Bloodborne

PlayStation 3 Firmware (v3.10) Update Preview

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Nov 16, 2009 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

Hi everyone, here’s an early peek at PlayStation 3 (PS3) firmware update (v3.10). The latest update incorporates Facebook into the PS3 experience. By linking your PlayStation Network account to your Facebook account, you will have the option for the PS3 to automatically update your Facebook News Feed with Trophy and PlayStation Store activity. This update also enables developers to set specific criteria in their titles to publish additional game information to your News Feed. You can then check out your updates, and those of your friends, on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media favorites through the PS3’s built-in web browser.

This is just the beginning of our integration with Facebook and we are looking forward to adding new features enhancing the experience in future updates.

Additional highlights from update 3.10 include:

• The Photo category on the XMB has been revamped to make it easier to see more of your photos stored on the PS3.
  • The PSN Friends List has been modified based on feedback we received after update 3.00. Additionally, you can now choose a color for your PSN ID on the XMB.

To get a preview of what’s coming in update 3.10, check out the video below:

We’re looking forward to releasing firmware update 3.10 soon. As always, we appreciate your feedback.

1,272 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 26

+ Trigg on November 16th, 2009 at 6:43 pm said:

-Cross game chat
-universal in-game music

+ twooh on November 16th, 2009 at 6:43 pm said:

Since I don’t use facebook~

Can I request internet radio like the psp has? Figured I would get a new request going to keep you guys busy. :p

+ bbd23 on November 16th, 2009 at 6:43 pm said:

OMG you guys truely do listen! took a while but you listened! cant wait

+ bob52 on November 16th, 2009 at 6:44 pm said:

Can you guys make the sparkle on the xmb optional as nice as it looks I prefer the older cleaner look butbi am sure other people enjoy the sparkles so if you could make optional wud be appreciated

+ Xixiz on November 16th, 2009 at 6:44 pm said:

I really dont want to sound negative,

but where is cross game voice chat. I was expecting that. I only do facebook on my pc where it belongs.

+ JuanPARADOX on November 16th, 2009 at 6:44 pm said:

i can understand the change of the boxes around the names but who asked for different colors? or facebook integration? are you guys listening to what we say? lol

+ Uraizen on November 16th, 2009 at 6:45 pm said:

Feedback? Only comment I can make is allowing you to make your friends a universal color of your choosing when highlighted.

+ benslancer on November 16th, 2009 at 6:45 pm said:

WOrd, now i can check my stuff when i’m away from the cpu!

+ Koneesha on November 16th, 2009 at 6:46 pm said:

Eric, when are we going to get FULL Custom Soundtracks. I would really like this feature and many others would too.

+ Helghast_Assault on November 16th, 2009 at 6:46 pm said:

although i do like the photos and the new friends list ideas
we still need the cross game chat

+ edyrfaciola on November 16th, 2009 at 6:46 pm said:

Hey Eric, nice update, is good to see the PS3 having, each time more cool stuff.
What about Twitter?
What about Skype, Sense Me, RSS Feed and Internet Radio just like the PSP. huh?
and what about more visualisations to the Music Player(only 3)

+ Insomnia999 on November 16th, 2009 at 6:46 pm said:

Trophies should sync automatically.

Make all future games have the xmb invite/follow functionality that MW2 has!!!

Good update overall.

-We still want in-game chat!

+ keisukeMamoru86 on November 16th, 2009 at 6:47 pm said:

Is Twitter integration on the way? I imagine it would be easier/simpler to integrate with Twitter than Facebook. Both are excellent social networking services that should be on the PSN together. And nice job with the friends list redesign! Can’t wait to use the update!

Oh, (insert obligatory Cross Game Chat request here) ;)

+ FOXDIE040147 on November 16th, 2009 at 6:47 pm said:

sounds like a good update, now we just need cross-game chat and full backwards compatiblity…

+ lazlowe1984 on November 16th, 2009 at 6:47 pm said:

When can we get Cross Game Voice Chat? It actually enhances the PSN community and could greatly help all PS3 users consider getting headsets.

+ starboy11 on November 16th, 2009 at 6:47 pm said:

when can i expect this to be out Eric

+ twooh on November 16th, 2009 at 6:47 pm said:

@103

You can do that in theme settings.

+ BiezulbubBill69 on November 16th, 2009 at 6:48 pm said:

No cross-game voice chat yet? This update = garbage IMO.

+ BrokenDesign on November 16th, 2009 at 6:48 pm said:

It would be nice to have some in-line information about friends like trophies and such instead of clicking on their names and I don’t especially think that the color selection is necessary, but it’s a tremendous improvement over the 3.0 appearance, so kudos!

+ RedHawk27 on November 16th, 2009 at 6:49 pm said:

Being able to delete games that have 0% trophies or them simply not showing up in the list would be awesome. Also please add black to the XMB color chooser, it can’t be that hard it turns black at night.

+ MiChAeL6 on November 16th, 2009 at 6:49 pm said:

Cool but I hope we get cross game chat asap

+ JohnnyAstro on November 16th, 2009 at 6:49 pm said:

Is there any chance that 3.10 will fix all the blu-ray drives out there that update 3.01 broke?

+ Aus10_ on November 16th, 2009 at 6:49 pm said:

Still not updating from firmware 2.8. Make all the changes optional please.

+ theBedBurner on November 16th, 2009 at 6:49 pm said:

Still need to remove the ticker in the top right, please.

+ Eskimo_Snow on November 16th, 2009 at 6:50 pm said:

Twitter integration would be nice, you know everyone uses it! :]

+ Vanquish23 on November 16th, 2009 at 6:50 pm said:

– Very well done Sony PlayStation team! —

I very much appreciate the new Photo layout, that one not many of us had pointed out, but should’ve been implemented from the beginning. Smart. Also, the changes made to the friend list in addition to the color customization was well done. It looks MUCH better now that only 1 Friend’s box is highlighted at a time. Facebook integration is a nice touch.

Please continue to work on the following:
– Smaller, more refined font size option
– Ability to rename the Folder or File names for multiple photos or audio files at once
– New avatars (seriously, this shouldn’t be that difficult. And pre-schoolers could be more creative with some of the avatar designs available to us now).
– Fix the Status Indicator in the top-right corner (doesn’t display # of unread messages correctly)
– Fix or move the PS3 Bluetooth Indicator to a different location, as it interferes with the regular display indicator

(I understand now why we no longer have the PLAYSTATION boot-up chime when we start games. It looks like that PLAYSTATION Spider-man font logo has been deceased! Replaced by the new curvy PS3 logo! Right?)

+ TenAkuma on November 16th, 2009 at 6:50 pm said:

+ TenAkuma on November 16th, 2009 at 6:50 pm said:

Facebook’s nice, I suppose. But I would like to see some cross-game voicechat if possible. Using the bluetooth on Uncharted 2 co-op got me addicted to voicechatting on my PS3. Would be nice to be able to talk to Blue Phantoms while playing Demon’s Souls.

+ Royalknight6190 on November 16th, 2009 at 6:50 pm said:

That is awesome, keep bringing great extra content that Xbox 360 Gold members have to pay for. When will they ever learn.

+ BlingOnMyWrist on November 16th, 2009 at 6:51 pm said:

“We’ve given developers the ability…” AKA “We won’t be seeing much of this feature.”

Kind of like in-game soudtracks.

I will say though, I really like the photo option, and ESPECIALLY the friends list colors and not having to see those horrendous boxes.

+ Chaos_Bladez on November 16th, 2009 at 6:51 pm said:

Sweet. I hope it hits tonight. :)

+ sssmg187 on November 16th, 2009 at 6:52 pm said:

Not impressed. It’s understandable that you think you need to add Facebook since the 360 has it, but there are more important features you should be trying to match:

– Cross-game chat
– Simple text chat improvements. For example, if I hit the PS button while my friend’s message notification is on screen, I should be taken directly to his message.
– Mandatory feature support from developers (Players Met, XMB Friends, rich presence, and etc.) Why make your engineers implement features that developers don’t have to use?
– Mandatory PSN game demos
– Ability to bring up XMB while watching a Bluray
– Support for more than one player to be signed into PSN at the same time on the same console.

+ mafecto on November 16th, 2009 at 6:52 pm said:

So, if you don’t do facebook, you’re then risking a ton of firmware related problems for some photo organizing and PSN ID colors?
Great…I think.

Can’t you guys wait on firmware updates until there is a wealth of new features and content to put up at once? Just saying.

Anywho, hate to sound too negative. Keep up the good work regardless.

+ BOOM_BAM_POW on November 16th, 2009 at 6:53 pm said:

SONY LISTEN TO WHAT WE HAVE AnD HAD BEEN ASKING FOR!!!! PLEASE

(there are no swears in this comment)

HI im bam boom pow…… oh yes we definatley needed that facebook app….. ok I admit this is a disapoinment.. I would rather have CROSS TITlE CHAT alone!!! GOD remember that trailer where it shows people playing warhawk and they had psi’s and the people were showed on the top right of the screen while playing the game……. Isnt that the original plan CROS TITLE CHAT!!! GOSH!! I am disapointed…. Hopefully for the next update we will have cross title chat… period. sorry if I put it a little to hard on you guys BUT SERIOSLY all we want* was ctc **period**

+ echogridlock on November 16th, 2009 at 6:53 pm said:

I actually can not get Facebook to load onto my PS3 web browser. Every time I try it freezes up my browser then when I go to exit my browser it freezes up my PS3 not allowing me to access the menu. It wont allow me to turn off the PS3 via my controller. I have to hold down the power and reboot EVERY TIME! Ive been trying to get into Facebook all year but no success yet.

+ luvsanimals07 on November 16th, 2009 at 6:53 pm said:

where can we post feedback? cuz i find this update with FB kinda pointless.
why not make it where u can upload ur own avatar?

+ Cardinell86 on November 16th, 2009 at 6:54 pm said:

AVATARS, IN GAME CHAT (my headset has been sitting in it’s cradle doin F* all)… AND METAL GEAR SOLID 4 TROPHIES! U GUYS KEEP DELAYING I AM STARTING TO MISS MY 360 LOL

+ lanceurdehache on November 16th, 2009 at 6:54 pm said:

nice but why you can give us the option the remove those box ?

+ Trigg on November 16th, 2009 at 6:54 pm said:

-Cross game voice chat
-Universal in-game music
-Internet radio
-Appear offline
-Ability to deactivate all systems from account management

+ gold5225 on November 16th, 2009 at 6:54 pm said:

Thanks Guys at the PSN firmware updates team. Just keep cranking out good stuff like this and also cross game chat. And I will be a happy customer, I really Like UI updates because they give you a greater feeling on how the system is actually evolving

+ playbozooki on November 16th, 2009 at 6:55 pm said:

very nice sony, this update is great but I still feel that we need XGC, a better music system and the ability to play music in any game, no matter what.

but otherwise, very nice update!

+ RPKK on November 16th, 2009 at 6:56 pm said:

How about updating the web browser while you’re at it? :)

+ VeniDormi on November 16th, 2009 at 6:56 pm said:

Nice work on the new firmware, Eric. I think the friend list especially will look much better with only the “active” friend highlighted.

Currently, my most-wanted feature is a way to transfer “Copy Prohibited” game saves from my dying 60GB PS3 to a new 120GB Slim PS3. The current backup/restore tool refuses to do it, and losing my progress in the games that choose to implement that flag isn’t an option for me. Seems like a pretty big blunder for Sony to force my save files to die when my console dies. I suspect you’d get more “upgraders” if that weren’t the case.

+ poweredbyzen on November 16th, 2009 at 6:57 pm said:

the best part about this update is the better organization of the photos – finally, someone realized they can be arranged the way you put pictures in a photo book!

the colors are great for the name tags but one great addition would be a NOTES field – to write the names of the friends you meet alongside their PSN name.

facebook synchronicity looks good – i’d love to show off my trophies!

+ Ckff71up on November 16th, 2009 at 6:57 pm said:

*sighs* we need Cross Game Chat please.

+ LpSquall on November 16th, 2009 at 6:57 pm said:

Definitely well played. This update is going in the right direction. I think they have the right idea in integrating services with facebook.

Perhaps a facebook Home space?

I am pretty confident they are working on the in-game cross chat, I just think they are trying to solve an issue between Home and the in-game cross chat. Home has to have the capability of utilizing the feature. When Home launched, you were able to talk to anyone in anyspace, perhaps that was Sony’s way of testing their voice chat system.

Lets us just be patient guys. Sony great job on this update.

– Lpsquall

+ KosmoCrisis on November 16th, 2009 at 6:57 pm said:

I would love to see the ability to post your own avatar for only your Friends to see.

Also, the all the trophy features from playstation.com need to come to the console. This should have happened first.

+ bloodmuffin23 on November 16th, 2009 at 6:57 pm said:

Bells and whistles are nice. Cross-game chat would be lovely right now.

+ DLawlet on November 16th, 2009 at 6:58 pm said:

Facebook is nice…but i was hoping for cross-voice chat with the newest update. :(

+ lobotomies4free on November 16th, 2009 at 6:58 pm said:

all nice features, but keep ‘em coming

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 26