PS4-The Order

Behind the Scenes with God of War Collection – Developer Commentary

Chris Morell's Avatar + Posted by Chris Morell on Nov 16, 2009 // Senior Social Media Specialist

One day. That’s all there’s left to wait until you’ll be slashing it up with your Blades of Chaos, soaking up orbs and hording Trophies like nobody’s business in God of War Collection. So to get you riled up while you wait, we have a very cool treat — a director’s commentary-style video with the team(s) behind this incredibly impressive remastered Blu-ray collection that includes God of War and God of War II in glorious HD, along with two full sets of Trophies and more.

Joining me via PlayStation Eye is developer Bluepoint Games President Andy O’Neil and CTO Marco Thrush, along with Santa Monica Studios Director of Technology Tim Moss. The trio dishes over five brand-new minutes of HD footage, revealing some great info on the development of God of War Collection and how they made the magic happen.

49 Comments

+ Destiny89 on November 16th, 2009 at 12:14 pm said:

Cant wait to get this tomorrow :)

+ Scodo_Thope on November 16th, 2009 at 12:15 pm said:

I have the PS2 versions, but these HD remixes with the Demo for GOW3.

How could I pass it up?

+ poodude on November 16th, 2009 at 12:16 pm said:

I’ll be picking this and LBP PSP up tomorrow. Too many games, I’ve barely even started Demon’s Souls & Dragon Age, now I have this to get play.

+ poodude on November 16th, 2009 at 12:16 pm said:

I mean “to play” not “to get play” We really need a comment editor.

+ PatriotEyez27 on November 16th, 2009 at 12:17 pm said:

Can’t wait to get my copy xD

+ STIFF1 on November 16th, 2009 at 12:29 pm said:

Still debating whether to part with my moldy money on this collection. This may have to be put on the back burner until I get bored with Uncharted 2 and MW2.

+ LRGKING on November 16th, 2009 at 12:30 pm said:

One day left for my birthday!! WOooot!
And one day left until I get to fight with Kratos yet again…except this time its in HD =D

+ Firelogic on November 16th, 2009 at 12:31 pm said:

Did he say he was impressed that they got a 1080p mode running?

+ Firelogic on November 16th, 2009 at 12:32 pm said:

Did he say he was impressed they got a 1080p mode running?

+ LokeSTL on November 16th, 2009 at 12:35 pm said:

Can’t wait to get mine. Unfortunately, Amazon was unnable to get confirmation for early delivery from the publisher(you guys). That means that they couldn’t offer Release Day Delivery to their customers and I won’t get to play it until Thursday at the earliest. Oh well, I waited this long. I guess another couple of days isn’t going to kill me. Aaaaaaghhhh!

+ rotary08 on November 16th, 2009 at 12:36 pm said:

Looking forward to it.

+ plaztiksyke on November 16th, 2009 at 12:37 pm said:

Pre-ordered mine from Amazon.com a few months ago :)

Some questions:
1. It’s nice to hear the palettized textures were tossed and the original uncompressed assets were used. Were you also able to use those assets in their original high resolution, rather than the down-res’d PS2 versions?

2. Were you able to ditch the lossy audio from the original and package the original lossless assets?

3. What what the hardest programming aspect of converting the game?

4. Were you able to put anything onto the SPUs besides FSAA?

5. If you could’ve done one more thingsbefore you shipped, what would it be? If there was one thing you should have left out, what was it?

6. Why weren’t the cut-scenes based on in-game assets re-rendered? Or the other cut-scenes?

7. What were the remaining barriers to making the game run in 1080p @ 60fps?

8. What kind of non-trophy bugs came up in testing the conversion? Any themes of bug types (Floating point accuracy differences, for instance)?

Thanks in advance for answering questions! :)

+ tenshin78 on November 16th, 2009 at 12:39 pm said:

I was holding my money on this one since I got both GOW on my trusty ps2, but what the hell! I will purchase this EPIC collection and enjoy it again on my shiny PS3 in HD, this is so cool form the guys at Santa Monica Studios that the ACTUALLY listen to the fans and DELIVER, standing ovation here!

+ JMILLZ22 on November 16th, 2009 at 12:42 pm said:

The only problem with this is the cut scenes were not updated to 720p so they are the same cut scenes from the original ps2 games.

+ Irishmandkg on November 16th, 2009 at 12:42 pm said:

cool. SO any news this week on a possible firmware update?…..xgc….

+ xeno3d on November 16th, 2009 at 12:44 pm said:

So, is tomrrow the actual street date?

+ KidCommando on November 16th, 2009 at 12:48 pm said:

The collection is already paid for.

I have played the GoW III demo multiple times now and I have no doubts the full game is going to be amazing!

This collection re-release is a great idea, I hope more top notch games will get the same treatment. ICO and SotC should be next in case you guys didn’t hear us before. :)

+ QCVic on November 16th, 2009 at 12:51 pm said:

I can’t wait until tomorrow. Time for the end to begin again.

+ DoctorJJ on November 16th, 2009 at 12:56 pm said:

Fixed a buddy’s computer so he’s buying this for me! Woot!

+ lostinplainsight on November 16th, 2009 at 12:57 pm said:

hey give us a break some of us have christmas shopping to do I can’t afford all this awesome. have some compassion on a mans wallet.

ac2
ratchet and clank
gow collection
demon souls
uncharted 2
maybe i will cancel christmas. sorry kids

+ Korbei83 on November 16th, 2009 at 1:00 pm said:

Hopefully this will be in my box on Wednesday. :)

+ Ejsponge61 on November 16th, 2009 at 1:01 pm said:

Can’t wait! Glad to see Sony making all of these good decisions. First this, then AdHoc Party, keep up the good work!

+ Moosehole on November 16th, 2009 at 1:12 pm said:

Awesome can’t wait to play it but unfortunately it won’t be tomorrow…

I preordered this from Amazon with overnight delivery and it still says I won’t be getting it ’till Thursday…

Guess you guys were a little late shipping this one out, huh?

+ westendmatt on November 16th, 2009 at 1:15 pm said:

Having never played these when they were originally released, I;m stoked they’re being re-released on the PS3 in HD. I was about to pick up the PS2 versions as my PS3 is B/C bubt playing them re-mastered with trophies is the way to go. Also, I just picked up Chains of Olympus on my PSP and am blown away with the game play! God Of War 3 is going to be the greatest bloody thing ever!!! Can;t wait!

+ poweredbyzen on November 16th, 2009 at 1:17 pm said:

50+ hours into dragon age and now this?! assassin’s creed out tomorrow and then there’s bloodlines for the psp – i wish there was another me to play these games! can someone actually be overwhelmed with games?! eek!

+ Netweb on November 16th, 2009 at 1:30 pm said:

How works the save game system?

Please i wanna know :)

+ DVD_Sandwich on November 16th, 2009 at 1:41 pm said:

Too bad the collection comes out the same day as Assassin’s Creed II and AC: Bloodlines. Unfortunately it will have to wait. I’ll definitely get it before GOW3 comes out, though.

+ Wollan on November 16th, 2009 at 1:41 pm said:

Around the 5m 10sec part 1080p mode is mentioned.

Is this a native 1080p mode (the game rendering 1920x1080pixels) you managed to squeeze in right at the end or do you mean that it supports upscaling to 1080p?

My native language is not English and that part put me off some. Need clarification please (already seen this posted on one big forum).

+ lostinplainsight on November 16th, 2009 at 2:04 pm said:

I asked this question before it never got answered the orb issue in gow2 on titan mode when you kill enemies with a big combo or open a chest you get what looks like a lot of orbs but it only registers as two or three has it been fixed?

+ xaos on November 16th, 2009 at 2:54 pm said:

@lostplainsight, it’s not a bug. In Titan mode, part of the increased difficulty is getting fewer orbs to upgrade your weapons and skills.

+ angelspawn77 on November 16th, 2009 at 3:01 pm said:

YES!! tomorrow i shall re-experience epicness for around 8th time(combined GOW 1 & 2) in HD!!!

+ DZORMAGEN on November 16th, 2009 at 3:06 pm said:

I don’t want to sound a trophy whore, but trophies are one reason why I am buying these again (I own both games on PS2, and have a 60 GB PS3), I don’t care what anyone says, but it add so much more replay value to games. Also the HD part is really awesome! Thank you Sony, I will buy this game on Tuesday!!

Hey one more thing, add Kratos as a PAIN ADD-ON, it would be really awesome!!

+ angelspawn77 on November 16th, 2009 at 3:15 pm said:

the video is VERY choppy, is it just me or anyone else experiencing it as well?

+ Kchow23 on November 16th, 2009 at 3:53 pm said:

definitely getting this tmr! GOW FTW

+ Bareen1337 on November 16th, 2009 at 4:26 pm said:

Getting this tmrow. looks sweet. played through both gow1 and 2 this weekend.

@Netweb: the game saving system most likely works the same as any other ps3 title. i doubt that they did the internal memory card thing like the ps3 has for ps1 titles on account of not having many other ps2 games for the ps3.

+ Remmulak on November 16th, 2009 at 4:37 pm said:

Unfortunately, the game is not going to be in stores until Wednesday. Both Best Buy and ebGames have told me this. I am in Canada.

+ ultimatepunchrod on November 16th, 2009 at 6:00 pm said:

i think its awesome that they did this with the video conference feature of the ps3. thats so cool. this collection looks amazingly good and im glad they took the time to do it.

+ midnightshade on November 16th, 2009 at 6:07 pm said:

Damn… I bought a PS2 back in the spring when Sony did the price drop as I was strictly pc last gen(ps1 before that, but since Playstation got pushed into the hd resolution realm, I had to get a ps3… I missed out on a bunch of games from last gen though, like gow..so I bought 30 some games when i bought the ps2(and it totaled under $350..9years after release will do that) I played half way through gow1 and loved it, but never finished and never got to play through gow2 due to the ps3 games coming out.. i am trading the 2 ps2 gows in and getting this.

For someone like me who skipped consoles last gen, this is a real treat. Now you need to make a Final Fantasy collection, ICO collection, GTA collection, Suikoden Collection, Grandia Collection, MGS Collection, Devil may cry collection, Ratchet, Jak collections, Silent Hill collection, Persona Collection… And i will buy, i will gladly pay for these on day 1, any of them or anymore you guys can think of. I think this is a great way for us to enjoy the classics and for Sony to make some money. It’s a win win!!!

+ JJfutbol on November 16th, 2009 at 8:44 pm said:

Oh yes, this looks great, can’t wait to play it! Have to agree with @midnightshade I’m definitely looking forward to other collections so if you are paying attention Sony keep them coming! I’d love to see a Ratchet and Clank collection with all the PS2 games in HD, and Final Fantasy X or XII!! Oh and how you brought up Grandia brought some nice memories. :) Would love to play through Grandia II again. No BC on my system sadly so I’d be more than happy to pay for more collections!

+ woth28 on November 16th, 2009 at 10:32 pm said:

Gee, spent a lot on games lately: Uncharted2, Bayonetta (import), MW2, ordered FF13 (import). I really want to get this one, and maybe AC2 as well, but just have to wait not only a bit short of cash, but also no time while levelling up in MW2.

+ AceOfSpades725 on November 16th, 2009 at 11:21 pm said:

Can’t wait to pick this up! :D

+ KnightRid on November 17th, 2009 at 5:51 am said:

Wife closes tonight so I wont have it till late :( I cant wait!

I put a second vote for Ratchet and Clank in HD on the PS3 – a Crack in Time was awesome – too damn hard for the gold bolts in the clock though! Still havent gotten all them :p

+ pigmak on November 17th, 2009 at 7:44 am said:

GOW COLLECTION NOT IN STORES TODAT?BS
Yesterday it was listed on the Walmart website, today, not, so after I checked Walmart and Target, I went to Gamestop, waiting for it to open, went in, saw the case, said AVAILABLE NOW, stood in line, then found out it will be out TOMORROW!…Is this accurate?…….Thanks for wasting my time and money Sony, that is a bunch of bull.

+ pigmak on November 17th, 2009 at 8:08 am said:

Wish I came here before I left…and read #10….great

+ ElektroDragon on November 17th, 2009 at 9:55 am said:

Thanks so much AMAZON…. not shipping till the 19th, and I’m not sure this ever had the release day delivery, so even with Prime, I’m not playing this until next MONDAY! :(

+ Darksider71 on November 17th, 2009 at 11:54 am said:

Wow, even Sony’s own employees don’t know the difference between a ship date and a street date. Maybe somebody needs to go back to school and learn how to do research. I still love Sony, but what a blunder!

+ StealthBlade98 on November 17th, 2009 at 9:38 pm said:

Come on Sony. I went to get the copy today and they told me you didn’t ship ENOUGH copies to the stores? IS THIS TRUE?!?!

Normally I’m cool about it but damn that’s a terrible mistake. :(

+ K-grim on November 25th, 2009 at 8:39 am said:

man
i ordered it from Bolha for 55 euros, they said its gona arrive in a week, its 3 days left right now, and i dont know if i can wait 3 more days
just so you guys know 55 euros is about 78 dolars
plus im gona have to pay extra for shipping

+ Thrill_Kill on December 7th, 2009 at 2:27 am said:

GOW1 on the GOW Collection disc, has a flaw that is driving me CRAZY! The music is overlapping from the Atlas section all the way through to the end of the game! Even exiting to the title screen does not fix this problem! (I use the original 60GB PS3 with newest firmware, in case your wondering)

How on earth do you expect me to try over and over to beat the game in under 5 hours (trying to get that gold trophy) if I have to listen to 3 different songs at the same time while I am playing the game??? Its driving me nuts, and I cannot for the life of me, understand HOW ON EARTH this got past your testing team. For the love of god, please fix this bug asap!

Also, I beat the game in 5 hours 4 minutes …. = no trophy for me! :( Talk about feeling ripped off!

And can you PLEASE add an option to skip the cut scenes in these games!? You don’t know how annoying it is to sit there and be forced to watch the same videos over and over and over trying to get these trophies…..oh god! oh God of War HELP ME! Ares!!! Come forth and get these developers in gear, and my life is yours!!!