PS4-Watch_Dogs

Brütal Legend’s Tears of the Hextadon DLC Launches for Free on PSN!

Brent Dady's Avatar + Posted by Brent Dady on Oct 27, 2009 // Product Marketing Manager, Electronic Arts

Eddie and Ironheade

Now that Rocktober of the year of our metal Lords 2009 is coming to a close, we at Double Fine Productions and Electronic Arts are taking the time to reflect back upon a pretty eventful year. Here are just a select few of the very many Brütal Legend highlights that have lodged into my memory banks:

1. Jack Black, Tim Schafer, and Rob Halford unveiling Brütal’s gameplay for the first time to the coalition of the willing PS3 gamers at the Spike VGAs.

2. E3 – staying up until 9am the day of the show loading builds (I may have never recovered from this all year), live Twitter chats, a banner 1/3 the size of a football field, debuting our talent trailer, the coalition of the unwilling finds its leader. Pandemonium!

3. Comic-con – the infamous Brütal Legend concert featuring 3 Inches of Blood and GWAR. Picture is pretty much self-explanatory.

4. Wherein Tim Schafer tries to solve a Rubik’s Cube in the time that it takes Emily Ridgway, Double Fine’s audio director, to recite the bands and titles of the 108 songs off of the (I would say EPIC) Brütal soundtrack.

5. Launch! Marketing and PR! Dancing monkeys! Jack Black makes the ultimate sacrifice to promote the game.

Skipping forward to the future, since I know fond memory #6 will be one of my highlights of the Brütal campaign:

6. Free DLC on PSN! The Tears of the Hextadon downloadable content pack launches on November 5 for the PS3…and did I mention it is FREE for two weeks exclusively on PSN?!

We love the PS3 and we’re excited that connected PS3 gamers across the world will able to enjoy 2 multiplayer maps, The Circle of Tears and Death’s Fjord, as well as the Blade of Ormagöden axe, courtesy of the fine folks at Double Fine, Sony, and EA.

We hope to see you online for a skirmish or two or three.

Lita Halford ready to attack

69 Comments   1 Reply

PAGE 1 2

+ Fexelea on October 27th, 2009 at 7:03 am said:

Wow! Yay! Thanks!!!! **Buying it now** lol

+ BigBoss712 on October 27th, 2009 at 7:04 am said:

Free dlc is always welcome, i need to play this game, i liked the demo.

+ almighty-slayer on October 27th, 2009 at 7:14 am said:

Free DLC is good. Thanks a lot EA :) Good to see it will be coming to Europe too

+ Korbei83 on October 27th, 2009 at 7:22 am said:

I did not expect this.

+ spatsnaz on October 27th, 2009 at 7:22 am said:

Oh man, I still have to pick this game up!

+ Foxx on October 27th, 2009 at 7:23 am said:

An absolutely epic game fit for rock legends! Awesome to see some free DLC on it’s way. I’ll be downloading and playing it on November 5th!

Thanks Double Fine!
Tim Schafer rocks by the way ;)

+ Foxx on October 27th, 2009 at 7:24 am said:

Thanks Double Fine!

Tim Schafer rocks by the way ;)

+ crusher915 on October 27th, 2009 at 7:32 am said:

I wish cod5 would make the maps free for sometime.

+ KidCommando on October 27th, 2009 at 7:36 am said:

Wow! Thanks for the FREE DLC. Definitely didn’t see that coming.

Didn’t have much interest in this game, but I have to say the demo was pretty cool. After all the positive reviews, player feedback, and an announcement of FREE DLC, I just might have to get this game.

Thanks again, nothing beats FREE.

+ FE_RR on October 27th, 2009 at 7:36 am said:

i love the game, i’m in the last mission…but, i’m having a problem, cannot conect online multiplayer, i press start to look for another players and never find anything, i see the axe spining forever and never…i want the online trophies, anyone else having this problem?

+ KSPRAYDAD on October 27th, 2009 at 7:36 am said:

It would be nice if the PC PSN would allow you to que this stuff up while your PS3 is in for service.

+ FE_RR on October 27th, 2009 at 7:40 am said:

i forgot something, OST cd and a “the art of”, both things are a MUST in this game!!

+ anotherdae on October 27th, 2009 at 7:44 am said:

Wait, whats in the DLC?

+ SilverPR on October 27th, 2009 at 7:53 am said:

Read dude… READ!!!!!

+ KSPRAYDAD on October 27th, 2009 at 7:54 am said:

@8….

Yep…that’ll happen right after we see Jeff riding a pink unicorn into the Microsoft Offices of Aaron Greenberg.

+ element12436 on October 27th, 2009 at 7:57 am said:

well this is good news. very good game too :D

+ BalramRules on October 27th, 2009 at 7:57 am said:

Nah, I never even heard of Brutal Legend, but sorry anyways since your a Sony exclusive franchise, wait, ARE YOU!?!?!?!
Froge that! Im buyin UC2 AT 4TH NOV!!! GOODBYE!

+ anotherdae on October 27th, 2009 at 7:58 am said:

srry but… Do maps = levels?

+ BiezulbubBill69 on October 27th, 2009 at 8:04 am said:

If it’s free, it’s for me!!!! Too bad I don’t have Brutal Legend though LOL

=/

+ TakiFuGu on October 27th, 2009 at 8:09 am said:

Rocktober is being murdered by Uncharted 2. LOL Good move giving free DLC. Still, I wont pick this game up until it’s $40. I just got Rachet & Clank Future: Crack in time this morning and walked right by BL like it didn’t exist LOL.

+ Utmost-Nutszo on October 27th, 2009 at 8:18 am said:

Uh… when a company is doing a special promotion specifically for you, the least you can do is say thanks and NOT insult their game.

Especially when the game itself is great.

+ MGSTigerFox on October 27th, 2009 at 8:21 am said:

Freaking sweet. Thank you, Double Fine. You guys absolutely rule!!!!!!!

+ dragonmagician on October 27th, 2009 at 8:36 am said:

I love free stuff. Please keep them coming! :)

+ cornagandarub on October 27th, 2009 at 8:36 am said:

Wow! I finally got the game two days ago! Thanks Double Fine!

+ Vengeful-Chaos on October 27th, 2009 at 8:38 am said:

Don’t have the game yet, Uncharted stole the show this Rocktober but Rockmember (November) will be the month I rock out with my DS3 out.

+ jqtaxpayer on October 27th, 2009 at 8:38 am said:

GWAR!!! Greatest band of all time.

+ ShadowOfEden on October 27th, 2009 at 8:38 am said:

That’s great! Now all we have to is to be able to join a game. Well, I always manage to find a game, it’s just that it takes between 10 to 20 minutes…

+ LRGKING on October 27th, 2009 at 8:39 am said:

Score for the PSN =D

+ silentRob88 on October 27th, 2009 at 8:42 am said:

Sweet! Been having a lot of fun with this game (and EB Games finally called to let me know they got my pre-order swag in, a couple of days ago). Can’t wait for the free DLC (which is always very much appreciated).

Thanks, folks!

+ Vengeful-Chaos on October 27th, 2009 at 8:43 am said:

I meant Rockvember*

+ that-acmilan-guy on October 27th, 2009 at 8:46 am said:

Thanks EA And PSN Team for making it happen.

+ CRONIC_GAMER on October 27th, 2009 at 9:01 am said:

I bought this game and beat it in 8 hrs there wasn’t anything to really do after that well worth renting but I regret spending 64.00$ for it

+ CaruthK on October 27th, 2009 at 9:10 am said:

I love the PSN so much free stuff. PSN replaced my cable TV LOL…

+ AceBeeDee on October 27th, 2009 at 9:13 am said:

i want this game, but, oh, the economy…

+ toology01 on October 27th, 2009 at 9:15 am said:

This is awesome!! Freakin LOVE THIS GAME! But please please please, fix the online stability, so hard to get a stable match going and most of the time it takes at least 5 minutes to get pair up with someone. I love playing online but the wait times are ridiculous and even when you do get someone alot of the time it crashes.

+ EvoAnubis on October 27th, 2009 at 9:19 am said:

Great news! I admit, I haven’t bought the game YET, but I will before the year ends. Loved the demo!

+ BlooodyCow on October 27th, 2009 at 9:23 am said:

Sweet. I bough this game for my friend xmas gift. She was interested in this game, but she just has not gotten around to buying it. I am going to create a dummy account and download this DLC while it is free for her.

+ SaintNoir on October 27th, 2009 at 9:30 am said:

Just started playing this and am loving it so far. There is nothing else like it. Thanks a lot for the free DLC guys!

+ acerazer1 on October 27th, 2009 at 9:41 am said:

Free is goooood

+ Schobeleth on October 27th, 2009 at 9:50 am said:

Omfg this is amazing. The fact that it’s free exclusively for two weeks is gonna piss off my friends who got it for the Xbox. Oh how the tides have turned ;) THANK YOU EA AND DOUBLE FINE FOR MAKING SUCH AN AMAZING GAME!

+ FE_RR on October 27th, 2009 at 9:52 am said:

@ 32 CRONIC_GAMER
120 dragons, a lot of secondary missions, solos, relics, trophies, paronamic views, concept art, multiplayer (when it works properly), etc. etc., if it is not worth it’s because yo don’t want it to be worth

+ Neil on October 27th, 2009 at 10:03 am said:

I just bought this game on Sunday. Sweet!

+ ColorOfSilence on October 27th, 2009 at 10:08 am said:

@18 no maps = multiplayer maps the only bad thing is the multiplayer has not been working right as everyone else stated but the game itself is so amazing and double fine wow you guys are just awesome i especially love the soundtrack and how they included some tenacious D songs and mastodon, 3 inches of blood, carcass! great great game and i cannot wait until nov 5th! i am so getting this DLC! the maps are great but i want the axe! the axe is for the single player part of the game also right not just the multiplayer game? because I’ve been rocking out the spike-quilled axe with my love giver that i got from the pre-order but i bet the love-giver with the Blade of Ormagöden axe would be even more badass! Tim Schafer you are amazing and this is a badass game!

+ DTXSFC on October 27th, 2009 at 10:20 am said:

I didn’t think this game would be all that good but after playing the demo I ready to play the full game. It’s funny how you can select to keep things toned down or to foul mouth everyone and see heads get blown off. This game will go down as a classic PS3 title.

+ TheGuardianFID on October 27th, 2009 at 10:25 am said:

The game is awesome, let
Rocktober go out with a BANG BABY, Free DLC FTW!!! 8D

+ Destiny89 on October 27th, 2009 at 10:39 am said:

Great news!

+ Cheddare on October 27th, 2009 at 11:16 am said:

@DTXSFC

I Also found those parts of the demo awesome. But be for-warned when your lead designer needs to come out and tell people how to play the game there is something wrong there.

Aswell there are RTS elements to this game which are not available in the demo and have outraged alot of people and apparently made the game pretty bad.

But to each his own. I’ll be picking it up when its in the 19.99 section in 3 months.

+ Nepraos on October 27th, 2009 at 11:22 am said:

To be honest, I haven’t even touched my copy of Brutal Legend just yet. Too many big-named hits have been released back-to-back for the past couple weeks and I haven’t caught up with Brutal Legend’s release (playing and completing games in order). Not surprising for the Fall season of gaming, though.

Anyway, free stuff is always good. I’ll be on it as soon as the DLC becomes available.

+ Thrasher20 on October 27th, 2009 at 12:14 pm said:

Brutal Legend looks alright

+ Sekoku on October 27th, 2009 at 12:22 pm said:

And yet you guys can’t fix the boring gameplay. :(

At least the DLC is free for two weeks. :/