbows and burps violently”. And I would actually love to have one…

Kris Piotrowski's Avatar

+ Kris Piotrowski on October 8th, 2009 at 1:28 pm said:

We wanted to show a different side of Biggs: Yes he\’s cute and lovable and barfs rainbows, but if you ever meet one in the wild DO NOT LOOK HIM IN THE EYES!!!

+ DZORMAGEN on October 8th, 2009 at 1:20 pm said:

On http://crittercrunch.com/?p=328 this web-site you guys show some awesome skins for Biggs. Please, please, please add these to a future DLC ($1.99-$2.99 for all skins that you can). I will buy the game today for sure!! I knew it was going to be a big hit since day one, and the reviews just justified that!! Congrats on a great game to come on a great system the PS3!

+ Zezzler on October 8th, 2009 at 1:23 pm said:

Nice, i love this game on the ipod touch (and the fact that it is a canadian game!!!) it looks amazing i really would like to get it! If ign says its good, than it must be (amirite?)

just wondering though, if it supports custom ingame soundtrack (via XMB)?

any other Uber-Fantastic features that you would like to mension (if you havn’t already)?

Kris Piotrowski's Avatar

+ Kris Piotrowski on October 8th, 2009 at 1:29 pm said:

XMB support is coming hopefully in the first patch.

+ plaztiksyke on October 8th, 2009 at 1:23 pm said:

Is the native animation frames 60fps, or were they drawn @ 15 or 30 fps and interpolated?

I love the idea of getting new “skins” as DLC; will they also come with more/different audio assets as well?

Any plans for a Ghostbusters skin like in LBP? That is also a Sony property, after all :)

Buying this as soon as I get home,
keep up the good work!

Kris Piotrowski's Avatar

+ Nathan Vella on October 8th, 2009 at 1:33 pm said:

All the animation is done with 60fps \”playback\” in mind. It\’s smooth like butter.

+ PigChampion on October 8th, 2009 at 1:24 pm said:

Thank you for bringing this game to PSN!! Destructoid review convinced me almost immediately that it was an insta-buy. I also would love to see the skins come as DLC!!

+ Zuler on October 8th, 2009 at 1:26 pm said:

@64 They mentioned that it’ll be nigh-impossible because of copyright, unless Sony be nice to them and let them do it for free. Come on Sony, don’t you know GotY material when you see it? ;)

+ Mind_tricK on October 8th, 2009 at 1:27 pm said:

This is a day 1 buy based on the price point alone, never mind the adorable rainbow barfing artwork! I hope more developers realize the significance of a sub $10 pricing system (and I don’t mean $9.99) GO CAPY!

+ ROLO_ONFIRE on October 8th, 2009 at 1:28 pm said:

hmm good graphics, art, multiplayer offline and online, 7bucks… I just need to try the demo :) (I don’t buy digital games without trying them first)

+ DHILIFE on October 8th, 2009 at 1:37 pm said:

AH Man, this game would be perfect for “Remote Play”. Especially on my new PSPgo. Please, oh Please!!!

+ SpyDudeFX on October 8th, 2009 at 1:44 pm said:

Did you make the trophies super difficult? Not a fan of games with excessively time consuming trophies, i.e. play 5000 times online, win 400 matches on a rainy day or something really extreme lol

+ Keebzerz on October 8th, 2009 at 1:48 pm said:

Will wait for the demo. Looks fun though.

+ RyuuNoSekai on October 8th, 2009 at 1:49 pm said:

This is gonna be awesome! I’m still waiting for the PSN store to update so i can get it!

+ TheGuardianFID on October 8th, 2009 at 1:51 pm said:

Consider the game SOLD, It looks great guys, nicely done!!! :D

+ Gavin20059 on October 8th, 2009 at 1:52 pm said:

thought this game came out today i don’t even see it in the playstation store

Kris Piotrowski's Avatar

+ Kris Piotrowski on October 8th, 2009 at 2:05 pm said:

hey hey,
    I think the store updates sometimes in the late afternoon? It should be up soon.

+ ElektroDragon on October 8th, 2009 at 2:01 pm said:

I am thrilled to see such a fantastic looking new puzzle game coming out at such a realistic price! Well done guys! Will most likely purchase. It really inspires me to make my own games. Now, if only I could figure out how to write games for the PS3 as well, since there is no XNA equivalent!

+ JLager on October 8th, 2009 at 2:03 pm said:

I have been checking the store since 3am. It is now 5pm EST and I still don’t see it :(. am I the only one this is happening to?

+ SpyDudeFX on October 8th, 2009 at 2:04 pm said:

Thx Nathan, looks like a decent list. I look for a more casual, fun experience with PSN titles than some massive trophy hunt like some devs do. Kudos on not implementing something insane like win 50 online games.

+ EightBitMonster on October 8th, 2009 at 2:04 pm said:

WAH! Where is it?!

Kris Piotrowski's Avatar

+ Kris Piotrowski on October 8th, 2009 at 2:53 pm said:

I second this: WAH WHERE IS IT?!?!

Everyone at Capy is logging into the playstation store every 2 seconds:)

+ SpyDudeFX on October 8th, 2009 at 2:05 pm said:

Oh yeah, very nice trophy artwork. Well done, I’m buying this tonight!

+ StrykerIsland on October 8th, 2009 at 2:07 pm said:

My friends and I are wondering if there’s any way to win one of those awesome t-shirts on your website? We’re in Canada btw.

+ mkdj011 on October 8th, 2009 at 2:17 pm said:

sweeeeet! thx for listening to fans about XMB and the price. If I speent money on trash panic I’ll for sure buy this.

+ BloodiedWraith on October 8th, 2009 at 2:18 pm said:

I used to have this on my iPhone, but I hated the iPhone and got rid of it. Definitely helped get rid of boredom throughout the day.

Question though, seeing as I just got a PSPgo and I noticed a lot of PSN titles getting PSP ports (Super Stardust, Everyday Shooter, Pixel Junk Monsters, etc) are we going to eventually see a port of this to it as well? I would love to get that for on the go enjoyment.

+ fleatherhe on October 8th, 2009 at 2:18 pm said:

I hope you patch it through remote play because I will sadly have to go to school without my beloved Critter Crunch. Maybe a psp release is in order???? (PLEASE!!!!)

+ onlineatron on October 8th, 2009 at 2:26 pm said:

I NEED THIS GAME

Please announce a UK date soon!

+ Blkant on October 8th, 2009 at 2:27 pm said:

Its amazing how something that cute could look that evil in the video O_o

+ CRONIC_GAMER on October 8th, 2009 at 2:30 pm said:

Kris blazes i’m laughing but on the inside I’m jelouse

+ milkosaurus on October 8th, 2009 at 2:35 pm said:

totally unrelated but…

any word on point lookout release today??!

+ MattyPHATty on October 8th, 2009 at 2:36 pm said:

Sold!!!!

+ grendizerQ8 on October 8th, 2009 at 2:45 pm said:

OMG so SOLD!!!!!!!!!!

+ xeno3d on October 8th, 2009 at 2:47 pm said:

I have to have this just because it’s completely animated in 2D. Being a character animation student. this stuff is awesome.

+ Breakpoint25 on October 8th, 2009 at 2:49 pm said:

This game will be really fun, can’t wait to try it out. I saw the Editors Choice on IGN, thanks for letting us give a free copy away on http://www.PS3Trophies.com

+ Shin-Ra on October 8th, 2009 at 2:50 pm said:

I’ll buy as soon as it hits Euro PSN and I’ve beaten Uncharted 2. ;)

+ jiggyteddy on October 8th, 2009 at 2:52 pm said:

Definitely a great looking set of trophies. Some of the best designs I’ve seen in a while.

Looking forward to this awesome game!

+ Trieloth on October 8th, 2009 at 2:54 pm said:

Its good to see companys still making games using 2D hand drawn art. Keep’em coming, you have my support!

+ SOOPERGOOMAN187 on October 8th, 2009 at 3:01 pm said:

WHY IS MY ACCOUNT BANNED?

+ ElTomas on October 8th, 2009 at 3:02 pm said:

What’s the hold-up on this update?

+ daniel1908 on October 8th, 2009 at 3:03 pm said:

Great Work to the developers…but I will not be getting this game…sorry…just not my type of game…