PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Coming to PSN this Week: Trine

Olivier Vermeille's Avatar + Posted by Olivier Vermeille on Oct 19, 2009 // Product Manager, Nobilis

Hi everyone,

I’m Olivier, I work for Nobilis as the Product Manager of Trine, and I’m really happy to be able to tell you that it’s coming to the US PlayStation Store this Thursday, October 22!

Trine screenshot 1

This long-expected innovative action / platform game that combines 2D gameplay with 3D graphics is almost here! Acclaimed by players throughout the world and designated as “Best E3 Downloadable Game” by Gamespot, Trine will be available for download Thursday on the PlayStation Network.

Three heroes are bound to a mysterious device called the Trine in a quest to save the kingdom from evil and the player can at any time freely choose whoever is best suited for the upcoming challenge or puzzle.

Trine screenshot 2

Trine is balanced between action and puzzle solving sequences, which are just fantastic to play. Thanks to an extensive use of physics, you’ll be able to solve puzzles in many different ways, whether you play alone by switching characters or alongside with a friend (up to 3 players simultaneously on the same system). Just take a peek at this trailer and you’ll get a sense of what I’m talking about!

For those of you who are always on the hunt for Trophies, rest assured! I’m thrilled to announce that Trine has full support for trophies and also features a Platinum Trophy as the ultimate reward!

I realize that many of you have been waiting to get your hands on Trine for some time. I’d like to assure you all that we are deeply sorry about this delay. We worked really hard in order to give you the best experience possible playing Trine and we really hope you’ll enjoy it.

One more thing. Don’t forget to get all the experience vials that you can pickup throughout the levels! With them you’ll be able to improve the abilities of your characters and become an even bigger threat to your enemies!

Trine is available for download this Thursday on the PlayStation Store for $19.99.

+ NEJI64 on October 19th, 2009 at 2:51 pm said:

now $20 is nothing to me but i’m not dishing out 20 bucks for an incomplete game. PS3 no online Co-op but there planning to add online Co-op to 360′s version.

+ doubleg2011 on October 19th, 2009 at 2:52 pm said:

the graphics on the game look good….. also the game looks to be pretty good also

+ TwinDad on October 19th, 2009 at 2:53 pm said:

@87 – SpyDudeFX

I have news for you I played WipeOut many many years ago on the PC. The PSN IS a HD remix of an old PC game.

And Pricing is a valid complaint. I do want to encourage developers to bring incredible games to PSN. I give you as an example Pixel Junk, Critter Crunch, Savage Moon, Crash Commmando. All done for a reasonable price. I think Trine looks like an excellent product, but it’s fighting a holiday season with big titles, and I wish them well.

Sorry but OMG Platinum, *FAP* doesn’t work in the PSN marketplace. Look at the top sales from Pulse.

+ mixedkidbx on October 19th, 2009 at 2:55 pm said:

I can not understand why all those that are buying this game would even think of supporting them.

This game was supposed to come out in JULY! Its now past the middle of OCT. No reason giving why it took so long for NA to get the game when EU got it a month ago, and not to mention the fact that Playstation itself got it months after xbox did.

No reason why the delay for NA. Nothing new added because of the delay. Nothing fixed because of the delay. So what was the reason for the delay.

All those who are buying this game are just telling developers out there that they can delay a game on Playstation for months, while it’s released on xbox, and you guys will still buy it with nothing new or improved and for the same price when it came out months ago.

No wonder companies never learn cuz consumers don’t know how to say no anymore.

+ Hestar69 on October 19th, 2009 at 2:57 pm said:

So a month of waiting for it to come stateside and no online co-op,really??.Very dissapointed is all I Can say.

+ Hestar69 on October 19th, 2009 at 2:59 pm said:

@mixedkidsbx ummm,this game isn’t out on xbox.

+ YeWest_is_da_man on October 19th, 2009 at 3:00 pm said:

Lol- I agree with everyone here. The game does look great, the gameplay seems very fun and unique. But I’ve just gotten Critter Crunch, Demon’s Souls, looking at maybe Mushroom Wars, still have to get Uncharted 2 (yes, I know… I’m late buying it >:/) and DJ Hero…

However, it might be worth the price if you actually get the Plat. Trophy for buying this game at $20 — Platinum Trophy Unlocked: “Spent too much on this game.” lolol

+ cleversignin on October 19th, 2009 at 3:04 pm said:

I will buy this on day one and cross my fingers that online multiplayer patch comes out.
Excuse me while I go laugh at commenters who think $20 is a lot of money.

+ SpyDudeFX on October 19th, 2009 at 3:05 pm said:

@103

Yeah it is, but a great one. Some of the other remakes are merely HD renders with little in the offering of compelling new content. I guess I should’ve made that more clear lol

Oh price is a valid complaint, but the most reasonable one seems to be $14.99. $9.99 is probably too cheap, and I think it’s a stretch to compare those games to Trine. Other factors we don’t know are costs, and what they need for ROI and expected sales thresholds. A better comparison would probably be R&C which was $14.99 for the last year.

Agree on bad timing, but this is Sony’s fault for delaying it. It cleared QA and Trine was simply waiting on Sony to approve a slot and it’s probably not the best slot but what can they do? People here act like they intentionally decided to launch right now.

The Platinum is simply something unique to PSN and just confirms the depth of the game. Some gamers prefer this, others don’t. It doesn’t hurt, that’s for sure.

+ mixedkidbx on October 19th, 2009 at 3:05 pm said:

I could have sworn it was on xbox. Either way. The game was to be out in July and here we are past the middle of OCT.

You wanna reward a company for almost 3 months of a delay with no reason why. Heck even no explanation of why it took a over a month for NA to get it after EU did.

+ lobotomies4free on October 19th, 2009 at 3:06 pm said:

FINALLY! WOOHOO

+ Shalatii on October 19th, 2009 at 3:09 pm said:

@104 That’s a bunch of fanboy nonsense with a heavy emphasis on nonsense. Why? Because like another poster said, this game isn’t even on xbox, it’s on pc. How you feeling now…

+ mixedkidbx on October 19th, 2009 at 3:15 pm said:

@112

it has nothing to do with “fanboyism”. Like i said i thought it was on xbox along with the PC. my mistake on that and i apologize for that.

But i still stand on everything else i said. There is NO reason, NO reason at all why we shouldn’t have had this game the same time EU got it, along with the fact that it was supposed to be in July.

+ Sygoomei on October 19th, 2009 at 3:18 pm said:

@112

Apparently this IS coming later this year to the xbox. However, I can’t find info to support that they’re adding online support.

A quick google search will confirm this for you. Atlus has the rights to the xbox version.

+ LilBig47 on October 19th, 2009 at 3:34 pm said:

I was toatally looking forward to this game for so long! I can’t wait!!!

+ WestSiide on October 19th, 2009 at 3:38 pm said:

Maybe one day when I have absolutely nothing else to play and hopefully by then its 9.99 or something. Till then, uncharted, MW2, hopefully ff13 and gran tirismo early next year. You guys messed up pretty bad!

+ katsuo7171 on October 19th, 2009 at 3:41 pm said:

Tsk tsk guys. I had originally intended on buying this game if it came out during the gaming drought. But now, I have Uncharted 2, Ninja Gaiden Signa 2, and FIFA 10. By the time I’m done with those games Assassin’s creed 2 will be out and I just can’t fit you guys into my schedule at the moment. Sorry.

+ LordChocoSlime on October 19th, 2009 at 3:43 pm said:

This game looks pretty cool. Is there a PSP version in the works?

+ poweredbyzen on October 19th, 2009 at 3:48 pm said:

uh, it looks hard – :\
i’m so not coordinated.

+ AniZeke on October 19th, 2009 at 3:58 pm said:

put in an online option and I’ll buy this without question.

+ Firelli00 on October 19th, 2009 at 4:36 pm said:

$20 is too steep for me right now, especially with Uncharted 2 and other games out right now.

+ zombie9 on October 19th, 2009 at 4:53 pm said:

Game looks good I will pick up as soon as I can. PSN if FREE I would rather wait on it to come out on PS3 becouse I just saved $50 (gold membership)that I did not have to buy on top of the game price..

+ KILLA_KING_007 on October 19th, 2009 at 5:14 pm said:

this game looks enchanting and theres a great chance i will buy this if i like the demo

+ KILLZONE79 on October 19th, 2009 at 5:19 pm said:

how about a trine demo?

+ lyfestory on October 19th, 2009 at 5:25 pm said:

looks awesome.. love the music… just wish i could afford to pick up right away… just gonna have to wait…

now if only Konami would put a few people at work on something like this called Castlevania… it would be amazing…

+ swissmr on October 19th, 2009 at 5:26 pm said:

dang price kills it for me…i mean if there is 10+ hours of gameplay maybe? but i think thats not the case.

+ lukeike on October 19th, 2009 at 5:30 pm said:

still waiting for dissdia….

+ NinjaXYZ on October 19th, 2009 at 5:56 pm said:

$20, no online and seriously bad timing makes this very difficult to buy. I was stoked about this one back at the time of original release. Need some time to think about it now… maybe during the next game drought? Unfortunately that’s going to be a while.

+ twooh on October 19th, 2009 at 6:21 pm said:

A bit pricey @ $20!?!

Thought I was gonna buy this. But not for $20. Hell, R&C:QFB was only $15 and it looks like it was harder to make and looks better.

+ Thrasher20 on October 19th, 2009 at 6:33 pm said:

Once my PlayStation is up and running, I will buy this game

+ afdgsfdgnb on October 19th, 2009 at 7:00 pm said:

When it comes on disc, it will be worth buying.

+ ericdub78 on October 19th, 2009 at 7:11 pm said:

LOL

Are you on crack?

$20 for a game with no online that was supposed to months ago? You may have gotten away with it this summer, but not with the market as crowded as it is now.

+ Michelasso on October 19th, 2009 at 7:11 pm said:

Finally I can buy it in dollars. I’ll save 6 euro.

+ savageajames on October 19th, 2009 at 7:25 pm said:

Just got a PS3 and i LOVE it! this game looks pretty neat though i might even buy it. But the Price is affordable but 15$ may be a better price???????

+ odin_final on October 19th, 2009 at 7:42 pm said:

OK That Dose Look Good

Keep them Coming PSN^_^

+ gus_xl on October 19th, 2009 at 8:19 pm said:

I thought it was going to have network co-op.. that’s a shame.

I guess the search for a game that I can play with my friends continues

+ Kamahl_rg on October 19th, 2009 at 9:52 pm said:

Will there be a demo? $20 isnt that cheap so i wanna try before i buy

+ TriangleOffense on October 19th, 2009 at 10:30 pm said:

for $20 this is a very very very short game I beat the entire thing in under an hour on Very Hard and there is NO replay value at all its the same thing every single level. But I did like the game alot even due to that but I got it weeks ago had I waited until now to get it I would have passed and I have a feeling others will as well.

+ Tridon on October 20th, 2009 at 2:47 am said:

I used to be excited for this game two decades ago when it was announced but then I spent money on other things. Sorry but unless this has a demo, I won’t be buying.

+ shiima on October 20th, 2009 at 3:16 am said:

Lol, I’ve already taken the platinum trophy weeks ago.

(The game’s awesome)

+ plaztiksyke on October 20th, 2009 at 4:22 am said:

A local co-op adventure game with puzzles? HELL YES.

While I absolutely love Shatter, it’s a single-player experience. The only recent game with local co-op (that WAS NOT split-screen) we have enjoyed is Critter Crunch. We also absolutely adored PixelJunk Eden and PixelJunk Monsters! That being said, none of those games are particularly strong on story and are more of what we have come to expect from a modern ‘arcade’ experience. Which is fine, and we love that, but sometimes we need more.

Now, for $20 I sincerely hope that it has lossless audio and renders at least at 720p with FSAA. I noticed heavy use of that now-cliche ambient glow pixelshader, which I hope is not to cover up any deficiencies in the art or the models.

My husband and I loved playing X-Men Legends 1 & 2, Baldur’s Gate, ObsCure, and similar games. PSN hasn’t really had anything like those games, and I hope Trine is the first in a list of games that focus on story, exploration, and co-op play.

You have my $20 :)

+ EIway358 on October 20th, 2009 at 5:56 am said:

This game is worth every penny of the $20 it’s selling for. Just got my platinum on Sunday AFTER the update patch which btw, makes the last level and a couple of the trophies much tougher.

This isn’t a $10 PSN title. It’s more along the Lines of Spelunker which has a similar pricetag. I personally would rather spend $20 on one fantastic game like this than $5 or even $10 on more than one that may end up all being junk.

This game offers some really fun play. One of the biggest rushes I’ve had in a while on any game trying to get through that last level without dying! :D

+ FrozenbyteGames on October 20th, 2009 at 6:08 am said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the comments. It’s Joel from Frozenbyte here, one of the developers. We’re excited about the US release – and of course at the same time quite sad that there’s been so many problems along the way. For that reason I have posted a lengthy explanation here:

http://frozenbyte.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2156 (the post was too long for this blog)

It may not answer all questions but it should at least give a good understanding of the reasons for the delay and other things. This will probably be our only post here on the PS Blog for the time being – if you want to get in touch or ask questions, please use our forums.

Thanks for all the comments and feedback though, even if many issues are totally out of our hands. The one thing I would like to mention is that we expect the story mode in Trine to last 6-7 hours on average (there’s 15 levels). Some will complete it faster and others will take longer when they search for all the secret items and collect all Trophies (incl. the Platinum Trophy).

In closing, I think Trine will make a lot of people happy and I’d like to wish everyone great times with the game! Have fun! :)

- Joel, Frozenbyte team, developers of Trine

+ anotherdae on October 20th, 2009 at 7:56 am said:

20 dollar. no online? Failed before it had a chance.

+ THE-D1RTY-77 on October 20th, 2009 at 8:29 am said:

20 bucks? c’mon at least take off 5?
lol…

+ TwinDad on October 20th, 2009 at 8:34 am said:

@ zombie9

When are the Fanboys going to give up on the argument of the cost of Live. This isn’t an online game period. The cost of live is irrelevant to this game and the discussion of this game. You can purchase games on all consoles without having to buy a subscription. It’s only online play that differs as PSN is free to ply games online. If this game had online then your argument would have merit, as it stands it’s just another chance for you to so bias.

+ KidCommando on October 20th, 2009 at 9:22 am said:

@ Joel of the Frozenbyte team.

I just finished reading your explanation posting from your link and just wanted to say thank you. It doesn’t happen very often where reasons or explanations are given for any gaming issues, especially on this blog. It was refreshing to see a personal response that wasn’t filled with PR fluff and that actually answers most of the main issues.

You have influenced my perspective on this matter and I think your posting was a smart move; definitely better than saying nothing at all. Too bad you couldn’t have posted that from the beginning but I appreciate the response nonetheless, so thank you.

+ pmarc82 on October 20th, 2009 at 10:35 am said:

@ Joel of the Frozenbyte team.

Really half a million US dollars to add the multiplayer. That is really really steep. Thanks for sharing your point of view with us and I hope that things will go smoother for your next project. I always wanted a game to play with my wife (only have Pixel Junk Monsters for now) and I think Trine will be the perfect game for us. I am pretty sure she will enjoy it…alot..lol. To be honest, I think $20 is too much, but I might pick it up..probably not launch day (hopefully Sony will “LISTEN” to the consumers and adjust the price since it is not up to your team).
As we all know it’s a really bad timing for you guys.
Thanks for all the hard work and wish you guys the best! ;-)

+ improperlyaged on October 20th, 2009 at 11:34 am said:

this looks like a great game but the price is certainly not inviting. i mean burnout paradise is 19.99 and that game offers nearly endless playtime. need more info and maybe a demo to really warrant purchasing this especially since its been out on “other” systems for several months. i mean seriously its competing with uncharted 2(amazing) and other great games like demon souls. rather save the money for demon souls which i still havent picked up.

+ AussieGamer on October 20th, 2009 at 11:38 am said: