No Man's Sky

PlayStation 3 Firmware (v3.10) Update Preview

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Nov 16, 2009 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

Hi everyone, here’s an early peek at PlayStation 3 (PS3) firmware update (v3.10). The latest update incorporates Facebook into the PS3 experience. By linking your PlayStation Network account to your Facebook account, you will have the option for the PS3 to automatically update your Facebook News Feed with Trophy and PlayStation Store activity. This update also enables developers to set specific criteria in their titles to publish additional game information to your News Feed. You can then check out your updates, and those of your friends, on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media favorites through the PS3′s built-in web browser.

This is just the beginning of our integration with Facebook and we are looking forward to adding new features enhancing the experience in future updates.

Additional highlights from update 3.10 include:

• The Photo category on the XMB has been revamped to make it easier to see more of your photos stored on the PS3.
  • The PSN Friends List has been modified based on feedback we received after update 3.00. Additionally, you can now choose a color for your PSN ID on the XMB.

To get a preview of what’s coming in update 3.10, check out the video below:

We’re looking forward to releasing firmware update 3.10 soon. As always, we appreciate your feedback.

1,272 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4 26

+ Tr3p1dat10n on November 16th, 2009 at 6:26 pm said:

YAYAYAY! Sounds cool, any ETA for the arrival?

+ AceOfSpades725 on November 16th, 2009 at 6:26 pm said:

Sounds Great!

love the implication of Facebook! and it’s going to be even better when more features are added!

+ packy17 on November 16th, 2009 at 6:26 pm said:

So either the ND dev was misinformed or you decided not to incorporate X-game chat?

It would be silly to pull this amazing feature just because a dev leaked it’s existence. Shame, I was really looking forward to that.

+ HongoXIII on November 16th, 2009 at 6:26 pm said:

Looks fantastic as always. Never any complaints from me.

+ Zaiah777 on November 16th, 2009 at 6:26 pm said:

Awesome!!! i Like the ability to change the color of the PSN Card thing. A few questions Will we be able to upload photos from the XMB to our facebooks? Will we be able to make a Facebook account from the PS3 XMB rather than a pc?

It would would be really cool to bring skype to the ps3, then ps3 users can communicate with psp skype users and pc users as well. Can’t w8 4 teh update.

+ Axshunman on November 16th, 2009 at 6:26 pm said:

Very good. Im glad the actual gamers are being listened to even in the slightest now. giving the people who play what they ask for or at least try to. Street Fighters people are doing and thanksfully so is Sonys people… Now If we could only get financial institutions to budge and listen, lol.

+ WackyWeedCreed on November 16th, 2009 at 6:26 pm said:

Thank you so much for listening to the community!
Glad to see such a massive company actual care what their users and the consumers want.

Really digging the new Photo organization, VERY convenient.

+ DMPrince on November 16th, 2009 at 6:27 pm said:

WTF is this crap. Where’s the In-game Voice Chat. Useless update as usual. Trying to keep us distracted.

+ HatmanTc on November 16th, 2009 at 6:28 pm said:

do hate how your updates/surprise news get spoiled by leaks online. it takes some of the coolness factor out of this.

+ remanutd5 on November 16th, 2009 at 6:28 pm said:

the gray boxes need to disappear Eric , please make it happen

+ Janks01 on November 16th, 2009 at 6:28 pm said:

can we at least get a time-frame on cross game chat?

the only response we get is “were looking into it”

+ Destiny89 on November 16th, 2009 at 6:29 pm said:

Woow thank you sony, this is awesome!

+ Goaliegeek on November 16th, 2009 at 6:30 pm said:

AWESOME! Thanks Eric and the PS team! Love the Photos update. Facebook should be cool. So it will update every time I get a trophy, or do it once a week? I sync all the time, so will I have multiple posts say if I get a trophy in AC2 then a few in LBP? THANK YOU for the friends list update. I like the 25% opacity it has now and the disappearance of the box when friend isn’t selected. removes clutter. Can’t wait! Will 3.10 also have turn ticker off feature? Where’s updated/dynamic avatars btw?!?!?!?!?

+ clupula668 on November 16th, 2009 at 6:31 pm said:

I certainly hope you’ll never be able to delete your trophies. It would render them meaningless.

Nice update. Now, all my cool friends can tell what a nerd I am whenever I earn a trophy. LOL

Seriously, though, I really like the new format of the photos. I have actually been wishing the games and videos could be in the same format.

+ morrislevy on November 16th, 2009 at 6:31 pm said:

More importantly, please Sony hear me out. I have modified my PS3 to have a 500GB HDD, thus I do not care about size when downloading content. However, I *do* care about duplicate files, such as videos and images (backgrounds). Can you please add PSN Store support to show that this content has been downloaded, and you own it, or have downloaded it in the past. It would make life a lot easier, not to mention the amount of work on your servers with the outgoing files! Thank you so much in advance.

Best Regards,
– Morris

+ darkclouds01 on November 16th, 2009 at 6:31 pm said:

Nice work Eric. You guys are doing a good job. I have a favor to ask. Can you please allow music playback on the ps3 while comparing trophies or looking at player profiles. Also, going through the setting menu. The music playback should not stop when I access the features. Thanks again.

+ oneluckybullet on November 16th, 2009 at 6:31 pm said:

ok nice copy of microsoft but i could give a crap about this, where is the freaking party chat? i mean ps3 says it can do everything but it doesnt even have one feature that makes playing online with your friends enjoyable. i mean dont get me wrong i love my ps3 and my 360 but it would be nice if sony is going to copy ms on things that they pick some of the really good stuff instead of twitter and facebook stuff

+ stlcardinal9 on November 16th, 2009 at 6:32 pm said:

dumbest update EVER!!!

+ HatmanTc on November 16th, 2009 at 6:32 pm said:

@53 he did say there are other features to this update that havent been announced yet and wont be announced until the launch of the update. but when looking at the friendslist it doesnt have a new chat icon. unless theres a voice chat icon above it.

+ morrislevy on November 16th, 2009 at 6:32 pm said:

Idea: Also incorporate Twitter into the user GUI as for social networking updates?

+ Vengeful-Chaos on November 16th, 2009 at 6:32 pm said:

Thanks for fixing the friends list, can you remove the extra PS store icons? I don’t think we need that many.

+ guitarman3210 on November 16th, 2009 at 6:33 pm said:

Not what I was waiting for but a good step forward. Here’s a list just to remind you guys:
- Cross-game-chat(Skype?)
- Revamped web-browser(in-game would be nice)
- Internet radio (Pandora?)
- IM Clients(AIM,Yahoo,MSN,etc..)

=D

+ Will0928 on November 16th, 2009 at 6:33 pm said:

Where is cross game chat? I hate to just repeat what other people are saying but in this case it really does bare repeating. These new features are nice and all but that feature should be the top priority for firmware developers.

+ Zonified on November 16th, 2009 at 6:33 pm said:

Looking good so far. Now, what about those new avatars we were promissed?

+ ProwlingFox on November 16th, 2009 at 6:33 pm said:

JERKS. We want the software-based Emotion Engine Emulation that we KNOW you guys have patented!

+ AniZeke on November 16th, 2009 at 6:34 pm said:

cross game chat? ;_;

+ Gotti_G10 on November 16th, 2009 at 6:34 pm said:

Nice Update……
BUT WHERE THE HECK IS CROSS GAME CHAT?????

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR EVVVVVEEEEEERRR

+ morrislevy on November 16th, 2009 at 6:34 pm said:

Dear Sony Development Team,

Idea: Also incorporate Twitter into the user GUI for social networking updates in the future. I think this will be outgrowing Facebook in the near future as far as usage and amount of users.

+ PlasmaGlory on November 16th, 2009 at 6:35 pm said:

Thank you.

+ bolbgt on November 16th, 2009 at 6:35 pm said:

Any idea when they are going to add a Universal Memory Manager since you can’t manage all your memory in one place and fix how you can’t delete individual DLC for each game.

How about a fix for how you the only way to organize photos and games in ALBUMS is to type in the cAsE-SeNsiTiVe album name for EACH file?

What about support for sub folders intergration on external devices like what you add on the PSP?
!!!!!!

+ mixmac38 on November 16th, 2009 at 6:35 pm said:

Just thought id ask if there will ever be an update for screen capture built into the ps3 OS?

If Bungie could add it to Halo 3, surly Sony could make it part of the ps3′s OS.

+ JokerJokes on November 16th, 2009 at 6:36 pm said:

Yea like everyone has been saying… T__T come on blow the damn Xbox out the water….. just do what they doing but better…. and for free and get more customers and get these game developers to know u the best and make bigger better games that only ps3 can handle….. and make sony top gun once again!!! :D

+ Boricua_012 on November 16th, 2009 at 6:36 pm said:

Facebook? Why not twitter?:/

+ drdre74 on November 16th, 2009 at 6:36 pm said:

will this update fix the issuer where you can;t sync you’re trophies? Mine goes to 10% and then i get a error. I looked online and saw alot of people are having the issue also. Think mine started about when i got MW2 because it was fine when I bought Uncharted 2.

+ Darnell0216 on November 16th, 2009 at 6:36 pm said:

Update looks awesome. Hopefully soon we can expect Twitter as well. I actually expected that one first since it went so well with Uncharted2. It will be interesting to see how the future plans for FB integration turn out though.

+ iExile on November 16th, 2009 at 6:37 pm said:

Still no new avatars? Lol this is just sad now. What is so damned hard about getting us some new avatars? You know what’s even worse? We were PROMISED new avatars shortly into update 3.00 and what do we have now? The same avatars we had 2 years ago. Absolutely disgusting.

+ NeoHumpty on November 16th, 2009 at 6:37 pm said:

lol. Nice for some people. I do not need my boss being updated with all my gaming time, though. Especially on my “sick days”. I would love to see you guys make a way for me to listen to “Pandora” while I play my games, though.

+ shelmoon on November 16th, 2009 at 6:37 pm said:

can’t wait for that cross chat thing

and there should be a button that brings you straight to your facebook account/twitter account

+ Helghast_Assault on November 16th, 2009 at 6:38 pm said:

please sony just add the cross game chat already
people are just gonna think psn is useless and crap without it
i know you guys are working on it right now
but hurry up and fix all the bugs and release it already
this is soemthing this console NEEDS
c’mon sony

+ gekko1986 on November 16th, 2009 at 6:38 pm said:

Friends list should show customizable trophy info. When you scroll through players met you should be able to see trophy info. No new avatars is mind boggling. All games need in game music not just leaving it up to the devs. Hope the smaller font is back as well. Plus small annoyance is a patch I downloaded while playing Wipeout HD demo it gave me a trophy file so now I can’t do anything with it.

+ MonkeyGibber on November 16th, 2009 at 6:38 pm said:

When will we be able to create an album or playlist using files on an external device? I have a 1 tb usb drive connected to my PS3 but to have a playlist the music has to be on the PS3 drive itself…why?

+ guy209 on November 16th, 2009 at 6:38 pm said:

Great job Sony. Its great to hear that ur listening to our feadback. I like the facebook intergration. No offense but those ppl who say that this sux probably dnt hve any friends to tlk 2. Anyways great update, any word on cross game chat/invites?

+ I_am_rushin on November 16th, 2009 at 6:38 pm said:

Sweet! As always thanks for the new features.

+ Neil on November 16th, 2009 at 6:39 pm said:

Nice update. I don’t even have a Facebook account but it’s nice to see Sony keeping parity with MS.

+ AzixTGO on November 16th, 2009 at 6:39 pm said:

Not impressed

+ Explosion2 on November 16th, 2009 at 6:39 pm said:

Awesome. Nice update.

+ Stoffinator on November 16th, 2009 at 6:41 pm said:

To bad the Facebook app isn’t part of the XMB. The browser isn’t really the best around for doing such.

+ Red-Blitz on November 16th, 2009 at 6:42 pm said:

CROSS GAME CHAAAATTTTTTTTTTT

+ tirminyl on November 16th, 2009 at 6:42 pm said:

Eric- Any plans to allow auto-syncing of trophy data? Manually syncing is really not the best implementation for the end-user.

+ biggie2316 on November 16th, 2009 at 6:43 pm said:

when are we going to be able to watch flash material video. I can’t go to apple store and watch movie trailers because it doesn’t support. Look I love Sony but when are we going to stop with the picture updates and changing color to being able to actually use the browser and watch some videos

PAGE 1 2 3 4 26