Driveclub

Pinball Heroes Out Today on PSN for PSP

Jason Coker's Avatar + Posted by Jason Coker on Nov 12, 2009 // Associate Producer, SCEA

What up, folks?

Jason Coker here, Producer of the new downloadable PSP title, Pinball Heroes, which is available beginning TODAY for download onto your PSP from the PlayStation Store for $3.99 each. So, what is Pinball Heroes? Well, the Pinball Heroes team loves pinball – go figure – and we also love the games that Sony Computer Entertainment publishes, so we figured, “Hey, what if we were to make pinball tables based on SCE titles?” We approached some of the internal teams here at Sony, made the magic happen, and we’ve put together a really fun mix of tables, both in the range of pinball game play types and in the titles we’re representing. Please take a look at the trailer below to give you an idea of what I’m talking about:

There are four different tables available to download, which are based on High Velocity Bowling, Hot Shots Golf, PAIN, and UNCHARTED. For me, the coolest thing about Pinball Heroes is that if you dig pinball, you’ll really like any of the tables because of the diverse set of challenges that each one features, including an in-game trophy shelf, in-game trophies, online leaderboards, and an assortment of modes that keep the game exciting and fun. On top of that, if you’re a fan of the titles that we represent on each table, you’ll really enjoy the way we’ve incorporated the flavor of each game into Pinball Heroes. If you happen to be a pinball lover who is also crazy about the games we’re basing our tables on… well, you’ll be in PSP nirvana.

For example, the High Velocity Bowling table actually has a section that has ten pins set up that you can knock down once you’ve released the sweeper. In addition to your pinball score, the game will be tracking your strikes and spares as you advance through “frames” on those ten pins. On the Hot Shots Golf table, there are several unique “holes” to play. You’ll be challenged to knock down targets marked with a certain distance until the total distance gets you to the “green”, at which point you must knock the ball through an opening to the green and tap it into the hole. There are also wind conditions that will affect the ball differently on each hole, so bring your A game.

Pinball Heroes High Velocity Bowling table Pinball Heroes Hot Shots table

PAIN fans will recognize things like Fun With Explosives, PAINdemonium modes and the Manhole that can be opened as a ball lock. The UNCHARTED table actually tells the story of Nathan Drake’s’s adventures in the first UNCHARTED game, “UNCHARTED: Drake’s Fortune,” through a variety of modes that will test your pinball skills.

Pinball Heroes Pain table Pinball Heroes UNCHARTED table

We’ve put plenty of familiar sights and sounds on each table and all in all, we’ve put together a really cool mix of pinball and the things that make our first-party games so fun.

For your convenience, you can play zoomed in so that the camera tracks the balls around the table, zoomed out so that you can see the whole table, or in portrait mode, which lets you see the whole table with the PSP turned sideways, so it’s a lot larger than the default zoomed out play style. Whatever your play style, there’s something here that will suit you.

Pinball Heroes screenshot 1 Pinball Heroes screenshot 2

So there you have it – Pinball Heroes – Coming to a PSP near you. I’m really proud of how nicely the Pinball Heroes tables turned out. Teri, Josh, Joe, Larry, and I look forward to hearing your feedback once you get hands-on with the tables because there are more tables in the works, and we want to make them as good as we can. Till then, break out your Tommy albums and get your Pinball Wizard on. We’ll see you on the Leaderboards. I’m the cat with the ill high scores because that’s how I roll. Get it? See, it’s a pinball joke because the ball rolls, and…ah, forget it. Pinball Heroes for the win!!

PAGE 1 2

+ D2point0 on November 12th, 2009 at 4:51 pm said:

Definitely spotted a Wipeout table icon in that trailer. <3

+ MutilatoRJuggalo on November 12th, 2009 at 4:55 pm said:

Sounds good man. I was recently offered an opportunity to play some shows on the west coast early 2010. Got a daughter due Jan 5th so I had to turn it down. I’ll play the San Diego show though if you promise to be there. Then we can start makin history!!! We gonna be bigger than Big Black & the Chunky Boyz!!!!

Jason Coker's Avatar

+ Jason Coker on November 13th, 2009 at 10:07 am said:

Congrats on the little one, cat. Give me a date for an SD show, and I\’m there.

+ Moosehole on November 12th, 2009 at 5:03 pm said:

I think this is a cool idea, but $4 for ONE pinball table? Continuing the tradition of over-priced minis, I see…

+ GameBoss01 on November 12th, 2009 at 5:17 pm said:

The update is coming late today…

+ adventfire on November 12th, 2009 at 5:25 pm said:

what do mean “today” lol doesn’t it come late EVERY week?

+ adventfire on November 12th, 2009 at 5:27 pm said:

oops forgot the *you*

+ xMONOX1DEx on November 12th, 2009 at 5:27 pm said:

Hopefull it comes. instead not at all!!

+ gmk218 on November 12th, 2009 at 5:33 pm said:

where the heck id the new table for zen pinball announce 1 month ago they said it would be released before the end of last month very dissapointing

+ Fordhandsfree on November 12th, 2009 at 5:45 pm said:

clearly a wipeout table peeking out the back there in the vid :)

+ El_Flash on November 12th, 2009 at 5:47 pm said:

That Uncharted table looks pretty sweet, think i’m sold if they only would update….. 9 eastern time….

+ adventfire on November 12th, 2009 at 6:03 pm said:

Looking at the trailer again at the begining it does say own 5 of 5 and they only announced 4 tables and since you can clearly see the wipeout table in the choices, I would guess it either wasn’t ready on time or it still had some kinks to be worked out.

+ D34507 on November 12th, 2009 at 6:09 pm said:

Where’s the PS Store update?

+ amigaice2 on November 12th, 2009 at 6:11 pm said:

trophies on the PSP? did I read that right?

+ DZORMAGEN on November 12th, 2009 at 6:12 pm said:

LOL, Jason Coker, you are too funny! Belch the alphabet LMAO!!! Ok at least they are listening! That is always good, hey one more thing! This BLOG needs and EDIT feature, so when somebody miss-spells something they can go back and edit it! I hate miss-spelling words! LOVE SONY and THIS BLOG :)

+ curlygangsta on November 12th, 2009 at 6:12 pm said:

lool no update

+ mister1337 on November 12th, 2009 at 6:14 pm said:

Looks ‘spensive

+ DiscoJer on November 12th, 2009 at 6:16 pm said:

While I’m complaining grumpily, what’s the deal with 3 out of 4 tables being based on PS3 games?

Doesn’t Sony realize that the PSP actually has games of its own, and isn’t just a PS3 accessory (which seems to be how Sony thinks of the PSP, when it thinks of the PSP at all). And that many PSP owners (like me) don’t have a PS3, nor have any plans for a PS3 and thus stuff like this is wasted?

Granted, the PSP doesn’t have many original Sony IPs (thanks to its neglect of the device). But it does have a few. Loco Roco, Patapon. Jeanne D’Arc. And some cross platform games whose emphasis is on PSP – Syphon Filter (I guess future entries have been killed in favor of PS3 handme downs like Resistance Retribution)

+ INTVGene on November 12th, 2009 at 6:17 pm said:

Where’s the hell is the update?

+ Anubis80 on November 12th, 2009 at 6:18 pm said:

This would be nice to buy but of course Sony failed to update the store for NA yet again. This is really getting old Sony. The rest of the world got their update.

+ Monetep on November 12th, 2009 at 6:24 pm said:

Anubis80@
Well it’s because Braid it’s coming out, a good game must create expectation.

+ Knivez0r on November 12th, 2009 at 6:26 pm said:

@Anubis80

They’ve given us PS Store updates on Thursdays since the launch of Playstation 3. Why are you crying? Go do something else until its updated.

+ Anubis80 on November 12th, 2009 at 6:27 pm said:

@Monetep

I can careless for a game that finally after a year and some odd months finally gets ported to the PS3. There are other things that are releasing that I would much rather buy.

+ DrFish62 on November 12th, 2009 at 6:30 pm said:

How does the sideways play work if you’re using the PSP Go? Does it work at all?

Jason Coker's Avatar

+ Jason Coker on November 13th, 2009 at 10:10 am said:

DrFish,

You CAN play in portrait mode on a PSP Go, but it takes a little getting used to. Personally, I like playing with my go closed. You still have access to the flipper buttons, and it\’s nice and compact.

+ Ashtar on November 12th, 2009 at 6:40 pm said:

I have to say, as an east coaster, SCEA has really been dropping the ball as far as PSN goes. The past month you’ve waited until late in the night to update. It’s ridiculous. I know you guys work hard to get this stuff out and everything, but at least get some consistency down. I’m to the point where I don’t even feel like checking the store anymore.

Get you’re stuff together.

+ krae_man on November 12th, 2009 at 7:13 pm said:

Dont buy the $4 pinball tables. Buy pinball Hall of Fame instead. You get 11 tables for $10.

Dont support Overpricing that that.

All 4 boards should have been a $5 or $6 mini.

+ nixice on November 12th, 2009 at 8:06 pm said:

Neat idea for a simple little set of minigames. And I like that it’s modular but that all the different pinball games fit together with one boot-up. The physics look fairly realistic without being too fast, and I like the hardwood cut-out look of the tables.

Sometime down the road, I would definitely like to see the engine upgraded for MP3 play while in game, as some folks mentioned — I’m always looking for games that I can play while also running through my podcast collection. And a cheaper bundle would be good if future tables come out as a set — $4 isn’t too extravagant for a mini game like pinball, but if you want to collect these rather than bite into just one then that will begin to add up.

I’m eager to see what tables you guys do next. Resistance? Ratchet? Parappa? Patapon?

+ Deadpoolite on November 12th, 2009 at 8:19 pm said:

These look pretty cool. Can we expect any add-on content for each of the tables?

As for future tables I’d like to see a Buzz! table complete with trivia questions that you had to answer in order to earn score multipliers, an extra ball, or multi-ball. You could even have several of buzz’s game modes like final countdown or fastest finger. And of course you’d have to have quiz packs released as add-on content to make sure the questions don’t constantly get repeated…You’d probably have to charge more than $4 for this one.

+ KILLA_KING_007 on November 13th, 2009 at 2:17 am said:

im going to grab up uncharted 2 table most definitely for my 3000 3.99 cant beat that price w a stick keep em coming

+ hush404 on November 13th, 2009 at 6:28 am said:

:) I like the uncharted one and hope new boards come for other games I dig. Pain, bowling, golf etc excite me near zero… but whip up some R&C, maybe some Killzone, or infamous and you’ll have a fan who’ll keep on buying boards.

+ HongoXIII on November 13th, 2009 at 7:03 am said:

I just bought the Uncharted table and WOW. Fantasic so far. I’ll buy more tables later, but you guys nailed the physics down well, to almost perfection! I haven’t played a pinball game this good on a handheld since Pokemon Pinball on the Game Boy Color!

+ megamixer on November 13th, 2009 at 9:35 am said:

I’d like a LocoRoco board. Those lil guys and their world are ripe for pinball stylings. :)

@HongoXIII
Whoa there. Are these really Pokemon Pinball good? That’s a high standard to live up to. You shouldn’t namedrop it so lightly… but if true, sold!

+ jasonmc on November 13th, 2009 at 10:07 am said:

What’s up Coke!
It’s to bad I traded in my psp like 6 months ago. Now there is finally something worth playing on it and I don’t have it anymore! Good to see ya on the the blog again I was wondering what you were up to after you left PAIN. If I get a GO around christmas time these will be amoung my first downloads!

+ HongoXIII on November 13th, 2009 at 10:17 am said:

@Megamixer

Back in the day, Pokemon Pinball was the best handheld pinball game (not to mention fun with all of the features). These games are just as good, if not on par. The physics play out how they should and work well. For $3.99 a pop, I recommend at least 1 table. After that, if you like it, buy another (I bought the Hot Shots Golf table soon after).

So far, I have been playing these quite a bit this afternoon. I’m a sucker for good pinball games. I highly recommend these.

+ jeffsmither on November 13th, 2009 at 12:48 pm said:

Is there a chance you might make tables of other than games (like movies or tv shows)?

+ MutilatoRJuggalo on November 13th, 2009 at 3:08 pm said:

You got it!!!

+ MutilatoRJuggalo on November 13th, 2009 at 3:11 pm said:

Absolutely. I’ll find out for you asap! I’m not sure how to get you the info. I’ll get it to Travis, I’m sure he’ll pass it on. Take care man!

+ THE_LIGHT_05 on November 14th, 2009 at 9:15 am said:

Yo Coke drop a comment or 2 at the pain blog! They’ll be glad to hear from you!

+ BenD60O0 on November 14th, 2009 at 12:09 pm said:

I had a few bucks left on my PSN account left over from the Star Trek theme/Tetris, and decided to pick up the Uncharted table. A decision I do not regret! This is addictively fun, and I look forward to more tables.

That being said, I must agree with some other people and say that not every PSP user owns a PS3. I only bought the Uncharted table because I saw my friend play the game once, and I myself own the PSN version of the original Tomb Raider. I have no experience (and consequently, no interest) in the other tables.

For future table themes, may I suggest Patapon and/or Echochrome? Both have unique audio and visual styles to be taken advantage of. Other series could include Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, Syphon Filter, God of War, Resistance, Pursuit Force, Ape Escape, WiLD ARMS, LittleBig Planet, and probably more that I’m forgetting.

+ jordan199311 on November 14th, 2009 at 1:04 pm said:

Hey, i bought the PAIN table and it’s GREAT! I little suggestion though, make it so when u hold the PSP vertically you use the up and down buttons for the bumpers so u can use the thumb stick to tilt!

PAGE 1 2