PS4-The Order

Coming to PSN this Week: Inferno Pool

Rob Hewson's Avatar + Posted by Rob Hewson on Oct 26, 2009 // Senior Creative Designer, Dark Energy Digital

It’s been five months since the exclusive launch of Inferno Pool on the European PSN Store, and after a bombardment of emails asking when it was going to hit North America we can finally say, Thursday!

Just before the European PSN Store launch, there was a nervous excitement within the team here. When the people who have been developing the game for months on end are still hanging around at lunch and after work for yet another four-player battle royale you feel confident that you have something special. But would the rest of the world get it?

The answer was a resounding yes. There was a real buzz in the studio as the first glowing reviews began to roll in calling it an essential PSN purchase and waxing lyrical about evenings lost in a frenzy of multiplayer action, but the most satisfying thing of all was the reaction from gamers themselves.

Dedicated forums began to pop up discussing strategic ballzooka targeting, how to pull off a kickshot-multiball-combo and how to amass a devastating Endurance Mode time by stringing together a huge potting streak multiplier. In fact, as revealed in our European PlayStation.Blog entry, we were compelled to publish our own Inferno Pool Masterclass tips after the community identified some of our PSN IDs and began to gang up to take us down!

So, now the time has come for gamers in North America to get their hands on the game. Once again the feeling in the studio is one of nervous excitement, but maybe a little less of the nervous and a little more of the excitement.

We know that the game isn’t well known over there (if that includes you then check out the games homepage). However we’re confident gamers will be won over once they realize it’s a fiery, four-player, backstabbing, adrenaline pumping, online party game and not merely a kick-ass pool simulator.

So, fingers crossed here for Dark Energy’s first North American release…we can’t wait to see what you think.

+ PerezBros on October 27th, 2009 at 4:24 pm said:

You honest think every comment should be positive?

+ Rob Hewson on October 27th, 2009 at 4:33 pm said:

That\’ll be the day!

+ YobRenoops on October 27th, 2009 at 4:29 pm said:

Try being constructive and not an idiot.

+ Rob Hewson on October 27th, 2009 at 4:33 pm said:

lalalala

+ YobRenoops on October 27th, 2009 at 4:36 pm said:

lalala eh? Now devs are singing to me. Oh the joy.

Let us sing songs of depth perception and no-one being from Manchester or Leeds.

+ Rob Hewson on October 27th, 2009 at 4:37 pm said:

I\’m a lumberjack and I\’m ok, I sleep all night and I work all day!

+ Rob Hewson on October 27th, 2009 at 4:36 pm said:

Well, here we are on page 3. It’s been a rollercoaster ride and after a long day of working and replying it is time for sleep over here in the UK.

I look forward to more comments awaiting me in the morning and will try to keep up replying to every one of them.

+ PerezBros on October 27th, 2009 at 4:54 pm said:

w@PerezBros I must be some type of tool? Eh? My problem isn’t with what your saying, you have obviously played the demo and don’t like the video, however its with the way you say it. Coming across aggressively and like a massive loser really doesn’t help anything.Try being constructive and not an idiot.

Wow mature. you result to personal insults. I’m not angry at anyone. I just state my stance that i dont think this game is a good investment on the playstation network . How many niche games do we need before the playstation store starts to get overpopulated with generic arcade games like the live marketplace.

+ Rob Hewson on October 28th, 2009 at 2:55 am said:

k

+ PerezBros on October 27th, 2009 at 5:19 pm said:

Me and my brother share accounts and im not the one who has been so aggressive in the previous posts. Honestly i dont know why he has taken such a negative stance. We are on a tight gaming budget and we wish we could have all the games. I personally thought the video was hilarious i have not tried to demo yet but i can assure you if i had the money… Id get it purely just for the trophies and ridiculous over–the-topness.

+ Rob Hewson on October 28th, 2009 at 2:58 am said:

No worries, thanks for the update!

If I manage to secure any extra codes I\’ll try to send you one, then you can not let your brother have a go ;)

The trophies are fun to get, the hardest is the All Bases Covered where you have to cooperate online to get all the skills shots in 3 minutes… great fun

+ PerezBros on October 27th, 2009 at 5:31 pm said:

I also have a split personality who claims he’s my brother.

+ Rob Hewson on October 28th, 2009 at 2:58 am said:

You might want to see someone about that ;P

+ acerazer1 on October 27th, 2009 at 6:58 pm said:

If it’s a niche game, then isn’t it the opposite of generic?

+ Rob Hewson on October 28th, 2009 at 2:59 am said:

I\’d certainly argue it\’s unique!

+ PerezBros on October 27th, 2009 at 7:03 pm said:

My brother is an as$hole 360 fanboy don’t mind him.

+ Rob Hewson on October 28th, 2009 at 3:00 am said:

Aha. Fanboys… they\’re everywhere I tell you, can\’t we all just get along?

+ D34DL1N3R on October 27th, 2009 at 7:22 pm said:

This game looks SA-WEEEEEEEEET!!!! And the voice? LMAO! Great stuff indeed.

Can I have a code please? If you don’t give me one I’m going to lock myself in the refrigerator & then won’t be able to purchase it anyway.

If you feel like saving a life before that happens my PSN is D34DL1N3R.

+ Rob Hewson on October 28th, 2009 at 3:01 am said:

hahaha… at least you wont go hungry while your in there.

I\’ll see what I can do if we have any spares :)

+ jim488 on October 27th, 2009 at 10:36 pm said:

i play pool in GTA IV, and i play pool in PlayStation Home. my uncle had a pool table IN HIS TRAILER (took up the whole living room, btw!) and someone actually decided to take a pool game and do something different with it?! Willie and Fats must be rolling over in their graves! they’re probably in hell, though, so Inferno Pool might just please them. Big Ups, DED! i’ma make my purchase. can’t wait! :)

+ Rob Hewson on October 28th, 2009 at 3:04 am said:

Cheers! Who needs another straight Pool game when you can fire your balls at each other.

+ Rob Hewson on October 28th, 2009 at 3:06 am said:

Wellllllll it seems we might finally be reaching the end of the comments… it’s been great fun so thanks to everyone who commented.

I’ll keep checking back in case there are any more but until then I think I can say Platinum Trophy unlocked: 100% Comment Reply.

Now I just need to convince Sony that my immaginary trophy needs to be added to my PSN ID.

+ the_lone_wolf_42 on October 28th, 2009 at 4:28 am said:

haha i think its great that you take the time out to answer all the comments. i deeply respect that on the blog, often we feel as if no one is even glancing at our comments. :( Rob=my new best friend :D

+ Rob Hewson on October 28th, 2009 at 6:56 am said:

Hehehe its gotten to the stage now where I MUST reply to every comment in order to feel like I have completed the game… I mean blog.

It\’s as if there is a percentage complete bar that must be kept at 100%.

+ the_lone_wolf_42 on October 28th, 2009 at 7:00 am said:

um…either there’s more to this…or i can reccomend you to a good therapist :D

+ Rob Hewson on October 28th, 2009 at 7:02 am said:

Must reply, must reply… mussstttt reply

+ the_lone_wolf_42 on October 28th, 2009 at 7:02 am said:

hehe either there’s more to this, or i can reccomend you to a good therapist :D

+ Rob Hewson on October 28th, 2009 at 7:12 am said:

Must double reply, must double reply!!!

+ the_lone_wolf_42 on October 28th, 2009 at 7:03 am said:

oops didnt mean to double post D:

+ Rob Hewson on October 28th, 2009 at 7:12 am said:

eeeeeek

+ the_lone_wolf_42 on October 28th, 2009 at 7:05 am said:

damn you reply fast! this might be a little awkward…but will you marry me? :D

+ Rob Hewson on October 28th, 2009 at 7:13 am said:

Are you a beautiful 25 year old girl who loves games, curry and F1? If so, then yes!

+ PerezBros on October 28th, 2009 at 12:25 pm said:

Hey Rob its me again. The brother of the guy whos been giving you a lot of flack. Here are a couple things you could possibly answer the fans.

1.)Is there in-game custom soundtracks?
2.)How many trophies are there in your game?
3.)How do you feel about receiving a trophy for answering every question on the blog?
4.)What was your motivation for making this game.
5.)Will there be any updates that could possibly improve the game by adding modes or etc or are you onto your next project?

+ Rob Hewson on October 28th, 2009 at 3:25 pm said:

1. Unfortunately not
    2. 12
    3. The trophy doesn\’t really exist, it\’s just in my head, but it feels great!
    4. We wanted to make a game that was easy to pick up and play but difficult to master, and have frantic 4 player action like the good old days of Micro Machines and Goldeneye
    5. We\’ve got loads of ideas, it a question of time. If the demand is there then we will make the time.

+ the_lone_wolf_42 on October 28th, 2009 at 12:38 pm said:

Ok but I want our honeymoon to be in Italy :D hehe oh and Perezbros…do us all a favor and shutup already! your ruining this beautiful moment D:

+ Rob Hewson on October 28th, 2009 at 3:26 pm said:

Rome?

+ the_lone_wolf_42 on October 28th, 2009 at 12:45 pm said:

on topic of this post, when is the demo going to be released for the US store? i couldnt find it and i really wanted to give this game a try. Definitly looks interesting, and i hope its under 7 bucks cause thats all i have on my account right now and i wont be able to pick up a PSN card for a few months :’(

+ Rob Hewson on October 28th, 2009 at 3:27 pm said:

I believe the demo is launching with the full game tomorrow

+ the_lone_wolf_42 on October 28th, 2009 at 1:42 pm said:

hahahahaha @87 YOU GOT OWNED!!! EPIC COMEBACK BY ROB! crap i just read the stuff about free codes too :( and i missed it D: I have no reason to live :( when you hear about the beautiful 25 year old girl who loves games, curry and F1 jumping off a bridge…that’ll be me :’(

+ Rob Hewson on October 28th, 2009 at 3:28 pm said:

+ Rob Hewson on October 28th, 2009 at 3:30 pm said:

I’ve just got back from a Manchester City game, 5-1 win! And my ticket was freeeeeeeee. Back of the net!

+ the_lone_wolf_42 on October 28th, 2009 at 3:34 pm said:

hey whats your psn id? i’d love to play a few games sometime :D

+ Rob Hewson on October 29th, 2009 at 3:18 am said:

GingerMonkey81

+ Xoonaka on October 28th, 2009 at 4:09 pm said:

Looks like you said regular 8-ball and 9-ball is included as well? Some of us folk like basic pool…. I’ll probably pick it up if it’s decently cheap. No offense, but I couldn’t see myself dropping more then $10. I know you guys got to make a living, but it’s a busy fall with a ton of games coming out. Cutbacks must be made.

+ Rob Hewson on October 29th, 2009 at 3:19 am said:

Yes there is indeed 8 ball and 9 ball: Practice, Versus AI (scalable difficulty), 2 player local and 2 player online with leaderboards.

As for the price, I think you\’ll find it pretty good value!

+ PerezBros on October 28th, 2009 at 5:45 pm said:

Rob don’t be fooled the lone wolf’s a dude. Good job on the blog man!

+ Rob Hewson on October 29th, 2009 at 3:20 am said:

I knew it!!!

+ aztec23 on October 28th, 2009 at 6:18 pm said:

Wow I missed a party. A guy with split personalities or maybe his is telling the truth. BTW dude you are still replying to every post. Other gaming companies should hire you to be there spoke person in the PS blog.

+ Rob Hewson on October 29th, 2009 at 3:20 am said:

Hahaha but would I be as motivated if I hadn\’t personally worked on the game???

+ the_lone_wolf_42 on October 29th, 2009 at 4:22 am said:

wow i just checked and….HOLY SH*T I’M A GUY! WHEN DID THAT HAPPEN!?

+ Rob Hewson on November 3rd, 2009 at 2:04 pm said:

A reply I missed… but not anymore

+ the_lone_wolf_42 on October 29th, 2009 at 6:59 am said:

“your comment is awaiting moderation” <~~~ooops

+ Rob Hewson on October 29th, 2009 at 9:51 am said:

??

+ pigmak on October 29th, 2009 at 7:46 am said:

I was so pumped when I first saw this blog post, as obvious in #44 and #45….With the poor quality video being the only info up at the time, I thought it would be helpful to post info on the game and a link to good pics, which I did….Rob jokingly offered me a PR job in 44 then in 45, after the “game feature promoting” I did, he said “And on that high note I have finally reached the end of the comments”….That tells me my post was solid….In #82 I posted a link to a thread i posted in the psn forum on the 22nd….I wanted this game as much as anyone in the US….

+ Rob Hewson on October 29th, 2009 at 9:52 am said:

Don\’t worry, I haven\’t forgotten about you ;)

+ pigmak on October 29th, 2009 at 7:46 am said:

+ Rob Hewson on October 29th, 2009 at 9:55 am said:

Woah, woah! That\’s english for stop a horse!

+ pigmak on October 29th, 2009 at 7:47 am said:

…Now I am not begging for a code, like most here, but After Rob’s response saying maybe he will give out codes to the best five comments, mine, in my opinion, should be right up there….I guess I made it too clear I wanted this game and it was assumed I would be a buyer for sure….Now I have bad vibes after seeing the way codes were giving out to people who come here and say “OH, I don’t really like pool” and whatever excuses and lies…just to get a code…I imagine these same people do that on every game…I have always paid for my games….Next time I will act uninterested, I guess..I was more than willing to pay for this game….I was actually a click away from buying it from the UK store last week….Now, I am turned off….I more than likely will now buy Burnout, as first planned, and save my money for the Socom DLC, and Planet Mini Golf…..It just upsets me I even came here, or else I wouldn’t even question buying….1 guaranteed buyer now -1, sorry.

+ Rob Hewson on October 29th, 2009 at 9:57 am said:

You are right… I have managed to secure an extra bunch of codes for yourself and the others I promised any spares to. However I really don\’t have any more so that\’s the lot peoples!

+ pigmak on October 29th, 2009 at 7:50 am said:

sorry double post, silly thing said it did not go through…my las one anyway…peace

+ Rob Hewson on October 29th, 2009 at 9:58 am said:

I hope it\’s not really your last one, I need your PSN ID if you want that code!

+ aztec23 on October 29th, 2009 at 11:43 am said:

I want a code :)

+ Rob Hewson on October 29th, 2009 at 11:46 am said:

Sorry dude :(

+ the_lone_wolf_42 on October 29th, 2009 at 12:31 pm said:

lol from your ?s i’m guessing the comment i posted above it was moderated (even though i can still see it) anyway above the one you left ?s on, i typed “wow i just checked and….HOLY (another word for crap) I’M A GUY! WHEN DID THAT HAPPEN!?” and i went back and looked later and it says under it “Your comment is awaiting moderation” :D make sense now?

+ Rob Hewson on October 30th, 2009 at 1:25 am said:

I see… :$

+ aztec23 on October 29th, 2009 at 1:25 pm said:

Well thanks anyways Rob atleast I won’t lock myself in the freezer like a other person said in the previous post because he/she didn’t get a free code.

+ Rob Hewson on October 30th, 2009 at 1:26 am said:

Phew!

+ MaGNeTiX on October 29th, 2009 at 3:46 pm said:

Hey rob!

On the iPhone so will keep this short and sweet.

In the uk and had this game since launch pretty much. Excellent value for money. The game is really addictive and it’s a really nice approach to the traditional pool game.

Had loads of fun doing ridiculous jump shots and insane screwbacks! Graphics look awesome too.

Trophies were good, though didn’t take too long to do. Would love some more offline trophies to get!

Other than that, custom table colours would be nice, and proper English 8ball pool with the red and yellow would be fab!!

Fantastic work, as I said, worth every penny. Just realised, not quite as short as promised! ;)

+ Rob Hewson on October 30th, 2009 at 1:27 am said:

hahaha great thanks for the feedback… some nice ideas there too!

+ CONDEMNEDSOUL on October 29th, 2009 at 6:00 pm said:

That was really cool looking. I stop playing pool in local bars because the scene got old really fast. Here is something I could enjoy from the comfort of my own home that my girlfriend would actually play with me thus briging us closer together. The voice was a bad idea but no mistaking the gameplay footage. Looks very interesting and has a good price. Unless I am one of the lucky few this will be a purchase for me very soon and I plan to spread the word assuming it is as good as it looks.

+ Rob Hewson on October 30th, 2009 at 1:29 am said:

Switch the voice off in the options, curl up with the girlfriend for a romantic game, and then watch the evening turn into a competitive winner takes all battle to the death!

+ CONDEMNEDSOUL on October 29th, 2009 at 6:02 pm said:

Oh all the codes are gone and I didnt see that. Oh well can’t win them all and still interesting in buying.

+ Rob Hewson on October 30th, 2009 at 1:29 am said:

+ Poacher619 on October 29th, 2009 at 6:41 pm said:

My Wife and I started dating after a game of pool. Is there any codes left?

+ Rob Hewson on October 30th, 2009 at 1:30 am said:

Nope sorry… but surely this game would make a PERFECT anniversary present right? Am I right??

+ MGO_Count on October 29th, 2009 at 7:29 pm said:

Wow this game looks sick. I want it now!, But I still have to wait till Christmas to get a PSN card ;_;

+ Rob Hewson on October 30th, 2009 at 1:31 am said:

I\’ll pass your request on to santa

+ randyphx on October 29th, 2009 at 7:54 pm said:

Man this looks sweet, it got better when I saw the second video. looks like the best pool I have seen in a long time, I’m getting this next week for sure. Thank you.

+ Rob Hewson on October 30th, 2009 at 1:31 am said:

No, no sir, thank you!

+ VivaGardner on October 30th, 2009 at 7:35 am said:

Looks pretty interesting. I’ll probably check it out though I’ve been a bit strapped for cash because my mother has been sick and I want to get both of my parents something good for the holiday that they can enjoy! Some things have to take priority! Maybe I can check it out in a few months and hopefully people will still be playing!

+ Rob Hewson on October 30th, 2009 at 1:52 pm said:

Sure thing… all the best to you and your parents :)

+ pigmak on October 30th, 2009 at 12:14 pm said:

I had to check…If this is no joke, TY…pigmak is my psn id

+ Rob Hewson on October 30th, 2009 at 1:53 pm said:

Got it

+ pigmak on October 30th, 2009 at 9:53 pm said:

Thanks, Rob, you really did not have to, much appreciated…Only question is how or when will i get it? email or psn box? I obviously have never gotten one before..I checked both places..ty

+ Rob Hewson on October 31st, 2009 at 6:40 pm said:

I will send it when I get back into work on monday if you give me your psn id

+ GUNBEHINDTHESUN on October 30th, 2009 at 10:35 pm said:

The Playstation Store describes the game as being in 1080p with 60 fps, but it won’t display in 1080p. When I go into the display settings and uncheck 720p and 1080i, it will only display in 480p.

+ Rob Hewson on October 31st, 2009 at 6:41 pm said:

There must be an error in the description. The game is native 720p with full screen anti aliasing at 60fps

+ amak111 on October 31st, 2009 at 8:47 am said:

Rob, its me again (amak111). How long does Sony take to send you guys the codes. Earlier you said you send them out as soon as sony sent them to you. Anyways thanks, I will get your psn on the previous (or this page)then we can play a little.

[after i get my code of course] thank you rob, we all appreciate what you do.

+ Rob Hewson on October 31st, 2009 at 6:42 pm said:

Codes arrived last thing on friday, so I will send them out on monday. Looking forward to online battle of destiny

+ pigmak on October 31st, 2009 at 8:34 pm said:

Sounds good Rob, thanks…my main psn id is”pigmak” as stated in #143….unless you mean my email associated with my account…ya said “got it” IN #143….then ask for it in #144…It confuses me….makes me wanna battle you….thanks again……pigmak….pigpak, lol. cant wait!!

+ Rob Hewson on November 1st, 2009 at 5:23 am said:

ok got it

+ the_lone_wolf_42 on October 31st, 2009 at 10:34 pm said:

well..Inferno Pool is downloading as i type this. I robbed two banks and stole 32 purses from old ladies so i could get this. Hope its good…because i have about 3 hours to play it before the cops come get me.

+ Rob Hewson on November 1st, 2009 at 5:24 am said:

Nice! Hope you enjoy!

+ the_lone_wolf_42 on October 31st, 2009 at 10:38 pm said:

Oh and Rob…why do you ask for everyone’s PSN ID? It’s listed right above thier post.

+ Rob Hewson on November 1st, 2009 at 5:24 am said:

I knew that, of course ;)

+ the_lone_wolf_42 on November 1st, 2009 at 2:26 pm said:

hm…there’s some good things about this game and some bad things..let me know when you’re on PSN so I can discuss some issues with you. :)

+ Rob Hewson on November 3rd, 2009 at 3:37 am said:

Hopefully I will catch you online for a game or two