GTAV PS4

It Only Does Great Games

Peter Dille's Avatar + Posted by Peter Dille on Oct 23, 2009 // Senior Vice President, Marketing & PlayStation Network

In just the few weeks since my last post, we’ve launched the amazing UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves, we’ve unveiled the new 250GB PlayStation 3 and we’ve welcomed nearly half a million new PS3 owners into our PlayStation family. There is no doubt it has been a busy and exciting few weeks here; and as promised, PlayStation 3’s momentum just keeps building.

Since its introduction in 2002, the Ratchet & Clank franchise has become wildly popular, selling more than 16 million units worldwide and finding a permanent home on the “top ten favorites” lists of gamers everywhere. The latest and much anticipated installment, Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time, promises to deliver more of the signature humor and mind blowing weapons fans have come to expect while exploring the story behind Ratchet and Clank’s past and the key to their future.

While the game won’t be in stores until next Tuesday, critics are already starting to pour on the praise, touting that the latest Ratchet & Clank adventure looks like the “the best yet.” And just in time for its release, Kevin Butler is back to spotlight this incredible new addition to the Ratchet & Clank series.

In this commercial, Kevin serves as “Chief Weaponologist,” fielding a “Dear PlayStation” request from a mystery man working with an unidentified organization hoping to acquire the Ratchet & Clank weapons arsenal. The exchange leaves even the typically sharp-witted Kevin at a loss for words:

No question, we’ve got an unparalleled gaming line-up this year that includes “Only on PlayStation” experiences from our first party studios and blockbuster releases from our publishing partners. Never has there been a more rewarding time to be a PS3 owner!

And just to prove our point, here’s another “Dear PlayStation” commercial that will debut later this month that showcases a ton of great PS3 content with a crescendo that only Kevin Butler would dream up.

And for those of you who missed the commercial where Kevin commiserates with a consumer about getting her boyfriend to tap into all the great benefits of connecting to the PlayStation Network, make sure to catch it on TV again starting next week.

Enjoy!

Peter

154 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4

+ Kchow23 on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:04 pm said:

LOL awesome commercials!

+ Fusion_ID on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:04 pm said:

LOL love it. Only thing I would have done different is said. “What do I got? Exclusives!” and shown all the amazing PS3 exclusives but still, love it!

+ BigBoss712 on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:06 pm said:

Those are indeed great games. =)

+ Lemondish on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:06 pm said:

Lovin these commercials, can’t wait to play all the great upcoming games. Hell, I’m so greedy I can’t wait to see what other new experiences you guys have bakin’ for us next year.

+ Hiorik on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:06 pm said:

great commercial.

+ Maguss on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:07 pm said:

LMAO I love that ratchet commercial, it reminds me of the awesome PS2 commercials with the weapons. Keep it up!!!

+ LINKO18-1990 on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:08 pm said:

lol

+ gmk218 on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:08 pm said:

LMAO GREAT COMMERCIALS NOW LETS SEEN THEM ON ALL THE MAJOR NETWORKS YEHAAAA

+ mcbuttz78 on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:09 pm said:

this is very funny stuff. I want to just suggest to try to slide a few games that dont get mareketd well into commercials, like a opening screen and then show off a few AAA titles . Other than than good work Mr Dille :)!!

+ ProSoldier14 on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:09 pm said:

Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time gets an A on 1up!

+ lcmnick on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:09 pm said:

Funny funny funny.

+ Destiny89 on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:10 pm said:

Awesome work sony! keep it up :)

+ spatsnaz on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:10 pm said:

Haha, those are genuinely hilarious! Great work!

+ aztec23 on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:10 pm said:

LOL! Sony if you give this ads ait time. More people will buy PS3!

+ hife on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:11 pm said:

Ha! Both are winners. Great job.

+ GamerMoney on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:13 pm said:

brilliant

+ lordfuneral on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:14 pm said:

EXCELLENT TV spot. I’d like to watch them on the French TV…one day perhaps.
Great Job SONY…PS3 forever

+ phinnv8 on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:14 pm said:

Great commercial, my gf wants me to get this game so I’m definitely getting it (I still occasionally play LittleBigPlanet with her).

However the commercial will continue to be a lie until PS3 does Cross Game voice chat and auto-syncs trophies.

On a side note, I got Demon’s Souls, and its astoundingly good (and not at all as hard as people say I’ve only died like 4 times in 20 hours so far)

+ xenorevlis on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:15 pm said:

Great work! Although, I think the montage could use a few more games.

+ FallingAwake on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:15 pm said:

I love these ads.

+ EddyxMob on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:15 pm said:

Love the Second one
Awesome Job

+ Scodo_Thope on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:18 pm said:

Mr. Dille, I wanted to let you know that this capaign has to be the best ever for Sony.

I must say, “There is no better time to own a PS3!” (HUGE SMILEY FACE)!! Even if it is on my 60G 2007 version.

Keep up the great work.

+ LukaX23 on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:18 pm said:

Sony is just kicking the crap out of everyone right now. I love it.

+ Jeigh on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:19 pm said:

Jeeeeeff!

You need to whack your Internet Hamsters- I can hardly read certain sections because the hyperlinks are jumping up several lines and overlapping with other text.

Your PR Ninjas might have some interest in this respect as well. But I don’t recommend whacking them.

+ Ghostly_Hero on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:20 pm said:

Two words: Mon Tage!

:D Haha, I wish the EU commercials were as good.

+ roseofmayix on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:21 pm said:

The general commerical fails to name the titles available. This should be a key message. Its also heavily Uncharted filled. Theres more than Uncharted on the console.

On a side note, atleast this commerical isn’t sexist. So you get a point for that.

The Ratchet commerical is devoid of the humor found in the older ones. I am disappinted :( However, atleast it shows off the game. Granted more gameplay could have been included.

+ NukePistols on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:22 pm said:

Rock on Kevin Butler, rock on.

+ BrianC6234 on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:22 pm said:

Another great PS3 commercial. Too funny. Keep them coming Sony.

+ Cody_L on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:22 pm said:

Mr. Dille, is there any chance you could get these and all of the other ones on the PS Store in HD for us?

+ Enforcer_X on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:22 pm said:

Kevin Butler is my hero!

+ subbed on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:23 pm said:

Dille and Trenton need to stop talking. While the brand is doing great and I love the upcoming games those two talking always leads to PR speak which gives me a headache.

+ Stuffgamer1 on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:24 pm said:

Great, now what about the great games it DOESN’T play, such as the first four Rachet & Clank games? You should really hurry up and do something about that. Read: Finish the freaking PS2 emulator, or at LEAST own up to the fact that you’re working on it.

+ MAGNUM-RAM on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:25 pm said:

Hardcore playstation gamer here & I want to say thank you Sony for all the great games available to me. My collection is incredible!

Ps3 is the Best!

+ FoolKiller79 on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:26 pm said:

Awesome again. I see Gran Turismo 5 Prologue is still getting included. Can’t wait to see what we get with GT5.

+ Jeigh on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:26 pm said:

Okay, that first one was freaking hilarious. The second was freaking awesome. Hence, that was freaking, hilariously awesome. I think the absence of Ratchet & Clank footage in the montage was jarring. Still, very well done.

+ King_KDawgg on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:28 pm said:

Seriously the best ads in so so many years. Whoever decided on this direction for the marketing is a keeper.

Lol at the Jack Tretton picture at the end of the Mon Tage ad!

+ PSYKOH on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:28 pm said:

LOL…. Sony hit the jackpot with Kevin Butler…

+ Jeigh on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:29 pm said:

Oh, and I second the placing of all of these commercials on the PlayStation Store. (I actually I’m probably WAY further back in that line than second.) Maybe a section specifically for this campaign?

+ Lokiroo420 on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:31 pm said:

LMAO epic wig!

+ DTXSFC on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:32 pm said:

Hey Peter, PS3 it does everything but MUSIC VIDEOS & MP3 downloads. What’s up with that?

+ BlooodyCow on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:33 pm said:

Sorry, but that new Ratchet and Clank commercial fails. It does not capture the feelings of R&C. It makes it seems as if R&C is a serious game, then in actuality, it is not. You guys need to bring back the old R&C commercials because that is what sold many people on this series. This commercial just is not doing it and does not do the game justice.

The Montage commercial on the other hand is both a hit and miss. Hit with Killzone 2, UC2, GT5, and Resistance 2 (The opening). It fails to show off games such as inFamous, Ratchet and Clank, LBP, Demon’s Souls, Fat Princess, Flower, and others.

+ King_KDawgg on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:33 pm said:

Also I’d like to add that Sony has actually done a good job at SHOWING these commercials regularly. I’ve been seeing them all the time on Comedy Central, I think I saw one during House too…

the other day I was playing Uncharted 2. My friend, casual gamer, comes over and sees me playing and says “Wow is this Uncharted 2? It does look like a movie, like they said in the commercial.”

+ KazeEternal on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:34 pm said:

@Peter Dille
That’s awesome peter great advertisements keep it up. Maybe even apply this to PSP if you could in some way.

However can we get PS2 Backward Compatibility back please. I’d love to switch to a slim from my loud, hot, space consuming, 60 gig and no I don’t have a PS2 anymore and I prefer what the PS3 does for PS2 games anyway.

+ Loki_d20 on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:34 pm said:

Montage one is the best, just for having Kevin in the 80s rock wig and the miniature stage effects on his desk.

+ Miles514 on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:35 pm said:

Sony has the best gaming commercials! Wow

+ Gorvi on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:36 pm said:

The Ratchet commercial is only ok, but that montage commercial is fantastic. Good show.

+ Brapp347 on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:37 pm said:

omg, lol “tight…”

+ Fabolous1earth on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:37 pm said:

Tight Commercials lol

+ triple_lei on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:38 pm said:

We rule!!!

+ THE_AMAROK on October 23rd, 2009 at 12:40 pm said:

That commercial is bad ass and funny as hell. I like these cause they go for the tween, teen, young adult and heck adult humor. Kevin Butler is funny as hell too with his dry sense of humor. Nice Sony loving it!!

PAGE 1 2 3 4