Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Oct 08

Oct 08

TGS 2009: Quantum Theory Update

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar Posted by Sr. Social Media Manager

Last time we saw Quantum Theory was at E3 2009, and the game was so early as to not even be playable. Now with this gothic 3rd person shooter at about the 50% point in development, Tecmo allowed us to go hands on before granting us an interview with Director Makoto Shibata. The playthrough helped us come up with a number of questions about the game, as did you readers. Here are the answers, as translated by Localization Producer Peter Garza:

I apologize for the fact that I’m practically yelling at Shibata-san; this dude over at the neighboring Alienware booth was incredibly, obnoxiously loud. If you were there, you know who I’m talking about.

Anyways, with a good deal more development to go, we’ll keep tabs on this game for you, and report back at the next milestone.

Add Your Own

dotCody said:

October 8th, 9:07 am

Yay for Alienware! :P

Jeigh said:

October 8th, 9:07 am

I don’t quite have the time to watch the video at the moment, but I want to take the opportunity to thank Tecmo for bringing this our way. I’m very pleased to hear that it’s only 50% complete (as strange as that may sound) because that means when this game is done, it’s going to be even better than the amazing stuff I’ve already seen. Keep up the great work guys! =)

DaPinz said:

October 8th, 9:08 am

I hope this game is very good

LRGKING said:

October 8th, 9:08 am

Seems like a heavy type of game(and by that I mean GearsofWar style).
I like it!!!

Kenshin71 said:

October 8th, 9:15 am

Hope they work on the AI because it looked dumb as rocks from the TGS gameplay I saw. Do you give them constructive criticism Jeff or just act as the messenger between dev and public?

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

Jeff Rubenstein said:

October 8th, 11:24 am

The latter. If you\’ve got feedback, let me send it back to them.

lowhonor said:

October 8th, 9:19 am

this game looks and sounds pretty bad from what we’ve seen so far

lcmnick said:

October 8th, 9:20 am

The freeze frame of this video is hilarious.

You’re stood there looking so serious Jeff :P

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

Jeff Rubenstein said:

October 8th, 11:24 am

Freeze frame does nobody any favors.

mikemill said:

October 8th, 9:20 am

This game has a lot of potential. Love the concept of the environment changing and morphing around you as you are in battle, and the concept of using the girl as a partner for attack moves is really cool.

A lot of people scoffed at first at the similarity in art style to Gears of War but I think this game is showing enough of it’s own individuality at this point for sure.

jwspiker said:

October 8th, 9:22 am

heard this wasn’t really great at TGS, hopefully it’ll get better as it progresses through dev

Jon_Mclane said:

October 8th, 9:28 am

I thought this games name was changed to just quantum, did they put the theory back in or did I just imagine they took it out?

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

Jeff Rubenstein said:

October 8th, 11:25 am

The \”Theory\” is in. I think it had different names in Europe and the US, but it\’s consistent now.

KingKong80 said:

October 8th, 9:29 am

Checked out the TGS footage of this game and it is not looking to good. I wish they would of been more original.

SPARDA said:

October 8th, 9:34 am

This is another game that I am looking forward to. Still a good amount of development left to go, so I hope the Tecmo team will give us a nice polished finished product.

Thanks for posting the interview

SPARDA

Destiny89 said:

October 8th, 9:37 am

looks great

onlineatron said:

October 8th, 9:44 am

If Playstation owners really wanted Gears of War they would buy 360s.

Why does Tecmo see the need to make a clone? We have plenty of original and unique titles without that macho [DELETED]!

Shin-Ra said:

October 8th, 9:48 am

I hope the final six months or so of development go well for them. The last unique Japanese take on a Western genre I really loved was Breakdown by Namco.

Edd said:

October 8th, 10:03 am

Hm i’m still not sure about this, i don’t want a clone of another game. I’m hoping this turns out to be more original than it seems to be.

ROLO_ONFIRE said:

October 8th, 10:04 am

No split-screen or co-op? ok, so this game’s out of my list now

mywhitenoise said:

October 8th, 10:14 am

This game kind of looks like garbage. Thankfully we’re getting a fair amount of great games next year.

TheInfectedBy590 said:

October 8th, 10:18 am

It’d be pretty awesome if they did add co-op, but I’m still looking forward to the final version of this game, might be interesting! :)

chriscowboyd said:

October 8th, 10:50 am

I certainly hope this game can be delayed long enough to add human shields, portable shields that can be planted into and removed from the ground, obliteration/finishing melee moves, single hand weapons that can be used with a human shield, active reloading, rideable machines or creatures with weapons on them, online co-op through the story or through an alternate story, and enemies that can be destroyed piece by piece such that the player can see parts of their opponent fall to the ground instead of all at once.

chriscowboyd said:

October 8th, 10:50 am

AND BLOOD AS WELL!!!

PSN_Tokeio said:

October 8th, 10:52 am

Today had better be a stellar day for the store update considering you are now completely married to digital downloads with the PSPgo.

I expect nothing less than new games (yes, multiple games) every single week from here on out.

Roger roger?

KazeEternal said:

October 8th, 11:06 am

Game play sounds interesting enough for me to keep an eye on this title.

I’m happy this games engine is built from the ground up for this game. To much cross pollination of cross platform game engines in the industry today.

Lambrick said:

October 8th, 11:16 am

it’s good to know it’s only about half done. that means there’s plenty of room for improvements, because it’s looking pretty subpar right now.

Chaotic__Clown said:

October 8th, 11:38 am

no co-op? this game is perfect for co-op mode. the better release a demo before they release the game.

BigBoss712 said:

October 8th, 11:49 am

That game has a long way to go, hope they make good use of the remaining development time.

Zezzler said:

October 8th, 12:42 pm

No Local multiplayer/co-op means no buy for me. it really does look amazing, just it is more something you want to share with a friend (and i see varous characters that could be your coop buddy too (the girl, other big looking guys))… just saying.

FearMonkey said:

October 8th, 12:46 pm

Thanks, Jeff. Looking forward to seeing more of this game in the future.

By the way, was the loud guy at the Alienware booth a drunken Greg Miller? :p

Massive Complainer said:

October 8th, 1:23 pm

Japanese developers should stick to making Japanese games, and not imitating the west with mediocre titles.

TheGuardianFID said:

October 8th, 1:28 pm

I’m looking forward to this one, I really like the gothic art style of it!!! :D

Ghettocarpenter said:

October 8th, 1:36 pm

This game does not look good.

RuthlessEd said:

October 8th, 1:59 pm

A generic-looking FPS with no co-op or local multiplayer.

This will fly off the shelves…

…straight into the bargain bin.

silencekit said:

October 8th, 2:22 pm

@RuthlessEd:

It’s a third person shooter, from what I could see in the video. It does look a lot like Gears of War, though. Could be fun. Who knows?

mckg123456789 said:

October 8th, 2:30 pm

2010! Thats too long! I want to play this game Now!!

Heavenly_king said:

October 8th, 2:33 pm

This game looks with a lot of potencial

loakum said:

October 8th, 2:59 pm

The fact that Tecmo’s Quantum Theory pisses off many Xbox 360 owners, makes me love the game already! TREY 4 LIFE!

mikedo2007 said:

October 8th, 3:26 pm

I’m liking this game a lot. I guess some of our Xbox 360 owners weren’t aware that Gears of War took it’s influence from Resident Evil 4 and Namco’s Killswitch. Cliffy B said that in the interview.

Also, I like to point out Epic Game has expressed interest of bringing Gears of War to the PS3. I would like to see both GOW and Quantum Theory do a excellent job on the PS3.

JOKER10487 said:

October 8th, 4:06 pm

Dude, i don’t know what the f is going on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PullusPardusUS said:

October 8th, 4:06 pm

This really needs some kind of coop gameplay much like uncharted.
or offline 2 player like RE5 (it would be a blast)
i don’t think much people would care about only Death Match Jeff =[

Unknown_Hero said:

October 8th, 5:18 pm

Um yeah, I’m going to play Gears 2 now, that looks terrible.

Kchow23 said:

October 8th, 5:18 pm

No CO-OP? shame…

Erniejpan said:

October 8th, 7:28 pm

@40

Maybe the story mode because online is really laggy. Suprise they haven’t fix the Lag issues after almost a year of release… have fun.

bbonds_007 said:

October 8th, 7:48 pm

A horrible Gears rip off… oh joy!

Fluidshine said:

October 8th, 8:56 pm

haha u added “Sun” into my name!! oh well great interview and thanks for asking my question!!

L2-C2 said:

October 8th, 10:38 pm

Thats one hard selling point if u are making a clone of a game because the graphics and gameplay have to be atleast on par. Saints Row and Dante’s Inferno looks good and they are GTA and GOW clones. I fear of Quantum being another Haze. It doesn’t look nearly as good as GoW and the gameplay seems gimmicky. I’m staying reserved until its atleast 90% done and I see what they are working with.

hellhunter75 said:

October 9th, 6:21 am

I JUST WANT TO SAY THANKS TO Shibata-san FOR BRINGING THIS TO THE PS3 IT MEANS A LOT TO US ESPECIALLY TO THE HARDCORE GAMERS. AND I TRULEY BELIVE THAT THIS GAME IS GONNA BE A SUCCESS WITH THE PS3 HE SAID THE GAME WAS ONLY 50% COMPLETE WHICH MEANS THEY ARE PUTTING ALL THEIR TIME AND EFFORTS INTO THIS GAME KUDOS TO Shibata-san FOR GIVING THIS OPERTUNITY TO PS3 TO PLAY A MASTER PICE WHICH I AM SURE IT WILL BE AND I AM 100% GONNA BY THIS GAME AND THATS THAT. THANKS AGIN FOR THIS OPERTUNITY Shibata-san AND TO JEFF RUBENSTINE FOR KEEPING US UPDATED IT MEANS ALOT TO ARE COMMUNITY.

Survivor37 said:

October 9th, 10:30 am

constructive criticism:
They should change the color of the weapons, make it more vivid, like adding neon light with different color along with the weapon design. You want the weapons look unique, not looks like it is part of the character body. I don’t see the guns, I only see they are holding something that they just picked up from the environment.

RobRoks said:

October 9th, 12:56 pm

looks wicked thanks Jeff :D But why are games generally (vast majority of the time) released later in Europe / UK :(