Days Gone

Oct 15

Oct 15

NEW 250GB PlayStation 3 System Available November 3

Knguyen's Avatar Posted by Marketing Manager, PlayStation 3

Hi everyone! Since we launched the slimmer, lighter 120GB PS3 system, we’ve sold one million units worldwide within the first three weeks. We know that all of you are really making use of the PS3’s hard drive, as more than 600 million pieces of content have been downloaded from PlayStation Network. But if you are the ultimate digital consumer craving a bigger hard drive, we have the perfect solution for you.

Today, we announced the availability of a new PS3 system with a 250GB hard drive hitting store shelves on November 3. The PS3 250GB system has the same slim look, feel and features as the 120GB system, but with a 250GB built-in hard drive for $349.99. With the new, larger capacity, you’ll have even more room to store your favorite games, movies/TV shows, music, photos and PlayStation Network downloads.

250GB PS3

We’ve been saying it for a while now—this year we’ll see the best software lineup to date. What better way to enjoy your PS3 than by playing some of this season’s exclusive PS3 titles such as UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves, Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time, and PlayStation Network downloads like PixelJunk Shooter, Gravity Crash, and Hustle Kings. In addition to the huge software lineup available this holiday, there are 2,300 movies available to download from the PlayStation Network’s video delivery service, with a third of those movies available in full high-definition.

As always, we look forward to hearing your feedback and enjoy!

Add Your Own

smokey_vols said:

October 15th, 1:52 pm

The 100th comment gets a free one, right? :)

KILLA_KING_007 said:

October 15th, 1:54 pm

video store for apo fpo we love convenience.

The_Wacker said:

October 15th, 1:59 pm

Sorry if this has been asked but, is there a demo disc with the system now?

HatmanTc said:

October 15th, 2:00 pm

@paulmicheal isn’t the MW2 bundle $399. Making it the highest priced console on the market

IceCold said:

October 15th, 2:01 pm

I smell uncharted bundle, GT5 bundle, and GoW3 bundling brewing. now only if the pspgo can drop in price before holiday season. They need to do that to boost sells, i know they know the price point is way to high, and will miss the holiday season if they keep it at that price.

HatmanTc said:

October 15th, 2:03 pm

I dint get why people who already own the console complain about it’s prce point. You are not their target audience of you already have ps3 and are not in the market to buy another one.

ElektroDragon said:

October 15th, 2:03 pm

Great news, though my PS3 already has 360GB. :-) If nothing else, it will force Microsoft to finally increase the size of the 120GB hard drives, which are quickly becoming way too small!

TheRealNobri said:

October 15th, 2:04 pm

Great deal. By adding 130GB for just $50 more, I’m sure all of the Xbox people will start crying. But there’s a problem with my PSP’s internet. When I try to connect to my network, which uses PSK-TKIP, it says that there was a connection error and that I need to check to security setting, but I know I got my password correct. Is this same problem on the PS3?

jBat17 said:

October 15th, 2:06 pm

any news on GoW Collection?

this would have been sweeter if you bundled a game with it. not sure which one, though

Berae said:

October 15th, 2:08 pm

Will the video store be available soon in Canada?

MegaClank said:

October 15th, 2:11 pm

Holy crap, at only $50 more dollars, this is a beastly deal!

Jeff257 said:

October 15th, 2:19 pm

Looks like ill be buying this instead of the 120 one in Dec. My 60gb BC PS3 that I upgraded the hdd in to 250 went down in June. Since its out of warranty id rather replace it with a slim. The other good partt of this is eventhough i own a 2nd PS3 that my wife used it stopped playing Blu ray’s this past sat. So I can just put in that 250 hdd i bought for the slim in that and have 2 250gb PS3’s.

Jeff257 said:

October 15th, 2:20 pm

I forgot to mention Im getting the 80 repaired since it is still under warranty.

Blkant said:

October 15th, 2:20 pm

Dear god… Massive…

maver1ck89 said:

October 15th, 2:25 pm

WELL I AM REALLY GLAD I JUST BOUGHT THAT PS3 SLIM TWO DAYS AGO FOR UNCHARTED 2 BECAUSE I’M TOTALLY ALLOWED TO RETURN IT TO THE STORE I GOT IT FROM AND GET AN EXTRA HUNDRED AND FIFTY GIGS FOR FIFTY BUCKS WHEN THIS NEW PS3 SLIM COMES OUT

NOT

Screw this. Seriously. This is really messed up you guys.

jqtaxpayer said:

October 15th, 2:30 pm

Enough already.

PS3: It only does a million SKUs.

TheTHCGamer said:

October 15th, 2:37 pm

PS3 fan here and i have to say this was a terrible decision. even though im sony console fan i wont agree with all the decisions they make. first off why make anoher PS3 console since its just going to further confuse consumers as to which PS3 to own. second i think it wouldve been better to package a triple a title like uncharted 2 with the current 120GB slim console. lastly who even uses 120GB much less 250GB unless there making it a point to use up all that memory. packaging uncharted 2 wouldve been great imo because PS3 sales were pretty good when they packaged MGS4.

TheTHCGamer said:

October 15th, 2:39 pm

the damn PS3 slim just came out how are you going to come out with another version already. go ahead sony shoot yourselves in the foot.

TheTHCGamer said:

October 15th, 2:40 pm

go ahead sony just keep shooting yourselves in the foot.

TwinDad said:

October 15th, 2:44 pm

I can see average joe seeing this as a deal, but it isn’t for $50 I can get a 320GB drive and do it myself. If it had a game and was still at $350, it’s an incredible deal. If you add a game and make it $399.99, still a horrible deal.

Only way this deal makes sense is for the non-DYI person, who has a choice when making a purchase. To quote indiana Jones ” you have chosen, poorly”.

TwinDad said:

October 15th, 2:48 pm

For those wondering. It seems that so far for the life of the PS3, they have had two SKUs going into the Holiday season. So this fits a pattern.

I don’t know why they can take the money spent on the second model and do marketing with it for the 120GB unit, but what do I know about marketing.

Ryuhza said:

October 15th, 2:49 pm

@32

Umm you can just upgrade the Hard drive. Jeebis.

LokeSTL said:

October 15th, 2:51 pm

No BC, no buy!! LOL!

Got the launch 60gb and 20gb, so I’m covered. Just put a 320gb in the 60, then transfered the 60gb HDD to the 20. Both work like a charm.

Is there a way to transfer the PS2 chipset to a Slim? Really doubt it, but it’d be awesome if it did. Wish you guys would make at least one run of an Elite PS3 Slim. :-(

Gr00v3r06 said:

October 15th, 2:54 pm

Glad this is only a $50 price bump not a $100. No matter if you stuck a game in there and a 2nd controller the sticker shock is what people would focus on. If you where to throw in a free game you should consider doing it to both SKUs. It wouldn’t be a bad idea to use download game voucher codes. This is more of a up-sale. Get them in the store at $299 and sell them on the $350.

Pelt_Hunter said:

October 15th, 2:59 pm

That’s an amazing price. MS would’ve charged hand over fist for that big of a capacity jump. At least a $100 more.

Ninja300 said:

October 15th, 3:08 pm

soooo $50 for 130 extra gigs?… i hope they add a game for a bundle

Caires said:

October 15th, 3:14 pm

Hey, has anyone tried Uncharted 2 with “no gravity”? And if someone has tried it; how was it?

MrOrphanmaker said:

October 15th, 3:20 pm

Bring it to Brazil!!!

IceCold said:

October 15th, 3:24 pm

Wow after reading only a handful of the comments here about Sony’s decision, there is no doubt in my mind that 99.8% of you will ever own/run a business. It’s a shame to see such one-tracked minded people. Educate and better yourself, please.

herve21597 said:

October 15th, 3:26 pm

Yea,its gud,sony is keeping up high competition this year.

LokeSTL said:

October 15th, 3:34 pm

Sooooo……late store update today??? Hoping for FFVIII as a PSone Classic. Yeah, I know….keep dreaming right?

Kchow23 said:

October 15th, 3:36 pm

Awesome, now make some bundles!

Nirone226 said:

October 15th, 3:42 pm

first of all great job to sony for finally getting there act together and showing true dominance.i dont need one since i upgraded my 80 gig backwards compatible ps3 to 320 gig awhile ago.thanks again for all you guys at sony do for us.
@kim nguyen
is there any more greatest hits titles coming out for the ps3 anytime soon.like heavenly sword maybe : )

KILLZONE79 said:

October 15th, 3:45 pm

omg sony your charging $350 for a new PS3 configuration, wow thats awful no one has that kind of money.

hmmm this almost reminds when PS3 first launched back in 06 when no one can afford a PS3.

but then again maybe theres rich people now that can afford a upgrade of $350

chicanoboi12 said:

October 15th, 3:57 pm

SONY U GUYS ARE AWESOMEEE!!!!

Malador said:

October 15th, 4:03 pm

Nice 1. That’s the deal I’ve been waiting for to add a second PS3 player to my home. I just purchased a new t.v. for my bedroom, and having a blu-ray playing, media server connected machine will be a most welcome addition to it.

MrBeatdown said:

October 15th, 4:04 pm

@115 maver1ck89
Rather than cry about it, why don’t you look into buying a bigger hard drive. It took me a whole 10 seconds to go to Amazon.com and type in “2.5 hard drive”. The first result was for a 320GB HDD for $60. So you were able to play Uncharted early, you can get an extra 70GB on top of the 250GB HDD Sony is offering, you’ll have a spare HDD and you only need to pay an extra $10. So why exactly are you complaining?

Carl-G said:

October 15th, 4:14 pm

You should of done a $249 PS3 Sony. Say a 60GB one. It just looks like the price is going up to people who don’t really know everything about game consoles when they walk into a shop(i.e this 1 has a 250GB hard drive)

NEJI64 said:

October 15th, 4:34 pm

i have to agree with most why not add either Uncharted 2, Killzone 2 or inFAMOUS with that 250gb PS3. then that bundle would show the difference between the two PS3’s and give a reason to spend $350. instead of oh it comes with more space most people going look and say 120gb is enough space for now. if and when i need more space i’ll cross that Bridge later on.

Rainy_Day17 said:

October 15th, 4:45 pm

I wish this had been announced earlier because I probably would’ve waited to get it, but I guess I can always upgrade the hard drive myself if I really need to!

jaime_ale said:

October 15th, 4:59 pm

WTF You know am a 13 year old kit whos father gave him 1000$ to spend so 4 days ago i bought a ps3 slim 120gb and now u just released a 250gb one, you gotta be kidding me. Worst of all I only have 250$ left and if i sell my ps3 slim 120gb ill get like 25$ for it so guess what am screwed!!!

Robert-Ninja said:

October 15th, 5:26 pm

Yeh well, I have a 250GB hard drive I’m about to install soon to my backwards compatible PS3 so meh.

WestCoastR3DUBZ said:

October 15th, 5:29 pm

Wow they didnt overprice it its about time sony FTW

jboog1 said:

October 15th, 5:38 pm

this is why you dont be such a feen,just wait sometimes.

it comes out 20 days before my bday so thats one thing im getting.

amalgamut00 said:

October 15th, 6:04 pm

It is a good idea but I know from working in retail that non-gamers are going to get mad. I think Sony should just sell hard-drives and not making new system bundles.

Either way I am still a Sony fan, until I see this weeks update…

amigaice2 said:

October 15th, 6:06 pm

does it cost THAT much to add USB?

ivanramon said:

October 15th, 6:17 pm

I seriously recomend making a bundle with Uncharted 2…400 dollars, 250 gigs with uncharted 2! I would buy it. I already own a PS3 and Uncharted 2 but I would get it for my brother…

Vicious_Dave said:

October 15th, 6:25 pm

I might have to buy this, as my launch PS3 console is showing signs of old age, the disc drive is getting really noisy with this humming sound, and audio is glitchy sometimes. I was looking at the 120GB Slim, and now 250GB November 3rd, wow!

focaldragonfly23 said:

October 15th, 6:31 pm

cheaper than the xbox 360 250 gb version

piro_z said:

October 15th, 6:52 pm

awesome nov. 3 is my B-day I hope my parents get me this instead of a 120g model =p